What are your plans/ritual for GoT nights?

FreddyFreddy Denton, Texas
edited July 16 in Game of Thrones
I know most people just do their normal weekend thing with Game of Thrones capping it off. This season me and one of my good friends decided to do Sunday dinners for most of the episodes. He didn't start watching the series until this year, and now that he's caught up he's all in on making a ritual out of the remaining episodes.

For tonight we're keeping it pretty simple with deer burgers, craft beer, and then port wine during the show. I had a couple of pounds of some great ground venison/brisket meat in the freezer that a friend gave me, and we're going straight up traditional American style. No fancy cheeses or weird toppings. Just really high quality ingredients and solid preparations. Went out and picked up a couple of Nub Connecticuts for after dinner and to kick things off:
For the show itself, went with a nice bottle of 20 year old Fonseca:
Next weekend we're doing an old school red sauce and pasta dinner with some hot Italian venison sausage (same deer) as the meat for the sauce. We'll probably pop open a nice bottle of wine for that one. Not sure what yet, but my friend is a rep for Republic National and has a solid collection. As far as the port goes (did I mention we're drinking port the entire time for the episodes themselves? ha ha), we'll go with something a little cheaper. Maybe a 10 year, or possibly just bottom of the barrel Sandeman.

Haven't figured out the rest of the season just yet, but we're definitely doing 2 whole spit roasted chickens if we're confident of a Clegane Bowl episode. We're also doing a rack of lamb at some point; more than likely the penultimate episode since for the season finale we're doing prime rib and yorkshire pudding.

Now as far as the port is concerned, we actually took a bunch of sweet red wine, sugar, and a bottle of Remy Martin VSOP, and threw it in a glass carboy a while back. By the time the penultimate episode is here, it will have aged just enough to be ready. We would save opening it for the season finale, but just in case it sucks we'll donate it to the nearest homeless shelter and go with a nice 30 Year Sandeman (already have a bottle of 40 year saved for the series finale). The  mixture tastes fine now (actually tastes like solid young port already), but for something as awesome as the second to last season finale of the greatest show ever, we aren't going with what's essentially just a cognac and wine cocktail. Refined degenerates like myself need a little complexity; even if it's only about 90 days worth. FYI, we named our concoction "GoT Port". If it's fantastic, we will be getting some more carboys and starting up 10, 20, 30, and 40 year batches.

So what are your Sunday GoT plans?
cdriveDani_ArmindoCarrieShevsMichelletreerocks

Comments

• ThomasThomas North Carolina
    I need to step my game up.  I am drinking some Canadian whiskey, with my dog curled up on the couch next to me.
    FreddyakritenbrinkDani_ArmindoMichelle
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    edited July 16
    Dayum, @Freddy. That does not suck.

I have some nice Anejo 'sipper' tequila I'll get into tonight. Not sure what my wife is cooking. I've been working out in the country all day. But I do see a measuring cup filled with wine so it's gonna be extra nice. We were gonna have some friends over for a watch but too many of us just recently recovered from a virus so the Plan B is to just chill.

Let us know how that GoT port turns out. Sounds pretty cool.
    FreddyMichelle
  • Vasilnate1Vasilnate1 Salem, MA
    edited July 16
    Hopefully I dont get arrested, the neighbors may call the cops if they keep hearing me yell "Fooking Coonts!" at the top of my lungs. ;-0
    FreddycdriveakritenbrinkLittleLionessMichellewasi
  • FreddyFreddy Denton, Texas
    Man. Showed up and my friend went and opened it up just to see how its coming along. GoT Port is already a success.
    Michelle
    edited July 16
    Alright @Jim and @A_Ron_Hubbard , if yall ever make it to Dallas or I ever make it to Cincinnati, I've got a bottle of GoT Port with Baldmove's name on it.
    cdriveakritenbrinkMichelleMelonusk
  • tpelzytpelzy Dallas
    Alright @Jim and @A_Ron_Hubbard , if yall ever make it to Dallas or I ever make it to Cincinnati, I've got a bottle of GoT Port with Baldmove's name on it.
    If you ever make it to Dallas, I've got a bottle of Evan Williams with Baldmove's name on it. Sorry I'm poor lol. 

The closest thing I've ever had to a ritual was when I used to work at a restaurant on Sundays. I would make myself a dinner to-go and bring a gallon jug of sweet tea and some food to the guys who lived in my dorm and we would all watch it together. 
    cdriveFreddy
    ^ @Freddy , @tpelzy and other TX & surrounding area folks:

Let's just say in some crazy sauce idea, Bald Move is at Comicapalooza in May '18 in Houston... A) would y'all drive down to Houston that weekend to check it out and (B) would you throw in $10/$20/$50 tops to help crowd fund with other TX BM fans to help make it happen? (Which would be refunded if it didn't happen or if the Con came through with accommodations)
    tpelzyFreddyjetsetgo
  • OldGriswoldOldGriswold Brooklyn
    If you make it to NYC, I've got a bottle of New York's finest, Eau de Catskills, waiting for you.

My GoT ritual used to be sitting down in front of my projector screen at 8.55, turning off all the lights, and just enjoying. Now with a small baby, it will probably be watching when I can't get back to sleep after a middle of the night sleep/change/feed cycle
    Michelle
  • DrKenDrKen Chicago
    Tito's vodka. Ice.

