Why isn't Cersei freaking out about the dragons?

tpelzytpelzy Dallas
edited July 2017 in Game of Thrones
I was listening to the instant podcast earlier and I had a realization that totally broke my suspension of disbelief. Shouldn't Cersei be freaking out about Danny's dragons? It would be one thing if she was blindsided by the invasion, but she clearly has people keeping an eye on Danaerys. How can she know that Tyrion is advising Danny, and not know that Danny has three grown ass, battle tested dragons? It would be as if people in the 18th century had a weapon that was comparable to a nuke, but people forgot how to make it. And one day North Korea had one. I think that would be news worthy. Literally everyone in every major city in Westeros should be talking about it. 
ElisaLlauren

Comments

• Much like everyone else, hearing about them and seeing them are two very different things. Most everyone she/we have met have downplayed the Dragons until they meet them. Also, Cersi (as it was said in the show) has a lot on her plate right now. Dragons, are just one of about 48585858 issues she's dealing with ;)
  • And they're all massing a short flight and sail away, at Dragonstone.  No biggie.  
    KingKobratpelzy
  • MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky
    Why not? Because she's arrogant. Lots of people have been pretty nonchalant about dragons and the undead army coming at them. Seeing is believing though. We better get her first reaction to seeing them. Should be good.
  • tpelzytpelzy Dallas
    @KingKobra I could see her not taking the dragons seriously, but she would at least mention it to Jaime. Maybe the Westerosi intel community is in the tank for Danny.
    Elisa
  • tpelzy said:

@KingKobra I could see her not taking the dragons seriously, but she would at least mention it to Jaime. Maybe the Westerosi intel community is in the tank for Danny.

I don't know about that, she's treating him pretty "nonchalant". People never mention the dragons until "that person" does. Then they are kind of put down as Dragons haven't been anrealtiy for a very long time. To everyone that hasn't seen them, they are still "fantasy". Maybe it's just me, but it fits the narrative that's been shown in the show. As viewers however we have a much broader picture of the impending forces, so I can see people getting antsy while we wait for everyone to catch up.
  • tpelzytpelzy Dallas
    edited July 2017
    KingKobra said:

tpelzy said:

I don't know about that, she's treating him pretty "nonchalant". People never mention the dragons until "that person" does. Then they are kind of put down as Dragons haven't been anrealtiy for a very long time. To everyone that hasn't seen them, they are still "fantasy". Maybe it's just me, but it fits the narrative that's been shown in the show. As viewers however we have a much broader picture of the impending forces, so I can see people getting antsy while we wait for everyone to catch up.
    I could forgive them for feeling that way about the White Walkers, but didn't the last dragon die like 100 years ago in the show/books? That's not exactly ancient history. 

Edit: According to Westeros.org the last dragon died about 150 years ago. That means there are people in this universe who are old enough to know people who saw dragons first hand, but they were probably small and weak. And let's not forget that the Dragons just destroyed the Wise Master's fleet. 
  • tpelzy said:

KingKobra said:

tpelzy said:

I could forgive them for feeling that way about the White Walkers, but didn't the last dragon die like 100 years ago in the show/books? That's not exactly ancient history. 
    So 100 years ago no one would be alive to tell the tales of seeing how monsterous they are first hand. Humans are really bad at not learning from history and I think this is just another example.
  • tpelzy said:

KingKobra said:

tpelzy said:

Edit: According to Westeros.org the last dragon died about 150 years ago. That means there are people in this universe who are old enough to know people who saw dragons first hand, but they were probably small and weak. And let's not forget that the Dragons just destroyed the Wise Master's fleet. 

they didn't destroy the fleet. they only burned 1 or 2 ships in a show of force to get the others to surrender.. Tyrion even says something to the masters about thanking them for the ships. 
    KingKobra
  • Vasilnate1Vasilnate1 Salem, MA
    there are giant dragon skulls in the basement of the Red Keep right?  So Cersei should know how big they are capable of getting.  I assume she has or will have Qyburn try to come up with a dragon solution.  But shes shes stupid and arrogant and drunk, she drinks as much as Tyrion.  she will be very worried about them next episode I imagine
  • tpelzy said:

KingKobra said:

tpelzy said:

