The Books Will Not... (spoilers for books already released)

This is a book reverse-anti-prediction thread! Using knowledge from the books, what are some things in the show, that you think WILL NOT happen in the books? For example:

The books will not... have the Sand Snakes kill Myrcella and Prince Doran, and take over Dorne.

In the books, Doran and the Sand Snakes are now on the same page. Dorne is in general strongly opposed to murdering children, and the Sand Snakes have no claim to the throne.
voodoorat

Comments

• Great thread! I agree with what you said, I think the show is portraying Dorne way differently and that bothers me a lot.

My addition: the books will not have Stannis agree to burning Shireen, not in a million years. If anyone agrees to that, it's likely to be Selyse.
    voodooratElisasgtdraino
  • MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky
    Friggin Dorne...they pissed all over some great stuff. Arianne Martel is a great character they just completely flushed away. And Doran. What a waste!

The books will not have Euron working for Cersei. He's so much more of a badass in the books.
  • Alkaid13Alkaid13 Georgia
    edited August 10
    Cersei won't blow up the Sept in the books, Marge and the Sparrows will probably die as a result of her machinations but not in the same way, as with the Blackwater battle, the firestorm in the books was a much smaller, long term burn. Explosions just look better on tv.
    voodoorat
  • Reni said:

Great thread! I agree with what you said, I think the show is portraying Dorne way differently and that bothers me a lot.

My addition: the books will not have Stannis agree to burning Shireen, not in a million years. If anyone agrees to that, it's likely to be Selyse.

I think Stanis will burn Shireen.

I don't think that Mel will bring back Jon in the same way. He will go into Ghost.

Cersei won't hire the Golden Company.

The Brotherhood without Banners won't kill Brother Ray(he's not in the books) or the people the show replaced with him and his followers.

Loras isn't gonna get blown up in the Sept.

Yara/asha isn't gonna give Danny the Greyjoy fleet.

Sam isn't going to cure Set Jorah of greyscale

I don't think summer is gonna die in the same way.

The umbers are not going to give up Rickon and shaggy dog

I can go on and on
    Elisa
  • To me, Cersei blowing up the Sept is something that I'm looking forward to seeing if it happens that way in the books.  I mean, it is an easy way for her to regain control of everything and take out her enemies at the same time.  So, I wouldn't be surprised if this event does take place in the next book.  Especially since Cersei just got Sir Robert Strong and I could see the High Sparrow countering by disallowing trail by combat or if the grave digger ends up being their champion and he defeats Sir Robert Strong.

For Stannis and Shireen, I don't think it will go down like this, but who knows.

As for Loras, isn't he essentially already dead in the books?  Thought he got badly injured in a battle (with like hot oil or tar being poured on his face/head).

Sam clearly isn't going to cure Jorah because at the moment, Jorah doesn't have anything to cure.  Jon Coddington was the one to contract greyscale in the books.

Agree on the Umbers not giving up Rickon.  Right now it appears that Davos is going to smuggle Rickon out.

And lastly, in the books, we still have Lady Stoneheart to deal with and what's going to happen if Jamie meets up with her.... 

• ElisaElisa Los Angeles
    Loras is supposedly injured badly at Dragonstone, but he is still very alive.

• I'm pretty sure the Tyrells are going down in the books anyways even if the means are different.
  • There are a lot more tyrells in the books than the show
  • i'm 99% sure stannis doesn't burn shireen.  i doubt if brienne kills stannis in the books since she's off in the riverlands doing something sneaky with jaime presumably related to lady stoneheart.  jesus the show and books are so divergent there must be so much that's going to be different--if he ever finishes them..  

Elisa
  • webswinger SoCal
    edited August 11
    I don't know if this is a spoiler it was on the after show recap. So if you think the recap can be a spoiler for the books then please don't read. I would put it in invisible ink but I don't know how

**************Spoiler***************

The DDs said something like they couldn't believe when GRRM told them stanis burns Shireen. The same way he told them about Hold the door.
  • yeah i think i read that, but i still don't even see how it works.  he's nowhere near where she is...  unless melisandre brings her from castle black to (near) winterfell or something so she can get burned, and it's not even very close (like 500+ miles away).  for the show that doesn't matter, but that sort of stuff matters for the books, he'd have to have some logical reason for her to be there.  that said, i can totally see melisandre or selyse burning her.
    Elisasgtdraino
  • Elisa said:

Loras is supposedly injured badly at Dragonstone, but he is still very alive.

Yeah, I didn't think Loras was actually dead but I thought he was injured so badly that was dying or that basically his life as a soldier was over.  Basically I thought the magic 8-ball said "outcome not so good" or something like that.

As for Stannis, I forget, did he leave Shireen at Castle Black?  Pretty sure Melissandre is still there.  And I know Jon receives the letter from Ramsay saying that Stannis is dead (but not sure I believe what Ramsay wrote) so yeah, it seems unlikely that Stannis would be able to burn his own daughter.

Elisa
  • Reni said:

Sam isn't going to cure Set Jorah of greyscale 

Well, I mean, that one's pretty obvious since it's not Jorah that gets greyscale in the books lol. 
    Elisa
  • @asmallcat that was the point of most of my post. The books and show are so different now that there are many obvious things that can't happen. Like Beric going to the the north, he can't because he's dead.

