Dan Harmon Doing a Sirens of Titan Series

It's my favorite book and it's Dan Harmon so I'm pretty sure that I'm really, really excited. I think. This could be really amazing, right?

DaveyMacElisa

Comments

• EricEric Seattle
    edited July 2017
    Wow, between this and Noah Hawley's Cat's Cradle, my headcannon "Vonnegut trilogy" is almost complete. 

Now we just need the Villigang to do a Slaughterhouse Five series. 
    TravisChinaskiDaveyMacA_Ron_HubbardElisa
  • TravisTravis CA
    edited July 2017
    Hawley is doing Cat's Cradle? I hadn't heard that. That is also really interesting news. I need to re-read that one. It's been over 20 years, but I remember really liking it a lot.
    Vasilnate1ChinaskiElisa
  • ChinaskiChinaski Santa Cruz, CA
    wow! i had no idea of either. that news made my heart dance!
    Travis
  • Very cool! I love Sirens of Titan.
    Travis
  • TravisTravis CA
    edited July 2017
    trippy said:

Travis said:

Hawley is doing Cat's Cradle? I hadn't heard that. That is also really interesting news. I need to re-read that one. It's been over 20 years, but I remember really liking it a lot.

So do you think the Baldies at baldmove are a karass or a granfaloon. 
    I guess I really do need to re-read Cat's Cradle. Give me some leeway though, I read it during the Clinton administration, in a world where Gangsta's Paradise was a "top hit" and Frasier and NYPD Blue were in their second seasons, and (for better in some respects, but certainly worse for my long term retention) I was smoking a more than fair amount of pot in those days. Ha!

Silly little related anecdote about that, I read it in English 3 in high school and not long after the reading project we did something called an I-Search paper (a spin on a research paper) and I was so taken with Cats Cradle and the style of it that I used it as the primary source for my I-Search paper my chosen topic of "What is an I-Search paper?" Luckily my teacher found this a charming approach on the assignment and not incredibly sarcastic. 
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    Slaughterhouse Five is so good.  I read it over a East to West coast flight a few years back, and couldn't get over how amazing it was.  I really need to make time for some more Vonnegut in my life.  What would you recommend for the next book I read?  Cat's Cradle or this Sirens of Titan deal?  Something else?
    DaveyMacElisa
  • TravisTravis CA
    edited July 2017
    Personally, I love Sirens of Titan and I definitely recommend it. As I said, I did read Cat's Cradle, and I remember being really taken with it, but I don't remember a ton about it. The only other one that I have read is God Bless You, Mr Rosewater which I also liked a lot, but not nearly as much as Sirens. I started Breakfast of Champions and was really enjoying it, but I sort of fell out of my reading cycle (got too wrapped up in TV) and never finished it but it was off to a really good start. I'm not a great source on Vonnegut, but I can say that Sirens is pretty amazing.

I actually picked up a copy of Slaughterhouse Five when I re-bought Sirens recently and I'm really excited to get into it. I'm glad you liked it so much. I've really got to start reading again.
    Elisa
  • Slaughterhouse Five is so good.  I read it over a East to West coast flight a few years back, and couldn't get over how amazing it was.  I really need to make time for some more Vonnegut in my life.  What would you recommend for the next book I read?  Cat's Cradle or this Sirens of Titan deal?  Something else?

I think I've re-read Cat's Cradle more times, but you really can't go wrong with either. If I recall neither are that long so wouldn't take much to ready them both in short order.
    Travis
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    MrX said:

Slaughterhouse Five is so good.  I read it over a East to West coast flight a few years back, and couldn't get over how amazing it was.  I really need to make time for some more Vonnegut in my life.  What would you recommend for the next book I read?  Cat's Cradle or this Sirens of Titan deal?  Something else?

I think I've re-read Cat's Cradle more times, but you really can't go wrong with either. If I recall neither are that long so wouldn't take much to ready them both in short order.
    That's the other thing that was a nice surprise for SH5.  Almost novella length.  
    MrX
  • EricEric Seattle

Cat's Cradle is my favorite book of all time. Sirens of Titan is also awesome (hence, the unofficial "Vonnegut Trilogy" with S5, CC, and SoT). 

Other notable mentions: Breakfast of Champions & Galapagos.
    MrXTravisElisa
  • DaveyMacDaveyMac Tokyo
    edited July 2017
    I know Douglas Adams has cited Vonnegut and Sirens in particular as influences so if you like Adams at all I'd definitely recommend Sirens. I have yet to read Cat's Cradle, but it's in my Kindle. Amazon frequently has Vonnegut sales going on so I have a ton of his books for that reason.

In fact Cat's Cradle is 1.99 in the Kindle store right now.
    Travis
  • ElisaElisa Los Angeles
    I am a big Vonnegut fan and cannot wait to see some of his books on TV, thought they are not easy to translate.

Highly recommended:  Piano Player, Mother Night, Sirens of Titans, Cat's Cradle, Slaughterhouse Five, Breakfast of Champions and Galapagos
    Travis