HBO Hacked, Even More Spoilers Coming

http://gizmodo.com/someone-hacked-into-hbo-and-is-now-releasing-game-of-th-1797397619#_ga=2.15638902.1164236673.1501516442-1946772122.1418246054

This sucks. After waiting this long I hope big moments aren't spoiled from clicking on the wrong article or someone slipping in a podcast or some shit.
Brawn

Comments

• All the ChickensAll the Chickens Birmingham, AL
    edited July 2017
    There was already a detailed synopsis of everything that happened in each episode that has come out in recent weeks, and the people who have read them confirmed that they are accurate. And those are different than the general production and script spoilers for the season that came out months ago.

I'm guessing the only difference is now that EW and the mainstream sites are reporting this hack, many more people are now going to be aware of the episode-by-episode spoilers.

SomeBiscuit
  • Eh, the production leaks have already been out for months, people already know the plot of the entire season, I doubt the risk of spoilers will really increase in a noticeable way.

What really amuses me about these things though is the smug sense of self-importance the hackers always seem to have in their messages. Same with the Orange Is the New Black hack a couple months back. They word it like they're changing the world by doing this, and that releasing a few episodes of TV earlier than they were going to air is going to start some sort of revolution, or even have any noticeable effect on HBO or Netflix's income.

Besides, it seems like they don't have much - a script of next weeks GoT, and a handful of episodes of Ballers? Step it up, hackers, you can do better than that.
    Suza271BrawnA_Ron_HubbardMichelle
  • edited July 2017
    You just beat me to posting this info.

@Allthechickens:

While this may not affect GoT (although the hackers have released a full script), I've already seen Ballers and Room 104 episodes leaked. Certainly not the most high profile shows but still...

You never know.... this may very well be similar to the OITNB debacle. Where the hackers released 2 and when Netflix didn't pay up the other 8 episodes showed up.

I have mixed feelings about these type of hacks. If episodes were just leaked without the "ransom" and employee personnel files I might not care as much. But, it's fucking lame they took the HR info.

I'm guessing they got ahold of a high level employee's credentials via malware of some sort and got into a server(s)
  • edited July 2017

What really amuses me about these things though is the smug sense of self-importance the hackers always seem to have in their messages. Same with the Orange Is the New Black hack a couple months back. They word it like they're changing the world by doing this, and that releasing a few episodes of TV earlier than they were going to air is going to start some so.
    Right. I mean the Sony hackers released 5 films no one wanted to watch and The Interview which turned out to be a piece of crap.

It's hilarious the OITNB hackers acted like they pulled off the biggest entertainment leak of all time​. But, they only exposed themselves as douchebags who failed to get a dime from either company.
    SomeBiscuitBrawn
  • I would love it if anyone who intentionally read the leaks could compose a list of sources, sites, etc, to avoid. Like, obviously, I'm not going to try and click on links that say, Read these Leaks, but concerned about accidentally coming across something that's purposefully based on it, but not explicitly noted as based-on-the-leaks. Hate this so much.
  • The internet is dark and full of spoilers. Stay away from sites that you don't know the history of. BM tends to be OK, but now and again we have folks post them (sometimes as "speculation".
  • bizmarkiefaderbizmarkiefader San Francisco
    @KingKobra Exactly though, you only have to see it once to have it ruined and even on sites that are going out of their way to try and prevent it there are still going to be cracks. It really sucks, GoT just isn't the same without the community aspect. I read the books but I still learn a ton of things that I missed or connections I'd never made before by scouring what everyone is talking about the day after the episode. This season it's basically just whatever comes through the BM podcast is all that's safe.
    KingKobraCarrieShevs
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    KingKobra said:

The internet is dark and full of spoilers. Stay away from sites that you don't know the history of. BM tends to be OK, but now and again we have folks post them (sometimes as "speculation".

That's my concern - I've read a few "theories" here lately that have made me wonder if they're genuine or just someone presenting as such when they know the leaks. But I don't know the leaks so I can't tell for sure. :-/
    KingKobra
  • Well, my friend decided to tell me his theory on whats going to happen and then told me they were the production leak spoilers.  Literally happened like 5 minutes ago.  So ya.  This sucks.  troubling part is... I've seen these spoilers around facebook disguised as "theories" as well.  My suggestion is don't read anything because they are everywhere.  I don't get how people get off ruining people's enjoyment by doing that.  Same crap happened with the Force Awakens when everyone kept leaking a certain characters fate
    mostlywright
  • I have read all the spoilers. They are everywhere, if you want to avoid them, stick to sites you know. I have to say, the spoilers have been really spot on, but even so, they don't include everything. For me the show is much more enjoyable for me to watch because I can concentrate on the storytelling, the visuals, the characters and even then I miss stuff. I still learn so much when I read the got forums. No matter if you read all the books, know the incredibly complex web of characters and plots, interpretation is never complete, there are always perspectives you miss, and Baldmove has a lot of insightful people whose perspectives always add layers of understanding.

