The Dark Tower Reviews

The Dark Tower is getting absolutely shat on by critics, and my soul is crushed. So many years of anticipation for this and it sounds like Sony fucked it up royally. Do you guys think this thing will limp to a profit and they may salvage this in the sequel, or are our hopes and dreams forever ruined? 

Comments

• In the trailer it was said that Roland will like earth. This turned me off, the gunslinger is from the future not another planet. At least that the way I always read the books
    weeniegirl
  • I don't know what it is with King novels and their difficultly to adapt. What I can guess is that a typical King plot is pretty ABC but it's his descriptiveness and world and character building that really makes his novels fun to read. Because of this writers might have to add to the plot in their own way to make it work on the screen?
  • gguenot said:

I don't know what it is with King novels and their difficultly to adapt. What I can guess is that a typical King plot is pretty ABC but it's his descriptiveness and world and character building that really makes his novels fun to read. Because of this writers might have to add to the plot in their own way to make it work on the screen?

There have been successes though, Shawshank Redemption, IT, The Green Mile, The Mist, The Shining...

The problem with this movie is they had Akiva Goldsman writing, a complete amateur Director, and according to Variety the studio micro-managed the post production process. They basically took what was supposed to be a Lord of the Rings style epic story and turned it into a generic young adult action film. 
    TaraC73
  • gguenotgguenot CA
    edited August 3
    I agree that the movies listed above were good adaptations (add Misery in there too) with the exception of the Shining- good horror movie, bad adaptation of the source material since it changes major key points of the novel. I agree with your analysis though.
    DaveyMac
  • kingbee67kingbee67 Los Angeles Ca.
    19% on rotten tomatoes, ouch! Might as well just stick with the books.
  • TaraC73TaraC73 Manchester NH
    Oh man, I've been dying for this movie :( I would add Carrie to the list of good king movies.
  • bizmarkiefaderbizmarkiefader San Francisco
    I only read the first book and it was a long time ago but nothing in the trailers really rung any bells for me other than that he had a bunch of revolvers. Is this supposed to be the same story?
  • weeniegirlweeniegirl Atlanta, GA
    When I saw the runtime is only 95 minutes I got a sinking feeling and have avoided reviews. My husband and I are big fans of the series and especially enjoyed the audio books, so this is pretty crushing.
  • weeniegirlweeniegirl Atlanta, GA
    BTW, if any fans of the series haven't yet read "The Wind in the Keyhole", do yourself a favor and move it to the front of the queue!
    TaraC73
  • Is it true that this film attempted to cover the entire book series in a single film?  Haven't read the series myself, but that sounds like an insanely bad idea. 
    I read that this movie takes place after the last book but can't confirm it and only read that in one place...
  • I read the first book in The Dark Tower series when I was 17 (I'm 46 now) and have read the entire series multiple times since SK finished the series in 2004. I eagerly awaited for this adaptation and had tickets for the first showing last night. If you are an avid book reader, avoid this movie. It will be a waste of your time. If you aren't an avid book reader, it will be "just OK". I checked out for the following reasons: 1. The movie focuses on Jake, the boy. The Dark Tower has always been about Roland Deschain, the Gunslinger. 2. Roland's motivation in the movie is revenge. His motivation in the books has always been saving and reaching the top of the Tower. The Man in Black was a means to an end. 3. In the movie, Roland states that he is no longer a Gunslinger and is essentially aimless, other than revenge. This is where I really checked out. Roland's nature is single-minded. He never cries off his destiny and would have never renounced himself. These are central tenants to the story. When an adaptation strays from the soul of the original work, I'm done. Sony fucked this up royally. I can't believe Stephen King gave his thumb's up to this...the silver lining is this movie will never affect my mind's eye retelling of the story when I eventually read it again.
    webswingerElisaweeniegirldoncisco1979
  • TaraC73 said:

I read that this movie takes place after the last book but can't confirm it and only read that in one place...

They said that to take liberties with the script...If you haven't read the series, I won't spoil it for you, but technically they are right, but at the same time they are full of bullshit.
  • Stackpile said:

Is it true that this film attempted to cover the entire book series in a single film?  Haven't read the series myself, but that sounds like an insanely bad idea. 
    No, they took elements from books 1, 3 and 5, but they did not try to tell the whole story in this movie. The director did an AMA on reddit and said if this movie succeeds there will be more, and Eddie and Susannah would be cast in the next one. There is also a TV series in the early stages of development that will cover Wizard and Glass. 
  • aberry89aberry89 California
    Should've been an HBO series.... :(
    EMAW42ElisaweeniegirlGredalBee
    reepobob said:

TaraC73 said:

They said that to take liberties with the script...If you haven't read the series, I won't spoil it for you, but technically they are right, but at the same time they are full of bullshit.
    I've read up to song of Susannah I need to pick that back up and finish it to move on.....
  • Fuck those guys, and fuck Idris Elba for sticking with this piece of shit.

