Short Lived Shows ... Gone but not forgotten

Curious what shows people have on their list of short lived shows.

My are in no particular order:

Terriers

Black Donnellys

Saving Grace

Tru Calling

Witchblade

Dark Angel

Roswell

Doll House 

And glad it's finally out on DVD China Beach

Comments

• DeeDee Adelaide
    edited February 2015
    Well, Freaks and Geeks is the one that immediately comes to mind. Although as a single season it's perfection, so I guess I'm appreciative of that.

As for others, they're more like "gone and forgotten by everyone but me" - Aliens in America was a really sweet one season sitcom about a Pakistani Muslim exchange student who goes to live with a family in Minnesota. It starred Adhir Kalyan and Dan Byrd, and you'd think it would just be a set up for a lot of cheap jokes about brown people, but it wasn't. I miss that one.

Going back a million years is one that was shown in Australia in the mid-90s in the middle of the night called Bakersfield PD. It was a sitcom about a group of dumb cops in a small town (Ron Eldard, Chris Mulkey, and others) who get a new colleague from a big city played by Giancarlo Esposito. I finally found it somewhere I can't mention a few years ago and it still holds up.

And then there's My So Called Life, which is one that's remembered and beloved by many. I don't think that was ever shown here in Aus so although I'd heard about it for years in pop culture circles I only saw it about four or five years ago when my daughter and I went through a phase of watching a bunch of one and two season wonders. By the time I finally saw it I was pushing 40, and I would have been technically too old for it even when it was on, but I still loved it and I was so bummed that it just ended on a cliffhanger and that was that.

And finally pretty much all of Bryan Fuller's earlier works - Pushing Daisies, Wonderfalls, Dead Like Me. Come baaaaaack.
  • Deadwood, Carnivale, Firefly, and agree with Dee on My So Called Life.
  • TravisTravis CA
    edited February 2015

Dee said:

And finally pretty much all of Bryan Fuller's earlier works - Pushing Daisies, Wonderfalls, Dead Like Me. Come baaaaaack.

I've been wanting to re-watch Wonderfalls but you can't find it on any of the streaming services, lame. Also, Dead Like Me's too short of a run was made even more frustrating with that ridiculous movie they made. Just awful. It was a really good show.

Freaks and Geeks is always the first show that comes to my mind when I see a question like this as well.

I've started watching Deadwood (about 6 episodes in) and I'm really psyched that we've finally gotten around to it. Very good show. Terriers is on my list too, got to get to that one.

Better Off Ted! Also, Go On really bummed me out because they were really finding their way. People bailed after a rocky start, but that show got really good. You may think I'm crazy, but I was really bummed when Don't Trust the B in Apt 23 got cancelled. Enlisted also comes to mind.

ghm3
  • Deadwood. Black Donnelys, Terriers, Carnivale ... all excellent choices. 
    For the one-and-done category, there was this interesting sci-fi show on ABC called Defying Gravity. Would have liked to have seen where they were going to take that one. 
  • OMG how did I forget My So Called Life, I have the dvd set and watched it with my daughter when she was about 16 she loved it as much as I did.

I also have Freaks and Geeks but have never had time to watch it, I also enjoyed Pushing Daisies and of course Firefly. And lastly Terminator The Sarah Conner Chronicles.

I thought Don't Trust the B in Apt. 23 was pretty funny too

• DeeDee Adelaide
    Okay, this a topic that's dear to my heart so I've thought of more but I won't ramble on about them this time: Popular, Grosse Pointe, Undeclared, Reaper, Sons of Tuscon.
  • Oh and The Riches, it had great cast; Eddie Izzard, Minnie Driver, Shannon Woodward, Noel Fischer and Margo Martindale.

Putting that on the top of my re-watch list.

• aberry89aberry89 California
    edited February 2015
    Does "Rome" count? I loved the SHIT out of that show. To this day one of my favorites, yes ending and all. Vorenus and Pullo and pretty much every other charachter on that show were some of the best written charachters ever. I also love ancient Rome, Greece all that so to see it done so well was wonderful. 
    steph_bghm3April_May_June
  • Definitely "Rome". I still love the show and re-watch  episodes now and then. It was supposed to be five seasons long but HBO cut it short since it was too expensive and they needed money for Game of Thrones. Clearly, a good financial decision on their part.
    aberry89steph_bApril_May_June
  • Rome! So damn good.
    aberry89steph_bghm3April_May_June
  • John_NadaJohn_Nada California
    So I know this is old but for me it was Jericho. I had to buy the comics just to finish the show out. I really got into the show and hated to see it go.
    TaraC73Hatorian
  • Frakkin TFrakkin T Currently Offline
    Flashforward was a good idea for a show, but it ended up just being stupid. That was one of the shows that came out when networks were all looking for the next Lost. Others included The River, The Vanishing, The Nine, and the Event. Flashforward was probably the best of the lot.

TravisTaraC73
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    I LOVED Pushing Daisies.  Such a great concept.  One I haven't seen mentioned is Space: Above and Beyond.  It was kind of a gritty, BSG concept done in the late 90's on Fox, and was canceled after one season and ended on a fairly major cliffhanger that will never be resolved.  I've been very tempted to pull the trigger on the DVDs on Amazon.

I've also talked in the past about Earth: Final Conflict.  I thought season one was wonderful, and I know it ran on for 2-3 more seasons, but they trashed literally everything that worked in season one and replaced the leads with new dudes and it sucked hard.  I really wish I could have seen the original vision and arc for that show.

