701-"Dragonstone"

15678911»

Comments

• Off topic...but does anyone listen to the Binge Mode podcast?  If so, what regional accent does Mallory Rubin have?  It's been driving me crazy!

I do, but not sure on the region...
  • Watching shows with the internet community is becoming problematic.  I think Mr. Robot Season 2 and Westworld would have been better without all the speculation; I really don't feel like being spoiled on Game of Thrones. 
    KingKobraDeeDaveyMacDummyphoenyx1023
  • LukeLuke Central Illinois

Luke said:

Just FYI some of the spoiler predictions did make it into the podcast and are starting to leak into these discussions.

I'm not sure if people are just happening to guess correctly or if they for whatever dumb reason are trying to get fake internet points.

I thought the leaks were bs, but they got the first episode right.

I want to ask which ones but I don't want to talk about spoilers....dammit. I listened to the Storm of Spoilers pre-season cast and they talked about one that made me really regret listening to it but then I realized it had speculated on loooong before it had leaked. Like, a season or two ago.

I think that's the nature of the beast. So many people are trying to come up with theories that someone is bound to nail one eventually. Hell, GRRM said years ago someone on the internet nailed the ending. At the same time, you definitely see people using spoilers as their own and that's pretty lame.
    Well someone also called the Hodor thing to GRRM in an elevator years ago , which I find baffling.

To answer your question without really saying what was leaks, it was the stuff that was posted to this forum in its own thread like 3 or 4 months ago. A bunch of people said it sounded too outlandish to be true, but it nailed the first episode.

As far as what has been passed off into this forum and the podcast it has been tame, almost sounds like people spitballing. But I'm enough of a skeptic that whenever someone even hits close to what I know are leaks it makes me wonder.
  • MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky
    How about this: We make everyone promise to keep these kinds of threads spoiler free and if you have spoilers you want to share, use or create the appropriate spoiler thread. And to entice those people, those threads will be worth DOUBLE internet points! Everyone wins!
  • bizmarkiefaderbizmarkiefader San Francisco
    DaveyMac said:

With all the dragon talk on the podcast I was just wondering what would happen if the White Walkers got a hold of one of Dany's dragons. I'm assuming it would become an ice-breathing dragon. That would certainly level the playing field and make for some badass imagery.

Apologies if this has already come up btw.

I'm not sure what would happen if the WW tried to turn a regular dragon, but there are ice dragons in canon. They sound pretty rad:

http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Ice_dragon

Ice dragons are said to roam the Shivering Sea and the White Waste. Reportedly, they are far larger than the dragons of Valyria and are made of living ice, with eyes of pale blue crystal, vast translucent wings, and breath of cold.
    DaveyMac
  • the solution to spoilers is clearly a misinformation campaign, overwhelm the real spoilers with fake ones so that even when exposed to them nobody believes the real spoilers and will still be surprised.  hey, it worked for trump.
    CretanBullVasilnate1MurderbearcdriveDummy
    @voodoorat As much as I hate those stupid compare everything to Game of Thrones think pieces, now I can't stop thinking about Trump in the GoT universe. PC culture has gone too far! Jon Snow lets wildlings through the wall to murder our women. Sick or bad guy! Wildling ban now!

• Natter CastNatter Cast San Francisco, CA

"I'm off to the Riverlands to try to secure the Twins before the Starks seize the bridge. Try not to blow up any churches or drive any of our children to suicide while I'm gone."

"We don't have any more churches...or any more children."

"Then it should be easy for you."

• LukeLuke Central Illinois
    I'm not really worried about a show being predictable because of spoilers. I'm pretty sure it was Aron or Jim that said spoilers don't really matter if things are executed well. Twists for twists sake are only really entertaining once, so if there isn't anything else behind a show like good acting, effects, etc. spoilers will only spoil a bad show.

So far I'm really liking the pace of the show and some of my favorite characters are getting stuff to do. But some of the leaks are really fan fiction level stuff imo. Lets just hope they weren't bluffing when they said HBO spent some serious money this season on effects.
  • MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky
    edited July 2017
    @bizmarkiefader Have you seen this? It's from Feb 2016 but it works really well.

bizmarkiefaderkingbee67
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    @akritenbrink I'm totally with you on Mr Robot. I stopped listening or looking at forums about halfway through the season and my enjoyment went up immensely. Sometimes you're just on the right wavelength for a show and listening to other people talk about far flung android theories and constant Esmail psychoanalysis is just annoying instead of adding depth.

