Interstellar

So I checked out this out last night, it's pretty epic, I imagine a lot of Baldies would like it too. I'd also assume it would be right up Jim &A.Rons Strasse . If you like high concept Sci-Fi it's really worth checking out.

Potentially a hole or two in the plot, but overall a pretty strong story and one hell of a cinematic experience.

Comments

• Is this the old or new definition of "high concept"? lol
  • @DamagingOstrich‌ Ha Dam! I can't believe i fell into that one,I'm misusing the term... I'll probably continue doing so
  • I just saw this last night. If you are a fan of physics and astronomy there was definitely a lot to geek out over. I think good TV has ruined me, however, in terms of how much tolerance I have for long ass movies. They probably could have trimmed some fat and still had a good story.
  • broompersonbroomperson the Iron Islands
    It was a good movie, but it wasnt even close to my favorite Mcconaughey role. Or even top 5. It did have all the cool space CGI and the cool science stuff which was neat but, I liked Inception and Dicaprios performance a lot more.
  • @broomperson‌ @Josh‌ Yeh I agree with both of you, the character building with Mcconaughey & Daugheter felt a bit forced , however there were some OK moments based on that relationship, they could have trimmed there with out doing much damage. I read a review saying how this kinda shows the difference between what you can do with 8 hours of true detective& character development compared to this , but overall that side of it wasnt bad and the Sci Fi/ Space/ Physics stuff was so well done IMO that the film is great.

In case J&A don't dont anything on it, this is a good podcast, a good movie podcast in general actually

http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=42726
  • I'm going to go watch this again this week anyway, see how I feel after that but mcconaughey did a good enough as lead man in this & Hans Zimmer going nuts on a nuts on an organ as space ships fly through worm holes is more than a good enough reason to see it
    Holy shit Hans Zimmer really did going banana sandwich on the organ and I actually really liked it. I just don't think it was the type of movie where Mcconaughey gets to really show off his Mcconaughey style you know what I mean? Unlike True Detective, Buyers Club, Mud, etc... @flashgordon
  • ReelHeadReelHead Bochum, Germany
    Ugh, "Interstellar" is just one of these movies that are really hard to judge by normal standards. While I think that the visuals and the overall style is just breath-taking and sets new limits, I think that the script and the editing are just not so great. The way, the movie, handles the characters is very troubling and leaves them rather pointless and over-explanatory. Would give it 7/10 on a general movie scale.

When I think about Christopher Nolan, I picture this secluded domino architect, who puts hours over hours in one gigantic project, but in a way that feels rather mechanic and is more beautiful to look at, than to interpret in a very compelling way. Yeah, he tackles a lot of heavy metaphors, but he is pointing out, that he is tackling them in a way that seems (at least to me) to scream: "HEY, LOOK!"
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    Me and Jim just saw it in IMAX this afternoon. It's very interesting. I'm having trouble reasoning how future humans could save their past selves from extinction. Also, what the fuck was wrong with the earth? If the atmosphere had too much nitrogen in it, that seems like a much less serious problem to solve than going through wormholes and fucking about with space and time to relocate all of humanity in massive colony stations. Other than that, it was a very fine hardish sci-fi movie. I was pleasantly surprised to see them circumvent the "killer robot" trope, and they were 1/2 on subverting the "space madness" trope.

I'd never have the balls to make this kind of movie, that depends so much on an in depth grounding in science and so willing to hand wave and distract around where the real stuff ends and the makebelieve begins.
  • FreddyFreddy Denton, Texas
    It's one of those movies that I need to see again, and then watch one more time in about a year. Until then I can't say whether or not I love it. I do like that it tackles so many sci-fi sub-genres in one sitting, and if nothing else the fact that it isn't an adaptation from another medium is quite impressive.
  • So i went to see this again tonight, I'll let it process again overnight, there is so much about this movie I love..BUT at the same time Nolan hit's some wrong notes throughout. I'm afraid to say it didn't stand AS strong on a second viewing but it's still impressive. One of my big problems i guess is the switching between earth & space, it might just be me but it removed me from being immerced in the space story line, I like some of the earth scenes & it work well as narrative tool to mirror what's happening in space, it still bugs me overall the disconnect through trying to make a connection.

In it's favour it's still mangages to digest complex physics into "plan A, plan B, " & here's a worm hole shown as a piece of paper so it doesn't lose you, but my mate said tonight the moment Coop goes through the black hole, you're just a bit like 'i kind of get it, but what the fuck is actually going on', the 5D space book case things wasn't ridiculous , but i didn't love it either.

My other buddy who has seen it twice like me and inhaled all media out there on it, is mad obsessed still and he made some good points that are in the best reviews, i.e Nolan always making films about dishonesty/corruption in humanity, Dr Mann = Man- the best of us- the downfall of man etc...

So yeh basically like i first thought, really good film with a few big plot holes
  • FlashGordonFlashGordon Leeds, UK
    edited December 2014
    Major Spoilers below

I did a little further reading the, plot hole where we ask who creates the wormhole from the future is actually pretty well explained by this chart, it's not perfect but it clears up that thing anyway
  • ElisaElisa Los Angeles
    Wow omg would never have got this - even if I watched it 10 times. Thanks.
    that chart just broke my brain
  • To be fair it's pretty easy to reduce down with one extra scene - Which i don't think would have worked thematically ,but if they basically had a scene on the Brand Colony where they demonstrated some kind of gravity/wormhole future research.

