Who's the "lone wolf" from Sansa's voice-over? (Speculation, light spoilers of show to-date)

I want to talk a little bit about Sansa's voice over from the teaser trailer...one of the few things from the trailers that we haven't seen yet this season. Near the end of the trailer she says: "When the snows fall and the white winds blow, the lone wolf dies but the pack survives." Who do you think she's talking to? Here's what I think: It’s gonna be Arya. 

Remember back in season one when Arya was a hands-down fan favorite? And Sansa--above all else--played a significant role in Cersei learning of Ned’s plans to flee Kings Landing…which led to his imprisonment and eventual beheading. It could be argued that things would have gone very differently for Ned (and Arya) if it weren't for stupid Sansa.

But through the seasons Sansa has become a levelheaded, strategist that I genuinely like and admire. And now in perfect opposition to her (thanks to Littlefinger’s meddling and Arya’s own awful experiences at the Sept of Baelor the day Ned was beheaded and pretty much everything that happened since then), is my former favorite stark sister, who is quite frankIy acting like a little psycho. She scares me. I'll say it.And so, I think when Sansa gives the “lone wolf” speech in the show it’ll be to Arya; because, well, character arcs and irony.

I'm hoping that Arya will figure out that little Littlefinger is playing her before she adds Sansa's name to her prayer list (!) but armed with her angst and well-earned distrust of people (including Sansa), I can see Arya provoking a falling out with Sansa, leaving Winterfell, and Sansa giving the “lone wolf” speech in a levelheaded, strategic attempt to keep her sister close. So, I think Arya will be the “lone wolf” in Sans'a speech. There are however, many reasons any one of the Stark kids could be considered the “lone wolf”:

1. Most obviously, John. Because he still doesn't know that he's not the bastard Stark. And even when (if?) he does find out he’ll be the only on who’s not a true born child of Ned. And he was resurrected. Hard to find company in that one. 2. And there’s, Bran. He's arguably the single most powerful human being alive in Westeros with the ability to see and remember every single person's past, present, and future. He’s not even really a Stark, or a person, anymore. Hard to find company in that. 3. Arya – She’s definitely the most independent. Maybe that alone doesn’t make her the most obvious choice, but again—character arcs and the sweet irony of our former favorite sister becoming the one being fooled and misled by someone playing the game of thrones. Lastly, even Sansa could be considered the “lone wolf” because of all the Stark kids…she's the Muggle. She doesn't have fighting skills, greenseeing skills, and she never been brought back to life. And even though that's probably the most interesting of all the reasons any Stark kid could be considered the “lone wolf” when her speech finally appears on screen it will likely be in the form of dialogue and not a narration.

What do you guys think? Do you think she’ll be talking to Arya? I think it could be John, too. But probably not Bran—I mean, where’s he going? -- #sorrynotsorry. It’d be great if, like in the trailer, it ends up being some kind of rebuttal to Littlefinger, preferably when all the Stark kids run him out of Winterfell, but I don’t think GRRM is that kind. I'm afraid we're definitely looking at a Stark sibling breach—after so long waiting for them to reunite—who do you think it’ll be? And because we can’t have nothin’ on this show, remember it doesn’t have to be just one breaking off from the pack.

Comments

• I also hope she will be talking to Arya - in an attempt to keep Arya around and part of Winterfell and to keep them working as a team.  Arya is very clever but she has grown up living an odd, isolated life.   Sansa is at this time more level-headed and savvy on what the North needs to continue to survive and thrive.  She is taking steps to feed and shelter people and is overall handling the Northern Lords well.  However Sansa is definitely ambitious and Arya senses that and is afraid of it, just as Sansa senses Arya being a possible danger to her.  I hope they make it up, for me these two sisters are the emotional core of the show in many ways, and I would like to see the "pack" work together.  And Arya surely is too clever not to see that Sansa must have been coerced into writing that letter in King's Landing many years ago.  Unless she is so bent on hating Sansa that she can't see clearly, and Lord Baelish has found her blind spot.  
    MegGryffindorpavlovsbell[Deleted User]
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • All the ChickensAll the Chickens Birmingham, AL
    Yeah I think she's just giving Arya a motivational speech before or after they team up against Littlefinger, once they figure out he's playing them.

