2017 Emmy Nominations

edited July 2017 in Other TV
It's that time of year again - the time to get annoyed about the Television Academy continually nominating House of Cards while completely ignoring far better shows. It's the god damn Emmys.

The obvious "highlight" this year is the lack of Leftovers - nothing except a guest actress nomination for Ann Dowd, and Carrie Coon got a nomination for Fargo instead. There's some decent stuff in there too though - The Americans got some recognition again, for example. What's everyone else disappointed/surprised/happy about this year?

Comments

• You and @MrX have to fight it out for basically posting the same exact thing :D
  • MrXMrX CO
    edited July 2017
    KingKobra said:

You and @MrX have to fight it out for basically posting the same exact thing :D

ha looks like I was a few seconds late to the party .. I guess we're both following the same people on Twitter.
    KingKobra
  • Yeah I noticed that. We'll have our inevitable fight to the death once I'm finished complaining about the fact that the underwater Bojack Horseman episode also didn't get nominated. Which will be never.
    Murderbear
  • Yeah I noticed that. We'll have our inevitable fight to the death once I'm finished complaining about the fact that the underwater Bojack Horseman episode also didn't get nominated. Which will be never.

Yea that's some bullshit. I'd pit it against any episode last season on any show, animated or not.

At least we can be comforted with the fact that Bojack will be back in September!
    Murderbear
  • bizmarkiefaderbizmarkiefader San Francisco
    If House of Cards is nominated for best drama do the Emmy's even matter?
    kingbee67
  • All the ChickensAll the Chickens Birmingham, AL
    No Carrie Coon nomination for The Leftovers, but one for Fargo. The Emmy's are just trolling Jim and Aaron at this point.

Also, HBO got SO much love for pretty much all of their shows and docs, as usual. You know, except for The Leftovers.

Westworld cleaned up.
    blueberry5000
  • edited July 2017
    The Leftovers was almost completely snubbed, except for Ann Dowd. I am not surprised, but I am sad for Carrie Coon, because she very much deserved recognition for her incomparable portrayal of Nora Durst. 

But I was glad to see that Zach Galifianakis got a nod for Baskets. It is one of my favorite dark comedies, and he is really great in it as the twin brothers. Also Pamela Adlon for Better Things. And SIX nominations for Atlanta! Much deserved. All three shows are excellent and definitely worth checking out if you haven't. 
    SomeBiscuit
  • @Aspiewithalibrarycard

Definitely - I really liked Better Things, loved Atlanta, and have heard very good things about Baskets - those kind of shows all getting some recognition are a highlight of this year's picks.
  • jluzaniajluzania Denver
    edited July 2017
    Carrie Coon, Ann Dowd, and Regina King... for Fargo, The Handmaid's Tale (and the Leftovers!), and American Crime. At least they're getting recognized for something. Not that King was in enough of The Leftovers to get nominated for it this year, but a it's a little funny to see basically a repeat of last year, when she was nominated for American Crime (and I think won).

Interesting to see The Daily Show completely shut out for the second year in a row. I think it's hit its stride under Noah, but maybe not for long enough yet. 
  • MichelleMichelle California
    edited July 2017
    Hmm.  Per Yahoo's article, Carrie Coon was nommed for The Leftovers.  But on the Emmys site, it's for Fargo.  Damn it, The Leftovers deserves some love.

https://www.yahoo.com/tv/saturday-night-live-westworld-top-2017-emmy-nominations-154440169.html
This discussion has been closed.