Let's get a ground swell started to get "Everyone Loves Reagan" back up

Jim and A-Ron,

There are alot of us that really enjoy The Americans and really enjoy your coverage of it.  Bring it back.

Comments

• MmmBopMmmBop United Kingdom
    JJ said:

Jim and A-Ron,

There are alot of us that really enjoy The Americans and really enjoy your coverage of it.  Bring it back.

. agree
  • I'll miss the cast but I don't want to hear them do a cast that they're doing begrudgingly. It will destroy the quality of the podcast.
    ksa1001
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    Yeah, it's not coming back, and I don't think you guys would want it too.  I thought our podcast for 303 was horseshit, and maybe you guys couldn't tell, but it was missing whatever special quality we think we bring to our coverage.  Again, it's not like we didn't come into this thing game, we are shocked by our own lack of interest.  I'm super bummed we upset people, but I don't know how to cover something I don't love or enjoy talking about.  Like, we got through 24 by turning it into a joke.  How do I joke about Phillip seducing Kimmy?  Or Elizabeth crushing a dude with a car jack.  I just want to watch Parks and Rec as mental bleach, and it's gone now, I've got no kittens and sunshine in my life anymore, haha.

• chriskchrisk Indianapolis
    Haven't listend to the cast yet, but i figured they only did it in the first place because the liked the show. 

Read it on the Facebook page and assumed it had to do with number of listeners.

If nothing else, I hope we get a wrap up on the TV cast.
    It's both.  If I liked the way the season was going, I'd stick around.  If more people were listening/commenting it would give me more motivation to go on, although another few episodes like the last few and I don't know how long that would last.  It's a bad combo.
  • chriskchrisk Indianapolis
    Huh. I got the impression you guys were pretty cool with how the show had been going, though I'm not caught up on the most recent episode. That's a bummer.
  • I'm going to stick up for this decision. It's a ton of work to make a podcast, and if you don't have any passion for the subject, it's hard to make it good - in the A.Ron & Jim way. Doing all the digging, reading, re-watching, discussing means you have to care. If you don't care, none of those thoughtful details, comments, discussion occur. It becomes very sterile or too fan-casty (blindly cheerleading everything), or it just becomes a snipe-hatewatch-cast. 

ksa1001
  • FlukesFlukes Calgary, Canada
    In all honesty, I have found this season very difficult to watch at times.

At first it was in a cool way.  I have to give the show credit for that.  They can feel the axe hovering above their neck and they've written plot that should attract a lot of attention.

Even with the revelation of the sexual conditioning Phillip and Elizabeth were exposed to, it's not enough to make me want to watch a man wrestle with whether or not (!) he should seduce and deflower a underage girl.

For whatever reason, I'd rather Phillip was forced to kill Kimberley than what appears to be coming down the tracks.
  • I'm enjoying The Americans, but yeah dudes, it is getting DARK. I don't begrudge you at all to stop 'casting it. If you are still watching though, I'd love to hear your thoughts on it, maybe at the end of the season. I know you're pumping out a ton of podcasts (believe me, I listen to them all.) I really liked the old general TV podcast that focused more shallowly on 2 or 3 shows. I have never watched Falling Skies, but I still enjoyed listening to Jim geek out about it. Maybe this is something you could bring back instead?

As for another podcast about The Americans I recommend Watching The Americans  which you can find at: http://www.watchingtheamericans.com

They are two folks who were adults in the 80s and have some interesting memories about those times. They do a very thorough podcast that I enjoy listening to. 

• John_NadaJohn_Nada California
    edited February 2015
    I can and I will respect this decision and completely understand  the decision to discontinue the cast.  I have tried to re watch episodes constantly this season and gave up on some of them and moved on.  I myself have lost interest in the show this season and is not on my must watch list.     
  • pavlovsbellpavlovsbell Brooklyn, NY
    That's too bad, but I understand completely.  I have discontinued two podcasts for similar reasons.  It's not an easy decision to make, but you shouldn't force yourself to do something if your heart is not in it.

We are covering The Americans, and while it certainly is heavier and darker this season, and incredibly sad, I am so invested in the characters and have enough faith in the creators that I am still really enjoying this season.  This was not the case with The Leftovers.  We all connect differently to different things.  
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    I'm disappointed - I love the show and looked forward each week to the podcasts. But you're a business now and in the end it's a business decision and I totally get that.
    ksa1001
    Business depends on customers. We could have maybe had a poll, but if the hosts are not happy, then it's done now. I had my say and will move on.
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    If the numbers are that low, then that means the customers aren't there. It's no different to a shop discontinuing a low selling product.
    Yet some shops will bring the said product back if there is a demand for it, or somebody else will stock it. Not wishing to argue here, just saying my point of view. I have said I respect the decision made.
  • handythinkshandythinks Fort Worth, TX
    edited February 2015
    It really takes courage (and savvy business sense) to make a pragmatic* move like this. I'll miss the coverage, but you guys made the right call. The easier route would have been to power through and finish the season despite your lack of enthusiasm for the material and audience numbers. 

