Gilly and Little Sam genetics

The user and all related content has been deleted.

Comments

• I think shes just suppose to be uneducated and naive.  I think she just looks funny cuz shes always filthy. when they dolled her up for season 6 she looked cute

KingKobraMichelle
  • All the ChickensAll the Chickens Birmingham, AL
    edited August 2017
    I think they just made her look like a "hillbilly" because she was a wildling who lived in a big incest cabin in the middle of no where, and had no education. Even then she probably looks better than 99% of people did who lived in our medieval era and weren't being pampered by servants.

Inbreeding doesn't cause mutations in and of itself. It just increases the likeliness that two of the same type of genes will be passed to your offspring, and if those 2 genes are "bad" genes then that will increase the likeliness of the child receiving that abnormality or disease. So it's not a good practice and there are certainly reasons that you would want your society to procreate with people outside of just their family or a very small area, but it's not necessarily going to give you a a family of Sloths from The Goonies, even after a few generations. (unless you and your sibling both carry a "sloth" gene).

Outside of going insane, the GoT/ASOIAF universe specifically doesn't seem to care for exploring any of the potential genetic issues of inbreeding. And the insanity seen in a few of the Targaryen Kings and Joffrey could just as easily be attributed to people who have grown up with a silver spoon in their mouth before gaining ultimate power at too young of an age.
    Vasilnate1
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I think shes just suppose to be uneducated and naive.  I think she just looks funny cuz shes always filthy. when they dolled her up for season 6 she looked cute

She did look a lot better but she still sometimes has that dumb expression on her face.

BTW why does the show pair the smartest guy on the show with this dummy? Shouldn't there be some smart nerdy chick for him to hang out with?
    I think she exaggerates her over-bite, and talks with a dim-witted accent also.  good acting

She did look a lot better but she still sometimes has that dumb expression on her face.

BTW why does the show pair the smartest guy on the show with this dummy? Shouldn't there be some smart nerdy chick for him to hang out with?
    She's not dumb, she's ignorant of many things because of her upbringing. Sam was in "savior" mode and Gilly fell for him (most men followed the rules). The "look" is on purpose (deer in headlights) it highlights her characters lack of knowledge. The more she hangs with Sam, the smarter she becomes. Why are you hating on one of the sweetest characters on the show? What do you have against her?!?! It seems you have an agenda to bring down Gilly... Shame!, Shame!, Shame! :p

Vasilnate1webswingerSlytherinSisterweeniegirl
  • Generally, when two characters are paired it's best to have contrast.  One is social, the other is a loner.  One is athletic, the other is clumsy.  One is attractive, the other is plain.  One is knowledgeable, the other is naïve.  This adds different perspectives to the story and creates bits of conflict that can help develop characters.

For instance, Sam has become so focused with finding anything to help against the White Walkers, that he dismisses and ignores her.  How important could anything she's learned be?  It isn't that important at the moment, but when it is, will she remember it or where the passage she read was?   How much more has she read that he might have skipped over?  How much more could she have learned if he had encouraged her more?  The answers to these questions add depth to both characters and create potential plots that we may or may not see. 

• KingKobra said:

I think shes just suppose to be uneducated and naive.  I think she just looks funny cuz shes always filthy. when they dolled her up for season 6 she looked cute

She's not dumb, she's ignorant of many things because of her upbringing. Sam was in "savior" mode and Gilly fell for him (most men followed the rules). The "look" is on purpose (deer in headlights) it highlights her characters lack of knowledge. The more she hangs with Sam, the smarter she becomes. Why are you hating on one of the sweetest characters on the show? What do you have against her?!?! It seems you have an agenda to bring down Gilly... Shame!, Shame!, Shame! :p

I like Gilly just fine. I just don't see why Sam likes her. But I guess she's been there for him a few times, so even if they can't talk science, it's cool. LOL
    Ummm, she gave him the time of day, that is all he needed. Sam was an awkward overweight kid when things started. Gilly responded to his advances. She also has never made fun of him for his weight, smarts, or anything else that others have tortured him with. You're don't always need intellectual equal to be happy.

