701-"Dragonstone"

Comments

• jluzaniajluzania Denver
    edited July 2017
    I do wonder if we will ever get an explanation for "why now" for the Walkers. It wouldn't surprise me if Martin and/or the Double Ds just don't address it, leave it as another mystery. That said, it could be as simple as that's simply how long the Walkers' hibernation cycle lasts and they woke up a few decades ago for the first time in centuries.
  • CJwriterCJwriter North of the Wall... MT

Dragonstone can easily be used to control access to King's Landing from the sea, or as a launch point against King's Landing.  Pretty silly that it wasn't garrisoned in general, Dany or no......

In the books, of course, Loras Tyrell (of the King's Guard) is sent to Dragonstone to siege and capture it.
  • KingKobra said:

Thomas said:

Was that Won Won as a giant?  His face looked just like Won Won and he was missing an eye.  If that is the case, than that means Bran was looking into the future, where they now have giants.  But, wasn't Won Won supposedly the last of the giants?  Or just one of the last ones?

Hey have more than one Giant (as others died before we met won won and the rest a few seasons ago). So the vision while being ofnthe future was just meant to show how large he army was (and that they had multiple Giants). It could have very well be won won, if they didn't burn his body after he died).
    No way it's Wun Wun.  Wun Wun died at Winterfell.  Are you telling me that they dragged his body all the way North, past the Wall, and then just left it there?  No chance.  Has to be a different giant.
    The problem is we don't know where that army was. Were they North of the wall? South of the wall? All we saw was a gray plain with the storm/army coming. I was assuming different Giants, but was just hypothesizing based on the post I quoted. I would also assume they burned his body, but we don't KNOW for sure, we'd have to assume they did ;)
  • This episode blew its entire wad on the Frey massacre opening. 

Tyrion had zero lines, I guess his script for the episode just said "walk forward stoically," unfortunately Emilia Clarke's acting ability isn't strong enough to sell the emotion of her first landing in Westeros so the entire final scene felt completely flat due to the fact that it rested entirely on her laurels. 

Zombie giants, diarrhea, and Ed Sheeran, oh boy. Season 7 is going to be.......something.
    kojiattwood
  • edited July 2017
    KingKobra said:

KingKobra said:

The problem is we don't know where that army was. Were they North of the wall? South of the wall? All we saw was a gray plain with the storm/army coming. I was assuming different Giants, but was just hypothesizing based on the post I quoted. I would also assume they burned his body, but we don't KNOW for sure, we'd have to assume they did ;)
    Assuming you're talking about the Walkers army?  Have to guess that they are north of the Wall still otherwise we completely missed a huge moment of them crossing or bypassing the Wall.  So, going under that assumption (which is a safe bet I'd say, or something I'd be willing to put money on), then we know for sure that Wun Wun died at Winterfell, so I'd still have to say that there is no way they brought his body north of the Wall and then just left it out there as oppose to burning it.  I mean, if the Walkers were now south of the Wall, you'd think there would have been some sort of sighting of them and reports flying around saying the army of the undead has been spotted.  Just doesn't make sense for the show to skip this moment and actually show us that the Walkers are now south.
  • ca1289aca1289a Maryland

I feel like every episode provides additional evidence for this fan theory:

www.blindestspot.tumblr.com/post/50820774456/jonxsansa

Anyone else on this ship? Come at me, bro.

• " unfortunately Emilia Clarke's acting ability isn't strong enough to sell the emotion of her first landing in Westeros so the entire final scene felt completely flat due to the fact that it rested entirely on her laurels. 

Yep, when she's in an ensemble situation with other great actors, they can carry her, but on her own, it's clear she's not on their level, by and large.
    thereliablenarratorsquare_bear
  • MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky

KingKobra said:

KingKobra said:

Assuming you're talking about the Walkers army?  Have to guess that they are north of the Wall still otherwise we completely missed a huge moment of them crossing or bypassing the Wall.  So, going under that assumption (which is a safe bet I'd say, or something I'd be willing to put money on), then we know for sure that Wun Wun died at Winterfell, so I'd still have to say that there is no way they brought his body north of the Wall and then just left it out there as oppose to burning it.  I mean, if the Walkers were now south of the Wall, you'd think there would have been some sort of sighting of them and reports flying around saying the army of the undead has been spotted.  Just doesn't make sense for the show to skip this moment and actually show us that the Walkers are now south.
    And was it just me or did that lead giant look a whole lot taller than Wun-Wun?
    GredalBee
  • ca1289a said:

I feel like every episode provides additional evidence for this fan theory:

www.blindestspot.tumblr.com/post/50820774456/jonxsansa

Anyone else on this ship? Come at me, bro.

Granted, I didn't read this whole theory because I don't have the time currently, but I don't see it.  I don't see Jon or Sansa viewing themselves as anything but a brother/sister relationship and I don't see the Starks condoning that type of Targaryen relationship amongst themselves. 
  • All the ChickensAll the Chickens Birmingham, AL
    Not sure why people think that because nothing happened when Bran went through the wall, that means he didn't break the magic. What happened to the cave? Nothing. After Bran broke the spell, nothing physically changed about the cave or the door.
    It wasn't until the Nights King arrived when he placed his hand on the ground and cracked the ice all the way through the cave entrance.

