Is the Catspaw Dagger a show stand in for book Darksister?

I was listening to HoW book to show podcast and someone mentioned that Catspaw could be a stand in for Darksister. It kinda fits perfectly. If the the DDs didn't want to introduce Darksister because of all the other lore that goes along with it. So they might have replace Darksister with something that is pre-existing in the show. So this is what they were saying. The most likely place for Darksister is with the 3 eyed raven. Bran gets it and gets it to Arya, by giving to directly or sending it with Meera. In the books this would give Darksister to a Darksister. I think is just lines up too good not to happen. I maybe wrong but I'm sold on it.
rhcoop

Comments

• MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky
    Wow, I kind of like that. Ya know, I'd be curious what the actual name of that dagger is for the record. I didn't realize until a few days ago when I was researching it, it's been dubbed the "Catspaw" dagger but that's just because the person who was hired to kill Bran was called a catspaw. Ironic it cut Catelyn's hand. Or, Cat's paw.....whomp whomp.

But I'm curious if the dagger has an actual name or what the history of it is. I doubt we'll get too deep on it on the show beyond either who Littlefinger got it from or who gave it to him.
    CarrieShevs
  • I'll have to go back to the stills of the book with picture of the dagger, maybe it says the name
    Unfortunately not.

"The Valyrians were familiar with dragonglass long before they came to Westeros. They called it [some Valyrian words] which translates to 'frozen fire' in Valyrian, and eastern texts tell of how their dragons would thaw the stone with dragonflame until it became molten and malleable. The Valyrians then used it to build their strange monuments and buildings without seams and joints of our modern crafters.

When Aegon the Conqueror forged his Seven Kingdoms, he and his descendants would often decorate their blades with dragonglass, feeling a kinship with the stone. The royal fashion for dragonglass ornamentation soon spread throughout the Seven Kingdoms to those wealthy enough to afford it. Hilts and pommels were and are the most common decoration, for dragonglass is too brittle to make a useful crossguard. Indeed, its very brittleness is what relegates it to the great houses and the most successful merchants."
  • Dark Sister has been mentioned in the show:

MurderbearCarrieShevs
    Daaaaaammm!! Nice catch! Also, thank you. It's been years since I've watched that scene and it was always a favorite.
  • MrXMrX CO
    edited August 11
    Yea I heard it mentioned on another podcast, so can't take credit, but I did forget how great all the Arya at Harrenhal stuff was. Season 2 was dope (except for Qarth).
  • Yes thanks for the link that is also one of my favorite scenes. As a little girl she was holding her own with Charles Dance.
  • @mrx did the podcast say anything about if they thought the dagger was a show stand in for Darksister? Or did they think the mention would be enough to introduce the real Darksister in GoT?
  • @mrx did the podcast say anything about if they thought the dagger was a show stand in for Darksister? Or did they think the mention would be enough to introduce the real Darksister in GoT?

I think they theorized (no leaks) that it could just be a show stand-in, or perhaps Darksister had been melted down and re-forged like Ned's sword.

They also theorized that it was once Rhaegar's daggers since he liked putting rubies on stuff and there is a ruby on the hilt.
  • Was the podcast history of westeros? Because they said the same thing except the melting down part, I may have missed that though.
    rhcoop
  • LittleLionessLittleLioness Pennsylvania

I think you are on to something.

Wasn't Blood Raven the last wielder of Dark Sister? I am also curious as to whether Blackfyre will resurface. Perhaps with the Golden Company, perhaps hiding out with a family under a different name.

Does anyone know the provenance of how the Mormonts got Longclaw? I can't recall and am on a re-read right now, I'm at Book 2 and it hasn't come up yet.

• I've also wondered how a minor house has a Valarian steel sword and most major houses don't.
    I don't think it's that someone from a minor house has one, it's that Littlefinger has one. I'm sure he schemed his way into possession of that blade. Doubtful it was actually won from Tyrion in a bet.
  • I was talking about house Mormount having longclaw
    I know.....I was.....okay, sorry, wasn't paying attention!
  • @Murderbear i don't remember this but people have said that little finger won the dagger from Robert.
  • LittleLionessLittleLioness Pennsylvania

I think Robert took the dagger from Rhaegar's body after he killed him at the Ruby Ford, as a war trophy. Then, he may have lost it to Littlefinger in the tourney betting since as Tyrion said to Cat and others, he would never bet against his family esp. Jaime in the lists.

So the dagger may be a relic of Rhaegar, as well as an older Targaryen dragonlord or dragonlordess (Aegon I or Visenya).

Yeah, I was getting wires crossed. In the show he just said it was Tyrion's, which is why Cat was convinced he did it. In the books, Jaime told Cat he (LF) lost it to Robert in a bet. And people imagine Joffrey swiped it and gave it to the assassin in some misguided way to impress his father? (He might have heard Robert say the boy should be put down)
    This knife has had quite the journey! And this is all we know about so far. This is also only the book version.

https://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Valyrian_steel_dagger
  • I've also wondered how a minor house has a Valarian steel sword and most major houses don't.

In the HoW podcast they also mentioned if Jorah gets widows wail from Dany he has a stark Valyrian blade and Jon has a mormont one. Maybe they can trade?
    Murderbear
    Schlupp said:

I've also wondered how a minor house has a Valarian steel sword and most major houses don't.

In the HoW podcast they also mentioned if Jorah gets widows wail from Dany he has a stark Valyrian blade and Jon has a mormont one. Maybe they can trade?
    Just realized this second how much I actually want a Jon and Jorah meet up. Jorah gets yet another example of a man his Father trained but also gave the family sword to while grooming him to be his replacement. That's cool. And Jon gets to hear that his decision to send Samwell to the Citadel was a wise one as he decided to go ahead and just cure greyscale in addition to whatever else he'll discover on his road to Maestery.
  • CarrieShevsCarrieShevs Seattle
    edited August 15
    I LOVE THIS! It would make sense as a stand in for Dark Sister's importance. @LittleLioness is right. Last known carried by Bloodraven Bryden Rivers, who went to the wall then beyond. So, it would make sense that in the book parallel that Bran could have it.

Dark Sister was traditionally wielded by the great warrior or brother (in this case would be Rhaegar as son) where Blackfyre was the king. And also, Dark sister... who's a dark sister? Arya, Again, I love this @webswinger

Of all the GoT topics, the named swords are in my top 5 of favorite things to think and talk about.