704 - "Spoilers (ha) of War"

Directed by: Matt Shakman
Written by: David Benioff and D. B. Weiss

Please no discussion of leaked spoilers in this thread!
cdrivefunktownrockAlkaid13MichelleKingKobra

Comments

• edited August 7

Directed by: Matt Shakman
    Written by: David Benioff and D. B. Weiss

Please no discussion of leaked spoilers in this thread!

Did you watch it?

Edit: Am I already breaking the #1 rule?
    Macfoo97
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    I'm so pumped for this episode. I've managed to avoid spoilers, so I'm ready to go.
    gguenotKingKobraMurderbear
  • And here we .. go! (Joker voice)
    cdrive
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    edited August 7
    Interesting tweet photo from Dinklage:

Edit: or maybe not. He's does that right before every episode this year. But he usually says "Tonight. #name of episode". This time he said "The Spoils of War #GameofThrones".
  • Vasilnate1Vasilnate1 Salem, MA
    OK, show us where all that budget money went to
  • Alkaid13Alkaid13 Georgia
    Chaos is a ladder indeed. Littlefinger has apparently not calculated for limited omniscience in his game. Old gods I hope he gets it this season.
    weeniegirlBrawnGredalBeeakritenbrink
  • davemcbdavemcb Melbourne
    At least Bran managed to use one of his hands to hug Arya
    accokreepKingKobraGredalBeeakritenbrinkJovial_Falcon
  • MichelleMichelle California
    "You died in that cave."
    CarrieShevs
  • edited August 7
    Arya & Brienne: Best Friends 4ever
    akritenbrink
  • Hollllyyyyy shittttt
  • God dammit that episode felt like 15 minutes.
    Murderbear
  • This should be a good Instacast BABY!!!
    This was brilliant although it was a short episode I love it all. I could have sworn it was a 20 minute episode and you look up and its almost over. I also thought another 5 minutes could have been great but as always it leaves you wanting more

• Arya's fight scene was great
    • All things Bron and Jamie 
    • the end battle 
    • Dragons!
    • Dickon! 
    • Stark x 3 at Winterfell
    • Littlefinger fucking himself over
    Elisa
  • pavlovsbellpavlovsbell Brooklyn, NY
    So yeah, I think I nearly had a heart attack at the end there. When Jaime fell in the water, I realized I was holding my breath like I did when Jon was suffocating in "Battle of the Bastards."

KingKobraMichelleDaveyMacJovial_FalconDaninstinson
  • OliviaDOliviaD Cincinnati, Ohio
    Jamie's face right before drogon turned to roast him= "I immediately regret this decision"
    davemcbKingKobraMichelleBrawnGredalBeewebswingerakritenbrinkMelonuskGarRowe
  • All the ChickensAll the Chickens Birmingham, AL
    edited August 7
    Someone should fill D&D in on the fact that the scorpion ballista weapon that killed a dragon in Dorne 300 years ago was meant to be taken as a 1 in a million shot, not that these are incredibly effective weapons.

You shouldnt be able to swivel it around and aim it up and down quick enough to keep up with targeting a dragon swooping around. At least not before the dragon lights it on fire from the side.

I guess what I'm saying is next time Drogon will know to ZIG ZAG.
    GredalBeewebswingerCarrieShevs
  • Alkaid13Alkaid13 Georgia
    So, acting under the assumption Jamie doesn't just drown, next episode I assume Team Dany fishes him out. That should be a fun family reunion.
    CaptainTripsElisa
  • As others have said even though that episode was the shortest in history, it "felt" much shorter. We get Aray at winterfell and then BOOM fire!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm wishywashy in what happens with Jamie. Do they capture him (again) to use as a high value captive, or is his and Bronns time done. I just want to say,
    We now can see where a lot of budget went. This battle was great.
    Also i proved that Qyburn's giant crossbows are effectively ineffective. Yes it knocked Drogon out of the air for a bit but he was able to just hover in place even with the arrow still there. 

Plus that shouldn't be a one man weapon but Bron is a beast
    akritenbrinkCarrieShevs
  • Sansa while watching Arya spat with Brienne "what the fuck happened to my siblings?"
    BrawnakritenbrinkDaveyMac
  • Someone should fill D&D in on the fact that the scorpion ballista weapon that killed a dragon in Dorne 300 years ago was meant to be taken as a 1 in a million shot, not that these are incredibly effective weapons.