There's no reason to think that anything physical would have happened when Bran walked through the Wall, or that it's evidence of the magic still being in place. 

It sounds like the White Walkers and their army of meat puppets are going to attack East Watch by the Sea, based on Jon sending Tormund there and the Hound seeing it being attacked in the flames. I can't wait to see that castle.
    KingKobravoodooratDummyMurderbearElisa
    I loved this episode.

Minor quibbles:

-Where the heck did Euron get 1,000 ships? I'm sure Yara and Theon didn't steal the entire fleet but the last time we saw him, he was asking the Iron Islanders to give him 1,000 ships and he'll give them the world. Cool. Did you build those ships out of rocks and ugly people? That's all your island has, right?

- Ed Sheeran. Moving on.

- The Sam slop/chamber pot/slop/books/slop/chamber pot sequence went on far way too long. It was gross, then I came around, then it lost me, kinda came back in that "I can't believe they are still doing this" kind of way and then it just. Kept. Going.

- Subtitles ruining the Jorah surprise in the Citadel.

- Sansa. It's been said a bunch on here already but I agree with her point, but definitely not her actions. It makes everyone, not just Jon, look weak in that situation. She's been through too much shit in this world to act like a bratty teenager. My hope is that Bran comes back to Winterfell and, no idea if he has this power but give her a glimpse of what is lurking above The Wall. Then she'll know she HAS to put the petty shit aside.

But yeah, those are all pretty nit-picky things and I'm so happy it's Game of Thrones time again!!
    akritenbrinkvoodooratDummy
  • ThomasThomas North Carolina
    edited July 2017
    KingKobra said:

Thomas said:

Was that Won Won as a giant?  His face looked just like Won Won and he was missing an eye.  If that is the case, than that means Bran was looking into the future, where they now have giants.  But, wasn't Won Won supposedly the last of the giants?  Or just one of the last ones?

Hey have more than one Giant (as others died before we met won won and the rest a few seasons ago). So the vision while being ofnthe future was just meant to show how large he army was (and that they had multiple Giants). It could have very well be won won, if they didn't burn his body after he died).
    I am pretty sure the books, and the show, mention that Wun Wun was the last living giant.  So the ones seen in the background could be ones they revived (like how a lot of the people are pure skeletons).  Also, they appear to have dragged Wun Won's body out of Winterfell, so maybe they were returning it north of the wall in order to destroy it.  His body doesn't look very decomposed.  We see Jon in wildling attire out in what looks like the north, so I assume Winterfell falls this season.
  •  - Sansa. It's been said a bunch on here already but I agree with her point, but definitely not her actions. It makes everyone, not just Jon, look weak in that situation. She's been through too much shit in this world to act like a bratty teenager.

I think she's acting more like Cersei than she even realizes.
    Murderbearakritenbrink
  • KingKobra said:

KingKobra said:

The problem is that the scene was a vision, we do t know when/where it was. Was it the future? Is it a live look? That's why we/I are/am saying things like we are ;) that doesn't mean they are there "now", the vision just shows them walking somewhere/sometime.
  • All the ChickensAll the Chickens Birmingham, AL
    The biggest issue with that being an undead Wun Wun we see in Brans vision, aside from the idea that Jon wouldn't burn his body, is that the missing eye on the wight giant is the wrong eye. It could be a cgi editing mistake that made it's way nto the show, I guess.

See below:

Wun Wun shot in this eye: image

The wight giant is missing the other eye:

• Thomas said:

KingKobra said:

Thomas said:

I am pretty sure the books, and the show, mention that Wun Wun was the last living giant.  So the ones seen in the background could be ones they revived (like how a lot of the people are pure skeletons).  Also, they appear to have dragged Wun Won's body out of Winterfell, so maybe they were returning it north of the wall in order to destroy it.  His body doesn't look very decomposed.  We see Jon in wildling attire out in what looks like the north, so I assume Winterfell falls this season.
    No, they mentioned it in the show that he was the last living giant. We know atnone time there were more (possibly many more). We just don't know where the Giants in the army came from (we have to assume it's a mix of "current"/older ones ;)

• The biggest issue with that being an undead Wun Wun we see in Brans vision, aside from the idea that Jon wouldn't burn his body, is that the missing eye on the wight giant is the wrong eye. It could be a cgi editing mistake that made it's way nto the show, I guess.

See below:

Wun Wun shot in this eye: image

The wight giant is missing the other eye:

Maybe Bran's visions are like looking in a mirror? Lol I don't know, seems like it'd be a pretty dumb mistake to make it to air.

- Sansa. It's been said a bunch on here already but I agree with her point, but definitely not her actions. It makes everyone, not just Jon, look weak in that situation. She's been through too much shit in this world to act like a bratty teenager.

