Post-leak/Post-Books Podcast

I don't think we can trust this podcast anymore with their predictions. Even just in the main re-cap they have poignant insightful predictions like they've never had before. Too much of they're "I think..." sounds like they've heavily coached themselves on Reddit, which of course is compromised with leaks or ideas based on leaks.  

Comments

• It's such a shame these leaks happened. It coinciding with the lack of source material has made it difficult for those that are aficionados in their GoT based programs.
  • The show has to be affected by the leaks. But which is more important? Not listening to Bald Move GoT or getting possibly exposed to ideas based on leaks?
  • TravisTravis CA
    edited August 8
    I hear you, but for my money it just comes down to this. If you listen to theories and just take them as potential theories (J&A have promised that they will do everything in their power, including having Cecily review spoiler e-mails against the production leaks) then it's all speculative. It's like before when you didn't know whether the theories would come to fruition or not and they were just fun ideas floating around. Sure, it's possible that someone threads a theory based on production spoilers and it gets through, but because I don't know for sure one way or the other it doesn't bother me at least. Your perspective seems different, but as much as they will try to protect the cast from that sort of intrusion, sure something could potentially sneak through (if the e-mailer is crafty enough/a big enough jerk). I guess it just comes down to whether it's worth it to you or not to have the podcast, and that's an honest question (not being defensive of them or anything). It's just a question that you have to ask yourself. Is being able to listen to the podcast worth the risk? For me, it's a definite yes, but that may not be the case for you.

For my money, I take all the spoilore stuff as being speculative anyway and as much as I don't at all want to know the concrete spoiler stuff I'm not terribly spoiler-phobic. You just have to find your threshold. I more than trust them to their word when they say they're doing/going to continue to do everything in their power to shield us from the leaked stuff though. It just comes down to a personal decision.
    Elisa

• For my money, I take all the spoilore stuff as being speculative anyway and as much as I don't at all want to know the concrete spoiler stuff I'm not terribly spoiler-phobic. You just have to find your threshold. I more than trust them to their word when they say they're doing/going to continue to do everything in their power to shield us from the leaked stuff though. It just comes down to a personal decision.
    I think the key word is: COMPROMISED. I have a lot of faith that they would do their best to remove most theories they KNOW to be a spoiler. But it comes down to, like, when a leak spoiler is close enough to an idea they think would be a real theory WITHOUT the leak they would have to consider it for being included in the show.
  • TravisTravis CA
    edited August 8
    That's what I'm talking about though. There is that risk, they're doing and going to do their best, but there is that risk. It just comes down to whether you're willing to take that risk or not. Like I said, it's easier for me because I just look at all of that as speculative and just enjoy the theories for what they're worth, but we might be different in that way. It just comes down to whether it's worth it to you or not. I know from other threads that you know that Cecily has seen the leaks and is trying to pick out ones that "fly too close to the sun" but something might sneak through. It's just the risk that you take if you listen to the cast in this world of internet jerks.

Just to note because this whole thing just sucks: anyone who would intentionally craft e-mails to pretend that they hadn't seen production spoilers when they had just to pretend score some arbitrary internet points is a complete asshole and needs to get a life (and I do know that those people exist). 
    Elisafunktownrockphoenyx1023
  • LukeLuke Central Illinois
    I guess as someone who read the books along time ago I'm just not phased by even leaked predictions.

I have read literally every damn theory about who Arya was going to kill, who's face she had, who Euron really is, who Dario is, who is the prince that was promised.

One of the many theory's had to be right. Leaks or no.
    ElisaTravisakritenbrink
  • akritenbrinkakritenbrink Lynnwood, WA (Seattle area)
    I'm not sure we can trust @bsx4313 any more... they joined three days ago and have posted nothing but negative posts... ;) 
    Zsa004MurderbearVasilnate1webswingerphoenyx1023kojiattwood
  • Please note that this series has technically always been in spoiler territory and it hasn't been an issue.

