Books Forum?

We game games/tv/movies... how about books?

What's your favorite book series? For me, R. Scott Bakker's "The Second Apocalypse" which starts with "The Darkness that Comes Before"

Comments

• FlashGordonFlashGordon Leeds, UK
    edited February 2015
    A Song of Ice and Fire, is the only book series I've ever read, also the only fantasy, but did/do enjoy the books, I inhaled the series like A.ron often suggests through audible & a kindle. 

@realityzealot I wikied that series sounds interesting I like good post apocalypse stuff, like World War Z & The Road

I've read pretty much every word both George Orwell & Christopher Hitchens have ever written though & 1984 is my favorite book, notable mentions for Hemmingway , Dostoyevsky,  Melville and Roald Dahl.

• JeramiahJeramiah Richmond Indiana
    I love reading, I just find that I never have time to do it with my other interests (TV, movies, Videogames, Podcasts). I did recently re-sign up for Audible hoping to catch up on some reading/listening when I run out of podcasts to listen to. The books I have right now that I am trying to make time to read include:

American Sniper (loved the movie, want to read more about what really happened according to Kyle)
    The Leftovers (not expecting much from this book, but I absolutely loved the first season of the series, so want to give it a shot)
    Post Mortem (I believe this was Patricia Cormwells first book, and my mom recommended her to me, lol)

• A books forum is a great idea!

I'm not too into series, but some of my favorites are as follows:

A Song of Ice and Fire
    Arthur C. Clarke's 2001 series
    William S. Burroughs' The Nova Trilogy
    Paul McAuley's The Quite War series

@Jeramiah I agree. It's been difficult to consistently read with all these TV shows and podcasts we've been devouring.
  • TravisTravis CA
    edited February 2015

I enjoy reading a lot. I don't do nearly enough of it. Mostly I just read slowly and it gets frustrating.

@Jeramiah, I enjoyed The Leftovers. Thought was a really good read. That said, I wanted to finish the book before finishing the series (I started reading it about 5 episodes in) and I just never started watching again (have to do that) so I'm not sure how different the show and the book are. At any rate, I liked the book.

I like Chuck Klosterman's stuff (both his pop culture essay stuff and his novels). The Visible Man was a very cool book. I also like Steve Martin's novels a lot. The Pleasure of My Company was my favorite of his that I have read. Pure Drivel is a bunch of short pieces and it's hilarious as well. I really need to read more Vonnegut. the Sirens of Titan is probably my overall favorite book, but I've only read two others. I've only read the first three Ice and Fire books and I liked them a lot. Need to get back into those. I guess I mostly read quirky crime novels (Carl Hiaasen type stuff).

Oh, and on A.Ron's suggestion from one of the Watching Dead casts I read Dust (the one told from the zombie's perspective) and I enjoyed that a lot.

A_Ron_Hubbard
  • I'm considering reading Margaret Atwood's dystopian trilogy, MaddAddam. I love the genre and I hear HBO is adapting it as an original series. Anyone here read it?
    Frakkin Thypergenesb
  • A Song of Ice and Fire, is the only book series I've ever read, also the only fantasy, but did/do enjoy the books, I inhaled the series like A.ron often suggests through audible & a kindle. 

@realityzealot I wikied that series sounds interesting I like good post apocalypse stuff, like World War Z & The Road

I've read pretty much every word both George Orwell & Christopher Hitchens have ever written though & 1984 is my favorite book, notable mentions for Hemmingway , Dostoyevsky,  Melville and Roald Dahl.

Hah, well take up Aaron's suggestion and sign up for their Audible promo. The first book is "The Darkness That Comes Before." http://www.audible.com/pd/Sci-Fi-Fantasy/The-Darkness-That-Comes-Before-Audiobook/B008CQW11A/ref=a_search_c4_1_1_srTtl?qid=1425517819&sr=1-1

This isn't a series that takes place in our world. It is a High Fantasy series like "The Lord of The Rings" except much much much more "darker/adult" in tone. I love it.
    steph_bFlashGordon
  • WarpFoxWarpFox Nashville, TN
    This month's Loot Crate had a copy of "Ready Player One" and while I don't receive Loot Crate, many of my friends do. I do however work at a book store so I picked up a copy yesterday and I'm anxious to start reading so I can chat about it with my buddies. Anyone here read it yet?
    hitmy
  • If anyone likes sci-fi I'd highly encourage you to check out the Honor Harrington series. It's basically Horatio Hornblower in space, and works tremendously well.

I used to read so much more than I do now. Today's gargantuan amount of content from every medium has made my reading consumption suffer a great deal. I'm capable of reading pretty fast but if it's for pleasure I read very slowly methodically, very often re-reading sentences and paragraphs to let it soak in/consider what it may affect/etc.

I play video games the same way, methodically clearing rooms/etc. searching for anything and everything, so it takes me like 2.5x longer to finish a game than it does for most people, but it's the only way I really enjoy it because I feel like I thoroughly absorbed all it offered instead of just going through the paces to get to the end.

