What are points and badges mentioned on account profile?

I didn't even know I had a profile, which lists how many visits you made, when you joined, how many times you liked, a persons comment, or thought the comment they made was funny, or insightful. That is pretty straight forward, but the points and badges, I have no clue.

Anyone with any idea please let me know.

Many Thanks!!

Comments

• MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky
    I've wondered this too!
  • I've wondered this too!

Thank you Murderbear, glad to know I'm not the only one :)
    Murderbear
  • TravisTravis CA
    edited August 2
    I think this was a thing further back in the Forums history. Kind of a remnant from an earlier version or concept. It seems like they were trying to do something with them at one point in time (a couple of years ago, give or take), but it seems to have been kind of dropped somewhere along the road.
    darwinfeeshy

I really want a Grizzly Bear sidekick, but Daniel Rossen won't return my phone calls.

• akritenbrinkakritenbrink Lynnwood, WA (Seattle area)
    It's a secret society that only the cool kids know about. I'm winning.
    treerocksTravis
    Be a human, not a machine.

Angie Kritenbrink
    akritenbrink on most social media

• TravisTravis CA
    edited August 2
    @akritenbrink Whatevs, man. I bet you don't even know the 12 step, secret handshake. (spoiler alert, it starts with a "Top Gun high to behind the back low five combo.")

I really want a Grizzly Bear sidekick, but Daniel Rossen won't return my phone calls.

Travis said:

@akritenbrink Whatevs, man. I bet you don't even know the 12 step, secret handshake. (spoiler alert, it starts with a "Top Gun high to behind the back low five combo.")

Now that you have revealed there are 12 steps I am getting closer.... I had figured out nine of them...
    Travis

Angie Kritenbrink

• the only way you can get the badges now is to kill somebody who has them.

there can be only one.
    treerocksTravisakritenbrinkdarwinfeeshy
  • Wait, I might have figured it out, when I fist noticed this morning, I had 80 now I have 90. I have been liking, putting smiley faces a lot today, maybe the points are what you give other people, every time you like, smiley face, insightful someone's comments, your points rise. Yes? No?
    Travis
  • edited August 2
    Wait, I might have figured it out, when I fist noticed this morning, I had 80 now I have 90. I have been liking, putting smiley faces a lot today, maybe the points are what you give other people, every time you like, smiley face, insightful someone's comments, your points rise. Yes? No?
    [Deleted] Nevermind, wrong thing

• treerocks said:

Wait, I might have figured it out, when I fist noticed this morning, I had 80 now I have 90. I have been liking, putting smiley faces a lot today, maybe the points are what you give other people, every time you like, smiley face, insightful someone's comments, your points rise. Yes? No?

I'm not sure. I just tested it by "liking" something and checking back and my points didn't change. I'm honestly not sure how the points work.

• TravisTravis CA
    edited August 2

Travis said:

Now that you have revealed there are 12 steps I am getting closer.... I had figured out nine of them...
    You'll never get the last three. NEVER!!!! Bald Move Forum Society is dead, it never was. Look, a pterodactyl!
    akritenbrink

voodoorat said:

the only way you can get the badges now is to kill somebody who has them.

there can be only one.
    We also jail those who reveal our secrets and auction their badges to the highest bidder. @voodoorat badges will be on the block later today.
    Travis

Angie Kritenbrink

• A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    Back in the day Jim was big on gamification of stuff.  Back when we were doing the software as a service version, Vanilla BBS offered these ways to get achievements and badges and all kinds of shit.  When we started doing the club, there was no way to integrate the SaaS version into our club software to manage VIP access and stuff.  So, we were forced to use the self hosted version of Vanilla BBS to do the integrations ourself.  The gamification plug in is only offered through their SaaS version.  We'd happily pay for it and a bunch of other plug ins, but they don't allow it.

It's super dumb.  I don't understand Vanilla or their business practices.  It's been a while since I talked with them, but they were kind of unhelpful and dickish about a lot of stuff.  Quality forum software, though.  Only issue I have with it is their search is broken.  
    TravistreerocksKingKobraMurderbear
  • They probably view the customer-hosted version as a legacy product they want to get rid of entirely, everyone seems to be trying to switch customers to the SaaS and IaaS model since it's so much more profitable. 
    akritenbrink

• treerocks said:

Points are based on the likes/funny/insightful people so on posts you make I believe (not what you give other people).
  • points are awarded by a long-dead judge inhabiting an ai when they feel like you've made a valid point in a post.
    TravisA_Ron_Hubbard
  • voodoorat said:

points are awarded by a long-dead judge inhabiting an ai when they feel like you've made a valid point in a post.

akritenbrinkvoodoorat

• Vasilnate1Vasilnate1 Salem, MA
    TravisDoctor_Nickakritenbrinkvoodooratcdrive
    "because everything would be what it isn't"
  • Vasilnate1Vasilnate1 Salem, MA
    TravisDoctor_NickakritenbrinkvoodooratGarageMovieGuy
    "because everything would be what it isn't"
    voodoorat said:

points are awarded by a long-dead judge inhabiting an ai when they feel like you've made a valid point in a post.

It doesn't look like anything to me.

Angie Kritenbrink