Stop Shipping Jon and Dany

akritenbrinkakritenbrink Lynnwood, WA (Seattle area)
edited August 7 in Game of Thrones
Just stop it, people!
MichelleElisa
Be a human, not a machine.

Angie Kritenbrink
akritenbrink on most social media

Comments

• I've got a new theory:

J + D = Perfect Couple
    MichelleKingKobraNoelElisa
  • akritenbrinkakritenbrink Lynnwood, WA (Seattle area)

I've got a new theory:

J + D = Perfect Couple
    NOPE

Angie Kritenbrink

• DeeDee Adelaide
    I'm shipping Jon and the Onion Knight.
    akritenbrinkTravis
    Dee said:

I'm shipping Jon and the Onion Knight.

This works
    Dee

Angie Kritenbrink

• Sorry, this won't stop can't stop. Fire and Ice 44444EEEEEEVVVVEEERRRRRRR
    Elisa
  • Maybe Jaime can give her some advice on the perils of fucking your relatives.
    TravisakritenbrinkNoelElisa
  • sorry but it suuuuure looks like the show's going that direction right now...  dany sure is acting like she wants a snowcone.
    Jovial_FalconElisa
  • CoryCory New Scotland
    I think I'll start shipping it now.
    That'll put marzipan in your pie plate, bingo!
  • Vasilnate1Vasilnate1 Salem, MA
    TravisbizmarkiefaderdarwinfeeshyCoryElisaLittleLionessrhcoop
    "because everything would be what it isn't"
  • In the real world, you can't marry siblings or Parent child. Is there a law against cousins or aunts/uncle and niece/nephew?

• TravisTravis CA
    edited August 7
    I think that, one level of separation is always illegal. In some states, as the greatest Cousin Fucking Musician we have known Jerry Lee Lewis has taught us, you can marry your second cousin (his cousin's daughter).

EDIT: God, I just found out that she was 13 to boot. That dude... fuck man. That's so wrong. The cousin thing, hey man however you want to live your life, but jesus... I didn't know that part of it.

I really want a Grizzly Bear sidekick, but Daniel Rossen won't return my phone calls.

• WarpFoxWarpFox Nashville, TN
    I'm with A.Ron. In the instant cast for 704 he speculated that the comments made by Davos, Dany's teasing of Missandei, and the composition of the cave scene between Jon and Dany, are all meant to bait the viewer, or at least to lampshade some of the theorycrafting going on. I highly doubt that any of this will come to fruition, and more to A.Ron's point, is probably setting us all up for an inevitable gut-punch.
  • Why shouldn't we ship Jon and Dany? I agree an Aunt getting with a Nephew would be super weird, but that's if they knew each other their whole lives and had an Aunt/Nephew relationship. They're around the same age, have no idea they are related, and just met each other; to me that takes all of the weirdness out of it. 

Thought experiment time! Imagine your mother or father was adopted and you know nothing about their biological family. You fall in love with someone and get married, only to find out years later that the person is your uncle/aunt by blood. Would you get a divorce?
    Elisa
  • EMAW42 said:

Why shouldn't we ship Jon and Dany? I agree an Aunt getting with a Nephew would be super weird, but that's if they knew each other their whole lives and had an Aunt/Nephew relationship. They're around the same age, have no idea they are related, and just met each other; to me that takes all of the weirdness out of it. 

Thought experiment time! Imagine your mother or father was adopted and you know nothing about their biological family. You fall in love with someone and get married, only to find out years later that the person is your uncle/aunt by blood. Would you get a divorce?

Have you seen the movie Old Boy. They have a Korean and American ver.
  • @webswinger Yeah I have seen Old Boy, great reference and applicable here. I think that whole situation was far more messed up though. He had raised her for years and he got hypnotized to forget her, and then was made to remember after they hooked up. 
    Well, 

1) She is his aunt. And even though incest is a thing on this show, these are supposed to be good guys and all the incest people are bad guys. And also- These are the new generation and I can't see them going that way.

But maybe even more importantly, 2) Relationships are not the #1 goal for all the women (or anyone) on this show like it is on a lot of "historical" shows, and I like that. They've shown some of the politics around marriage in terms of Cersei and Sansa, and the politics about who you can't marry in terms of Shae and Ellaria Sand, but there are lots of women on the show for whom marriage is not an issue at all, like Brienne and Arya, and there are women like Dany who have been married, and had lovers, but that was never going to be the endgame for her. Same with Jon. I want to see them form an alliance out of politics, maybe even genuine friendship and family love, but not romance.
    treerocks

Angie Kritenbrink

• @akritenbrink D&J and get married for political reasons, and fall in love just like Ned and Cat. I don't think that both will survive the end so it can be a bitter end. Danny has had relationships but has she really chose someone for love? It's not the end game for her or John but if they fall fir each other then it would be her choice. She didn't choose Khal Drago, she picked Daario as a fuc boi, she can actually choose who she marries.
    NoelElisa
  • That only works when THEY know they are related. If they never find out well, it's our "god view" knowledge.
    Jovial_Falcon

@akritenbrink D&J and get married for political reasons, and fall in love just like Ned and Cat. I don't think that both will survive the end so it can be a bitter end. Danny has had relationships but has she really chose someone for love? It's not the end game for her or John but if they fall fir each other then it would be her choice. She didn't choose Khal Drago, she picked Daario as a fuc boi, she can actually choose who she marries.