Saying we can't "trust" the podcast because of external leaks is silly.
    MurderbearElisaTravisphoenyx1023akritenbrink
  • MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky
    The thing is, all these pieces have been coming together for a very long time. I'm not saying I know at all what will happen but really, there are only SO many things that can happen. And what if someone correctly and genuinely guesses something with zero leaked knowledge, and then it happens, are you really going to be pissed? Jim and A.Ron are trying to stay as Unsullied as possible. This is the nature of TV podcasts. I wish the leaks didn't happen either, but, here we are.
    ElisaTravisphoenyx1023
  • Vasilnate1Vasilnate1 Salem, MA

I'm not sure we can trust @bsx4313 any more... they joined three days ago and have posted nothing but negative posts... ;) 

and when they post they use the term "we" like everyone agrees, and then speaks condescendingly of Jim, A-Ron, and Cecily's study patterns and screening ability.  A-Ron told us he wouldnt visit Reddit during the season, Jim I dont think ever goes to Reddit, and I think Cecily is competent enough keep A-Ron safe from major spoilers but also allow some speculative ideas through.  I for one am Tired of the negative viewpoint, It's clear they are looking for a reason not to listen. So they shouldn't
    ElisaTraviswebswingerphoenyx1023akritenbrink
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    To be honest, there is no podcast or online community where you can 100 guarantee you're not going to be slightly spoiled this season. If being 100 percent pure is important to you, avoid it all until after the season.

Only you can decide how seriously you take this stuff. It's a damn shame though. Wish the leaks had never happened. I've essentially stopped reading any speculation at this point. But I've probably seen enough to change the way I think about things. Even avoiding leaks changes you because there are weird black holes of unexplored territory you become aware of.

We're committed to trying to be spoiler free, but that's like saying there's only a 5 percent chance we can spoil you. Or maybe 10. Or maybe we'll organically come up with something that is close to the leaks, because that's how storytelling works. Some people say podcasts ruined Westworld. What are you going to do?
    TraviswebswingerKingKobrajtmy92MKF4Jovial_FalconVasilnate1
  • Hell, I could open my facebook or twitter tomorrow to check in on that, and there could be a post that spoils something huge just from a headline. Not the same, but I watched the Justified finale a day late and had to basically cut the cord for the day because I didn't want to see anything. It sucks here since we're talking about weeks and not days, but ultimately @A_Ron_Hubbard's right. Aside from cutting off social media and podcasts there won't be any guarantees. It's a total shame, but you've got to do your own internal calculations and act accordingly.
  • edited August 9

But I've probably seen enough to change the way I think about things. Even avoiding leaks changes you because there are weird black holes of unexplored territory you become aware of. 

Well said A_Ron_Hubbard. I would never criticize you or Jim's attempts to be spoiler free but my point is that it's impossible that the predictions haven't been affected. I have had to avoid my normal deep diving this season because of the leaks, which you are correct in describing the "black holes".

Can we get Cecily on the show to just say " ah ah ahh" every time you start to encroach on spoiler territory? lol
  • bsx4313 said:

But I've probably seen enough to change the way I think about things. Even avoiding leaks changes you because there are weird black holes of unexplored territory you become aware of. 

Well said A_Ron_Hubbard. I would never criticize you or Jim's attempts to be spoiler free but my point is that it's impossible that the predictions haven't been affected. I have had to avoid my normal deep diving this season because of the leaks, which you are correct in describing the "black holes".

Can we get Cecily on the show to just say " ah ah ahh" every time you start to encroach on spoiler territory? lol
    Not ah ah ahh, but that's mildly interesting
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    The only reason mildly interesting worked is because I said it to everything. If Cecily said Ah ah ah only when we got to spoiler territory the jig would be up.
    MurderbearKingKobraakritenbrinkVasilnate1bsx4313
    Travis said:

Hell, I could open my facebook or twitter tomorrow to check in on that, and there could be a post that spoils something huge just from a headline. Not the same, but I watched the Justified finale a day late and had to basically cut the cord for the day because I didn't want to see anything. It sucks here since we're talking about weeks and not days, but ultimately @A_Ron_Hubbard's right. Aside from cutting off social media and podcasts there won't be any guarantees. It's a total shame, but you've got to do your own internal calculations and act accordingly.

With GoT, if you live on the West coast and want to watch it when HBO plays it (and not on the app, which doesn't always have the same quality), you have to basically go offline from 6-after because all the big sites like Vanity Fair post very spoilery articles like 1 minute after the show ends. So I just enjoy my social-media-free evenings on Sunday nights now haha
    Travis
    I trust enough that the Bald Move guys aren't going to spoil anything on purpose, and if some speculation happens that happens to end up being true, it wouldn't be the first time. I'm just avoiding looking for them or looking on places where people might be sharing them.
    TravisRose
  • Travis said:

Hell, I could open my facebook or twitter tomorrow to check in on that, and there could be a post that spoils something huge just from a headline. Not the same, but I watched the Justified finale a day late and had to basically cut the cord for the day because I didn't want to see anything. It sucks here since we're talking about weeks and not days, but ultimately @A_Ron_Hubbard's right. Aside from cutting off social media and podcasts there won't be any guarantees. It's a total shame, but you've got to do your own internal calculations and act accordingly.