Anyway, it similarly takes me a good while to get through a book, so my consumption of them has dwindled in the world of 500mbps FIOS and so many streams of top-notch TV, movies, etc. that can all be consumed in highly convenient nuggets.
  • TaraC73TaraC73 Manchester NH
    I haven't read a book in years. I used to read on my commute to work but since I've bexome a stay at home mom eight years ago I have literally read like two books. My favorite author is Stephen king. But my favorite series of books is the left behind series. I picked up the first book at Walgreens one night to read at the laundromat thinking it was an end of the World Series... Didn't realize it was about the rapture and all the shit that goes along with it. I LOVED every single book. It's a religion based story, but not preachy or religious at all (if that makes sense. I'm NOT a religious person at all) I'd recommend it to anyone who is looking for a relatively easy but enthrallinh read :)
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    Dresden Files is my current favorite. The first 2 are kind of shaky, but it gets unbelievably good in a pulpy fantasy way. The pitch is a honest to God wizard practicing as a PI in modern day Chicago.

As I mentioned in a recent audible pitch, I'm working my way though the Mistborn Trilogy,... I'm about half way through the first one and after I got over all the "wheelbarrow" names it has been fantastic. The magic system was as advertised.

Speaking of non preachy religious oriented books, I read Sparrow last year, and it was excellent. The premise is first contact with an alien species by a team led by among other things a Jesuit priest. It's got some difficult, harrowing material in there, and I really identified with the characters struggle with faith in an age of impiracisim. Also, the depiction of first contact with a truly alien culture was pretty great hard Sci fi.
    hitmy
    I really need to look into audible. I simply cannot read. I try and my eyes get heavy after a few pages. Having someone read to me sounds like the way to go!
  • Yeah, audible is a great way to get in books without spending time staring at books.

I have a feeling I will be reading the Mistborn books eventually. Sanderson did a great job finishing up The Wheel of Time, and the magic system seems intriguing, in a "Magic as Engineering" kind of way.
    TaraC73
  • I highly recommend Audible even though I am taking a break from my membership at the moment, I just have too many audio books to get through. When I first signed up I got a free Kindle touch they had a promo for a $100 credit towards any device that played their audio files if you had a membership for a year. In that first year they also offered up something like 10-15 free classic audio books like Alice in Wonderland, Dorian Gray and a long list of others. For me the real selling point was Stephen Kings The Stand (uncut version) when I was in my 20's I read it every summer (I've read it at least 10 times) but now edging close to 50 and having fibro there is no way in hell I could hold that huge book and read it. Now that I have it in audiobook I have listened to it twice again. I also have picked up Dr Sleep which is good and Gone Girl which was great because they had a female read the wife's part and a male read the husband's part. The Princes of Thieves was another good one (movie version was The Town) when I get caught up this summer I will restart my membership using the Bald Move link for sure :)
    TaraC73
    @SheIsGeeky!!!!! I LOVE the stand, it's my all time favorite book! I've probably read it 50 times as well. That's one of the handful of books I've read in the last 8 years LOL.
  • @TaraC73 I will never get tired of reading or now listening to it :) such a classic good vs evil story. I was not thrilled with the tv version of it but I have seen it a few times. I am a BIG Stephen King fan, The Talisman is another of my favorites and a bunch of his short stories. I know A.Ron mentioned The Long Walk in one of the recant Lunch cast that one is really good. He had some misses for me though I did not like It, Insomnia and a few others but that okay to each his own. I would love to find a decent book club I keep looking but my taste run different then others I guess.

Insomnia is my third favorite SK book... The Dark Tower I is my second favorite :)

He definitely has a few misses. It, while a great story, I can't read it ever again... I have extreme coulrophobia and after seeing Penneywise in the movie I can't gloss over him in the book. The Long Walk is an awesome story. eyes of the dragon is another great one!

I agree about the stand. I've seen the show maybe a dozen times, it's almost cheesey and definitely dated. Even when it was first run it wasn't great... I can't wait for the remake that's supposedly in the works :)
  • @TaraC73 The Dark Tower series is so good I think I got through to the 4th book need to find the rest. I might have to give Insomnia a second chance I think I only got thru 3 chapters before I quit it. Ahhhhh yes Eyes of the Dragon, I so wanted to get a tattoo of one of the drawings in the book :) I know I am holding out hope the remake will be better.

TaraC73
    Insomnia is so, so good. Definitely give it another chance.
  • WarpFoxWarpFox Nashville, TN
    Update: I just finished Ready Player One by Ernest Cline. I highly recommend it to any of you who were children/teens of the '80s, as it's a blitzkreig of a nostalgia-fest. Even though I mostly grew up in the '90s, I still played and appreciated the older games and watched some of the TV shows and movies from the '80s. If you're a gamer, or a fan of '80s pop culture, this book is for you.
    TaraC73