Can you swim in full plate armor? Video test!

A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
edited August 10 in Game of Thrones

So, this guy is a lot more optimistic about how the test went.  His conclusion is a reasonably fit man who was used to wearing armor could swim, albeit for brief distances.  I see a guy wearing 50 lbs of armor who can't keep his head above water for more than five seconds, if that.  Maybe Michael Phelps could do better, but I'd bet a month's pay that even he couldn't swim half the length of an Olympic pool in that getup.

FreddyTravisKingKobraGarageMovieGuyVasilnate1GredalBeeBrawn

Comments

• The internet is so fucking cool. You ask and you shall receive. Great find guys. 
    GarageMovieGuy
  • That's pretty awesome!

In medieval times the armour was even heavier (I guess thicker and/or larger plates that covered more area?) with either chainmail or thick leather underneath....they used cranes to put heavily armoured knights on horses and if they fell off they were toast.

I realize that fantasy is bound by the real-life standards, but it's an added perspective anyway.

GarageMovieGuy
  • Vasilnate1Vasilnate1 Salem, MA
    yeah, i posted this in the episode thread also. it looks pretty hard
  • akritenbrinkakritenbrink Lynnwood, WA (Seattle area)
    Now let's see him do it with a dragon shooting fire at him.
    CretanBullGarageMovieGuyVasilnate1
  • that looks like a pretty good way to die.
    GarageMovieGuy
  • Um...okay, dude.

Disregarding the fact that the guy looks like he probably would have drowned if those other divers weren't there, the fact is Jaime was headed down to the depths, and that lake looked like it was at least a good 15 ft deep. It's not easy to swim up for fifteen feet if you're a little winded (tho it is possible), but factor in the armor, being tired from hoisting that spear and riding, getting the wind knocked out from being tackled, the surprise of instantly being thrown in the water. I don't think he gets out of there without help.

I just hope he's not dead. I think it would be interesting to have him taken by Daenerys and Co and for him to encounter Tyrion again. Just a few more days til we find out.
  • I mean for narrative purposes someone is going to fish Jaime out of the river next episode. A few strapping Dothraki with their lack of armor could probably carry him out with some effort, also Drogon could easily lift him if he's careful. If Jaime himself or just Bronn try to help him out that's just not happening and they're shortcutting for the sake of story purposes. But I imagine we're just going to cut to him being out of the river without actually seeing it.
    GarageMovieGuy
  • In terms of swimmable armor the Greyjoy heavy leathers are probably the best way to go.
    I think it's possible that Bronn dies but Jaime does not. I can't see Jaime dying right now. But GoT has killed people surprisingly before.
  • I think it's possible that Bronn dies but Jaime does not. I can't see Jaime dying right now. But GoT has killed people surprisingly before.

Wouldn't this ruin your Braime shipping?
    KingKobra said:

I think it's possible that Bronn dies but Jaime does not. I can't see Jaime dying right now. But GoT has killed people surprisingly before.

That wasn't me. I am not shipping Jaime with anyone. And Bronn... hmm ... Considering he is already technically married I think I will opt out of shipping him too.
  • I dunno if Jaime will survive the series, but they're building towards something between him and Cersei...he's not going out now, and won't go out like that.  Live or die, it's gonna be epic.
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    edited August 11
    I'm not trying to be a shit, but Jaime isn't wearing full plate armor. He isn't neck to toe full C3PO. Still though, all his leather,his boots...his metal hand surely hurts more than helps with paddling. He's sinking like a rock. He looks out of it after getting tackled / fire exploded off his horse. The water is a good 15 ft deep. He's gassed from fighting Dothroki. He's going to need help getting out of that water. No way he goes out like this though. Bronn will pull him out of the water. And it isn't like Dany and her army are going to disappear in the 2 minutes it takes for him to get out of the water. Who knows how it shakes out but no way he drowns.
  • KingKobra said:

That wasn't me. I am not shipping Jaime with anyone. And Bronn... hmm ... Considering he is already technically married I think I will opt out of shipping him too.
    You said you're shippig everyone, if you start to make exclusions, that isn't everyone :p
  • No self-respecting knight would be wearing glasses.

What they don't test is how quickly a knight would be able to remove his armor, at the very least his breastplate.  I think by instinct if one realizes that their strokes to the surfaceare not effective, they would try to free themselves from the item holding them down.  Assuming a battle hardened knight doesn't panic easily.
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    From the video it might be better to get the arms off.  Sounds like the weight on the limbs is the real sinker, which isn't surprising.
    I think the guy should chop his hand off too and start wearing a gold hand to make it a real test.

