704 Golden Company Mention *Book spoilers*

edited August 7 in Game of Thrones
Cersei mentions hiring the Golden Company from Essos. I figured the show was mostly done with Essos. What could this mean for future episodes? In the books "Aegon" lands in Westeros with the Golden Company... could they seriously bring this storyline in with only 9 episodes left? Or perhaps the writers are going to link up Daario with the Golden Company and it won't exactly be what Cersei had hoped for. It would be real clever for Daario to preemptively hire a company that is known for never switching sides.

Comments

• LannitikLannitik Milwaukee
    It was just a nod to the book readers. 
    It's not going to come up again IMO. 

• Be careful with book talk, without mentioning it in title (just curtsies). That was my initial thought (Dario may have hired/taken the GC). I haven't finished book 5 yet, but they are prominent for a bit there. It wouldn't surprise me for Dario to work his way over in the stead of GC either.
  • I think that the GC will come to Cersei but I don't think Daario will be with him. I think that they gave Aegons plot to her. With out the son thing obviously.

This thought just can to me what if they are doing the Aegon plot. Varys was the leak, to get Danny to use her dragons and the horse lords in westeros. He knew that Cersei couldn't win and would hire the Golden Company. In comes a young charismatic General that helps fight back the "evil" foreign invaders. That get Varys back to the book plot.
  • MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky
    If they introduce Aegon within the last 9 episodes, I'm rage quitting and never coming back.
    phoenyx1023
  • If they introduce Aegon within the last 9 episodes, I'm rage quitting and never coming back.

I think it's too late in the game to be doing this.  I know I'll be annoyed if they do it.  If they were planning on it, then the time would have been towards the end of last season I'd say or maybe the season before.
  • davemcbdavemcb Melbourne
    I agree no point rage quitting now its too late for that. Faegon might be important GRRM's world if he gets introduced now you know he is important to the end of the books. It would be crazy to think in closing out the show they introduce a major character now but with Dorne and the Stormlands without great families they could be for the taking. Ultimately i think efficiency has arrived and its rolled in with Dany and the mention was a nod
  • MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky
    Yeah, I'm kidding myself if I think I'd actually quit. Hell, I'm still hanging on to The Walking Dead and that is essentially just cause of Bald Move. I just don't see Aegon happening in the show.
  • I think if the end game was the Iron throne it wouldn't be too late to introduce Aegon. There is 9 eps. The last six maybe 1-1/2 to 2 hrs long that's 9 to 12hrs next season plus at least 4 hrs this season. The problem is that the WW are the end game not the iron throne.
  • i don't think faegon is gonna show up.  it's not impossible--euron was hardly a character until suddenly he's the secondary villain--but they seem to be actively shrinking the scope of the show, and faegon is also a relatively deep dive into the lore, i'm not sure how aware the casual show viewer is of what all happened during the sacking of king's landing or who rhaegar was other than a targaryan and jon's babydaddy.  there were numerous references to the murders of the two targaryan babies in the book but unless i'm misremembering (always possible) it's hardly been mentioned in the show?  i always kind of hoped he would be an important player in the books because it was so far out of left field, but i also suspected he wouldn't for the same narrative reasons it doesn't make a lot of sense to introduce him now in the show:  the players are already long established.
  • voodoorat said:

i don't think faegon is gonna show up.  it's not impossible--euron was hardly a character until suddenly he's the secondary villain--but they seem to be actively shrinking the scope of the show, and faegon is also a relatively deep dive into the lore, i'm not sure how aware the casual show viewer is of what all happened during the sacking of king's landing or who rhaegar was other than a targaryan and jon's babydaddy.  there were numerous references to the murders of the two targaryan babies in the book but unless i'm misremembering (always possible) it's hardly been mentioned in the show?  i always kind of hoped he would be an important player in the books because it was so far out of left field, but i also suspected he wouldn't for the same narrative reasons it doesn't make a lot of sense to introduce him now in the show:  the players are already long established.

I think it's been mentioned on the show plenty but it was just so long ago that I wonder how many people would remember.  In season 1, when Maester Aemon reveals to Jon who he really is, he specifically mentions how he was disturbed that the children were murdered.  Oberyn Martell's whole motive for revenge was based on that his sister and her children were murdered.  So, it's not too far fetched to bring Faegon into the show but it just seems very late into the game to introduce this character and at what cost.  I mean, the realm is going to have to deal with the WWs so do we really want to spend time away from that and focus on Faegon (especially when most people don't think he is who he says he is)? 
  • Here is my crackpot/tinfoil hat theory. I agree that it is too late to introduce Aegon. Not enough time to introduce a brand new character. However, what if they reintroduce an old one. Say, someone who went sailing away four seasons ago. That's right, Gendry is back. Only this time, he was the one that has taken over the Golden Company. Learns the ins and outs of being a Merc and ascends to leadership. Then he comes back (with Melisandra in tow) to make claim on the iron throne. Obviously it'll be difficult with so little time left. But what if he teams up with Dany and Jon, they take out Cersei and he offers his Company to fight the Night King to Dany in return for a marriage. Leading to some tension between Jon and him while they fight in the north. Just a crazy idea
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    edited August 9
    Edit - deleted. Wrong thread
  • Ahmed_R said:

Here is my crackpot/tinfoil hat theory. I agree that it is too late to introduce Aegon. Not enough time to introduce a brand new character. However, what if they reintroduce an old one. Say, someone who went sailing away four seasons ago. That's right, Gendry is back. Only this time, he was the one that has taken over the Golden Company. Learns the ins and outs of being a Merc and ascends to leadership. Then he comes back (with Melisandra in tow) to make claim on the iron throne. Obviously it'll be difficult with so little time left. But what if he teams up with Dany and Jon, they take out Cersei and he offers his Company to fight the Night King to Dany in return for a marriage. Leading to some tension between Jon and him while they fight in the north. Just a crazy idea

Interesting theory, but one small concern.  The last time Gendry saw Mellisandre, she was leeaching him up to take his blood.  So I don't think he'd be so willing to team up with her again.  But other than that, Gendry being the leader or in the Golden Company would be an interesting twist to bring him back into things.
  • LittleLionessLittleLioness Pennsylvania
    edited August 9

• @LittleLioness u need to fix that. The only place you should talk about leak is in threads about leaks. You just spoiled me on that.
  • LittleLionessLittleLioness Pennsylvania

@LittleLioness u need to fix that. The only place you should talk about leak is in threads about leaks. You just spoiled me on that.

Sorry, I thought someone else up thread already mentioned it.
  • They brought him up, but not the leak part