It's true something that was spoiled can still be entertaining if it's done well but it seems kinda crazy to say that it doesn't matter, especially on a show with as much setup as GoT. I still remember what my living room looked like when that sword fell on Ned and I very clearly remember angrily flipping through the Red Wedding and I don't think that would have been the same at all if I knew what was coming.
  • gguenotgguenot CA
    edited July 2017
    Was reading a Dorkly "article" on "things you missed in the season 7 premiere " blah blah blah and came across this

She walked 20 MILES from the beach to the castle?!

Edit : UGHHH Why cant I upload a picture properly?
  • DaveyMac said:

With all the dragon talk on the podcast I was just wondering what would happen if the White Walkers got a hold of one of Dany's dragons. I'm assuming it would become an ice-breathing dragon. That would certainly level the playing field and make for some badass imagery.

Apologies if this has already come up btw.

I'm not sure what would happen if the WW tried to turn a regular dragon, but there are ice dragons in canon. They sound pretty rad:

http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Ice_dragon

Ice dragons are said to roam the Shivering Sea and the White Waste. Reportedly, they are far larger than the dragons of Valyria and are made of living ice, with eyes of pale blue crystal, vast translucent wings, and breath of cold.
    Wow cool. I think I'd heard somewhere that they were canon, but I've never seen that description before. Thanks for sharing! 
  • Luke said:

I'm not really worried about a show being predictable because of spoilers. I'm pretty sure it was Aron or Jim that said spoilers don't really matter if things are executed well. Twists for twists sake are only really entertaining once, so if there isn't anything else behind a show like good acting, effects, etc. spoilers will only spoil a bad show.

So far I'm really liking the pace of the show and some of my favorite characters are getting stuff to do. But some of the leaks are really fan fiction level stuff imo. Lets just hope they weren't bluffing when they said HBO spent some serious money this season on effects.

For me, getting spoiled on something doesn't ruin a good show, book, movie, whatever, but it can take away from the joy of discovery and being surprised by what unfolds onscreen. Over the past few years, I've really gone out of my way to avoid knowing too much about a story before going in and I've found that I have just enjoyed things a lot more since I've stopped watching trailers and building up expectations. Even little things like seeing an actor I wasn't expecting can be delightful if I have no knowledge prior to watching.

Having said all that, I don't really get angry if someone spoils something for me. Especially if it's a quality product to begin with. I was spoiled on Ned before starting GOT, so instead of surprise I had a strong feeling of dread, especially for Arya and Sansa, which was also very powerful.

Anyway, here's to hoping users in these normal episode threads keep things honest and follow the Wil Wheaton philosophy when posting.   
  • i generally consider myself a relatively intelligent human being, but the fact that sandor would be the obvious choice as a receptacle for the r'hllor's visions totally blew me away. i mean... the dude is the MOST touched by fire, yes? and in the not so nice way that that particular god seems to prefer...

pretty obvious that even dondarion was shocked at the details/intensity of the hound's visions.
    Sonja121187Vasilnate1
  • edited July 2017
    I was wondering, could mammoths use subsonic noises like elephants to control dragons? Like living dragon horns?
    Maybe Euron can catch a few at eastwatch where they try to swim around the wall. He could also have saved some giants, that would be a nice present, If they are willing to fight for him.

• Schlupp said:

I was wondering, could mammoths use subsonic noises like elephants to control dragons? Like living dragon horns?
    Maybe Euron can catch a few at eastwatch where they try to swim around the wall. He could also have saved some giants, that would be a nice present, If they are willing to fight for him.

There are no more Giants...
  • ThomasThomas North Carolina
    Anybody catch the SDCC GoT trailer for tomorrow?  I think it answers a lot of the questions asked in this weeks podcasts.
  • BTW, just a little note from another corner of the internet where I spend time... When Lady Mormont said she wasn't going to sit knitting by the fire, a lot of knitters got mad haha. 

There is a time and place for knitting by the fire. In Lady Mormont's opinion it is not while men are dying for her. No slur on knitting implied.

• Lol, I get it, I think my sense of humor is sometimes too dry when written out.
  • There can be an argument made for having people on the home front doing things to support the armies, like knitting things for them to wear or whatever. But I think the main issue people had was that you don't have to trash talk traditional women's roles to be a badass woman. Personally I wasn't super upset by it or anything, just thought it was funny, and wanted to share another point of view.

Are the people that are upset actually watching the show? I think it's been well proven where many men (on the show) think women belong.
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    edited July 2017
    I never imagined how much drama knitters could get themselves into until I started reading the old Livejournal knitting communities years ago. Those people would go off like a frog in a sock about anything!