Somebody did "the incest math" over on Reddit

Jim and I were trying to gauge which is worse genetically when it comes to cousin fucking or aunt/nephew fucking, and the results are surprising.  Cousins share about 12.5% of their genetic code, while an aunt and nephew would share 25%.  But the Targaryen's are super, super inbred.  This redditor analyzed the family tree and found that Dany and Jon would share a whopping 44% of their DNA.  You're really playing Russian roulette with your blood lines at that point.

The top comments in that thread are a riot.  "Incest is a ladder."  "Chaos is a Targaryen family tree."
KingKobraTravishypergenesbcdriveLittleLionessUnderwoodGredalBee

Comments

• I guess the question would be, could they even have children as supposedly Danny is "barren" and Jon is raised from the dead.....
  • It makes sense considering that aunt & newphew are more closely related than 2 cousins-- an aunt would give birth to the cousin in the cousin v cousin scenario
    LittleLioness
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Considering you share more genes with your father than your mother, if little Sam doesn't grow up with a disorder he'll be lucky.
  • LittleLionessLittleLioness Pennsylvania
    They're going to find out she's not related, that's what I'm sticking with.
    I wonder if "incest math" will be a section of the SAT in a post-ASOIF world.
  • FreddyFreddy Denton, Texas
    Shit... Jon might as well go for it. He already dresses like a damn mountain man.
  • webswingerwebswinger SoCal
    edited August 2017
    How would the book community react if Jon turn out to be Stark and Dayne? In the books not the Show, if they made him a Dayne in the show it would be cheap. Then Jon and Danny won't be related and Jon can be the sword of the morning and get Dawn(The real Lightbringer?). I think he is going to be a Targ in the books but......
  • I think they should adopt anyway you guys.  I feel like Westeros is full of orphans, especially since Cersei killed lots of parrents 
  • @Vasilnate1 they could have a contest. The first 4 or 5 children that Drogon doesn't eat get to be the heirs. The line of succession could be the order that the kid weren't eaten.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • CoryCory New Scotland

I think they should adopt anyway you guys.  I feel like Westeros is full of orphans, especially since Cersei killed lots of parrents 

To be fair... She killed a bunch of kids too!
    She's all about equality!
  • All the ChickensAll the Chickens Birmingham, AL

How would the book community react if Jon turn out to be Stark and Dayne? In the books not the Show, if they made him a Dayne in the show it would be cheap. Then Jon and Danny won't be related and Jon can be the sword of the morning and get Dawn(The real Lightbringer?). I think he is going to be a Targ in the books but......

Given all of the foreshadowing and evidence, anything but Jon being the son of R+L would be an epic wet fart in the books or show. You would be able to hear the sad trombone *wah wah wahhhh* sound effect for thousands of miles around the earth.
    gguenot
  • UnderwoodUnderwood Philadelphia, PA
    Are we sure that incest leads to illness in this universe? There's probably examples that I'm forgetting, but I cant think of any off the top of my head.
    edited August 2017
    Underwood said:

Are we sure that incest leads to illness in this universe? There's probably examples that I'm forgetting, but I cant think of any off the top of my head.

Potential "madness" later in life in only a select few seems to be the only side effect of generational incest within the asoiaf universe. Although incest itself doesn't necessarily cause illness in our own universe. Two healthy, magical humans like Jon and Dany have good enough genetics that they likely wouldn't pass on any bad genetics to their child.