I'm guessing it's something along the lines of "we have to stick together to take on our enemies. Father once told us that (enter lone wolf speech here)"
    MegGryffindorpavlovsbell
  • It seems to me like Arya already learned that lesson from her encounter with Nymeria.  She saw that the strength of a pack and that she belonged with her family.  So, it would be redundant for her to be given that speech.

I think it's to Littlefinger, after his scheme fails.  An explanation as to why Ned Stark's children are stronger together and why he will die alone.

MegGryffindorpavlovsbell
  • LittleLionessLittleLioness Pennsylvania
    wildcard said:

It seems to me like Arya already learned that lesson from her encounter with Nymeria.  She saw that the strength of a pack and that she belonged with her family.  So, it would be redundant for her to be given that speech.

I think it's to Littlefinger, after his scheme fails.  An explanation as to why Ned Stark's children are stronger together and why he will die alone.

I agree with this.
  • At this point, I'm hoping it's Sansa talking to Arya to convince her to not let Baelish tear them apart. Maybe it's the emotional climax to a scene that brings them together to take him down.

Though, given the reading, I do like the idea that she says it to Baelish shortly before his execution.
    pavlovsbell
  • pavlovsbellpavlovsbell Brooklyn, NY
    edited August 2017
    I gotta say, I was annoyed that they gave this quote to Sansa. This is something that Ned told Arya to remind her that Starks need each other and must stick together, and she thinks about it often throughout the books. Arya being the lone wolf who is always trying to get back to her pack, the Starks, and making and losing packs along the way, is a major part of her arc.

I don't know if Sansa is saying it to Littlefinger or to Arya, but the message is, "Don't mess with us, because we are loyal to each other and are stronger together."

"Let me tell you something about wolves, child. When the snows fall and the white winds blow, the lone wolf dies, but the pack survives. Summer is the time for squabbles. In winter, we must protect one another, keep each other warm, share our strengths. So if you must hate, Arya, hate those who would truly do us harm. Septa Mordane is a good woman, and Sansa … Sansa is your sister. You may be as different as the sun and the moon, but the same blood flows through both your hearts. You need her, as she needs you … and I need both of you, gods help me."
    Elisa[Deleted User]
  • chriskchrisk Indianapolis
    Haven't been around in a while but was glad to find this here. Just hit me we hadn't seen this speech delivered yet.

I'm hoping Sansa is saying it to Arya or Littlefinger, and either way it only seems to work well if the sisters end up on the same side. Doesn't seem like something you say to a fellow wolf if you're wanting to go against them.

I suppose it could also be a pep talk for the Northern Lords if they're getting skittish and thinking of abandoning Jon and Sansa, but I hope it's more personal.
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH

This might be a stretch, but I just thought of Littlefinger... maybe she will discover some betrayal of his and this is her way of saying "you're not really with us- you're on your own."

That's what I think. Sansa and Arya confronting LF on his bullshit with Arya dishing out a bit of the ultra violence. It would also be interesting if Arya takes his face and then his visual picture of him and Sansa being together will come true, haha.
    Freddy
  • FreddyFreddy Denton, Texas
    Mayor Carcetti, a shady CIA agent, Lord Nelson Rathbone, and now bitch ass Little Finger!? Has Aidan Gillen ever played a character that you don't want to see get ultra violenced?
  • I don't see why they can't just ice littlefinger, who would be on his side? He has no personal guard and Royce would probably be happy to see him go. They can make up a story for Robin if they must. No one needs to face off for that. 

What I miss are Arya / Ghost scenes, they should be bonding. Wouldn't he also interfere if the sisters were at each others throat?

• All the ChickensAll the Chickens Birmingham, AL
    Schlupp said:

I don't see why they can't just ice littlefinger, who would be on his side? He has no personal guard and Royce would probably be happy to see him go. They can make up a story for Robin if they must. No one needs to face off for that. 

If they do kill LF, the best play would be to do so quietly in private. Then Arya can take his face, and with his face on she could publicly announce to everyone that he's "riding to (some location) by myself" only for LF to never be seen again, and Arya sneaks back into Winterfell.

That would be bizarre of him to travel anywhere alone, but it's not as if his men or  Royce would jump to the conclusion that LF was murdered and someone has magically morphed into his physical body and voice in order to get away with his murder.