JaimieTDeegguenotMichelleSlytherinSister
  • KingKobra said:

KingKobra said:

I think shes just suppose to be uneducated and naive.  I think she just looks funny cuz shes always filthy. when they dolled her up for season 6 she looked cute

I like Gilly just fine. I just don't see why Sam likes her. But I guess she's been there for him a few times, so even if they can't talk science, it's cool. LOL
    Ummm, she gave him the time of day, that is all he needed. Sam was an awkward overweight kid when things started. Gilly responded to his advances. She also has never made fun of him for his weight, smarts, or anything else that others have tortured him with. You're don't always need intellectual equal to be happy.

She also banged him, so...
    Vasilnate1KingKobraDeeMichelle
  • Vasilnate1Vasilnate1 Salem, MA
    edited August 2017
    They might be the only two 100% innocent, honest and generally good people in the show. Every other character has some "grey area", or a dark side. Sam and Gilly are genuinely good people. That makes for a good Ship.
    Michelle
  • JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA

Yeah, that's all true, but that's kind of annoying, like if you're chubby but smart the only person who will date you is a person who literally has no education or knowledge and been raped by her own father her whole life? 

Anyway, it's not a big deal, and they seem like one of the only couples on this show who has a true and pure partnership, so I'm not really sure what I am complaining about.
    Honestly, I'm so tired of chubby, smart men getting hot, smart women in film/TV.
    KingKobrapoorfoolSlytherinSister
  • davemcbdavemcb Melbourne
    @akritenbrink it would be safe to assume that Craster is Gilly's Father, Grandfather and depending on how long his had been taking daughter-wives her Great-Grandfather. Apparently the only thing that is truly genetic in Westeros is Hair Colour, looks and if inbred madness but its a flip of coin on that one. It won't end up playing a big part in this series but could in spin offs. 

Its all kinds of gross but not ultimately that cycle has stopped now so the next generation will have a new input of DNA and lineage
  • They might be the only two 100% innocent, honest and generally good people in the show. Every other character has some "grey area", or a dark side. Sam and Gilly are genuinely good people. That makes for a Ship.

You're right. 
    Id put Brienne in that group too.
  • CoryCory New Scotland
    gguenot said:

KingKobra said:

KingKobra said:

She also banged him, so...
    Yep, she took that fat pink mass!
  • LittleLionessLittleLioness Pennsylvania
    JaimieT said:

Yeah, that's all true, but that's kind of annoying, like if you're chubby but smart the only person who will date you is a person who literally has no education or knowledge and been raped by her own father her whole life? 

Anyway, it's not a big deal, and they seem like one of the only couples on this show who has a true and pure partnership, so I'm not really sure what I am complaining about.
    Honestly, I'm so tired of chubby, smart men getting hot, smart women in film/TV.
    As a chubby, smart woman, I want to know where my hot, smart man is.
    MichelleSlytherinSister
  • I have the body of a God and I'm more than happy with my wife.
    Oh the god is budda.
    DeeMichelleLittleLionessbudesigns
  • MichelleMichelle California
    I swear my memory is failing!  When did we learn who little Sam's father was? 
  • When we first meet Gilly she is pregnant with Crasters baby. She went to Sam for help because she was worried about having a son.
    KingKobra
  • LittleLionessLittleLioness Pennsylvania
    I just did my episode rewatch and has anyone else noticed that Little Sam really looks like the actor who played Craster? I wonder if it's his grandson and they were a package deal or it was a rider on his contract
  • @LittleLioness its actually the same actor. They aged him down like Kurt Russell in guardians of the galaxy 2
    DeeKingKobra
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    Don't all white babies look like Robert Pugh?
    KingKobrawebswinger
This discussion has been closed.