I got one that can potentially can happen but won't. Danny burning all the Khals and walking out of the flames unburt.
  • How do you think Selmy goes out in the books?
  • @voodoorat i don't know but I know I would love to see him slicing through wights, and maybe geting overrun by them to give people the time they needed. He needs an epic end, much better than the way the show did him.

• I got one that can potentially can happen but won't. Danny burning all the Khals and walking out of the flames unburt.

Valid point since GRRM has mentioned time after time that Dany surviving the fire was a 1 time thing because of the magic in the air and such, so if he did do something like that with Dany surviving another fire, i'm sure there would be some backlash.
    Elisa
  • I don't know if this is a spoiler it was on the after show recap. So if you think the recap can be a spoiler for the books then please don't read. I would put it in invisible ink but I don't know how

**************Spoiler***************

The DDs said something like they couldn't believe when GRRM told them stanis burns Shireen. The same way he told them about Hold the door.

Ya, I call BS. I agree, no way Stannis burns Shireen. In addition, IMO the books WILL NOT have Hodor hold the door.

Also, the books WILL NOT have a "Night King" White Walker character.
    Elisa
  • summer and shaggywolf/rickon don't go down like they did.  can you imagine how cheesy it would be to read rickon's death that way?  sheesh.
    Elisa
  • @sgtdraino the only way is if DDs are flat out lying. And I think that GRRM said something about hold the door.
    The Night King maybe the Great other.
  • As I recall, the DDs said something to the effect that the idea came from GRRM. They did NOT say that this "idea" would be reflected in the books, nor (to my knowledge) has GRRM said anything directly to us regarding Hodor or burning Shireen, or in any way corroborating what the DDs said he told them.

Could be, webswinger, but the "Great Other" seems to be the opposite number to the Red God, and I don't expect to see either one of them actually walking around doing stuff. In the books, they seem more like mysterious unseen forces.

The Books WILL NOT... have the Others be men that the Children of the Forest transformed into White Walkers. In the books, I don't think the Children created the Others. Doesn't seem like the timeline of their appearances lines up for that.
  • webswinger SoCal
    edited August 12
    So you think that GRRM is giving them notes that aren't in the books. That may be, he may be giving them notes on where the show goes a different way from the books to keep in his style. I haven't read anything about that though, what I do know is he gave them an outline of the story. The DDs would take different road to hit the major points and end. So when I hear them saying when GRRM told them or they read I'm assuming it came from the outline. I could be wrong, but only GRRM can say with 100% certainty. To be honest maybe even he doesn't know anymore. The leak of his original outline has changed so maybe the one he gave HBO and the DDs has also.
    About the Great Other he has said that gods won't show up in this story. So your most likely right that's why I said maybe the Night King is the Great Other. If He makes the Great Other the leader of the Others and not a God then the chances go way up.

I thought the same way when I saw the Children make the WW. I was thinking that it didn't make sense the timeline wouldn't match up. So I was expecting some of the lore podcasts to talk about how this is something that can't happen in the books. When they didn't I was surprised, I didn't check to see if it lined up though. I think I'll do that now.
  • I'm pretty sure hold the door is going to happen in the books. That one just seems like a GRRM original and fits very neatly with Hodor's whole plot line.
  • I mean in the grand scheme of things who knows what will or won't happen, if we never get a book it's all just speculation.
  • voodooratvoodoorat Atlanta
    edited August 12
    I think the phrase being the origin of his"name" is probably right although the details are probably different.

Yeah, I think the Night's King aka Patient 0 is a show invention and there won't be some guy on the ground leading the WW that way. I think there is likely a "great other" but it's not just some guy, it's a flavor of god or demon or whatever the Red God is. Maybe red god and great other are two manifestations of the same entity, who knows?

Dorne... I can pretty much guarantee Elaria Sand doesn't just take over by murdering the princes, lol. That's even more comic book thin reasoning than Cersei taking over the iron throne the way she did in the show.
    Elisa
  • Alkaid13 said:

I'm pretty sure hold the door is going to happen in the books. That one just seems like a GRRM original and fits very neatly with Hodor's whole plot line.

In the books, Hodor's real name isn't even Willis, it's Walder, and this is common knowledge early on (Old Nan has told them at some point before the story begins). There is no hint anywhere in the books that he was ever different than his gentle-minded stableboy self. Also in the books, as of this point anyway, Bran's ability to see things outside the timeline is very much linked to physical contact with the weirwoods, and limited to what is within physical view of a weirwood tree. There is also (at least at this point) no indication that Bran is ever intended to leave that cave. The idea that Bran would be powerful enough to warg into someone in the past while not connected to the weirwood network seems way beyond the scope of his abilities in the books. To me, "Hodor" = "hold the door" feels rather contrived.
  • @sgtdraino I the key phrase in ur argument against is "at least at this point". The show is well past the books. There are at least two books of material to finish Asoiaf, if it ever does get finished.

Here is a new one Cersei will not get prego by Jamie. I don't think she is in the show either though. So I guess I'm that Jamie won't be a thing in the books.
  • don't really know where to start with this last episode, very little of what anybody did makes sense if you just ask "why does" or "why did"
    Elisa