How did Jaime wind up sinking into a crushing black abyss?

Has anyone figured this out yet? Did he slip through a portal once he hit the water that dumped him into The Narrow Sea? It was fucking comical how this otherwise perfect episode ended. He just kept sinking further and further and I was like "Wait what is happening?"

His horse was running through ankle deep water seconds before Bronn tackled Jamie into it and then suddenly Jaime is sinking into the Mariana Trench. What the fuck happened, here?
Vasilnate1jarrodtbdarwinfeeshyThomasCaptainTrips

Comments

• it's the route the cruise ships take between highgarden and king's landing, so they dredge it.
    RyanReesemandarwinfeeshyElisaakritenbrink
  • 1) it was a riverbank he was on, so there could have been a steep drop off. Some rivers/bodies of water only have a very shallow bank, before dropping off in a major way.

2) it really wasn't that deep, I would guess 10-15 feet. We saw the bottom in both before shots and the final shot. There was some trickery done at the end to make it seem deeper, but really it was he same depth.
  • edited August 9
    KingKobra said:

1) it was a riverbank he was on, so there could have been a steep drop off. Some rivers/bodies of water only have a very shallow bank, before dropping off in a major way.

2) it really wasn't that deep, I would guess 10-15 feet. We saw the bottom in both before shots and the final shot. There was some trickery done at the end to make it seem deeper, but really it was he same depth.

A steep drop off 5 feet from the riverbank, though? Had Drogon hit him with his tail and knocked him 20 yards out into the middle of the river then fine, but Bronn just tackled him off the horse.

Maybe my TV is too dark, but I haven't seen the bottom in any of the shots.

• KingKobra said:

1) it was a riverbank he was on, so there could have been a steep drop off. Some rivers/bodies of water only have a very shallow bank, before dropping off in a major way.

A steep drop off 5 feet from the riverbank, though? Had Drogon hit him with his tail and knocked him 20 yards out into the middle of the river then fine, but Bronn just tackled him off the horse.

Yeah, I've seen drop offs like that, it's not common, but they do exist. Your settings may be too dark if you missed the scenes showing the bottom (you see it 1st I believe in the "wide shot" of him going down).
    Hunter
  • aberry89aberry89 California
    edited August 9
    So it's the depth of the water that's getting at you, for me it's that Bronn, JUMPED IN FRONT OF A FIREBALL AND PUSHED A FULLY ARMORED MAN OUT OF THE WAY.

*it's called the writers are done giving a fuck*
    akritenbrink
  • aberry89 said:

So it's the depth of the water that's getting at you, for me it's that Bronn, JUMPED IN FRONT OF A FIREBALL AND PUSHED A FULLY ARMORED MAN OUT OF THE WAY.

*it's called the writers are done giving a fuck*
    10+ feet out of the way
  • KingKobra said:

KingKobra said:

Yeah, I've seen drop offs like that, it's not common, but they do exist. Your settings may be too dark if you missed the scenes showing the bottom (you see it 1st I believe in the "wide shot" of him going down).
    I'm agreeing with KingKobra on this.  Initially when I was watching the episode, I thought the same thing you did RyanReeseman and after the episode ended I went back and rewound it just so I could see the scene again.  Jamie's horse is already clearly in the water and then Jamie is riding full speed and gets knocked off by Bronn (pretty sure this has been confirmed) and so Jamie is going to fall into a different part of the water with a different trajectory.  So, Jamie is being pushed further out as his momentum goes in that direction.  Combine that with the weight that he's got on him (armor, golden hand, etc.) and the fact that this water could have a steep drop off (it's not uncommon for a body of water to have a really shallow part and then like a 10 foot drop if you take another step) and Jamie is falling deeper and deeper into the water.  So, not entirely impossible for this to happen. 
  • ThomasThomas North Carolina
    KingKobra said:

KingKobra said:

There are sharp drop offs in plenty of rivers, but not rivers that are slow moving and have a shallow, gradual shore like this one has.  Rivers that have sharp drop offs usually have solid shores, not sandy.  The sandy shores that have sharp drop offs are due to fast moving rivers.

Show me any river with a calm beach like in this episode that drops 20ft a mere 5ft from ankle deep water.  A great episode, but the final 10 seconds were comical.
  • edited August 9
    Euron might bring Jaime back since the iron born know drowing rituals. Maybe Melissandre or another red priesstess could offer Cersei to resurrect her brother if she gives up the throne for Dany.
  • MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky
    For what it's worth, the Blackwater Rush is where the Trident and Blackwater Bay meet up and it's known to be very deep with very strong and treacherous currents.

With that said, Jaime landed what, ten feet (at the most and that's probably being generous) in and it seems unlikely that there would be that big of a drop-off. Also, we didn't even see him begin to struggle. I think he was still processing what the heck just happened. The question is, will Dany be standing there waiting when he swims out? (or is pulled out) Or will she realize she's super vulnerable and take off before that happens.
  • Thomas said:

KingKobra said:

KingKobra said:

There are sharp drop offs in plenty of rivers, but not rivers that are slow moving and have a shallow, gradual shore like this one has.  Rivers that have sharp drop offs usually have solid shores, not sandy.  The sandy shores that have sharp drop offs are due to fast moving rivers.

