What podcast is the most knowledgeable?

I'll stop listening to a podcast when they keep making dumb mistakes. Not mistakes that only super nerds would know, but getting things that are common knowledge wrong. I like listening to podcasts where the host know more than I do, or at least bring up things that I forgot or didn't connect the dots on.
My favorite podcast was history of westeros but I've moved them to #2 and BM #1. I started listening to a cast of kings and I like the hosts on other podcasts, /film and their Westwood one but something just doesn't sit right with the GoT one. I stopped following Game of Ownes because they are just too goofy.
Would love to add another GoT podcast but they have to know wtf they are talking about. I don't care about book spoilers but I don't want production ones.

I think the list of most GoT/asoiaf knowledge goes like this
1. History of westeros
2. Radio westeros
3. Bald move
4. A cast of kings
5. Game of owns
6. Dragons on the wall
Then podcasts that I think don't know shit like
Demon monkey, stark raven mad, on the throne podcast.
funktownrock

Comments

• Storm of Spoilers? (dont listen myself).
  • Doesn't that cover production leaks though? I heard it does so I haven't listened.
    Lannitik
  • Doesn't that cover production leaks though? I heard it does so I haven't listened.

they do, but there is a warning now.  the first segment is production spoiler free
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    Jason and Mallory on Bingemode know their stuff.  I haven't listened to a lot of their podcasts because of time, but Jason used to write the "Maester" article on Grantland and was really good.  Although when you're talking live, mistakes happen.
  • @A_Ron_Hubbard thanks.
    Some how I don't think ur just talking about other people making mistakes lol.
    The mistakes you make are cool and funny like callinged Ed Sheeran Ed Shireen. That was funny or when u just can't pronounce something. But it's not because u don't know what u r talking about. So it makes it enjoyable.
    moughajc
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I hope Bald Move is very knowledgeable because it's the only one I listen to and it's what helps me keep everything straight in this convoluted series. 

It's my favorite the other two may have more book knowledge, but BM is more entertaining and Aron does great research. His tinfoil theories are the best I've heard.
  • Best analysis this week came from Bill Simmons' dad in the last 10 minutes of his latest podcast.

He's a fan of that woman who died this week (didn't see that coming), Jon Snow, Jamie Lannister (if you put aside the incest), not a fan of the new guy with the boats, creeped out by Bran.
    A_Ron_Hubbard
  • Jason and Mallory on Bingemode know their stuff.  I haven't listened to a lot of their podcasts because of time, but Jason used to write the "Maester" article on Grantland and was really good.  Although when you're talking live, mistakes happen.

@A_Ron_Hubbard, I created a Binge Mode thread mainly because I think Jason and Mallory can be a little polarizing for whether you like them as a podcast or not.  They clearly know their stuff but knowing your stuff doesn't necessarily mean a good podcast you can make.  Also, Jason still does his Ask The Maester column for The Ringer which is still good for a read in my opinion.

A friend of mine who is a big GoT fan just tried to tell me of a new podcast that he found on iTunes called Game of the Thrones Podcast and when I asked if it was from Bald Move he said yes and said that he was just searching iTunes for GoT podcasts, found the Bald Move one and was hooked.  So props to Jim and Aron for getting another listener/download. 

• @akritenbrink if you want some great book knowledge about past events that aren't covered in the books or show, just referenced history of westeros is great. Radio westeros is great for character bios. HoW covers the show and books, but their deep dive into the lore is all books. RW is only book stuff
  • Yes thouse two podcast can be long. I'm lucky I guess because I'm driving around 3-5 hrs a day. So it's perfect for me.
  • Bald Move is easily my favorite. Very in depth and covers everything that other people/podcasts leave out. Binge Mode is also very good too but takes the POV of a fan, instead of being critical of the story/execution. 
    webswinger
  • The podcast are great, and the active forums are a big plus. They are not so busy that you can't keep up, and so dead that you have to wait 2 days for someone to engage in conversation. It's in the Goldielocks zone
    DeeElisa
  • I think one of the biggest compliments that I can give the guys is that their podcasts in gernal have the Howard Stern touch. Much like HS show, it's like listening or participating in a conversation with friends. That is what sets them above the rest IMO.
    webswingermoughajc
  • A podcast of ice and fire was one of the first game of thrones podcasts I got into. Amin in particular is one of these most knowledgeable people about games of thrones. They don't do great coverage of the TV show and their release schedule is pretty random but maybe worth a listen.

I could never really get in to history of westeros, everything just sounds so scripted, like they are just reading it off a card. I can't stand really scripted podcasts. Westeros.org used to do episode reviews and Elio is probably one of these most knowledgeable people around besides Martin himself in regards to the books, but I can hardly stand Linda personally.

Not related to the TV show but boiled leather is also pretty good.
  • Boiled Leather Audio Hour (BLAH) is my favorite. Pod of Ice and Fire is the nerdiest but most "on it," while the BLAH takes a very literature/academic approach to the narrative and text. They do episodes about chunks of the television series as well but largely they focus on the larger themes and  to quote our boys "what GRRM is playing at." They've branched out a bit since the beginning and you have to dig into Sean T. Collins' tumbler  (all leather must be boiled) to get to a big chunk of their earlier pods which were heavily book focused. If you don't like any American political talk from a couple of Dyed in the Wool Commies  steer clear. Also Stefan is German and calls Oberyn the "Red Wiper" and it never gets old.

