Thanks a lot Canada (and Montana)

emnofseattleemnofseattle Mason County, Washington USA
edited August 4 in General
This is maybe a first, definitely a first for me and I've lived here for over 20 years, for the first time ever Seattle (and the city doesn't even have the worst of it) has worse air quality than Mumbai and Beijing. And we have a heavy smoke blanketing the whole area, so hazy you can't see the sky. And the reason is a multitude of wildfires burning in the BC interior and Western Montana, and these two smoke clouds from these massive fires converging.

On top of that it's now 10pm Pacific Standard and it's still 90 degrees outside.

I hate summer btw. I can't wait until October.

I don't know how to post pics on the mobile, but google "Seattle smoke haze"

Comments

I hate summer btw. I can't wait until October.

That's one thing we can agree on :)
    Brawnkingbee67
  • Alkaid13Alkaid13 Georgia
    Huh I didn't think Seattle had to deal with unreasonable summer heat like we have down here, is it usually 90 degrees up there in the summer? Also is it a dry or wet heat?
  • akritenbrinkakritenbrink Lynnwood, WA (Seattle area)
    Alkaid13 said:

Huh I didn't think Seattle had to deal with unreasonable summer heat like we have down here, is it usually 90 degrees up there in the summer? Also is it a dry or wet heat?

It's unusual for us to get this hot; typically our summer highs are around 80, +/- a few degrees, but we will have a bit of a hot streak now and then. Usually it happens when visitors from the Midwest are coming haha. It's a dry heat- I haven't looked this up for a week or so but I don't think we've had any precipitation at all for about 6-7 weeks.

The thing that makes it extra suck is most people do not have AC in our homes. We do tend to have AC in offices and public places so you will see a lot of people either at the beach, the movie theatre or the mall. My current place is OK because we have a lot of windows and a lot of shade, but if you live in an apartment without proper ventilation, it's horrible. 

Yes, the smoke was AWFUL, seems to have cleared up somewhat today. All my friends were posting dramatic Instagram sunset pics so I guess there was some silver lining haha. But it was hard to breathe yesterday.
  • I couldn't breathe yesterday or the day before.
    akritenbrink
  • Alkaid13Alkaid13 Georgia
    edited August 4
    For a state with a lot of trees in it and particularly dry weather I can't say I've ever had to deal with a lot of smoke problems from forest fires near where I live. Maybe it just rains enough here for it not to be problem? But then literally an hour north of me has fire problems.
    akritenbrink
    Alkaid13 said:

For a state with a lot of trees in it and particularly dry weather I can't say I've ever had to deal with a lot of smoke problems from forest fires near where I live. Maybe it just rains enough here for it not to be problem? But then literally an hour north of me has fire problems.

I'm not an expert, but I do think it's the extreme dryness of our summers that causes the fires. It's just a normal feature of summer in this region. The fires tend to be inland, usually, in the hotter part of the region (east of the Cascades gets way hotter) but the smoke sometimes becomes part of our weather. There was an extra bad one a couple of years ago called the Okanogan Complex Fire and it was in the headlines daily, but they happen every year.
    It did make for some very cool sunset pics... Instagram was really hopping yesterday with them haha.

Here's one from the West Seattle Blog

Murderbear
  • redlancerredlancer Seattle
    edited August 4
    95% + of the time our weather comes from the west, so you get cooler air directly off the Pacific and keeps the temps close to the same range all year (a 'cool' day in the summer isn't far off from a 'warm' day in the winter). Every now and then a high pressure pattern sets up where we get air from the east, so the air comes over the Cascades and compresses as it drops into the NW (heating it up) and then just stagnates in place. This time it carried in the smoke from Canada with it and now it's just one big hotbox until we get some fresh air. Crazy good sunrises/sunsets, though  :)

cool NASA site where you can see the smoke come in over the last few days:  NASA EOSDIS Worlview
    akritenbrink
    Is it clearer for you guys today? It's clearer for me today in S. Snohomish county, but I still have an itch in my throat.
    Hey guys, looks like we might be able to breathe again this weekend.