Your Favourite "Rotten" Movies

HatorianHatorian Dagobah
edited July 29 in Movies
what are you're Favourite movies that have been certified rotten? Just in case people don't know what Rotten is. It means a score of Less than 60% on Rotten Tomatoes. My Top 3 below.

1. Boondocks Saints
2. Die Hard with a Vengence
3. Cable Guy

Travis

Comments

• DeeDee Adelaide
    The Cable Guy? Who doesn't like The Cable Guy? It's awesome!
    HatorianTravis
  • HatorianHatorian Dagobah
    Dee said:

The Cable Guy? Who doesn't like The Cable Guy? It's awesome!

Apparently the critics
    nstinson
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    @Hatorian Critics. Pfft.
    Hatorian
  • amyja89amyja89 Oxford, England
    edited July 29
    The fact that Hocus Pocus has a 30% rating is an absolute crime.
    HatorianAlkaid13Travisnstinson
    amyja89 said:

The fact that Hocus Pocus has a 30% rating is an absolute crime.

Really? I have to replace Die Hard with Hocus Pocus then. That's my annual Halloween movie. Love it
    amyja89Travis
  • The Weather Man
  • Waterworld
  • Vasilnate1Vasilnate1 Salem, MA
    Um... Spaceballs is technically rotten, according to the critics...turds
    HatorianCretanBullvoodooratDoctor_NickAlkaid13Travisnstinson
  • Blackhat 34%
    Miami Vice 47%

No Michael Mann film should ever be certified Rotten. One of the greatest of all time.
  • ChinaskiChinaski Santa Cruz, CA
    home alone 56% wtf?!
    Hatorian
  • voodooratvoodoorat Atlanta
    wet hot american summer is 32% fresh.  yeah, it's mind-numbingly dumb but paul rudd is worth 33% by himself!
    Deeken haleVasilnate1Travis
  • It's so funny you posed this question. I just finished reading a hilarious article in favor of officially making 'I Know Who Killed Me' a cult classic. 

I hate this movie (7% RT!), but after reading the article a part of me wants to watch it again. 

• FreddyFreddy Denton, Texas
    edited July 29
    "Belly", without a doubt. Love that movie and watch it at least once a year. Doesn't get nearly the credit it deserves. The whole thing is basically one long gangster rap/r&b music video. Makes sense considering it's directed by Hype Williams (directed about 200 music videos). But alas, it sits at a whopping 13% on RT. I think Hype Williams could have been a great movie director had Belly went over a little better with the masses. There's still hope though; he's the type of director that I could see HBO developing a great series with.

HatorianKingKobra

• The fact that The Money Pit is at 47% makes me distrust that website now.
    HatorianKingKobraVasilnate1Travis
  • FreddyFreddy Denton, Texas
    edited July 29
    sean.ray said:

Blackhat 34%
    Miami Vice 47%

No Michael Mann film should ever be certified Rotten. One of the greatest of all time.

Speaking as a die hard Heat fan, Mann has made some solid hot garbage. Even some of his movies I like, I wouldn't really consider good. I'm looking at you, Ali. Or as like to call it: "The movie where Will Smith does an impression of Jimmy Kimmel's impression of Karl Malone for 157 minutes, and the legacy of Malcom X is thoroughly insulted by Mario Van Peebles' inability to show even an ounce of believability". A little long winded, but you get the point. Jon Voight should have won an Oscar that year for his potrayal of Howard Cosell.
    Chinaski
  • edited July 29

Is there a movie at 1 or 0%? 

EDIT: Apparently there's quite a few. 0% RT movies list: 

Some have the most interesting titles: 

Sex Lives of the Potato Men
    Orgy of the Dead
    The Toolbox Murders
    Solarbabies
    The Calcium Kid

If anyone has seen any of these films please, Dear God, give us a synopsis. 

Max Steel is the most recent one I've heard of. 
    Suza271 said:

i know of this one https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/ballistic_ecks_vs_sever/
  • edited July 29
    Not "favorites" just some movies I like that are rotten, and some that are bad and may deserve to be rotten, but I enjoy anyway for whatever reason:

1941 @ 33%
    The Book of Eli @ 47%
    Wet Hot American Summer @ 32%
    Heavyweights @ 29%
    Blade @ 54%
    Eurotrip @ 46%
    Not Another Teen Movie @ 29%
    Fast & Furious @ 29% (I mean come on, "more than you can afford pal, FERRARI" and many other gold nuggets. Robbed at the Oscars for sure)
    Universal Soldier @ 19%
    Rocky IV @ 39%

bizmarkiefaderDoctor_NickHatorianTravis
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    voodoorat said:

wet hot american summer is 32% fresh.  yeah, it's mind-numbingly dumb but paul rudd is worth 33% by himself!