You shouldnt be able to swivel it around and aim it up and down quick enough to keep up with targeting a dragon swooping around. At least not before the dragon lights it on fire from the side.

I guess what I'm saying is next time Drogon will know to ZIG ZAG.

I agree for the most part but 300 years of weapons "technology" could have found a way to make them more versatile.
    Murderbear
  • gguenot said:

Sansa while watching Arya spat with Brienne "what the fuck happened to my siblings?"

She seems primed to do something dumb. As is family tradition.
    budesignsMurderbear
  • If Meera actually leaves and never comes back, then I feel like this is an admission of the double D's that they have idea what happens to her in the books. They were like "Look, we have no idea what your purpose is anymore and we want to use your salary for more dragons sooooo....."
    podcartfan
  • All the ChickensAll the Chickens Birmingham, AL
    edited August 7
    KingKobra said:

As others have said even though that episode was the shortest in history, it "felt" much shorter. We get Aray at winterfell and then BOOM fire!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm wishywashy in what happens with Jamie. Do they capture him (again) to use as a high value captive, or is his and Bronns time done. I just want to say,

Agreed. Although, i dont think we're done with seeing where the budget went this season. I'm guessing at least 1 or 2 more major CGI set pieces, mixed in with some smaller ones. Although I'm guessing thats the one with the most extras involved, ala Battle of the Bastards.
    DummyMichelleCaptainTripsElisaBrawnJmusickGredalBeewebswingerDeeakritenbrinkand 6 others.
  • KingKobra said:

As others have said even though that episode was the shortest in history, it "felt" much shorter. We get Aray at winterfell and then BOOM fire!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm wishywashy in what happens with Jamie. Do they capture him (again) to use as a high value captive, or is his and Bronns time done. I just want to say,

Agreed. Although, i dont think we're done with seeing where the budget went this season. I'm guessing at least 2 or 3 more major CGI set pieces, mixed in with some smaller ones. Although I'm guessing thats the one with the most extras involved, ala Battle of the Bastards.
    Oh I don't think we're done either, but this far people have wondered "where" is it. Of course in every Dragonstone scene and every throne scene heck, in most shots there is major CGI happening.
  • One thing that stood out that I very much liked is how they finally made the normal run-of-the-mill Dothraki appropriately badass and terrifying. I've always hated the "Ensign Rickie" trope of non-main characters dying off quickly having little to no effect, they did this a lot in previous seasons with the unsullied and I always found it really annoying. Here we got to see several no-name Dothraki dying off but they were tearing shit up before they went down, making it easily believable that they would be quickly laying waste to a professional Lannister army even without dragons. 

My strategic nit-pick though is that I was pretty disappointed that Drogon wasn't properly used initially. I thought they were going to have them all line up to face the Dothraki and then have Drogon rush in from one of the flanks and just roast the Lannister battle line. I guess they couldn't resist the visual of flying at them head-on. 
    CaptainTripswebswingerHunter
  • Dummy said:

If Meera actually leaves and never comes back, then I feel like this is an admission of the double D's that they have idea what happens to her in the books. They were like "Look, we have no idea what your purpose is anymore and we want to use your salary for more dragons sooooo....."

*shrug* it was a good way for her to exit,'and not have people go Where the F is she? Of course further talk should happen in Spoilerlore ;)
    Dummyweeniegirl
    Alkaid13 said:

So, acting under the assumption Jamie doesn't just drown, next episode I assume Team Dany fishes him out. That should be a fun family reunion.

That would be a hilarious and perhaps poetic turn of events to Jaime using Robb's Whispering Woods tactics and claiming that he learned from it. Would Jaime getting captured again be satisfying? It certainly would set Cersei off.

Did Daenerys burn all the gold? And the food... that she needs herself?
    ghm3
  • SingletonSingleton Fresno, CA
    HOLY FUCKING SHIT!!

I had chills the entire epsiode. I couldn't sit down for most of it, to anxious. If Jaime had gone out that way I wouldnt have been dissapointed. What a fantastic way to die. However I am really looking forward to his reunion with Tyrion now.

As for the cave scene with Jon/Dany tension i am glad they are being subtle about it.

Brianne and Arya, I could not have been happier.

And fuck you Littlefinger, the Starks have got your number
    ghm3BrawnGarRowepavlovsbell