She didn't choose Khal Drogo but she did eventually love him.

I'm not saying she never gets married, but I just don't think marriage is the end game for her.

Angie Kritenbrink

• @akritenbrink D&J and get married for political reasons, and fall in love just like Ned and Cat. I don't think that both will survive the end so it can be a bitter end. Danny has had relationships but has she really chose someone for love? It's not the end game for her or John but if they fall fir each other then it would be her choice. She didn't choose Khal Drago, she picked Daario as a fuc boi, she can actually choose who she marries.

I'm not saying she never gets married, but I just don't think marriage is the end game for her.
    You're acting like if Jon and Danny get married that would be the shippers "end game". Not at all....it's just a union of two of the "good side" that would be a force to reckon with.
  • webswinger SoCal
    edited August 7
    I would be upset if it the end game too. I don't think that if her and Jon marry then she becomes a secondary character. Then she would just have been a plot device to get Jon dragons.
    akritenbrink
    KingKobra said:

@akritenbrink D&J and get married for political reasons, and fall in love just like Ned and Cat. I don't think that both will survive the end so it can be a bitter end. Danny has had relationships but has she really chose someone for love? It's not the end game for her or John but if they fall fir each other then it would be her choice. She didn't choose Khal Drago, she picked Daario as a fuc boi, she can actually choose who she marries.

You're acting like if Jon and Danny get married that would be the shippers "end game". Not at all....it's just a union of two of the "good side" that would be a force to reckon with.
    They can be a force to be reckoned with without being married. :) 

Angie Kritenbrink

• I've said it before and I'll say it again...

Jon does not need to bend the knee if they're married
    Dany binned Daario so that she would be free for a political marriage
    She's courted politically before

Targaryenbowl people
    KingKobraJaimieTElisa
    Yeah? Well, y'know... that's just like uh... your opinion, man.
  • Is it at all possible that the two of them could have a relationship with mutual respect and advancement where she does not become a secondary character or a vehicle to get Jon a dragon?

I guess its my point about Arya still being able to be a kickass assassin even if she turns out a beauty like Lyanna:  Dany can be in a relationship without it eclipsing who she is.  She is that amazing.  A strong woman can be with a good man and not have it make her lesser.

I don't think it will happen.  Its too perfect.  But if it did, they would make each other better, they would be greater than the sum of their parts.

Not every female character needs to have a romantic subplot, frankly I would love going the entire series with Arya never having a relationship.  Brienne too.  

I'm not trying to attack here, I'm really not, but its almost like people feel like Dany has to be with someone unworthy (Daario) or else they will make her character less than who she is.  If she was paired up with someone capable and worthy, she would become redundant or it would lessen her character.  Dany is strong enough, her character is capable enough, she can be paired with someone else who is great, and it will not make her a secondary character.
    ElisaLittleLioness
    I'm not worried about her being a secondary character, personally. And I don't think political marriage is beneath her.  I just don't want this storyline to go that way. I WILL FIGHT TO THE DEATH ON THIS LOL

Angie Kritenbrink

• And that is a valid desire.  I'm just saying, the trope is the woman gets a man who she hides behind and he manages the resources she gathered and saves them all.

It would be awesome if Dany and Jon become the ultimate power couple.  With mutual respect and strong beliefs that they challenge each other with.  How about a queen and king who can have opposing opinions that influence them both to make better decisions?  Jon's chat with Dany led her to sacking the Lannister army instead of taking the Red Keep.  That was a better response with a more tempered reaction.  Jon didn't tell her to do it, he gave her advice and she came to her own conclusions and adjusted her battle plan.  In this one episode Jon made Dany a better person than she was about to be.  But he did not make her less of who she was going to be.  She rode her own damn dragon to war, leading her own army and destroyed her own enemies.  

Damn, but those are the makings of a healthy relationship right there.  I would love to see a relationship on TV where a man and woman function as two adults who make each other better.

But it won't happen, its being pushed too hard.  One of them dies (for keeps) this season.  No spoiler knowledge, just my own scarred heart whispering "remember Ned.... remember Ned..."
    ElisaLittleLioness
  • All the ChickensAll the Chickens Birmingham, AL
    Cant wait until Jon and Dany GET IT ON.... because It's happening yall. This isnt a misdirection by D&D
    TravisNoelKingKobraElisa
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    Oh it's so happening though.  When he grabbed her wrist and guided her to the next cave drawing.  And those 2 steps she took closer to him...

Brown Chicken Brown Cow.  Only a matter of time.  

When I ship you ship we ship!

weeniegirlFrakkin TElisaLittleLioness
  • All the ChickensAll the Chickens Birmingham, AL
    edited August 7
    And I dont really view the same age aunt-nephew incest dynamic being nearly as awkward or all that bad in their universe, since they have grown up as complete strangers.

There have been real studies in out world that show that growing up and being around eachother is what makes family members not attracted to eachother. It's not something engrained into our DNA. That's why Jon and Dany can be a thing while Jon and his biological cousin Sansa would be WAY WAY WAY creepier, even if he found out Dany is his aunt. That's his sister no matter what the birth certificate says.

That said, even if she was your age and you were strangers, finding out you had sex with your biological aunt/nephew would be super embarrassing in our society.
    MelonuskElisa
  • NoelNoel Dallas, TX
    Jonerys 4 ever <3
    TravisElisa