Comments

• Vasilnate1Vasilnate1 Salem, MA
    earmuffs?
    KingKobraHatorian
  • Maybe that's what we'll need for this season?
    Hatorian
  • whoops. wrong link. haha. updated. 
    KingKobra
  • amyja89amyja89 Oxford, England
    I'm still so bummed about season two. Everything about the trailer looked amazing and then, nope.

(Still crushin' hard on Rachel 'flawed cop' McAdams though :-P.)
    Noelgguenot
  • https://consequenceofsound.net/2017/08/season-three-of-true-detective-starring-mahershala-ali-set-for-2018-premiere/

Love Mahershala Ali, but if they're going for a relatively untapped regional setting (not LA), they should try to not get scooped by Netflix.

Note: I probably won't watch Ozarks, but will skeptically watch this.  
    Elisa
  • https://consequenceofsound.net/2017/08/season-three-of-true-detective-starring-mahershala-ali-set-for-2018-premiere/

Love Mahershala Ali, but if they're going for a relatively untapped regional setting (not LA), they should try to not get scooped by Netflix.

Note: I probably won't watch Ozarks, but will skeptically watch this.  
    Folks are skeptical of Pizzolato being the main director for the season. At least Milch is writing one episode and had input for the rest of the season (your link says directing, but the Deadline article said he just wrote: http://deadline.com/2017/08/true-detective-season-3-pickup-hbo-premise-jeremy-saulnier-nic-pizzolatto-direct-mahershala-ali-star-1202159482/).

Let's see who rounds out the cast, Ali is definitely reason to stay optimistic.

Elisa
  • ElisaElisa Los Angeles
    The upcoming season will center around "a macabre crime in the heart of the Ozarks, and a mystery that deepens over decades and plays out in three separate time periods. Ali will play the lead role of Wayne Hays, a state police detective from Northwest Arkansas."

Very interesting and adore Mahershala Ali.
  • TravisTravis CA
    edited September 2017
    I know this is so "old hat" that it was worn by Spartan soldiers, but fuck it. They still amuse me.

TRUE DETECTIVE SEASON 3:
  • http://ew.com/tv/2017/08/31/true-detective-season-3-2/

EW also confirming....well it could be good? 
    Elisa
  • Season 2 was a downswing but I came around on it a bit towards the end so I'll watch all of S3 if it comes out.
  • Yeah, I'm still all in for this series. S2 was way too ambitious in regards to the scope of its story, but it definitely had a lot of potential.

I'm optimistic about this season. I think Pizzolatto learned his lesson from S2, and he now has Milch to bounce ideas off of.

I'm so glad this series is set in the Ozarks. Southern gothic is Pizzolatto's forte, probably because he grew up in rural Louisiana.
  • Pizzolatto wanting to direct sounds about right.  Still raw that Fukunaga got so much credit for season 1.
    Dee
  • Now if S3 is worse than S2 with Pizzolatto running almost the entire thing I'll be out for any future seasons with him at the head.
  • MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky
    I was pretty excited by that trailer last night. I thought season 2 had its moments of "pretty good" so I'm ready to give this show another shot.
  • I liked the occult stuff from season 1, and I was really disappointed that season 2 didn't continue to explore that. I think I rage quit season 2 at one point, I disliked it so much. Well, Mr Robot turned things around after a bad season, so I'll give this a chance.

• Hopefully literally no one involved in season 2 is working on this. Including the creator of the show. 
  • asmallcat said:
    Hopefully literally no one involved in season 2 is working on this. Including the creator of the show. 
    Nope Pizzolatto is running the show again. And in addition to writing he's now directing some of the episodes.  :|
  • MrX said:
    asmallcat said:
    Hopefully literally no one involved in season 2 is working on this. Including the creator of the show. 
    Nope Pizzolatto is running the show again. And in addition to writing he's now directing some of the episodes.  :|
    Yup, I will assume it's garbage then unless it gets overwhelming positive reviews. 
  • MrX said:
    asmallcat said:
    He has to know the general perception out here in the viewer world - this is make or break.
  • asmallcat said:
    MrX said:
    asmallcat said:
    Yup, I will assume it's garbage then unless it gets overwhelming positive reviews. 
    Aaannnd after the season 3 trailer at the end of Sharp Objects I'm back on board to watch this. WHY AM I SUCH A SUCKER FOR THIS AESTHETIC/STORY TELLING STYLE!

Don't disappoint me again, please, True Detective. Maybe it's the inverse of the star trek movies. Only the odd numbered seasons are good.