However, if Dany also has a "Knows Nothing" gene, then that child would be in serious trouble. Oh god, just think of the gormless looks that child would shooting at everyone he encounters.
    GredalBeeAlkaid13

Given all of the foreshadowing and evidence, anything but Jon being the son of R+L would be an epic wet fart in the books or show. You would be able to hear the sad trombone *wah wah wahhhh* sound effect for thousands of miles around the earth.
    Again, I'm gonna keep hanging my hat on them (showrunners) taking the way out of having Dany turn out to be some kind of non-Aerys or Blackfyre Targ/Dayne bloodline.  
  • I wonder if "incest math" will be a section of the SAT in a post-ASOIF world.

well, you have to know them all, starting with the basics:  additincest, substractincest, multiplicatincest, divisincest, all the way up to differincestual equations and linear aunt's'a bra.  
    Schlupp
  • Underwood said:

Joffrey
    KingKobra
  • Are we sure that incest leads to illness in this universe? There's probably examples that I'm forgetting, but I cant think of any off the top of my head.
    aerys ii & others:  http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Targaryen_madness#Mad_Targaryens

arguably viserys and joffrey

barristan put it like this:

I am no maester to quote history at you, Your Grace. Swords have been my life, not books. But every child knows that the Targaryens have always danced too close to madness. Your father was not the first. King Jaehaerys once told me that madness and greatness are two sides of the same coin. Every time a new Targaryen is born, he said, the gods toss the coin in the air and the world holds its breath to see how it will land.

it could be something else in the targaryen blood that leads to this, but certainly the incest would double-down on it...
    KingKobraUnderwood
    voodoorat said:

aerys ii & others:  http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Targaryen_madness#Mad_Targaryens

arguably viserys and joffrey

barristan put it like this:

I am no maester to quote history at you, Your Grace. Swords have been my life, not books. But every child knows that the Targaryens have always danced too close to madness. Your father was not the first. King Jaehaerys once told me that madness and greatness are two sides of the same coin. Every time a new Targaryen is born, he said, the gods toss the coin in the air and the world holds its breath to see how it will land.

it could be something else in the targaryen blood that leads to this, but certainly the incest would double-down on it...

Aerion "Brightflame".

Underwood said:

Potential "madness" later in life in only a select few seems to be the only side effect of generational incest within the asoiaf universe. Although incest itself doesn't necessarily cause illness in our own universe. Two healthy, magical humans like Jon and Dany have good enough genetics that they likely wouldn't pass on any bad genetics to their child.

However, if Dany also has a "Knows Nothing" gene, then that child would be in serious trouble. Oh god, just think of the gormless looks that child would shooting at everyone he encounters.
    By that metric I'm convinced that the majority of CEOs and politicians are the product of incest.
    GredalBee
  • well, not the only side-effect...  maegor the monstrous blackfyre had two heads.
  • Jim and I were trying to gauge which is worse genetically when it comes to cousin fucking or aunt/nephew fucking, and the results are surprising.  Cousins share about 12.5% of their genetic code, while an aunt and nephew would share 25%.  But the Targaryen's are super, super inbred.  This redditor analyzed the family tree and found that Dany and Jon would share a whopping 44% of their DNA.  You're really playing Russian roulette with your blood lines at that point.

The top comments in that thread are a riot.  "Incest is a ladder."  "Chaos is a Targaryen family tree."
    Good thing Leanna dilutes it down to 44%.  To quote Garth Ennis' Preacher- "you can't f*** your sister and expect much good to come of it."
    GredalBee
    Podrick Payne has a third leg. This could be attributed to inbreeding.
    voodooratGredalBee
  • edited August 2017
    Well, Jon apparently has no libido outside of caves or underground structures, so maybe we're overthinking it? Can't have incest baby if you can't perform.

Dee
  • There's lots of caves for him to perform in, there's one under both Dragonstone and King's landing, arguably the crypts at Winterfell are also caves. Clearly they'll just have to move the royal bedroom downstairs by the dragon skulls once they're married. I don't think it matters much though, I believe one or both of them will be dead for real before the series is over.
    voodoorat said:

well, not the only side-effect...  maegor the monstrous blackfyre had two heads.

Oh, there's another head somewhere in there. I'm sure of it.
    GredalBee
  • jluzaniajluzania Denver
    edited August 2017
    On the bright side, the show apparently omitted Jaehaerys II from the family tree, making Aerys the son instead of grandson of Aegon V, so there's one brother-sister breeding eliminated. So maybe a little less than 44% in the show canon. 
This discussion has been closed.