With GoT, if you live on the West coast and want to watch it when HBO plays it (and not on the app, which doesn't always have the same quality), you have to basically go offline from 6-after because all the big sites like Vanity Fair post very spoilery articles like 1 minute after the show ends. So I just enjoy my social-media-free evenings on Sunday nights now haha
    Yeah, I typically watch first thing Monday morning (I get up at 5 and knock it down before my morning routine), but luckily I never really do any internet-ing on the weekend anyway so it's not really an issue. Kind of sucks that they do that though. I get it, gotta feed the beast immediately and all, but it kind of sucks all the same.
    akritenbrink
    Travis said:

Travis said:

Yeah, I typically watch first thing Monday morning (I get up at 5 and knock it down before my morning routine), but luckily I never really do any internet-ing on the weekend anyway so it's not really an issue. Kind of sucks that they do that though. I get it, gotta feed the beast immediately and all, but it kind of sucks all the same.
    5 AM? That's one way to wake up on Monday morning haha
    Travis
  • Travis said:

Travis said:

5 AM? That's one way to wake up on Monday morning haha
    Yeah, I leave for work at 7:45 and I've got dog walking and other morning stuff. My wife isn't into the GoT thing and even though she says it's fine I feel like kind of a dick ending the weekend by splitting off to watch it. It works though, I'm always in a pretty good mood on Monday morning during GoT season and the instant pod is waiting for me as soon as the episode ends.
    akritenbrinkKingKobra
  • I think the web sleuthing on Westworld did diminish my viewing of the show, but getting to watch an awesome show and engage in the community was ultimately a net positive.

And Game of Thrones is kind of a different animal at this point. I can't see there being any season long twists that are built up (with in-show evidence) at this point. Like for instance if Bran being marked brought down the wall. Well okay, that's been suggested a lot, but that's all based on one fairly obvious previous incident. If that happens I don't think I would feel spoiled (disregarding its story quality).
    Travis
  • I've read all the leaks for the season, It enhanses my experience watching HBO GOT, because I can pay attention to the characters development, the visuals etc. I listen to Baldmove because their reactions and interpretations enhance the HBO GOT experience. So do the forums, interpretation is just as important to me as the story and that doesn't change even if I know the storyline. For example, Bran and Sansa's reunion, I knew it was going to happen, but I had no idea it would go down the way it did! And whether you knew about the reunion beforehand or not, everyone had the same reaction, being "WTF!" And I loved hearing Aron voice that in the instant take, I got a lot of insight into what might be behind Bran's behavior both in the forum and in the recap.

My point is a) nobody knows everything, there are still surprises and unanswered questions, b) Baldmove is entertaining and I still learn things from backstory I was unaware of and/or a different perspective I hadn't thought of. These things really haven't changed in my opinion since the links.
    ElisaTravis
  • The only reason mildly interesting worked is because I said it to everything. If Cecily said Ah ah ah only when we got to spoiler territory the jig would be up.

I agree, so she'll say "mildly interesting". I look forward to seeing her on the show!!
  • bsx4313 said:

The only reason mildly interesting worked is because I said it to everything. If Cecily said Ah ah ah only when we got to spoiler territory the jig would be up.

I agree, so she'll say "mildly interesting". I look forward to seeing her on the show!!
    Heh, you know your wish can't be fulfilled right? They've discussed having Cecily on the show.
    Elisa
    You seem obsessed with getting Cecily on the show. Wait a second, are you ACTUALLY Cecily trying to sneak your way onto the show???
    KingKobrajtmy92bsx4313TravisRose

You seem obsessed with getting Cecily on the show. Wait a second, are you ACTUALLY Cecily trying to sneak your way onto the show???

Cecily is a breathe of fresh air. It also seems like she is the unseen partner in the current GoT podcast production. Plus I think now that book resources have run dry, the non-leak subjective comments on the show should be more prominent. Plus she's much cuter than Jim, so that ain't bad.
  • bsx4313 said:

Cecily is a breathe of fresh air. It also seems like she is the unseen partner in the current GoT podcast production. Plus I think now that book resources have run dry, the non-leak subjective comments on the show should be more prominent. Plus she's much cuter than Jim, so that ain't bad.
    It's that dirty thing called work that gets in the way of her participation;)
  • KingKobra said:

bsx4313 said:

It's that dirty thing called work that gets in the way of her participation;)
    I know, that's the reason she hasn't been on.....yet.;)
    I'm telling you guys, this is going to end in an unmasking and it's either going to be Cecily or her agent. Ha! "And I would have gotten away with it too if it weren't for you meddling fans!"
    TravisKingKobra