Dunkirk spoiler thread

Sorry if this thread already exists, I didn't see it. I really only had one problem w/ the film, and its not a plot point or casting, there is one shot from the wing of a plane in one of the dog fights, and there is either dust or water drops on the lens or sensor. I don't know why they didn't reshoot that, or use a different take, or not use it at all, because every other frame is so impeccably well done, I wonder how this got past hoyte van hoytema, Nolan, and the studio. It wouldn't have bothered me if we saw water get on the lens during the scene. But it was already there when they cut to that angle, and it makes me wonder why they didn't use a different take. I recognize this is the smallest of problems, but when I see dust on the lens, or they rack focus too quickly, it makes me remember I'm watching a film, and films like these want to put me in the war. Which it did literally everywhere else. But I digress, I've made the point like 3 times now.

Comments

• HatorianHatorian Dagobah
    well they actually had an issue with one of the IMAX cameras. Apparently the scene with the guy drowning in his plane the camera got wet and ruined but they were able to save the film from some special technique.

I think that water/dust lens was probably too small for them to spend the money to reshoot the scene. Probably not a very cheap scene to reshoot. I didn't even notice it.
  • Doctor_NickDoctor_Nick Terminus
    I saw it in Imax at the only real Imax screen in town and I found a lot of the dialogue mixed out by the other effects and hard to understand.

I also didn't realize the shell shocked soldier was the same person who left the people in water while he was in the rowboat.

Did Tom Hardy shoot down a bomber or fighter while out of fuel? WTF?  And why didn't he ditch or bail out in the British zone?

I saw it in Imax at the only real Imax screen in town and I found a lot of the dialogue mixed out by the other effects and hard to understand.

I also didn't realize the shell shocked soldier was the same person who left the people in water while he was in the rowboat.

Did Tom Hardy shoot down a bomber or fighter while out of fuel? WTF?  And why didn't he ditch or bail out in the British zone?
    Yea. I didn't really get why they did that with Cillian Murphy (shell shock guy). I Guess it was just to point out that things were happening at different times.

I also thought the same thing about tom hardy. Bit of a stretch for him to do a 180 and shoot down that Stuka and then why not do another 180 and land near the Mole.

Maybe we're going to get a sequel of Hardy in a POw camp
  • aberry89aberry89 California
    To your 1st question: Apparently, most of the soldier didn't either because I was expecting some tension from that reveal, but nothing arose. It felt real though, they were just too fucking tired at that point to hold a grudge. 

To your 2nd question: Hell yeah he did! Those guns work fine even if you're out of fuel. I have no idea if that moment is true, but if it was, that is one hell of a pilot. It's possible, as the German bomber would have no way to hear him...

To your 3rd question: He couldn't parachute out on the British side because he was too low, and obv, at that point, couldn't get to a higher altitude to bail. I am sure he would have wanted to land on the British side, but he had to keep his plane as steady as possible to make any sort of a landing. Any tricky maneuvers he just didn't have the power to pull off. 

aberry89 said:

To your 1st question: Apparently, most of the soldier didn't either because I was expecting some tension from that reveal, but nothing arose. It felt real though, they were just too fucking tired at that point to hold a grudge. 

To your 2nd question: Hell yeah he did! Those guns work fine even if you're out of fuel. I have no idea if that moment is true, but if it was, that is one hell of a pilot. It's possible, as the German bomber would have no way to hear him...

To your 3rd question: He couldn't parachute out on the British side because he was too low, and obv, at that point, couldn't get to a higher altitude to bail. I am sure he would have wanted to land on the British side, but he had to keep his plane as steady as possible to make any sort of a landing. Any tricky maneuvers he just didn't have the power to pull off. 

If you watch the scene again. Hardy is already pretty Low when he flies by the mole. He then somehow does a 180 and shoots down a Stuka which is much higher than him. I'll have to watch it again but I remember sitting in the theatre questioning that scene right away.
  • bizmarkiefaderbizmarkiefader San Francisco
    The Hardy just giving himself up thing really threw me off, couldn't he have landed in the water like his buddy? Or circle around a bunch and land closer on the beach? I'm sure there's some reasoning for it I wish they would have done a better job conveying it cause it seems like there were any number of ways to deal with that situation that are better than becoming a German POW.
  • Doctor_NickDoctor_Nick Terminus
    edited August 1
    Yeah, that was weird. It would have been better to have made him seem like he was in bad shape dynamically with the gliding at the end and had no choice, rather than blissfully gliding in (except for his stuck landing gear).

The Hardy just giving himself up thing really threw me off, couldn't he have landed in the water like his buddy? Or circle around a bunch and land closer on the beach? I'm sure there's some reasoning for it I wish they would have done a better job conveying it cause it seems like there were any number of ways to deal with that situation that are better than becoming a German POW.

• amyja89amyja89 Oxford, England
    Re the Hardy situation, it seemed to me to be just a bittersweet story telling choice to counterbalance the happiness of Harry Styles and co arriving home safely, whereas the pilot has served heroically and too arrived safely, but far FAR from home.

I was listening to David Chen on the /Filmcast really tearing in to the editing, especially the final quick shot of Fionn Whitehead's face before the credits start to roll. I thought that was brilliant. British war movies like that nearly always end on the rousing Churchill speech in a victorious fashion, but that poor guy was reading to his friend, knowing full well that they would get a couple weeks rest in England and then be shipped back out to the next battle. It was brilliantly chilling.