2017 Emmy nominations

Leftovers shut out save for apparently a guest actress nomination for Ann Dowd (Patty). Liev F-ing Schreiber got another Ray Donovan nomination, yet no Justin Theroux. Leftovers is truly "The Wire" of the 2010's.

Carrie Coon was nominated ... for Fargo. Note that Fargo is in a different category than Leftovers, limited series vs. drama series, so she wasn't in direct competition w/ herself. But still.

That said nice the see The Americans, Master of None, Better Call Saul, Westworld, Atlanta get some love.

Comments

• A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    Ann Dowd got the nom for Handmaid's Tale.  See, this is why I refuse to take the Emmy's seriously.  I'm not sure why they are the way they are, but any awards show that can miss both The Wire and The Leftovers is worthless.  Kevin Spacey for Best Actor and House of Cards for Best Drama and Theroux and The Leftovers get nothing?  Get fucked.
    voodoorathisdudeness915MichelleKingKobraUnderwoodjtmy92phoenyx1023Dummyand 5 others.
  • HatorianHatorian Dagobah
    There has to be some behind the scenes shit that goes into the awards. Maybe the guys who run the nominations saw Justin T's massive schlong and they have some inferiority complex or something. Or the creator of leftovers slept with a bunch of their wives. Or HBO didn't pay the "under the table fee" to get nominated. There's gotta be a reason for the snub outside of these people actually thinking there are better shows and acting performances.
    Michelle
    No Half Measures....
  • HatorianHatorian Dagobah
    This shit just reminds me of the It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia episode from season 9 where they get all meta about the fact they never win awards or get nominated.
    DummyCaptainTrips
    No Half Measures....
  • Ann Dowd got the nom for Handmaid's Tale.  See, this is why I refuse to take the Emmy's seriously.  I'm not sure why they are the way they are, but any awards show that can miss both The Wire and The Leftovers is worthless.  Kevin Spacey for Best Actor and House of Cards for Best Drama and Theroux and The Leftovers get nothing?  Get fucked.

She got nominated for both! Supporting for Handmaid's, Guest for Leftovers
    A_Ron_Hubbard
  • Guy with some Grist for the Mill
    I love Jonathan Banks and all, but there was nothing in his performance this year putting him in emmy territory; in fact, I would argue he was a small bit player this season.  This season's focus was on the Mcgill brothers.  How in the name of all that is holy do you not nominate Michael McKean?  Uggh this award.
    Dee
    Science Bitch
  • MichelleMichelle California
    Carrie Coon actually did get nominated for The Leftovers (Best Actress in a Limited Series).  It's the only nomination that the show received though, which is pure bullshit.  Justin Theroux totally deserved at least a nomination. His performance was consistently outstanding throughout the series run.  At least Ewan McGregor was nominated for Fargo.  He does deserve that, but not as much as Justin Theroux deserves a win.  Also, where is Michael McKean for his portrayal of Chuck McGill on Better Call Saul???

I would say 'fuck the Emmys' for this reason, except that one of my favorite drama series, This is Us, scored plenty of noms and they deserve them.  But aside from that, yeah, fuck the Emmys.

I hope Justin Theroux truly knows how amazing we all think he really is and how much we appreciate what he did in and for The Leftovers.
    "Scorch the damn earth before you." - Liz Taylor, AHS
  • Michelle said:

Carrie Coon actually did get nominated for The Leftovers (Best Actress in a Limited Series).  It's the only nomination that the show received though, which is pure bullshit.  

That was for Fargo
  • MichelleMichelle California
    MrX said:

Michelle said:

Carrie Coon actually did get nominated for The Leftovers (Best Actress in a Limited Series).  It's the only nomination that the show received though, which is pure bullshit.  

That was for Fargo
    Yeah, I saw the link to the Emmys site on the other thread and saw that it's for Fargo.  I wonder why Yahoo's article says it's for The Leftovers?  

And now I will say again, fuck the Emmys.  Not exactly ladylike, I know, but damn!

Here's Yahoo's article:  https://www.yahoo.com/tv/saturday-night-live-westworld-top-2017-emmy-nominations-154440169.html
    Dummy
    "Scorch the damn earth before you." - Liz Taylor, AHS
  • hisdudeness915hisdudeness915 Atlanta, Ga
    Fuck the emmys. That's all
    DummyMichelle
  • I for one, had no issue with Carrie Coon getting snubbed. Just my feelings. Justin Theroux on the other hand should have been nominated this year and he should have been nominated and won best actor for season 2. He was extraordinary and deserved the recognition. It really was a crime that he wasn't nominated and won last year. His performances EACH episode were that good.
    I mean, that's an opinion you can have, JTKIII, but even still you think Robin Wright deserves it over Carrie Coon?  We're not talking about a win, we're talking about getting nominated.  It's so absurd that if she wins an Emmy (which she probably won't, ha) it will be for Fargo.  Which, great show, but she wasn't even the fifth best character on it.
    KingKobraMichelle
    Btw, new Bald Move TV: our reaction to the Emmy nominations.
    NoelDeeChinaskiKingKobraDummyMichelle
  • Could it be HBO only having so much capital to push for their shows in certain categories? Not really sure how the process works, but I imagine since it SAG voting for SAG, maybe she didn't rub elbows enough? Not saying it's right, but it's basically a popularity contest right?
  • edited July 13
    @gguenot Sepinwall has mentioned this a few times today; he speculates that HBO weren't interested in pushing for Leftovers, since it's finished now and never had much success in previous years, and that they were much more concerned about establishing Westworld as their big sweeper to replace Game of Thrones when it ends. Here's his article (http://uproxx.com/sepinwall/emmy-nominations-2017-stranger-things-crown-handmaids-tale-this-is-us/), and just for kicks, here's his podcast co-host Brian Grubb's impassioned plea for people to stop nominating House of Cards (http://uproxx.com/tv/house-of-cards-emmys-stop-stop-no/) because seriously, they need to stop doing that.
    gguenotKingKobraMichelle
    I said, "This is going to be the most significant televisual event since Quantum Leap. And I do not say that lightly."
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    I hated The Leftovers, as many of you know, but the acting was stellar, so it is ridiculous that Theroux didn't get nominated. I wonder if it's because hardly anyone watched it and Emmys tends to be about bigger name shows? Regardless, this calls for a Baldies redressing.
    gguenot
  • Dee said:

I hated The Leftovers, as many of you know, but the acting was stellar, so it is ridiculous that Theroux didn't get nominated. I wonder if it's because hardly anyone watched it and Emmys tends to be about bigger name shows? Regardless, this calls for a Baldies redressing.

Plot Twist: it doesn't get nominated at the Baldies
    DeeA_Ron_HubbardNoelElisa
  • kingbee67kingbee67 Los Angeles Ca.
    edited July 13
    I don't know about other cities but here in L.A. They have front page Emmy ads right in front of the L.A. Times. They put stickers for shows right next to the days headline. House Of Cards is one I remember seeing. They also paste ads on banners on the light polls all over Hollywood. I don't see many ads for HBO shows. I haven't seen ads for Leftovers since they premiered the show.
  • Alkaid13Alkaid13 Georgia
    edited July 13
    Carrie Coon being nominated for a role in Fargo that only showed off her acting chops in the last two episodes versus her run in the Leftovers is a travesty, awards shows are as usual just a general bellwheater of things to maybe watch, not the best of the year. Also HoC is entertaining but has no real reason to be on the nomination list let alone win.
  • I find the claims that Spacey doesn't deserved to be nominated just as outrageous as Coon and JT not being nominated. Spacey is incredible in every HoC season even if the writing is poor.
    Even this past year?  I thought I detected a hint of phoning it in. Like, all those times he was on a cell phone in the background of Baby Driver?  That was his House of Cards this year.
    gguenot
  • Yea I'll concede that, I did get that sense compared to past seasons. I just love FU
  • Clearly, you're supposed to answer the question of what really happened with the Leftovers yourself PFFFFFFFT

Maybe some Emmy voters got so sick of hearing how perfect a show The Leftovers is and always will be? Lil' bit?
  • WonderedObjectWonderedObject SAN Francisco, CA
    I'm in the same camp of utter disbelief. I wasn't a fan of Nora and never understood the love people had for her. But Carrie Coon gave a hell of a performance and absolutely deserves recognition for it.
    I despise the Patriots but I'm not going to act like Tom Brady isn't one of the greatest quarterbacks to play the game.
    These people at the Emmys need to pull their head out of their asses. And HBO should've done more to help them. Might not have been their most profitable show but man did they treat it like the red headed stepchild.
    KingKobraNoel

• DeeDee Adelaide
    Only because it bugged me all through the Westworld podcast and now it's popped up again in the Emmys reaction cast, Thandie Newton's name is pronounced "Tandy", @A_Ron_Hubbard and @Jim.
    ElisaKingKobraA_Ron_Hubbard
  • NoelNoel Dallas, TX
    I'm came into it late so I don't know what kind of buzz it had when it first aired, but I hope The Crown takes home some hardware. John Lithgow was amazing and I was also impressed with Claire Foy's performance. Then again, I'm someone who grew up in the US who knows very little about the royal family and British television in general.
    kingbee67
  • ChinaskiChinaski Santa Cruz, CA
    edited July 14
    glad David Thewlis got a nom. totally deserves it for simply eating rocky road on the can.

but for fuck sake, Alexander Skarsgard get a nom is such a joke. he was absolutely awful in BLL (and pretty much everything else he's in). guess you're Emmy worthy if in every scene you look the person across from you in the eye, lower your head but keep eye contact and deliver your line like you're auditioning for Batman. he's a janky Fassbender to me.
  • TaraC73TaraC73 Manchester NH
    I still can't get past Michael Mckeown (sp?) not being nominated for Chuck!!! #FuckTheEmmysForFuckingChuck!
    ChinaskiMichelleDummy
    Don't tell me what I can't do!
  • ChinaskiChinaski Santa Cruz, CA
    @TaraC73 #FuckTheEmmysForFuckingChuck!

hot damn, beautifully put!

TaraC73
  • kingbee67kingbee67 Los Angeles Ca.
    edited July 14
    Noel said:

I'm came into it late so I don't know what kind of buzz it had when it first aired, but I hope The Crown takes home some hardware. John Lithgow was amazing and I was also impressed with Claire Foy's performance. Then again, I'm someone who grew up in the US who knows very little about the royal family and British television in general.

I didn't think The Crown would get much but it was one of my favorite series last year. 
    Noel
    Dee said:

Only because it bugged me all through the Westworld podcast and now it's popped up again in the Emmys reaction cast, Thandie Newton's name is pronounced "Tandy", @A_Ron_Hubbard and @Jim.

The English language needs to get it's shit together.  Is it David Toolis, too?  
    KingKobraNoelMichelleTaraC73DeeDaveyMac