I joined forums to share this message.
    GiovanniElisa
  • I should mention that Sean from BLAH also was the first guy to come up with a  combined reading order for Feast and Dance. Which I have read and is too long but otherwise great. 
    Elisa
  • OldGriswoldOldGriswold Brooklyn
    edited August 2017

A podcast of ice and fire was one of the first game of thrones podcasts I got into. Amin in particular is one of these most knowledgeable people about games of thrones. They don't do great coverage of the TV show and their release schedule is pretty random but maybe worth a listen.

I could never really get in to history of westeros, everything just sounds so scripted, like they are just reading it off a card. I can't stand really scripted podcasts. Westeros.org used to do episode reviews and Elio is probably one of these most knowledgeable people around besides Martin himself in regards to the books, but I can hardly stand Linda personally.

Same here.  I've listened to a few of theirs this season already but they just appear to be pissed off that the show isn't the books (I get it, but dang)

I actually thought they bailed for a while - are they the same as Vassals of Kingsgrave?  Did they change their name?  I don't think more than one podcast could do lemoncake ratings.  I'm confused.
  • edited August 2017
    I used to enjoy Boars, Gores and Swords because they had great quips, goofs and gaffs. Then I revisited them this season and they were so political and I don't mean Westero's politics. Like we don't hear enough of that stuff everywhere else.

EDIT: By far Bald Move is the best podcast out there, I relate most to A.Ron. So I thank you sir.
  • edited August 2017

A podcast of ice and fire was one of the first game of thrones podcasts I got into. Amin in particular is one of these most knowledgeable people about games of thrones. They don't do great coverage of the TV show and their release schedule is pretty random but maybe worth a listen.

Same here.  I've listened to a few of theirs this season already but they just appear to be pissed off that the show isn't the books (I get it, but dang)

I actually thought they bailed for a while - are they the same as Vassals of Kingsgrave?  Did they change their name?  I don't think more than one podcast could do lemoncake ratings.  I'm confused.
    Well, like most things it's a bit complicated. They have 4 hosts, but only two have really continued to cover the TV show (Amin and Kyle). The other two hosts haven't been around much for non-show coverage either. The 4 together are pretty good with their older book coverage. They also use a lot of guests, and have had other show hosts way back in the past.

They created two other offshoot podcasts -- Bastards of Kingsgrave and Vassals of Kingsgrave -- for covering other topics (like games, anime, hearthstone etc.). The Bastards podcasts only requires one of their main hosts, while the Vassals podcasts are fans from the forums who are podcasting on their own. Vassals would be a equivalent of a bunch of us from the forums covering something Jim and A.Ron don't cover (or even in addition to in the case of the GoT TV show) kind of under the Bald Move name. 

My main complaints about their coverage is the quality isn't always great and they don't release content on a regular schedule. They're basically pretty amateur in terms of their production, which is understandable since they probably aren't earning any income off it and aren't disciplined enough to offer a regular release schedule. Mostly I think they kind of lost interest like a lot of us because Martin's long period in between books. 

• LannitikLannitik Milwaukee
    History of West/Radio West are the best IMO. 
    They are UNBELIEVABLY deep and they've read everything. 

Bald move is the next best one. 

I listen to some others occasionally. 
    I used to listen to A Cast of Kings, but I really felt it became a bit to preachy, and had a lot of political statements, that just rubbed me the wrong way. 

darwinfeeshywebswingermoughajc
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    I think this guy is kind of negging @Jim and @A_Ron_Hubbard, to be honest, but yay for the Vulture pimp, I guess?

http://www.vulture.com/article/best-game-of-thrones-podcasts.html
    darwinfeeshy
  • edited August 2017
    I agree that History of Westeros and Radio Westeros are the most knowledgable about the lore.

I think this guy is kind of negging @Jim and @A_Ron_Hubbard, to be honest, but yay for the Vulture pimp, I guess?

http://www.vulture.com/article/best-game-of-thrones-podcasts.html
    "That scruffy, DIY quality is the source of this podcast’s charm". Who's this guy callin scruffy? Scruffy my ass!
    moughajc
  • I like to listen to podcasts on my commute, or while I exercise in the evenings. I've found a nice GoT rotation to get me from Sunday to Sunday:

Sunday - Instatake - Baldmove
    Monday - TalkTheThrones - Ringer production only on Twitter
    Tuesday - Recap - Baldmove
    Wednesday - Show Recap - History of Westeros
    Thursday - Binge Mode - Ringer Podcast
    Friday - Spoilore Edition - Baldmove
    Saturday/Sunday - If I've finished the rest, I sometimes listen to History of Westeros Book to Show episodes

My two favorites are Baldmove and Binge Mode. The rest are good, but if I'm going to skip one, it will be one of those.

• weeniegirlweeniegirl Atlanta, GA
    I usually listen to Vassals of Kingsgrave for their ongoing book reread discussions. Because of the nature of the podcast as explained above, the conversations can be hit or miss depending on who is contributing to each episode, but they are usually pretty entertaining and informative.
This discussion has been closed.