Or Arya could be tired of being in Winterfell and decide to go off to do some murderin', in which case she could enact the same plan but actually go somewhere else as LF.
  • Has the show established that anyone is dependent on Littlefinger? Right now the vale knights and lords might think they had worse leaders in the past but they wouldn't make a ruckus over Littlefingers death. They might just leave but who cares, without Dany the north is fucked either way. Smartest move might be to evacuate the north before the wall comes down.

• Schlupp said:

I don't see why they can't just ice littlefinger, who would be on his side? He has no personal guard and Royce would probably be happy to see him go. They can make up a story for Robin if they must. No one needs to face off for that. 

If they do kill LF, the best play would be to do so quietly in private. Then Arya can take his face, and with his face on she could publicly announce to everyone that he's "riding to (some location) by myself" only for LF to never be seen again, and Arya sneaks back into Winterfell.

That would be bizarre of him to travel anywhere alone, but it's not as if his men or  Royce would jump to the conclusion that LF was murdered and someone has magically morphed into his physical body and voice in order to get away with his murder.

Or Arya could be tired of being in Winterfell and decide to go off to do some murderin', in which case she could enact the same plan but actually go somewhere else as LF.

I think if Ayra or Sansa kill Littlefinger, you are right on about covering it up. Without a coverup, Littlefinger's army would most likely revolt or just leave, and Sansa and all the lords of the North need as many men as possible to fight the NK, WW and wights.
    Wouldn't Littlefinger have to break guest right first, or they would have to put him on trial -- or some vague semblance of a trial? If they just kill him for being shady, then they break guest right, and that's a huge no-no, especially in the North. The season literally opened with Arya taking out the Freys because they violated guest right with her family.
  • I think they made a point of all the Stark children getting their hands on Littlefinger's dagger. Hopefully that means that they will all band together as a pack to destroy him.
  • edited August 2017

Wouldn't Littlefinger have to break guest right first, or they would have to put him on trial -- or some vague semblance of a trial? If they just kill him for being shady, then they break guest right, and that's a huge no-no, especially in the North. The season literally opened with Arya taking out the Freys because they violated guest right with her family.

The problem is I don't know if the show currently cares anymore about things like guest right. The sandsnakes didn't.
    Of course, the death needs to be an accident. But facelessmen are experts in that and those stairs in Winterfell are damn slippery, specially in winter. Jaquen did it in Harrenhal.
  • If Arya breaks guestright by killing Littlefinger she might have to be banned from Winterfell/the North by Jon himself. Like he did with Melissandre only with more emotion. Than she can go on as lone wolf with her list.
    I cannot see Arya breaking guest right -- that would be terrible, even for these writers. As Walder Frey, she reminded the Freys that they slaughtered their guests after inviting them into their home. And she subverted the Rat Cook story to punish Walder for violating guest right.

Setting aside the issue of guest right, I want Sansa to have some semblance of a trial / public accusation for Littlefinger because that would be her fully rejecting his and Cersei's influence and becoming the Lady of Winterfell that Catelyn was, but better, because Catelyn seizing Tyrion and putting him on trial for something he did not do set the War of the Five Kings in motion.

• I have a bad feeling it's just gonna be Sansa talking to Littlefinger about Arya and I'm going to wind up hating both of them.
  • @pavlovsbell

Hm, a trial against littlefinger,  lets see. He helped retake and rebuild Winterfell. He supplies troops, food, logistics and information. He's rich. Winter is coming and the North needs food and allies. He's good with ravens. He advised to use Brienne to mediate between the sisters. He openly declared for house Stark before most of the lords in the north did. He reminded Sansa not to forget about the war in the South. He makes expensive presents. He grew up with Cathlyn and married her sister. He is the official lord protector of Sansas cousin and motivated him to help the north. He is a successful military strategist. Most of his men come home again. He is a survivor. He presumably has good contacts to the iron bank. He eats pies. He doesn't trust drunken fools. He sneaks around. He grins alot. He's kind of creepy. Sansa officially helped him cover up Lysas murder. Lord Royce was there and is the commander of the vale forces.

The only person to incriminate him would be the hound who is going to kings landing. To see his beloved brother I guess since he never answered any of his letters. Bran could wheel in and creep everybody out. That will show them.
    There won't be a trial against someone who knows everybodies secrets. Because if Littlefinger thinks he is going down he will try to take everybody with him. That would be complicated to write and take time so I don't think its in the cards anymore.

This discussion has been closed.