R'hllor's Meeseeks Theory

This was casually mentioned at the beginning of the podcast and dismissed, but it makes a ton of sense for Arya to give Jon the "gift" at the end of the series. Martin has talked about how he thought it was bullshit Gandalf came back in LoTR without consequence and there has to be a price to bring a character back from death, and it seems clear that Jon was brought back to life by whatever the Lord of Light is for the purpose of defeating the white walkers.

I think this would be way more fitting than Jon just ruling the North after everything is done, all of his leadership and will to live has been laser focused on defeating this threat. It also gives more meaning to what we saw from the Faceless Men and they're idea of death as a gift, gives Arya a greater purpose, and certainly fits the bittersweet ending George promised. It would be a great final scene for Jon to ask Arya to give him the peace of death after everything he's done, having been depleted in the process of fulfilling his purpose.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this? I've been staying away from Reddit and a lot of the normal theory places with all the leaks so maybe this has been talked about to death but it really jumped out at me when A.Ron said it.
Travis

Comments

• I wonder if they could get to a place where because of the resurrection Jon could end up destined to be a future Night's King in the making. Some revelation about the history of the Night's King that could point to a possibility like that for Jon. That could drive it. I'm not so up on all of the lore or anything, but I could see that train playing out and being very compelling.
    bizmarkiefader
  • bizmarkiefaderbizmarkiefader San Francisco
    edited August 9
    @Travis Yea, I just can't see Jon getting a happily ever after.

What does he even care about other than defeating the Night's King at this point? He loves his family but it's not like they were all super tight growing up and they all have their own things going on. Does he even want to grow old settling feuds between minor lords over cattle and shit after being resurrected to defeat an army of the dead? Is it even possible for him to have children? I think his reanimation is being fueled by his singular purpose and when it's done he's going to want to return to the peace he was taken from.
    Travis
  • TravisTravis CA
    edited August 9
    The only real answer I have to that question is: "Because Hollywood!" I don't know much about GRRM, but it seems like he enjoys subverting that logic and this hasn't been that kind of a story (as we quickly found out via Ned Stark's fate). If he's going for a bittersweet ending, Jon's death would be a great way to bring the bitter. Arya having to deal it out and the emotional cords that could be plucked in doing it would be one mother-fuck of a way to realize it, and I think they could get there. When A.Ron first mentioned it on the cast I said (maybe aloud actually, walking with my headphones one) "no way, Arya is not going to kill Jon!" but if there was some potential for Jon to not be Jon anymore and it was a mercy killing of sorts I could actually see it.

I do think that if you take that kind of a purpose for it out, that I'm not sure how it works. I think he's more the type to disappear beyond the wall or something like that than to kill himself or even more to ask that of Arya, and I'm not sure how they get to Arya deciding that Jon needs to die under the current circumstances, but we do have some running room in the series. Interesting to see how all of that might shape out.
  • bizmarkiefaderbizmarkiefader San Francisco
    edited August 9
    Travis said:

When A.Ron first mentioned it on the cast I said (maybe aloud actually, walking with my headphones one) "no way, Arya is not going to kill Jon!" but if there was some potential for Jon to not be Jon anymore and it was a mercy killing of sorts I could actually see it.

I do think that if you take that kind of a purpose for it out, that I'm not sure how it works. I think he's more the type to disappear beyond the wall or something like that than to kill himself or even more to ask that of Arya, and I'm not sure how they get to Arya deciding that Jon needs to die under the current circumstances, but we do have some running room in the series. Interesting to see how all of that might shape out.

I think it works because Jon would want to die, he already isn't Jon anymore and he has no purpose once it's all over. He also uses every chance he gets to remind people he never wanted any of this shit. Arya might understand, she has a close relationship with death and some experience giving the gift for mercy from her time training at the House of B&W. It would be a nice payoff for all the Faceless Man death religion stuff if it drove her to make that decision, right now she's just an assassin who can change faces so that all feels kinda pointless. They would have to set up that Jon is tired more than they have (I think a few Melissandre lines would do it), but when he was first resurrected he seemed like he wanted to go back but felt obligated to stay and lead the fight.

Or maybe Kit's constant brooding face is just fucking with me.

@MysteryRosa George has stated that the ending will be bittersweet, whatever that means to him.

Travis
  • budesignsbudesigns Tega Cay, SC

If they really wanted to go bittersweet then they'd have everyone except Jon get slaughtered by the Night King and as Arya lay there dying on the ground Jon realizing that he has no way out he ask's Arya to kill him.....smash to black.

That's just bitter. Where's the sweet?
    I think they can have the "good" guys win and still avoid it being a typical happy ending.