What "Things" does Cersei need help from the Golden Company to recover?

Is she talking about Casterly Rock and the North?  Or more, like Tyrion and Sansa?

Comments

• pavlovsbellpavlovsbell Brooklyn, NY
    I immediately thought of Tyrion and Sansa. Cersei is on a revenge mission, and neither Jaime nor Littlefinger has delivered Sansa's head to her, so...

I was shocked by the lack of security at Winterfell. Sansa's was lecturing Jon about Cersei and annoyed by Littlefinger lecturing her about Cersei, yet she has two doofuses at the gate with the gate totally open.  smh  With that stunning lack of security, Cersei doesn't even need the Golden Company. Tyrion is much more difficult to get to, though.
    Elisa
    Stop pissing in my soup and saying you're cooling it off.
  • edited August 10
    War elefants who can throw huge spears and nasty rocks with their trunks. Beats any Ballista. Any surviving Mammoths might fall in line with them.

• I think Cersei just realizes that she needs more of an army and doesn't have anyone else to make allies with, so she might as well hire an armed force to help protect her and "defend the realm".
    Elisa
  • All the ChickensAll the Chickens Birmingham, AL
    Her sanity?

Seriously though, perhaps she means the North and/or the Riverlands? I can't imagine an object or specific person that she could be talking about. It would really bizarre, even for her, to talk about Sansa or Tyrion as "belonging" to her. Also, if she were talking about Sansa, she may as well be talking about the north, because she wouldn't be able to get Sansa without defeating the north. Same with Tyrion- she would simply have to win the war. And besides, I'm sure she's more worried about getting the north and winning the war than either of those two, especially since they would be part of the spoils of victory.

AND you wouldn't use an army to abduct specific people. Just a small group of people with a particular set of skills.

• MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky
    I've been meaning to go back and see if I can tell where she is staring at the map when she says that. It might not have anything to do with anything but she definitely puts her 1000 yard stare on at some point on the map and I wonder if it's relevant.
  • edited August 10
    If she could hire an army to conquer Essos back from Dany and give it back to the slavemasters they will be happy. They would probably provide food, ships and troops in return. She might even get the masters to pay for it in advance. Qyburn has some spies in Essos, maybe he is setting something like that up. Hell, even Dario could turn on Dany, that would fit the prophecy.
  • pavlovsbellpavlovsbell Brooklyn, NY
    edited August 11

Her sanity?

Seriously though, perhaps she means the North and/or the Riverlands? I can't imagine an object or specific person that she could be talking about. It would really bizarre, even for her, to talk about Sansa or Tyrion as "belonging" to her. Also, if she were talking about Sansa, she may as well be talking about the north, because she wouldn't be able to get Sansa without defeating the north. Same with Tyrion- she would simply have to win the war. And besides, I'm sure she's more worried about getting the north and winning the war than either of those two, especially since they would be part of the spoils of victory.

AND you wouldn't use an army to abduct specific people. Just a small group of people with a particular set of skills.

Cersei does want the entire seven kingdoms, yes, but she is also focused on revenge -- and the personal stories are always more interesting, aren't they? In the premiere, when we first saw her swanning around on that map, she talked about her enemies: Our little brother, who murdered our father and our firstborn son; Ellaria Sand and her brood of bitches; Olenna, the old cunt; and that murdering whore Sansa.

Cersei has taken out half of those enemies, Olenna and Ellaria & the SS. During this scene with Tycho, she still thinks Tyrion and Sansa murdered Joffrey. I expect that when Jaime tells her the truth that she will still blame Tyrion for Tywin's murder (and her mother's death -- she's always hated Tyrion), and she hates Sansa for... well, for betraying her with the Boltons (probably how Cersei views it) and being part of the Northern rebellion. She's Cersei, she's paranoid and vengeful.

In S1, Cersei told Joffrey that the North is unruly, but you can't invade it successfully. Jon told Sansa not to worry about a southern army invading the North. But the Golden Company? Sure, except that Cersei may not be aware of Jorah Mormont's connection to it, or the Targaryen connection. 

In the books, Cersei wanted to send assassins to infiltrate the Night's Watch to take out Jon Snow when she learned of his election to Lord Commander. That's how paranoid and petty Cersei can be.