Which Dragons though? The large ones like Dany's or the small miniature ones that were the last ones living? They said in the show that because they kept the dragons locked up towards be end, they were no bigger than household pets. It may be much longer than the 100-150 years to have someone that has seen one that can grow this large. On top of this, people have short memories once something goes extinct. Much like the White Walkers who have been active recently, the "south" pays little mind to them and treats it more like fantasy. All I'm saying that IMO it isn't far from believeable that they are currently dismissed.
    gguenot
  • Vasilnate1Vasilnate1 Salem, MA
    people know how big they can get, but maybe Cersei dosnt go downstairs ever

GredalBeetpelzyMelia004
  • Perhaps Cersei has already started to develop a plan to deal with the Dragons?  Perhaps Cersei is like the Mad King and would rather blow up King's Landing than see an "invader" take it and that's her ultimate plan?  Just throwing stuff out there because yes, news should have spread that the Dany has 3 large dragons and the history of Westeros shows that having dragons is all that it takes to conquer Westeros.  I guess we'll see what Cersei has in store for dealing with the dragons.
  • voodooratvoodoorat Atlanta
    edited July 2017
    re: dragons and dany being so close to king's landing not inducing pants-shitting fear:  who knows?  we should know by now not to ask "why" when it comes to details of why characters do things on the show.

i don't know what's going on in king's landing, i don't understand how cersei has any power base--even more important if she doesn't really have a legitimate claim:  doesn't everybody know that she murdered hundreds of people attending her trial, including the very-popular-with-the-commonfolk margaery tyrell and high sparrow, members of most if not all of the noble houses in the crownlands along with dozens (or maybe hundreds?) of innocent people when she blew up the sept and fucked up king's landing?  they mentioned it a little sort of in passing in this episode, that they have no allies and everybody on the continent is opposed to them, but i don't see how they'd have any support even in king's landing--this episode also showed that the soldiery are made up of common people, where exactly is her support supposed to be if nobles and commoners both justifiably despise her?

maybe it took dany 2 and a half years to sail the narrow sea because even if the ironborn could make a huge warship at the nice clip of one a day it'd take that long to get euron's thousand new ships...

i really hope grrm finishes the books because i want to know how this stuff happens when you pay attention to details.
  • All the ChickensAll the Chickens Birmingham, AL
    Tyrion knew about the dragons when Varys was taking him to see the dragon queen. But he didn't react to the idea of there being dragons until he saw Drogon flying above the ruins of Valyria back in season 5.

MurderbeartpelzyKingKobra
    Oh, so I suppose there are Snarks and Grumkins out there too?
    tpelzydarwinfeeshy
  • All the ChickensAll the Chickens Birmingham, AL
    edited July 2017
    Certainly most people would hear that a conqueror has landed with an army that is more than 10x's the size of the largest force you could ever dream of mustering + 3 giant dragons who could conquer the land all by themselves, they wouldn't say to themselves "hey you know that shitty House who has maybe 2 or 3,000 men and a lot of wooden ships.. yeah they will save our asses"
    Then again, most people aren't Cersei. 

**Although, I think that the writers are going to bend logic and reality a bit and reinforce her plans with some success. It would be far less suspenseful and dramatic if the realistic thing happens ---- everyone shits their pants and runs the other direction to hide when they see 100,000+ screaming warriors on horseback galloping towards them, and 3 godzilla monsters gliding around burning thousands of men in each swoop. Especially because no one is loyal to the Lannisters at this point and Dany would surely have offered to not bother anyone who bends the knee.
  • tpelzytpelzy Dallas
    @Hatorian touche lol

@all the chickens good point

It didn't ruin the episode for me or anything, but if Cersei is shocked to find out there are dragons, I'll view that as a small plot hole.
    Hatorian
  • voodoorat said:

i don't know what's going on in king's landing, i don't understand how cersei has any power base--even more important if she doesn't really have a legitimate claim:  doesn't everybody know that she murdered hundreds of people attending her trial, including the very-popular-with-the-commonfolk margaery tyrell and high sparrow, members of most if not all of the noble houses in the crownlands along with dozens (or maybe hundreds?) of innocent people when she blew up the sept and fucked up king's landing?  they mentioned it a little sort of in passing in this episode, that they have no allies and everybody on the continent is opposed to them, but i don't see how they'd have any support even in king's landing--this episode also showed that the soldiery are made up of common people, where exactly is her support supposed to be if nobles and commoners both justifiably despise her?