My point is, for me it's like being a person who read all the books, watching HBO GOT, you know the storyline but not how it will unfold via HBO. No one ever knows everything so don't if you come upon a leak by mistake, it will suck, but there are still surprises in store and plenty of unanswered questions.

• Dee said:

KingKobra said:

The internet is dark and full of spoilers. Stay away from sites that you don't know the history of. BM tends to be OK, but now and again we have folks post them (sometimes as "speculation".

That's my concern - I've read a few "theories" here lately that have made me wonder if they're genuine or just someone presenting as such when they know the leaks. But I don't know the leaks so I can't tell for sure. :-/
    I know ARon mentioned Cecily is keeping up on them (so they don't unknowingly make it to the cast), it may be time to enlist some extra help. I'm sure with the uptick of popularity, there will be many new one post users posting "theories". I think the best thing is that if those that have seen them and see someone posting "theories" that are based on them to hit the "report" button (if there is one, I don't see one on mobile). It's going to be really tricky for the next few weeks, we can only hope for the best.
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    @KingKobra There isn't a report button, but I'm happy for people to PM me if there's something that's clearly a leak. I can delete it.
    KingKobraZombieluva
  • There is a flag option on the top right corner of every post. That might work. Also you might want to email Baldmove about it. I think they could figure something out.
  • Btw, I do make comments on the non spoilore GOT forum. But I don't comment when people predict things, I know the plot, but non of the actual scenes, nor how to interpret the interactions between characters on the show, i.e. Bran's behavior when reunited with Sansa. But to be safe just skip my comments and if I comment on yours, it's a reaction to your comment, about something I don't know from the leaks. If someone makes a comment on a prediction I don't respond. Everything I have commented on is on intentions of characters, how they are presented in scenes. For example, it bothers me that all the main women characters who have any power, never are considered smart, with good intentions or trustworthy, or brave and those that are, I.e. Breanne and Ayra exhibit male characteristics, Both being skilled in combat. That bothers me to no end. That said, before I respond to a comment I'll check back here to see the names of people in this forum and not comment on your comments. And nothing in my comments so far has any leaks.
  • First Putin steals the election, and now this. He's probably just mad that they killed off his boy Roose.
    MichaelGHatorianmostlywright
  • CCCP
  • It looks like episode 4 has leaked, be careful where you tread even more so now. It wouldn't surprise me if some outlets try to jump the gun and get reviews out early.
    edited August 2017
    I've already been spoiled on key, uh development, by some asshole just talking about it like it's Monday morning. Gods people, not everyone wants to watch some shitty leaked video on their computer by themselves, or hear about your experience doing so.

I consume GoT as "Event Television" with the rest of the world + my wife in our living room on an actual TV. I'm not as spoiler adverse as others are, and I may have some vague ideas on general plot spoilers that are more difficult to avoid, but I have no desire to hear specifics on any tragedy that befalls a favorite character in an upcoming episode.

Sorry for the rant.
    iMatty94
    Also, this strangely isn't part of the hack that was being reported on this week. Separate hack of Star India, one of HBO’s international network partners.

KingKobra
  • Yep. It's already on the Bay.
  • Be careful though. HBO has been sending letters
  • Yup, watching episode 4 now. It has a watermark and has a timer running in the bottom center.

Other than that it's legit.
  • I'm hearing that ep 4 is in the top 3 best episodes in GoT history
  • Episodes 4 and 5 have been leaked. Damn
  • gguenot said:

I'm hearing that ep 4 is in the top 3 best episodes in GoT history

Can't wait :) I mean I can though
    budesigns
  • KingKobra said:

It looks like episode 4 has leaked, be careful where you tread even more so now. It wouldn't surprise me if some outlets try to jump the gun and get reviews out early.

Episode 5 now as well
    edited August 2017
    gguenot said:

I'm hearing that ep 4 is in the top 3 best episodes in GoT history

Yeah that's what I'm seeing floated around today too. And I heard the same weeks ago when the episode spoilers had come out from frikidoctor. The people who read those spoilers breaking down everything that happens in each episode said that E4 is LIT. Seems that said LIT-ness is confirmed.

Pretty crazy that it's the shortest episode though. Seems like based on the "Next Week on" previews have show that we're touching on most of the locations and main characters.
  • Hell yea
  • TravisTravis CA
    edited August 2017
    the leaks are weird, man, but I actually like where they're going. The fate of Westeros coming down to a skateboard race between The Night's King and John Snow was quite riveting. I also really liked how they worked in that Air Bud crossover. Very nimble storytelling.
    kingbee67All the ChickensbizmarkiefaderSomeBiscuit
This discussion has been closed.