This shines through as a commitment to the quality for the programming you do keep in your lineup. I know how hard that 'Bad News' cast must have been to record. Keep up the outstanding work and we will keep listening. 

* I think Frank Underwood would have done the same (and it would have been his plan all along). 
    Yet old shows that have been done to death are still being casted. The very least could have been a wrap up cast. Not a few poxy minutes of bad news.
    @mmmbop, you know, we thought about doing a wrap up cast, but nothing is really wrapped up.  I really didn't like episode 305, so we thought it would be better to just shut it down rather than talk about the show negatively and THEN announce we're shutting down.  It's a tough call either way, and I'm really sorry to disappoint you.
  • I'm kinda surprised how pissed some people are
  • DrewDrew indianapolis
    I'm really bummed out, The Americans is the best show on TV and the Bald Move dudes are the best podcasters on the Internet. I respect the decision but my disappointment will always be there. Thanks for giving it a shot guys, but yeah this isn't for everyone, the show is extremely dark. I like being able to watch this show and feel the uneasiness it gives me, but I can understand why it's not for everyone.
  • DrewDrew indianapolis
    Also the podcast rise comrades is my second favorite The Americans podcast behind BM.
  • All good, I understand the decision. Ive been having trouble personally finding time to listen to the torrent of recent content lately anyway.
  • This is HORSESHIT!! First the Gotham podcast ends now this? I only started watching this show because of you guys :( 
  • Ok I've listened to the cast you guys did...fine I get it it's tough to watch this show. I found last week's episode of The Americans really upsetting to be honest. I see your complaints and understand them but I wish you could have at least finished the season. I'm not abandoning Baldmove....yet!
  • FreddyFreddy Denton, Texas
    I don't even watch the show, but I listened to the cast since the meat and potatoes of what makes you guys great isn't dependent on the actual subject of the cast. Hell, I don't even watch The Walking Dead anymore; just listen to the cast and then go back and catch the highlights (if there are any).

At any rate, no horse in this race here. Now if say Justified was on the chopping block...
    ksa1001
  • I like the show and the podcast, but if you're so uncomfortable with the direction the show is taking, you're making the right decision. Maybe you can outsorce it next season if there's still demand.

• I respect the decision to get rid of the podcast. One thing I don't get in your complaint about the season though A.Ron: you don't really think Phillip is going to have sex with the girl do you? I don't think there's a chance in hell of that happening. That's a line you can't cross. Even if FX said they were fine with it, I don't think Phillip would ever actually have sex with her the way he's been written. The better question would be if Elizabeth would have sex with a 14 year old boy. I think SHE would, but I think she's a villain through and through, no hero/antihero in her at all. I think she would go and slaughter an entire nursery if it would somehow help the USSR. Phillip is the antihero.
  • I want to say I respect the decision not to do The Americans podcast as well.  When I first saw the announcement on Facebook, and then listened to the 15 minute "Bad News" podcast I was seriously bummed out.  I was actually one of the first ones begging for you guys to do The Americans last year.  However, the more I thought about it, the more I was okay with it.

It comes down to this:  Why do I listen to Bald Move podcasts?  The reason I listen is because you guys are fun to listen to. The reason you are fun to listen to is BECAUSE you are having fun in the podcasts.  I listen to you because, like me, you are crazy passionate fans of the shows you cover.  Even with TWD, in your hearts I can tell you are still fans despite the multitude of (legitimate) complaints.  Plus, again, you are having FUN with that show. 

I really don't want to make Jim and A.Ron dread doing their podcasts and consider it "work" by insisting they watch something they just aren't that into.  Or worse, something that they actively dislike.  That would definitely take the fun out it for them, and us.  Isn't that what Bald Move is all about anyway? 

With regards to The Americans, I still love the show.  However, I can see A.Ron's point about the bleakness of it all in the current season.  Honestly, if they don't show Phillip break away from Elizabeth and Moscow soon by following his conscience it may be too much even for me to watch.  We need a character to root for and not despise.  At this point, I don't see hope for Elizabeth, although watching a complex villain is always fun.  Phillip has always been the character we see hope for.  If they don't give us that, I'm afraid the show won't be watchable for most viewers no matter how good the acting is.  For example, Breaking Bad had Jesse's redemption arc in sync with Walt's downfall.  Both were compelling to watch, but honestly I think it would have been tougher to stomach Breaking Bad with just Walt becoming more and more evil and no counterbalance to it.       

• @tvisgreat I agree with you 100% on Phillip and Elizabeth being anti-hero and villain respectively. And I don't believe for a minute that Phillip will go through with it.