Keyboards

The user and all related content has been deleted.

Comments

• Vasilnate1Vasilnate1 Salem, MA
    edited July 2017
    Its all about the switches they use under the keys, and they come in 3 basic styles.  

Linear. The keystroke is consistent and smooth.
    Tactile. A bump in the middle of travel, usually around the actuation point.
    Clicky. A bump in the middle of travel accompanied by a sharp “click” sound.

some are better for games some better for typing some in the middle, but it really all preference. lots of different companys will use the same switches, so its not so much about Brand.  Cherry switches are the best, so any keyboard with Cherrys are good(50 million keystrokes per key)Find a brick and mortar store and have her try different types. Quality keyboards with good switches can be pricey, but if your a professional its no biggie.  Check out this article  http://www.pcgamer.com/best-mechanical-switches-for-gaming/ ;

ghm3
  • Mechanical keyboards are no hype, they're most definitely superior in every way but cost and physical size. There are different types of of switches though as Vasilnate1 mentions above, the name of the switches he's describing with a bit more detail:

MX Cherry red switches have a smooth consistent feel throughout the keystroke and have a light actuation. This is what I would recommend for a fast touch typist, especially one coming from crappy mushy membrane keyboards.

MX Cherry Blue switches have a very deliberate actuation during the keystroke and is accompanied by a loudish "click" with each keystroke. Think old school IBM model M keyboards here. They're beloved by some but anyone within earshot will want to murder them, especially if they're a fast typist as you mention.

MX Cherry Brown switches are a middle ground of red and blue. They have a tactile feedback during the keystroke like the blue, but not necessarily as pronounced and without the clicking. 
    Vasilnate1
  • edited July 2017
    Oh as for the brand, Das Keyboards are excellent and look professional/non-gaudy:

Looks like they only make that in brown and blue, I'd definitely get brown. 

Here's a very affordable mx red, and Corsair is a solid brand:

I can't personally vouch for that model but it has good reviews and the switch is uses (MX cherry red) is very good quality. 

Maybe consider find a model of both brown and red that looks solid, order both and return the one they least prefer?

Vasilnate1
  • bizmarkiefaderbizmarkiefader San Francisco
    I got this cause I'm an adult:

https://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Gaming-Mechanical-Keyboard-Backlit/dp/B01ER4B8C8

I made my WASD keys pink and whenever you hit any key on the board it ripples out red and green alternating lights. Nobody needs this but it makes me happy.

As others have said though you definitely want to go mechanical but other than that it's mostly preference on switch type and other features on the keyboard. Do you care about extra USB or headphone ports, volume or playback controls, or blinking lights everywhere? If this is an office environment you'll want to take noise into account too, you'll have to trust reviews for that one unless you can get hands on somewhere.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Doctor_NickDoctor_Nick Terminus
    edited July 2017
    FWIW- I have this Logitech G710+ MX Cherry Brown which I like. 
    I use the gaming keys as banks of macros for key presses for launching applications and for functions in Lightroom image editing. 
  • Ghosting is not an issue for typing, no matter how fast you type. Wireless on the other hand most definitely can be, especially if the receiver is plugged into the back of a tower and no USB extension is used, and even slightly more so if it's being used in an older corporate PC. 
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.