KingKobra said:

KingKobra said:

You said you're shippig everyone, if you start to make exclusions, that isn't everyone :p
    Defeated by my own words yet again...
    KingKobra
  • JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    Forget swimming in armor, swimming in fucking glasses!
    GarageMovieGuy
  • MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky
    This video kinda reminds me of Mythbusters when Adam Savage tried to test the myth of ninjas running on water. "Well, I'm a middle aged man who is in nowhere near the physical shape of a ninja and I can't do it soooooo, myth busted!"

With that being said, I'm certainly not saying this would be easy or possible, much like the running on water thing but it would be nice if they actually used someone who is in a comparable state of physical fitness as a knight would likely be.
  • CoryCory New Scotland

KingKobra said:

But you are shipping Jon and Dany, right?
  • CoryCory New Scotland

This video kinda reminds me of Mythbusters when Adam Savage tried to test the myth of ninjas running on water. "Well, I'm a middle aged man who is in nowhere near the physical shape of a ninja and I can't do it soooooo, myth busted!"

With that being said, I'm certainly not saying this would be easy or possible, much like the running on water thing but it would be nice if they actually used someone who is in a comparable state of physical fitness as a knight would likely be.

I bet Batman could do it.
    Murderbear
  • ThomasThomas North Carolina

From the video it might be better to get the arms off.  Sounds like the weight on the limbs is the real sinker, which isn't surprising.

It is basically impossible to swim in modern day armor that probably weighs about the same or less than medieval armor.  Modern day armor is not anywhere near as cumbersome as that either.  Plenty of service members have drown because they fell in water with kit on and couldn't get it off (a lot of the higher-end body armor have quick release valves for this purpose, but most conventional forces don't have them).

I am sure Jamie will slip it off or get pulled out though, which I would be ok with.  As long as he doesn't swim across the channel (which in the frame by frame appears to be only like 30 feet) and surface far from danger.
    Thomas said:

It is basically impossible to swim in modern day armor that probably weighs about the same or less than medieval armor.  Modern day armor is not anywhere near as cumbersome as that either.  Plenty of service members have drown because they fell in water with kit on and couldn't get it off (a lot of the higher-end body armor have quick release valves for this purpose, but most conventional forces don't have them).

I am sure Jamie will slip it off or get pulled out though, which I would be ok with.  As long as he doesn't swim across the channel (which in the frame by frame appears to be only like 30 feet) and surface far from danger.
    Yup lol
  • voodooratvoodoorat Atlanta
    edited August 14
    teach the controversy: last night i saw a different video that suggested it's NBD at all, although it may be less a matter of swimming in full plate and more a matter of warping the space-time continuum so that you wormhole to the shore far away in both time and space from where you went in.
    OldGriswold

Thomas said:

Yup lol
    That was ridiculous.  Dude must ave been drug sub-surface like a mile away haha.
  • Alternatively maybe another difference between our world and theirs is that in theirs humans can breathe fresh water. They're actually all merpeople, not just Varys.
    akritenbrinkCory
  • bizmarkiefaderbizmarkiefader San Francisco
    They did that same cliffhanger with someone sinking into the water with Tyrion in I think season 5. What is the point of these if they don't even show how it was resolved? It's not like anyone thought Jaime would go out like that anyway. Adding drama for the sake of it just adds confusion if you ignore it.
    Thomas said:

Thomas said:

Yup lol
    That was ridiculous.  Dude must ave been drug sub-surface like a mile away haha.
    Definitely ridiculous. Overall I thought it was a good episode, but that was probably the most anti-climactic opener ever. 

Thomas said:

Thomas said:

Yup lol
    Definitely ridiculous. Overall I thought it was a good episode, but that was probably the most anti-climactic opener ever. 
    Agreed.  I am liking everything happening in this show story wise, but I feel like the foundation isn't as solid as past seasons.  There are a lot more cracks and tropes this season it seems like.  Still loving it though.
  • CoryCory New Scotland

They did that same cliffhanger with someone sinking into the water with Tyrion in I think season 5. What is the point of these if they don't even show how it was resolved? It's not like anyone thought Jaime would go out like that anyway. Adding drama for the sake of it just adds confusion if you ignore it.

They didn't end the episode with Tyrion sinking though, yes it went back and seemed to be over, but then it cut to Jorah dragging Tyion out of the water, they talked a bit then Jorah turned away and showed the viewers that he had greyscale.