Also, I really liked Earth 2, which also was going interesting places and got the plug pulled.  Although, I wonder whether it was really good, or I just had a hormonal crush on Rebecca Gayheart.
  • Frakkin TFrakkin T Currently Offline
    @A_Ron_Hubbard Wasn't EFC from a Gene Roddenberry idea?
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    Yeah, that was the line, his wife, Majel Barrett was using at the time, and what the hell, I believe her. Supposedly it was a pilot and series blueprint she pitched. But if any of that was true, it got thrown out for season 2 on.
  • ksa1001ksa1001 Plano, TX
    Nothing beats My So Called Life for ultimate "WTF they canceled that!?!?" show.
    Loved it and was able to share with my daughter.

Black Donnollys was a recent personal fave that was AMAZED didn't last. Was truly cable quality.

Brotherhood on Showtime was also pretty great with a cast that has gone on to amazing things.

On the comedy side of things, Better Off Ted was very good.

Honorable mention to Terriers.
    Travis
  • FlashGordonFlashGordon Leeds, UK
    edited March 2015
    Rome and Deadwood are the only two that have actually pissed me off when they got cancelled. I didn't feel too let down by Rome it just tried to cram in too much and as the story is available from so many sources, at least you know what happens

Deadwood still irks me though, A) because it got canceled for such shitty political reasons & B) even though it got 3 seasons, if only it had a 4th to wrap it up, it'd be up there with BrBa, the Wire et al for me.

I remember watching Flashforward, great potential but as soon as they they started talking blue hand gang, i noped out.  That show nearly stopped me watching the leftovers because it sounded like a similar premise.

steph_bghm3
  • Anybody remember Now and Again?   I loved that show.   Dennis Haysbert as mad scientist, some good looking guy as government superhero, and John Goodman as the guy whose brain they used to make the government superhero.
  • I'm also a big fan of Don't Trust the B---, as we discussed on the favorite sitcom thread.

Lucky Louie was a show that deserved more than one season. But as I also said on that sitcom thread, that eventually brought us the even better Louie.

The Borgias on Showtime was a show I really enjoyed and was cancelled after three seasons. They didn't even let Neil Jordan film a feature movie to wrap up the story. Shame.
    Travis
  • ksa1001ksa1001 Plano, TX
    DEADWOOD! Completely forgot to include that one.

Been meaning to re-watch, but I know I'll be pissed (again) at the abrupt end.

@trippy I would say Arrested Development doesn't count as it's SUPPOSED to be coming back (again)

FlashGordon
  • @ksa1001  I get the urge to go back and check it out often, but it ends gearing up for such a big stand off that it'll forever frustrate me not seeing that play out. 

It's beyond me how they let this fall into cancellation, it's such a pleasure to watch.
  • TaraC73TaraC73 Manchester NH
    John_Nada said:

So I know this is old but for me it was Jericho. I had to buy the comics just to finish the show out. I really got into the show and hated to see it go.

Did you send peanuts to cbs? I gave $5 to a guy who sent a truckload LOL!! I loved Jericho and was grateful they brought it back just long enough to wrap it up. (Although it would have been much better if it had gone on longer)
  • Deadwood still irks me though, A) because it got canceled for such shitty political reasons & B) even though it got 3 seasons, if only it had a 4th to wrap it up, it'd be up there with BrBa, the Wire et al for me.
    What political reasons? I've read so many different stories about why it didn't get renewed. Which one are you referring to? I always thought it was a pretty simple proposition - it was a very expensive show to make, and the numbers/ratings, frankly, were never that good. It still irks me too because it was one of the best shows ever made, it just never got the ending it deserved.

This timeline of events (from SaveDeadwood.net) is pretty interesting. 
    steph_b
    edited March 2015
    @hypergenesb I'm no expert on the shows cancellation, I've just got the impression from reading stuff, (I'll try dig the links out), but basically that it came down to ego's, personal relationships and bad negotiations between paramount and HBO in the lead up to 2006. 

I wouldn't deny that it was as simple as cost & ratings, but I just remember hearing this stuff in relation to why no conclusion of any shape ever materialised. My impression may well have been  built on conjecture and gossip , but HBO has a reputation of not just cancelling stuff. Like Boardwalk Empire obviously got short changed in the last season but they did the work justice still. 

That Don Logan is definitely more informed .Maybe it's just my bitterness about the show being left hanging and I want to believe it was down to more than money, ratings, schedules & Albrecht , despite it may well having been just that.

Thanks for the link man , interesting. 

edited March 2015

Or maybe it was just this
    TravisEricSheIsGeekyhypergenesbsteph_bA_Ron_HubbardCory
  • Ha! That about says it.
  • How about almost any good show on FOX. RIP Gotham, I just know you will be cut soon.
    Original_Joseph
  • aberry89aberry89 California
    edited March 2015
    I watched Deadwood like three years ago, and I to this day, I have not watched the last episode. It was so fantastic and extremely addictive and as I was watching it i knew it got canceled so when it got down to the end I was really savoring the last episodes. And I kept putting off the last episode week and after week, I liked the idea that I still had something left! Hahah, at this point now, it's been three years, so I can't just pop in the last episode and watch it! I have to do a rewatch, but I am more than excited to! 
    ghm3
  • Re: The original poster's list: I liked Tru Calling, the only other show on the list I saw was Doll House, but I wasn't really a fan.

For me the shows that first come to mind for premature cancellations are Firefly, Rome, Deadwood, and Wonderfalls. 

There are other shows that I liked a lot starting out, but didn't like what it turned into and therefore don't see it as being cancelled early but rather appropriately. Dead Like Me and Carnivale immediately come to mind. I really liked the first season of those shows but they really jumped the shark at some point and kinda deserved their cancellations.
    Travis
  • I think I was most upset about Reaper and Deadwood. Firefly is still pretty tragic, but at least it got a movie, and a really good movie at that.
    Original_Joseph