Coffee vs Tea

The war continues.
Travisphoenyx1023TaraC73

Comments

• Vocal fry is the low, vibratory sound that comes in some people's speech, particularly at the end of sentences. Zooey Deschanel is often used as an example of a women who dips into fry regularly.
  • Alkaid13Alkaid13 Georgia
    @bsx4312
    No one cares. If I wanted to learn what vocal fry was I'd look it up. If you don't like Kim Renfro then don't listen.
    phoenyx1023akritenbrink
    I'm curious about the relative strengths of coffee blends by region, it seems to me European coffee is stronger than American, how does Australian coffee compare?
  • Vocal fry is produced through a loose glottal closure which will permit air to bubble through slowly with a popping or rattling sound of a very low frequency
  • I was brought up on Tea, but drink both now. I can drink Chai regularly, but tea is usually reserved for when I'm sick (tea and honey). Coffee is an everyday thing for me.
    I drink tea but I actually don't use it to wake up, I don't really drink anything to drink up after I did a hard quit on soft drinks back in high school. I just drink tea with occasionally meals now. Unlike everyone else in my state I dislike Sweet Tea with a passion though.
  • Vocal fry is used by men less commonly than by women. When asked to read a passage, female speakers used vocal fry at a rate four times higher than male speakers. Vocal fry is generally seen as a negative characteristic in the workplace...
  • Alkaid13 said:

I drink tea but I actually don't use it to wake up, I don't really drink anything to drink up after I did a hard quit on soft drinks back in high school. I just drink tea with occasionally meals now. Unlike everyone else in my state I dislike Sweet Tea with a passion though.

I like sweet tea, but usually when I drink it, it's mixed with alcohol (I have a sweet tea/peach vodka mix I make).
    I just find sweet tea to be too sweet, which is odd considering I drink bubble teas which are essentially tea smoothies.
    KingKobra
  • Some researchers have argued that vocal fry is a register in American English used by females to give their voice more credibility. Others argue that the result is that they sound less confident, undermining the effectiveness of their communication.
  • Alkaid13 said:

I just find sweet tea to be too sweet, which is odd considering I drink bubble teas which are essentially tea smoothies.

Mix with alcohol, it cuts some of the sweetness, which masks most of the alcohol taste. :p
    That would probably be useful if I wasn't a teetotaler. Never really grew accustomed to the taste of alcohol, though I don't disparage others who drink.
  • kingbee67kingbee67 Los Angeles Ca.
    edited August 3
    I found that dark coffee causes heartburn. I had to go to a lighter roast. I was Starbucks's French roast now breakfast blend. But I drink a half pot a day.
    Also I drank it black but once you use cream it is hard to go back. I alternate between half and half and one random sweetened brand.
  • A 2014 national study of American adults found that speech with vocal fry was perceived more negatively than a voice without vocal fry, particularly in a labor market context. In young adult women, it was perceived as sounding less trustworthy, less competent, less attractive, and less hirable. The negative evaluation was stronger when the evaluator was also a woman.
    Never heard of vocal fry. Why would some one use it? Is it for effect or a tick?
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    ^ it's a speech peccadillo, and home dude apparently hates it.

I like unsweetened iced tea with a wedge of lemon.  
  • My wife drinks tea and coffee, I've started drinking coffee recently, but not at home or to wake up. A friend of mine introduced me to Vietnamese coffee shops in OC California. So now I drink Suda, ice coffee with condensed milk, but only at these shops. I believe there are similar coffee shops in NoCal and Washington.
    edited August 3
    I used to make cafe su da but I'm to impatient to wait. I do get it at the pho place.
  • @kingbee67 Ive never had it from anyplace besides a coffee shop. If you ever make it to the OC and vist one I think u'll understand.
    An image search of cafe 168 or GZ cafe should clear it up lol
  • Fun fact: in Finland, people consume more coffee (per person) than anywhere else in the world.

The average Finn drinks three times more coffee than the average American.

https://www.caffeineinformer.com/caffeine-what-the-world-drinks
    akritenbrink
    Ive always liked Finns. Elianora makes mods for the game I play who lives there and she always goes on about her coffee. Also I like Nightwish.
    Opinions on fruit teas?
    edited August 3
    I don't know what they do to get the passion fruit tea to have the flavor but no sweetener. But I love that as ice tea.
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    Alkaid13 said:

Opinions on fruit teas?

I've tried a few but most of them have sweeteners and I don't like sugar added to drinks. I drink herbal tea sometimes because they're supposedly good for you - mostly hibiscus or chamomile. I have to kind of make myself do it, though.

• akritenbrinkakritenbrink Lynnwood, WA (Seattle area)
    My favorite Finnish meme:

Be a human, not a machine.

Angie Kritenbrink
    akritenbrink on most social media

• pavlovsbellpavlovsbell Brooklyn, NY
    Alkaid13 said:

Opinions on fruit teas?

I don't drink many fruit-infused teas, but one of my favorite teas of all time is Mariage Frères Marco Polo. It has a strawberryish flavor to it but more complex.

Palais des Thés also makes lovely teas. Their Thé des Alizés is a lovely citrusy, peachy green tea: http://us.palaisdesthes.com/en_us/the-des-alizes-1679.html

Stop pissing in my soup and saying you're cooling it off.
  • akritenbrinkakritenbrink Lynnwood, WA (Seattle area)
    You know what's funny, the original thread about this was in the VIP Lounge. So if people aren't members they are going to be like... WTF
    pavlovsbell
    Be a human, not a machine.

Angie Kritenbrink
    akritenbrink on most social media

• pavlovsbellpavlovsbell Brooklyn, NY

You know what's funny, the original thread about this was in the VIP Lounge. So if people aren't members they are going to be like... WTF

That was me before I logged into the forum. I didn't know where this discussion came from, or why someone seemed to be trolling this thread with completely irrelevant posts. I was quite confused.
    phoenyx1023akritenbrink
    Stop pissing in my soup and saying you're cooling it off.
    edited August 3
    MT
  • MichelleMichelle California
    edited August 3
    Coffee, always coffee, never tea. Ever.  :)

cdrive
    "Scorch the damn earth before you." - Liz Taylor, AHS