I think she's acting more like Cersei than she even realizes.
    Indeed. After she said she learned a lot from her, my first thought "Oh, so she feels like she needs to be a stone cold bitch at all times. Yay...."
  • JaimieT said:

Ignorance is bliss: I had no idea who Ed Sheeran was and just thought, oh, some guy who can actually sing is singing for once. And he wrote the song, of course, he's talented and practiced, yet he has to be a soldier. It seemed like fucking S1-S2 "character development that isn't obvious," which is nice for a change. And I'm sticking with that head canon, lol.

And here I was thinking the Lannisters sacked the Shire and conscripted a hobbit.
    GuyakritenbrinkElisa
    There is no way that was Wun-Wun ya'll. He died in WINTERFELL. There were lots of other giants. I'm sure these were the guys that attacked the wall with Mance.
    ghm3akritenbrinkjluzania
  • edited July 2017
    If I was an archer against Giants or dragons I would always aim for the eyes. Maybe fingernails. Or through the ears. After all arrows are just long pencils with feathers. How many gold dragons is a dinner reservation for a giant?

• KingKobra said:

KingKobra said:

The problem is that the scene was a vision, we do t know when/where it was. Was it the future? Is it a live look? That's why we/I are/am saying things like we are ;) that doesn't mean they are there "now", the vision just shows them walking somewhere/sometime.

Ok, if that was an actual vision of something to come, then yeah, I could it as Wun Wun.  My initial take was that it was something that was happening, not an actual vision.  Guess I would have to back and re-watch that scene and how it transitions into the next thing we see.  But my initial thought was that was just a shot of the WWs marching forwards, thus showing that they are coming.  If it's a future thing, then sure, it's possible the Night King raises Wun Wun from the dead to join his army.

As for "other giants", we've already seen other giants.  See Mance's attack on the Wall.  The night's watch killed a giant in the tunnel.  So, clearly before that battle (on the show), Wun Wun was not the last giant.  Pretty sure there were a few other giants involved in that battle as well.

• I'm expecting Jacquen to seek revenge on Arya for spitting in his face and using the faceless men scheme for her own personal benefit. I think her days are numbered as Jacquen will strike when she least expects.
    Murderbear
  • ThomasThomas North Carolina

KingKobra said:

KingKobra said:

Ok, if that was an actual vision of something to come, then yeah, I could it as Wun Wun.  My initial take was that it was something that was happening, not an actual vision.  Guess I would have to back and re-watch that scene and how it transitions into the next thing we see.  But my initial thought was that was just a shot of the WWs marching forwards, thus showing that they are coming.  If it's a future thing, then sure, it's possible the Night King raises Wun Wun from the dead to join his army.

As for "other giants", we've already seen other giants.  See Mance's attack on the Wall.  The night's watch killed a giant in the tunnel.  So, clearly before that battle (on the show), Wun Wun was not the last giant.  Pretty sure there were a few other giants involved in that battle as well.

After the battle with Mance though I am pretty sure they say he is the last of his kind (maybe family?).  Either way, I think it is interesting that they would zoom in on his face, the giant with one eye who looks just like WW.  But, at the same time, everything isn't something in GoT (unlike WestWorld where damn near every little detail meant something).
    edited July 2017
    JTKIII said:

I'm expecting Jacquen to seek revenge on Arya for spitting in his face and using the faceless men scheme for her own personal benefit. I think her days are numbered as Jacquen will strike when she least expects.

Wow. Great point! I was so excited and pleased with our Lil' Assassin's handiwork that I didn't even think of the repercussions.
    Aliser Thorne begrudgingly admitted to Jon he was right and they should have flooded the gate chamber to freeze and solidify the bottom of The Wall. So.....is that not still a good idea? I mean, it made it easy for Bran to get in but hey guys, there is still an undead army coming! Every little bit helps!
  • edited July 2017
    Man you guys killed it with Type O Negative Euron.  Here he is live in the late 90s.

Dummyhisdudeness915voodooratkojiattwoodElisaweeniegirlnstinsonGarageMovieGuy
  • Are we supposed to believe that the giant wight that they zoomed into was Wun Wun because of the single blue eye?? How would that even be?
    Murderbear
  • I have a take on Sansa and Jons public disagreement. I think she is playing Little Finger. She showed him what he can take as a chink in the armor of their new relationship. This way she can get a better idea of his plans.
    When she was talking to Jon afterwards she realized that she was playing Jon to when she mentioned Jof. She paused then the conversation went different. This could be her playing Jon too. She saw that her tactics weren't working so she gathered herself and changed strategies.
    I hope she's not playing Jon, but I do think she is playing "the game". What do you guys think?
  • I don't understand how Ed Sheeran was such a distraction? Are we all shocked to see popular actors in other roles? Was Sansa Stark distracting when she was playing Jean Grey? Was it super hard to swallow Mad Max Rockatansky playing William Wallace?? Not really... However, I was taken aback by The Hound using the term "Top Knot". I understand they existed but it just sounds like such a modern term.