In terms of the real science with it, Nolan basically had this Kip Thorne guy on board he's a top theoretical physicist, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kip_Thorne. If it was theoretically possible, it was in the movie, there's no way a human could pass through a black hole etc..

For any Neil deGrasse fan another awesome astrophysicist, has a fantastic 20 minute piece on Interstellar
    I disagree. The whole "humans survive to evolve into fifth dimensional beings" can't happen unless the fifth dimensional beings send a wormhole back to cooper's day around Saturn, which couldn't happen unless we survived to create the wormhole, which we didn't.

I mean, you can get around the "Bootstrap Paradox" by hand waving to fifth dimensional beings, but even after reading it for a few hours, I can't wrap my head around how this doesn't violate causality. Like, I get it, fifth dimension beings don't view time like we do, etc, etc, but they still have to have a starting place. If they die on the 21st century earth, they don't get to make that leap. If they did survive, they don't have to do anything special to save us.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bootstrap_paradox
  • ElisaElisa Los Angeles
    Thanks for sharing - great video and I can't wait to listen to his podcast. I subscribed yesterday. I adore the original Planet of the Apes movies too. :blush:
  • I know where you're coming from A.Ron but the 'boot strap paradox' is SUCH a common trope , because narratively it packs a strong punch. Looper, 12 Monkeys and Terminator all toyed with this aswell, it's either this option, aliens or parallel universe.

It absolutely does break causality and it ultimately doesn't make sense, but because it's a great move i allow it to get away with that. The chart connects the intended dots of the story, but i guess it doesnt actually show how a worm hole is created in the first instance
  • @Elisa‌ you won't regret it everyone loves NgT, I need to see Planet of the apes again i really loved it first watch a month or so ago
  • So, I loved this film. I do not get the complaints for "plot holes". As usual, a lot of people seem to love to hate Nolan.
    As far as the technical discussion goes, I find it hard to wrap myself around some of the issues as well, but suppose being a three dimensional being has something to do with it. Great book out there now by Kip Thorne that explains most questions you may have on the film.
  • ReelHeadReelHead Bochum, Germany
    edited December 2014
    @walkthesky - It is not about hating Nolan! I genuinely love "The Prestige" and really like "Memento", but Christopher Nolan, as a film maker, has some flaws (like every other film maker), that either make or break a movie imo. His need to explain a lot of stuff in his movies, is one of the flaws. While I think that "Interstellar" is showcasing the worst of his storytelling, I think that it also shows some of his best visuals to date.
    One thing I've been kicking around, is that maybe the 5th dimensional beings in the movie aren't human. That was Cooper's interpretation, but there is no hard evidence to back that up. They could just be an intergalactic preservation society.
  • ElisaElisa Los Angeles
    Hmmm I thought Nolan was trying to provide a humanistic approach to rebuilding civilization (since Earth was destroyed). I thought the 5th dimension beings were human from those embryos.
  • ArctorArctor The Netherlands
    @Elisa, nah they ultimately didn't have to use the 'plan B' embryos because Murphy solved the time quantum problem with Cooper's help... That's not to say that other lady doctor wasn't working on setting up the 'plan B' lab all on her own, but it can be assumed Cooper visits her to pick her up after watching Murphy die.
  • FreddyFreddy Denton, Texas
    From what I understood they did use the embryos, and those led to the 5th dimension beings, which led to them going back and not having to use the embryos. The willingness to save the species by any means necessary ultimately allowed for the current generation (McCaunihey's kids) to survive.
    The problem with all of these speculations for me is, they make it clear that the fifth dimensional beings opened up the wormhole around Saturn. That wormhole is what allowed for "Plan B" in the first place. Plan B needs the wormhole to work. The fifth dimensional humans need Plan B to work to send the wormhole. That's why it's a paradox.

It could be that humans found some other way to survive; maybe it was a meager Matrix-like existence below ground for centuries, then made it to the stars on their own, the evolved into 5D beings, then got feeling sorry for their fore bearers so decided to go back and help them, and now as 5D beings that are outside our understanding of time and space they could do so confident that they weren't going to create a paradox that ended up destroying themselves... but all that ain't in the movie.

I guess I'm fine with it being a paradox, it's just frustrating because a lot of Nolan movies look unsolvable, but there are clear answers to them, and they reward digging into. This movie feels like it needs a breakthrough in physics to understand, haha.
  • null
    Actually he's usualky criticized for not explaining everything. Then, as soon as he does, his work is labeled with extra exposition. Believe me no director is perfect. But he is quite unique and intriguing.
  • walktheskywalkthesky New York
    edited December 2014
    As far as the wormhole goes A.Ron, I think were supposed to believe that humans in some way did evolve. They did in a way outside of coopers storyline. They evolved and survived another way. Perhaps they did at the cost of a lot of life on earth. Once they had the ability to open a wormhole, they had a chance to alter the timeline in the 5th and maybe save more humans. That's my perception though. To add to confusion (sorry), do you think they left the wormhole out there 50 years prior to give them time to study? Must be a reason for why they left it there at that time...
  • A.Ron
    Sorry I should of read your entire post. Seems you came to that conclusion. If so, I think it works around the paradox, no?