AI: Artificial Intellegence huge huge spoilers

I had never seen this before, and won't be seeing it again. I mean, Spielberg and Kubrick have ripped my heart out of my chest and stabbed it while looking me in the eyes. I keep asking myself if it would have been more tragic if Spielberg had ended it with David asking the blue fairy to make him real, and it just fades to black to make it more ambiguous? I don't know which ending is crueler. Either way, this boy is going to live forever alone. Just brutal.

Comments

• JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    I adore that movie. I think it's so underrated. "Living forever alone" is the big difference between humans and AI -- as we fantacize about them anyway.
  • Yeah, I've been thinking about it since 3 this morning (when I finished it) and the more I think about it, it's a cynical ending. I think most people may think it's an uplifting movie because he had his perfect day w/ his mom, but in the back of my mind I'm thinking-
    Is this really how she feels? Did the aliens read David's mind and are just giving him what he wants? Is this suppose to give me closure? I don't know.
  • JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    I don't think it's a cynical ending at all. But I do think it's a sad ending. And I think it's intentionally saying something about the tragedy of human existence/sentience. Think about it: The idea that the aliens can only bring her back for ONE day is an enormous conceit, in a movie that plays things mostly realistic. A lot of people have a problem with that, but I don't mind a philosophical ending to a real story. Our lives are that way... very real, yet we can only be philosophical about the conclusion of them.

I think David would rather have 1 perfect day with his mom than nothing. This comment discusses how it shows evolution of David as a person. He was able to accept mortality. In a way, because he actually lived among humans, he is more human than the highly evolved robots that resurrected him. 

"Is this really how she feels?" - That's a good question. I would say, unencumbered by memory (or "programming"), yes, she really does feel love for David. I don't think the robots/aliens are capable of programming her any more than letting her live beyond 1 day. Love is the essence of personhood; it's what made David sentient.

God, I could read so many essays on this movie. Gigolo Joe, for instance, as an exploration of a being who enjoys the artifice of love (or artificial love).
  • But since David is capable of feeling love as a human being, and he lives forever, it seems cynical to me. Even if he can accept mortality, he still has to live forever with human feelings and the inability for his feeling to grow or mature. He has the emotions of a 10 year old for eternity. That would be absolute hell, imo.