PS my favourite book in the series was WIzard and Glass.  Maybe because I'm a sucker for well-told origin stories or maybe I like the melancholy feel to it.
  • I enjoyed it. It's not perfect and some of the direction is terrible, but I liked it anyway and it is a fine jumping off point for continued works. 
    KingKobra
  • Regarding the books I was pretty meh on the series, until I got to Wizard and Glass. Wizard and glass is both a straighforward story and a very moving one. I hope this movie doesn't ruin the chances of ever seeing a wizard and glass adaptation.
  • Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA
    Haven't seen the movie, haven't read the books. But I am a pretty big King fan outside of The Dark Tower series. I just thought I'd point out something in the podcast...The guys were asking about why "shining" was mentioned in The Dark Tower. I have to assume it's because most-all of King's books (except The Stand if memory serves and the Bachman books) take place in the same universe. Like IT and The Green Mile both reference Shawshank Penitentiary. And a character from a Needful Things may reference living in Derry and knowing a character from IT. They are all crazy intertwined. Its pretty fantastic actually. 
  • This was pretty cool to read through. http://stephenking.com/darktower/connections/
    TaraC73
  • Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA
    ohio73 said:

This was pretty cool to read through. http://stephenking.com/darktower/connections/

Holy shit. Thanks!
  • Frakkin TFrakkin T Currently Offline

ohio73 said:

This was pretty cool to read through. http://stephenking.com/darktower/connections/

Holy shit. Thanks!
    As a book fan, I was disappointed by this movie. The movie itself seemed to be a mashup of the greatest hits from the books, like if someone decided to tell the entire story in one movie. If you've read the books and know how book 7 ends, this isn't a terrible idea. They could tell the series in one movie, and the nature of Roland's universe would allow for a soft, in-universe reboot for the next one. (Can't get too far into why this would make sense without spoiling the end of the books.) My problems are two-fold. First, as @reepobob said, the character motivations were majorly changed from the books, in a way that seems less like innovation and more like dumbing-down. Second, there was absolutely no inclination of any of the meta stuff. It would have been nice to have some hint that Roland's world contains elements that are part of real fiction in our world, like the Father Callahan character from the books. There was no attempt to build the world out and no attempt to bring in other characters from the series. It felt like they cherry-picked the highlighted parts in a Cliff notes telling of the books, put them in a hat and picked out elements at random. To be successful, this movie needed a lot more depth, a lot more exposition and grounding in the world, and at least another hour of run-time. 
  • I'm going to be against the grain on this one. I liked it a lot. It wasn't perfect, but far from trash. If you haven't read th books, you'll enjoy this A LOT more as a pure action packed movie (it's relentless). I thought Idris was perfect for the role of the gunslinger and MM did a good job with MIB. I went with a non book reader (said it was awesome, and a book reader, said she liked it a lot). Going in knowing that this is VERY loosely connected to the books helps. It's not a drama or mystery movie AT ALL. It's basically action with fantasy elements. I'd recommend going in with tempered expectations, but I would still recommend going to see this movie. This movie will put a stick in the butts of major fans, because King built a large universe and this is a short introduction (this was a super fast 80/90 minute movie).
  • It's the equivalent of taking 94 minutes to wrap up the entire Song of Ice and Fire, and resulting in a movie like Reign of Fire that's why book readers are pissed
  • *some book readers are pissed :p
  • I think it's a mess even with the soft reboot. I thought that the end of the books would make it easier to adapt and keep the book readers happy. But they glossed over and changed so much. My hopes for a second movie are very low now. But maybe it will go to cable TV.
  • kuman07kuman07 Kansas City

Saw it this weekend and really disappointing. The worst part is there was actually some good stuff and things to like. I thought the writing was good in the beginning but this needed to be a multi film thing, not a 90 minutes movie.  Too much to try and cram in 90 minutes. Lot of potential wasted.

• Since there are some hardcore King fans here, what's the opinion so far on the IT trailers?