I think you kind of answered your own question.  Cersei is ruling by fear.  She just blew up a chunk of King's Landing and has the Zombie Mountain by her side ready to destroy anyone who comes near her.  In addition, she was Robert's wife and so while all of "Robert's" children are dead and Margaery, I'm guessing Cersei would have a claim that way.  But basically, it's fear. 
    KingKobratpelzy
  • voodoorat said:

I think you kind of answered your own question.  Cersei is ruling by fear.  She just blew up a chunk of King's Landing and has the Zombie Mountain by her side ready to destroy anyone who comes near her.  In addition, she was Robert's wife and so while all of "Robert's" children are dead and Margaery, I'm guessing Cersei would have a claim that way.  But basically, it's fear. 
    Not to mention, no one has a claim until they take the throne by force (Robert) or inherit it (Jeoffery/Tommen). The common folk will usually support whomever is in power (it can change with the wind).
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • jluzaniajluzania Denver
    edited July 2017
    Seeing is believing...

That said, hard to believe she'd have Tyrion as Hand intelligence but dismiss nearly full grown dragons.
    tpelzy
  • A question branching off of the OP's:

How many dragons live through the series? This is still GoT, right? THAT would be a shocking turn of events, to see 1-3 dragons get killed way more easily than we are expecting.
  • edited July 2017

There ist plenty of wildfire left, if Cersei claims in public that there are caches all over the city Dany can't send in her dragons since it would burn down the city. Rumors about the mad dragonqueen who likes to crucify and burn people alive just like her father might help.

It might be an interesting symmetry to the mad king situation, Jaimes reaction is going to be interesting.

She can't send in her ships either because of what happened in the battle of the blackwater. So there might be a stalemate and negotiations ahead rather than huge battles.

• I believe that Cersei sees what she wants. Subconsciously she knows she has no answer for dragons, so she chooses to concentrate on another problem.
    trippy
    Schlupp said:

There ist plenty of wildfire left, if Cersei claims in public that there are caches all over the city Dany can't send in her dragons since it would burn down the city. Rumors about the mad dragonqueen who likes to crucify and burn people alive just like her father might help.

It might be an interesting symmetry to the mad king situation, Jaimes reaction is going to be interesting.

She can't send in her ships either because of what happened in the battle of the blackwater. So there might be a stalemate and negotiations ahead rather than huge battles.

I'd be curious to know how much Wildfire actually is left. Because they gathered a lot up for The Battle of Blackwater and then had to get a lot together for the Sept-bomb. There might be some but I don't think it's all the over the city anymore.
  • tpelzytpelzy Dallas
    Schlupp said:

There is plenty of wildfire left, if Cersei claims in public that there are caches all over the city Dany can't send in her dragons since it would burn down the city. Rumors about the mad dragonqueen who likes to crucify and burn people alive just like her father might help.

I really like the idea of a propaganda against Danny, but then just sitting around negotiating sounds so boring lol.
  • Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA

I believe that Cersei sees what she wants. Subconsciously she knows she has no answer for dragons, so she chooses to concentrate on another problem.

This is always how I thought of it. She doesn't tend to see threats until they are throwing her in jail or walking her naked through the streets having food thrown on her. She thinks much more highly of herself than anyone else does and that is going to be her downfall. 
    webswinger
  • edited July 2017

Schlupp said:

I'd be curious to know how much Wildfire actually is left. Because they gathered a lot up for The Battle of Blackwater and then had to get a lot together for the Sept-bomb. There might be some but I don't think it's all the over the city anymore.

I think it doesn't really matter how little is left  as long as your enemies believe it might be there.
    Since Tyrion knows about the wildfire first hand it wouldn't take much persuasion I guess. Also I assume that Qyburn could always make more. Cersei doesn't even need to threaten her own People, just put some Caches visibly  near some Trebuchets for "protection of the City against Dothraki Hordes" and you're done.  :-)

• cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    For some reason, reading the thread title made me think of Cersei getting sarcastic scared and talking like Hanna Barbera's Snagglepuss like "Heavenzz to Megatroid! Eeee Dragonnzz! Big onez evennn!"

Yeah I'm messed up man.
    webswingertpelzy