Eastwatch-by-the-Sea (No leaks please)

This is in response to the next episode of Game of Thrones. I'm wondering how protected Eastwatch actually is. It was mentioned that the Free Folk (FF) are the ones manning the castle, but is this in addition to the Nights Watch (NW), or is it all FF now and the NW are focusing on Castle Black? Also, is it mentioned that Eastwatch is on the eastern coast of the continent, does that make it easier or harder to protect? Lastly, what the heck is going on in the other manned castle, The Shadow Tower? What the heck are they doing right now? 

Feel free to make comments and speculations, but please avoid mentioning any production leaks. Book spoilers however, are good to go.

Comments

• edited August 10
    In the books I'm pretty sure all 3 are manned.

http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Night's_Watch#Military_Strength

However, in the show it is very vague. I believe that Castle Black is the only manned castle along the wall. When Jon sent Tormund to Eastwatch, he made no mention of men already being there. It could go either way.

In the books, eastwatch seemed like the best station, due to it being along the coast and able to trade. Also, It was a prime area for wildlings to bypass the wall. There have been times where wildlings traded with the Nights Watch at Eastwatch.
  • I have no advanced knowledge so I'm going to use this thread to score meaningless internet points and predict Tormund is going to die next week and also the wall will go down. Boom, hot take. (Sarcasm mode deactivated).

I do actually believe there's going to be some ice zombies next week though.
    Elisa
  • akritenbrinkakritenbrink Lynnwood, WA (Seattle area)
    I was thinking Jon said there was no one there and that's why they had to send the Wildlings there. But maybe it was that there weren't enough people there.
  • pavlovsbellpavlovsbell Brooklyn, NY
    edited August 10
    I'm fairly certain in both books and show, those three castles are the only ones still garrisoned. The main difference is that the show staffing numbers are a fraction of what they are in the books (which are already a fraction of the NW in its heyday). One of the candidates running for Lord Commander when Jon was elected was the commander at the Shadow Tower, and Stannis advised Jon to send Alliser Thorne to Eastwatch.

There would have be some men at Eastwatch because I think they do some trade there, both with Free Folk and I think some ships stop up there, and it's a vulnerable point that would need to staffed regardless.

I would have loved to have gotten a scene of Tormund & co. arriving there to see how the men there receive them. In an earlier season, we would have gotten that, but they are rushing things now.
    webswingerElisa
  • akritenbrinkakritenbrink Lynnwood, WA (Seattle area)

I'm fairly certain in both books and show, those three castles are the only ones still garrisoned. The main difference is that the show staffing numbers are a fraction of what they are in the books (which are already a fraction of the NW in its heyday). One of the candidates running for Lord Commander when Jon was elected was the commander at the Shadow Tower, and Stannis advised Jon to send Alliser Thorne to Eastwatch.

There would have be some men at Eastwatch because I think they do some trade there, both with Free Folk and I think some ships stop up there, and it's a vulnerable point that would need to staffed regardless.

I would have loved to have gotten a scene of Tormund & co. arriving there to see how the men there receive them. In an earlier season, we would have gotten that, but they are rushing things now.
    Maybe they were out of jetpacks and they are still on the way...
  • pavlovsbellpavlovsbell Brooklyn, NY
    @akritenbrink  I would love that, but I'm not expecting it. Book Jon integrating the Free Folk (including women, gasp) into the Night's Watch contributed to him getting the Julius Caesar treatment. In the show, they're all probably getting drunk on fermented goat's milk and listening to Tormund's bear-fucking stories together.
    akritenbrinkKingKobra
  • Vasilnate1Vasilnate1 Salem, MA
    edited August 10
    the new romantic spin-off, sorry @akritenbrink they are officially shipped!
    akritenbrinkvoodooratAlkaid13SlytherinSisterTheOriginalGManAll the Chickens
  • FreddyFreddy Denton, Texas
    The whole episode is just going to be Jon getting dressed. Good god, how long does it take to put those big burlap sack boots on properly?
  • Alkaid13Alkaid13 Georgia
    edited August 10
    @Freddy
    I wonder which cast member has the most uncomfortable outfit or takes the longest to get in costume? The guys in armor standing next to explosions can't be very comfortable even if the armor was fake.
    Edit: Danny's sack cloth garb from S1 looks pretty uncomfortable in universe if not in real life.
  • LittleLionessLittleLioness Pennsylvania

the new romantic spin-off, sorry @akritenbrink they are officially shipped!

Eastwatch-by-the-Sea: it does sound like a quirky and eccentric seaside resort village in New England or the coast of Devon or something doesn't it? lol
    Vasilnate1
  • It sounds like a Cotswold village like Bourton on the Water or Stow on the Wold. Visit quaint little Eastwatch by the Sea, come for the wild, hairy northmen, stay for the frozen, undead killing machines. We even have an improbably large solid ice wall, better see it before it all melts or something.
    Vasilnate1
  • LittleLionessLittleLioness Pennsylvania
    Alkaid13 said:

It sounds like a Cotswold village like Bourton on the Water or Stow on the Wold. Visit quaint little Eastwatch by the Sea, come for the wild, hairy northmen, stay for the frozen, undead killing machines. We even have an improbably large solid ice wall, better see it before it all melts or something.

And the toffee shops!
  • Eastwatch should still be garrisoned, they are probably just undermanned. Eastwatch is where the fleet is that Jon used to rescue people from Hardhome.