Deep dish sausage pizza from Lou Malnati's.
    ChinaskiFreddycdriveMichelle
  • tpelzytpelzy Dallas
    @cdrive I'm down. You should make a thread for this in like 6 months. 
    cdrive
  • ChinaskiChinaski Santa Cruz, CA
    DrKen said:

Tito's vodka. Ice.

fuck dude, that sounds like a kick ass night in general!
    DrKen
    DrKen said:

Tito's vodka. Ice.

Lou Malnatis is the best!
    DrKen
  • MichaelGMichaelG Seattle
    Definitely have a ritual, usually involving food/drink that feels in-universe: lots of wine, fruit, cheese, bread and olive oil, fine meats, etc.  Such nerds in this house.  
    Freddy
  • DrKenDrKen Chicago
    cdrive said:

DrKen said:

Tito's vodka. Ice.

That Sam shit montage had me rethinking my decisions.
    cdriveakritenbrinkKingKobrahisdudeness915Michelle
  • MichaelGMichaelG Seattle
    DrKen said:

cdrive said:

DrKen said:

Tito's vodka. Ice.

That Sam shit montage had me rethinking my decisions.
    The Skyline/Cincinnati Chili ritual is right out!
    akritenbrink
  • akritenbrinkakritenbrink Lynnwood, WA (Seattle area)
    I don't eat during TV shows I really want to focus on; it's just a funny thing for me. I did drink a beer (Ninkasi Brewing Maiden in the Shade). 

My ritual is to remind Colin 10-15 times not to look at Facebook after 6 PM to avoid spoilers, and that we should start watching at 9 and please don't smoke any more weed today because you're at the "laughing at everything I say" phase, you're laughing at me right now, and I need you to be present!!! LOL

Well, that did happen, but luckily, it's not a ritual. (I just wanted to make sure he stayed awake and I didn't have to wait for tomorrow). We just make sure to be around when the show starts and turn off all the lights, gather up the cats and the quilts and watch the show. 
    cdriveDummyVasilnate1Michelle
  • My routine this year will be trying to see each episode the night it airs in between caring for a newborn and toddler. So far so good! Was able to squeeze it in.
    cdrive
  • jluzaniajluzania Denver
    We did make it more of an event last night than we normally do. We had friends over, made chicken, rolls, and potatoes, and cracked open some wine and two of the Ommegang beers I'd been saving. I also wore my Lannister tee all day yesterday. I expect the remaining six episodes to be more routine.
    edited July 18
    Here is the carboy of the GoT Port (minus a tester bottle, ha ha):
    This is the fun wall:
    I didn't take any pictures of the deer burgers since they weren't anything special to look at. I'll definitely post picks of the cooler dishes we do. Oh yeah, and that smaller bottle with the cork in it is a port mix we did with some cheap brandy my friend had lying around. Something just to see if there is that much of a difference since a big part of this whole project is finding out if a great bottle of cognac makes for a noticeably different, if not outright better, port then you can buy in the store. The cheaper one definitely tastes way cheaper, but it's way too early to tell. The carboy has already changed the flavor of the Remy based blend to something better than we started with.
    DrKencdriveMichelle
  • NoelNoel Dallas, TX
    cdrive said:

^ @Freddy , @tpelzy and other TX & surrounding area folks:

Let's just say in some crazy sauce idea, Bald Move is at Comicapalooza in May '18 in Houston... A) would y'all drive down to Houston that weekend to check it out and (B) would you throw in $10/$20/$50 tops to help crowd fund with other TX BM fans to help make it happen? (Which would be refunded if it didn't happen or if the Con came through with accommodations)

It would depend on the exact date. When do they usually announce them?
    cdriveFreddy
    ^ not sure when they release the date but looks like last year it was announced in January that Robert Englund was a guest with the date established.
    NoelFreddy
  • LittleLionessLittleLioness Pennsylvania
    I have to have a cold bottle of Victory Sour Cherry kirsch gose beer.
  • NoelNoel Dallas, TX
    @cdrive If it does go down in Houston, how long until we all start arguing about football? I'll be wearing my Cowboys hat. Or the hat of whatever sport y'all are in the mood to argue about. May is basketball season.
    cdrive
  • HatorianHatorian Dagobah
    Wake up, call off sick and watch GOT at 9am in the morning is my ritual given the time difference...
    akritenbrinkMichelle
  • Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA
    Hatorian said:

Wake up, call off sick and watch GOT at 9am in the morning is my ritual given the time difference...

Your work must love you for the 2 1/2 months that a typical GoT season usually lasts. 
    KingKobraakritenbrinkHatorianMichelle
    Noel said:

@cdrive If it does go down in Houston, how long until we all start arguing about football? I'll be wearing my Cowboys hat. Or the hat of whatever sport y'all are in the mood to argue about. May is basketball season.

You're probably aware, but there's no shortage of Cowboy fans in Houston already!  Come May looking back on the NFL season I think y'all will have bragging rights over us again.  Hopefully Rockets will be in the WCF during that time.  The real rivalry is Astros-Rangers and we always seem to play a series in May and June.  Good times.  Hopefully this gets enough momentum to happen.  If you build it they will come.    
    Alright Young Movers. I've got pics coming later. Low end Sandeman tonight.
    cdrive
    Just got home. Fuck me... No shit... A big storm hit tonight. Lightning striking while we drank and cheered Urine on.
    DummycdriveMichelle
  • NoelNoel Dallas, TX
    Freddy said:

Just got home. Fuck me... No shit... A big storm hit tonight. Lightning striking while we drank and cheered Urine on.

What happened to the "30% between 1 and 4am" forecast from Sunday morning? HBO GO came in clutch since I planned on catching the west coast showing on DirecTV, which had no chance in that storm.