Show me any river with a calm beach like in this episode that drops 20ft a mere 5ft from ankle deep water.  A great episode, but the final 10 seconds were comical.
    I've been on beaches in the north east where you're going out into the water and there is a sudden drop off by a foot or so from one step to the next.  So coming up with a scenario is possible for this scene.  Maybe not likely, but not impossible.
    KingKobra
  • redlancerredlancer Seattle
    edited August 9
    Well, in a show with dragons and ice zombies you may need some suspension of disbelief... (It's pretty obvious the stuntmen land in about a foot of water off of a very shallow shoreline)

I think in the end it was just a great looking shot that was more of a metaphor for Jamie's state of mind. ARon's rule of cool applies.
    Hunterphoenyx1023
  • Now, i'm just thinking of how comical if in reality it was something like this- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DB78NMrLB50

redlancer

Thomas said:

KingKobra said:

KingKobra said:

I've been on beaches in the north east where you're going out into the water and there is a sudden drop off by a foot or so from one step to the next.  So coming up with a scenario is possible for this scene.  Maybe not likely, but not impossible.
    Definitely possible, but not with this type of sandy bottomed river.  His horse is clearly running on flat ground a couple of feet out into the water that is only a few inches deep.  If it was sloped and dropped a foot every step, his horse wouldn't be running on flat ground lol.  I get it, it is a show about fantasy, but that doesn't mean people aren't allowed to criticize seemingly lazy shots by the directors.  It is ok to give the episode a 10/10 and still point out some inaccuracies. 
    redlancer
  • It is very common for rivers, and even lakes to go from shallow water to steep drop offs.  it is even more common on rivers where sand deposits accumulate,   
        You can be traveling in a boat if 25 foot of water on a river and then come up on a Sand Bar where the water depth goes from 20 feet plus to 2 feet, which will do a lot of damage to a fast moving boat.

KingKobra
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    Here is one bank of where this was filmed, charca de Barrueco de Arriba.  The low water level lets you see how steep and immediate the drop off could be.  I'm guessing limestone?  I could see a sandy beach going into the water to a big limestone drop off.  

KingKobragguenotGredalBee
    My bad, all that steep rock in Los Barruecos is granite.  
  • akritenbrinkakritenbrink Lynnwood, WA (Seattle area)
    I thought it was slow motion.
    Murderbearphoenyx1023

Agreed. It certainly looks that way. And certainly reminiscent of the shot of Bran falling out of the window.
    KingKobraakritenbrink
  • redlancerredlancer Seattle
    edited August 9
    and the shot of Tyrion sinking with the stone men

KingKobra
    edited August 9

Yes, this water looked like it was raging and had steep granite edges lol.

voodoorat
    I watched that gif like five times before I realized he wasn't going to go in the water lol

Agreed. It certainly looks that way. And certainly reminiscent of the shot of Bran falling out of the window.
    And I'm not sure the point of it is how deep the water is haha. I thought the point of it was his face like "Oh shit.. what just happened..." I thought he might even be on a suicide mission going to attack Dany with her dragon right there. He was pretty down after his time with Olenna- maybe he was in a dark place after learning the truth about Joffrey's death or maybe the stuff she said about Cersei or both.

There's a clear 4 foot wide shallow area that he is riding on and then to the right of it is a drastic change in the choppiness of the water.  We can't see what's underneath cause the water is murky.  The lake it was filmed on shows lots of relatively flat gradient that goes into water that looks like it gets deep quickly.  But still, this isn't Espana; this is Westeros, a fictitious fantasy land with sublime geography. And we're lead to believe that they are at "Blackwater Rush" According to the GoT Wiki:   Blackwater Rush - A deep, swift river,[2] the Blackwater's currents are wicked and treacherous.

what @KingKobra said.  The side view showed it to be 10-15 ft deep.  That's not too wild to upset me.  Plus it looked cool.  
    KingKobra
    @akritenbrink Totally. I don't think the depth is actually going to be an issue because I don't think he's going to drown. He's most definitely in shock of what just happened. Weirdly though, remembered the Bran falling scene as being shot from the same perspective. But it's not at all, it's from below. I had in my head their arms and legs looked the same but I was definitely wrong.

@Thomas Welllllll, ummmm, still waters run deep? I got nuthin. Ha
    KingKobra
    cdrive said:

There's a clear 4 foot wide shallow area that he is riding on and then to the right of it is a drastic change in the choppiness of the water.  We can't see what's underneath cause the water is murky.  The lake it was filmed on shows lots of relatively flat gradient that goes into water that looks like it gets deep quickly.  But still, this isn't Espana; this is Westeros, a fictitious fantasy land with sublime geography. And we're lead to believe that they are at "Blackwater Rush" According to the GoT Wiki:   Blackwater Rush - A deep, swift river,[2] the Blackwater's currents are wicked and treacherous.

what @KingKobra said.  The side view showed it to be 10-15 ft deep.  That's not too wild to upset me.  Plus it looked cool.  

Haha, ok, well if you want to get super picky, freeze frame when Tyrion is watching him.  There is a clump of rocks about 20 feet out in the water from him!  They are in backwater too, so there isn't rushing water 5ft off shore haha.
    Oh yeah well if you didn't cut the gif so soon, right after Drogon turns you can see for a flash of a second a little sign on the bank that says "DANGER WATER DEEP AND UNDER TOW" :P
    akritenbrinkMurderbear
  • It seems clear that the intent is for Jaime to need help getting out of the river, as he fell in somewhere too deep for him to easily escape.  This creates dramatic tension and gives an excuse for why Drogon doesn't finish him off.  Unfortunately, locations don't always match scripts and that part of the shore may not have been quite what they needed.

I suppose they could have just scrapped the entire thing.

I have actually seen rivers that are slow, with areas of shallow, sandy banks, that drop off quickly into treacherous depths, though.  I nearly drowned in one in Michigan and have seen a few here in Florida.   They aren't appropriate for filming, but they do exist.