I could be wrong, but the only reason I can see to bring up the Golden Company again is because of Jorah's connection to it, and the Targaryen historical connection. And also to show Cersei's hypocrisy for castigating Daenerys publicly for bringing a foreign army, when she is now trying to hire foreign/exiled sellswords because she cannot rally Westerosi support. I feel fairly confident that whatever happens, it will backfire on Cersei. Maybe the GC will never show up -- I really don't want them to introduce more characters when they're already compressing the show so much as it is.

I do wonder why Cersei hasn't mentioned Littlefinger, though.
    Stop pissing in my soup and saying you're cooling it off.

• I expect that when Jaime tells her the truth that she will still blame Tyrion for Tywin's murder (and her mother's death -- she's always hated Tyrion), and she hates Sansa for... well, for betraying her with the Boltons (probably how Cersei views it) and being part of the Northern rebellion. She's Cersei, she's paranoid and vengeful.

Slightly off what the thread topic is, but I just don't see Jamie telling Cersei the truth about Joffrey's death.  To what end does it do Jamie any good?  Jamie is smart enough to know that even if he did tell Cersei the truth that either a) she's not going to believe him and just say that Olenna was lying to him to hurt both of them or b) that Tyrion was still involved in it and blame him for Joffrey's murder.  So, by telling Cersei the truth, the only outcome would be that it might hurt Cersei and Jamie doesn't want to do that.  So I think he keeps the truth to himself and never tells her.
  • voodooratvoodoorat Atlanta
    edited August 11
    what "belongs to her" that she doesn't have?  i'm sure this isn't it, but it makes the most sense to me that she'd just be referring to those of the 7 kingdoms over which she has no control (basically all of them at this point except maybe the reach?  i have no fucking clue as to what's going on in the stormlands, dorne, or the riverlands right now, the power structures there are all off the narrative radar) although presumably a bunch of the reach's army just got torched along with many of the lannisters), especially since mercenary armies could actually plausibly help her get those back whereas it's kind of a blunt tool for, you know, finding a necklace she lost or kidnapping someone or whatever.

@dochielomn "So I think he keeps the truth to himself and never tells her.":  i agree, unless he winds up turning on her and uses the information to hurt her, it's pointless (worse than pointless) to tell her; it's not like she's going to change her mind about tyrion (who did, after all, murder tywin and who she hated long before joffrey's death anyway).

• I do wonder why Cersei hasn't mentioned Littlefinger, though.
    Let's not forget, Littlefinger has openly declared for house Stark and the Vale has never been conquered except by dragons.It's hard to imagine to go north with the Vale on it's side. With Euron's help they might be able to avoid going through the neck and let's say land at white harbour with the golden company. That would be troublesome for the Starks sind most of their forces are gathered at the wall. But the Manderlys should have some soldiers left and the vale knights are still in play too, they could move fast. I still think it would make more sense to take Essos from Dany, Euron's pirates and the golden Company could do some pillaging and looting without much damage for Cersei.

• CoryCory New Scotland
    I'd guess sanity, but not sure she ever had any to begin with (she pushed a girl down a well as a child, no?).
    Murderbear
    That'll put marzipan in your pie plate, bingo!
  • akritenbrinkakritenbrink Lynnwood, WA (Seattle area)

I expect that when Jaime tells her the truth that she will still blame Tyrion for Tywin's murder (and her mother's death -- she's always hated Tyrion), and she hates Sansa for... well, for betraying her with the Boltons (probably how Cersei views it) and being part of the Northern rebellion. She's Cersei, she's paranoid and vengeful.

Slightly off what the thread topic is, but I just don't see Jamie telling Cersei the truth about Joffrey's death.  To what end does it do Jamie any good?  Jamie is smart enough to know that even if he did tell Cersei the truth that either a) she's not going to believe him and just say that Olenna was lying to him to hurt both of them or b) that Tyrion was still involved in it and blame him for Joffrey's murder.  So, by telling Cersei the truth, the only outcome would be that it might hurt Cersei and Jamie doesn't want to do that.  So I think he keeps the truth to himself and never tells her.
    After the end of episode 4, I would be surprised if Jaime makes it back to Cersei any time soon. Maybe we learned that so that when Jaime and Tyrion are reunited, Jaime knows that Tyrion didn't kill Joffrey (although he did still kill their father, and after Jaime risked his neck getting him out of jail).
    Be a human, not a machine.

Angie Kritenbrink
    akritenbrink on most social media