OH NO THEY DIDN'T
    Travis
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    Suza271 said:

EDIT: Apparently there's quite a few. 0% RT movies list: 

Some have the most interesting titles: 

Sex Lives of the Potato Men
    Orgy of the Dead
    The Toolbox Murders
    Solarbabies
    The Calcium Kid

If anyone has seen any of these films please, Dear God, give us a synopsis. 

Max Steel is the most recent one I've heard of. 
    Not gonna lie, I kind of want to see Sex Lives Of The Potato Men.

• Alkaid13Alkaid13 Georgia
    @Suza271
    How Did This Get Made did an episode on Solarbabies. Just listening to that episode gave me the opinion that it's fucking nuts.

Synopsis:
    In a sun-scorched post-apocalyptic world largely bereft of water, a group of youthful orphans, including Jason (Jason Patric) and Terra (Jami Gertz), spend their time playing a hard-hitting hockey-like game and defying an authority known as "the Protectorate." When Daniel (Lukas Haas), one of the younger orphans, discovers a strange sphere, it leads to a struggle between good and evil after the scheming Darstar (Adrian Pasdar) swipes the powerful orb.
    i have a soft spot in my heart for Saving Silverman so it doesn't deserve 18% :(
    Dummy
  • Doctor_NickDoctor_Nick Terminus
    edited July 30
    A Night at the Roxbury - 11%

Tommy Boy -44%

Guess I love me some bad my generation SNL movies....

ghm3ChinaskiHatorianDaveyMac
    edited July 30

A Night at the Roxbury - 11%

Tommy Boy -44%

Guess I love me some bad my generation SNL movies....

ANATR should easily get 11% for the mightyt duck himself... EMILIO!!
    Travis
    edited July 30
    at least Black Sheep is 'fresh' at 70%

EDIT: haha wrong black sheep! the good one got 28%. fuck you Rotten Tomatoes!
    Doctor_NickHatorian
    Chinaski said:

at least Black Sheep is 'fresh' at 70%

EDIT: haha wrong black sheep! the good one got 28%. fuck you Rotten Tomatoes!

Haha I accidentally download the fresh one. Started watching it and it was literally about sheep.
    Doctor_Nickvoodoorat
  • pavlovsbellpavlovsbell Brooklyn, NY
    Just Friends (terrible movie but I love Anna Faris in it) -- 42%

Mr. and Mrs. Smith -- 59%

I looked up Face/Off and shocked to find it has a 92% rating. What? I enjoyed it for Cage and Travolta playing each other playing themselves (Wait, did I get that right? It's confusing.), but it's a ridiculous movie. 92%!
    HatorianDaveyMac
  • aberry89aberry89 California
    The 1999 Mummy Movie is 58%. I watched that movie a lot growing up, and I think it's a tighly written adventure movie with a lot of heart and great characters. I revisited it instead of watching that trash one in theaters right now, and it holds up amazingly well. Deserves better!
    Hatorianweeniegirl
  • Doctor_NickDoctor_Nick Terminus
    Face/Off was one of the biggest mysteries of the 1990s to me.  I was firmly in that film's demographic wheelhouse (I even had watched and loved John Woo's A Better Tomorrow and Hard Boiled at that point) and I just hated it and everyone else thought it was an amazing critically acclaimed actioner.  

Just Friends (terrible movie but I love Anna Faris in it) -- 42%

Mr. and Mrs. Smith -- 59%

I looked up Face/Off and shocked to find it has a 92% rating. What? I enjoyed it for Cage and Travolta playing each other playing themselves (Wait, did I get that right? It's confusing.), but it's a ridiculous movie. 92%!

• I'm totally baffed by some of the ones mentioned here: Heavyweights, Wet Hot American Summer, Tommy Boy and Black Sheep?  Do critics just more regularly come down negatively on "broad" comedies in an attempt to come across as sophisticated?

Also, Face/Off is one of those movies that irks me to hear people even praise faintly, so 92% is like some kind of sick joke.  I guess this is why I've never paid much attention to Rotten Tomatoes.
    Doctor_Nick