Walking Dead Suntman passes away after falling on set

Sorry if this is posted already, I saw this all over social media and wanted to pass it along. Tragic news. We all see these crazy stunts done in Hollywood and enjoy the entertainment but I never gave a second thought about the real danger the people that perform that stunt can be in.

https://www.google.com/amp/amp.tmz.com/2017/07/14/walking-dead-stuntman-john-bernecker-death-missed-safety-cushion
Alkaid13

Comments

• DrKenDrKen Chicago
    Damn.  That actor Dwight must be traumatized.  I don't know if I could handle dealing with that.  He's an actor.
    mwspiakAlkaid13
  • mwspiakmwspiak Upstate NY
    Yeah I thought about that too. I guess they shut down filming of season 8 for now, everyone must be shaken after that but yeah to be filming a scene with someone and to have that happen right next to you. I wouldn't be able to sleep for a while after going through that.

The TMZ article had the most info but I kind of hate how they have a couple quotes in there. It's so fresh and emotions are so high that to put something someone said in the moment in there isn't right but then again it's TMZ, it's not like they are a moral compass
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    Wow, that is incredibly sad.  We talk a lot about the "below the line" types that don't get a lot of fame or glory for the television we love so much, but stunt men and woman... they're right up there with race car drivers and NFL lineman for bodily abuse and risk taking for our pleasure, but are paid a fraction of the cost. 

I do hope they can do a fair and thorough review of the on set safety, tighten things up, and punish severely any gross neglect, if there is any found.  Cutting corners on scripts and production is one thing, but you absolutely cannot play with people's lives.
    GredalBeeAlkaid13mwspiak
  • The stuntman's gf is already blaming the actor.
  • bizmarkiefaderbizmarkiefader San Francisco
    Unless the actor straight up pushed him off or really, really fucked up I can't imagine how it'd be his fault? It's really hard to tell without hearing the whole story
    DrKenmwspiakNikki
  • DrKenDrKen Chicago

Unless the actor straight up pushed him off or really, really fucked up I can't imagine how it'd be his fault? It's really hard to tell without hearing the whole story

I can't imagine a scenario where it could be his fault.  If he fucked up it's because he wasn't told the correct things to do.

The fact that he could potentially even cause that to happen (if he could) means he shouldn't have been there to begin with.  It should have been another stuntman. 

It's horribly sad.

@bizmarkiefader  PS - I'm not saying you are saying it's his fault.  I'm agreeing with you.
    bizmarkiefadermwspiak
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    I don't suggest at all that there was negligence before a proper investigation, but this tragedy does not marry well with the recent revelations of AMC slashing production budgets to stuff more cash in their pockets.

And I'm no safety expert, but I would think any stunt like that falling from a ledge, the cushion should cover the event of a fall directly beneath the ledge all the way to the max trajectory one could have from the ledge.  

High Fall Model 50
    fall rating 50ft (15.2m) @ 250 lb (113 kg)
    10ft x 14ft x 5ft  (3m x 4.2m x 1.5m)
    inflation time 48 seconds
    re-inflation time 15 seconds
    255 lbs (115.6 kg)
    one blower 45 lbs (20.4 kg)
    $8,280.00

High Fall Model 150
    fall rating 150ft (45.7m) @ 250 lb (113 kg)
    25ft x 30ft x 15ft (7.6m x 9.1m x 4.5m)
    inflation time 90 seconds
    re-inflation time 35 seconds
    1,160 lbs (571.5 kg)
    two blowers 45 lbs (20.4 kg) each
    $13,930.00

What's an extra $5,560 if it's going to more than double the safety area where the stunt guy is falling?

So sad and unnecessary.   
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    @cdrive Yeah, I'd be willing to bet there's some AMC tightarsery behind this. :-(
  • I do hope the guys talk about this in the preview for season 8. Sad to hear about this though and I really hope it's not another budget thing, I know we don't know the whole story
    mwspiak