Jessica Jones (contains spoilers)

akritenbrinkakritenbrink Lynnwood, WA (Seattle area)
edited March 9 in Other TV
Is Jessica Jones a good show even if you're not into comics and superheroes per se? I don't get into all that stuff but some of it i like.

Comments

• Is Jessica Jones a good show even if you're not into comics and superheroes per se? I don't get into all that stuff but some of it i like.

IMO definitely.  It's not really superhero-y.

Without spoiling, the comic is about a female hero who suffers a particular tragedy, ends up walking away from being a superhero and instead becomes a private eye.

The show is about her trying to establish her P-I business, dealing with the emotional trauma of what she experienced and how that haunts her.

akritenbrink
  • JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    I LOVE Jessica Jones and I've been thinking about rewatching. There are 3-4 slow episodes in the middle, but otherwise it's fantastic. And I hate superhero shit.
    akritenbrinkElisa
  • Definitely worth a look. It covers topics that few shows will touch and I think does a good job. Like every Marvel Netflix show, it's a few episodes too long, but I'd say give it a start and see what you think.
    akritenbrinkJaimieT
  • Doctor_NickDoctor_Nick Terminus
    edited August 2017
    It has a great setup, even though I'm not a huge fan of psionic based comics or genres myself. Lot of emotional trauma. But I thought several characters start acting unnaturally in about the middle of the show and it sort of took me out of it.
    akritenbrinkBrawn
  • Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA
    It'd have reached stellar level if they could have whittled everything down to 6-8 episodes. As it stands, it is just like other Marvel Netflix shows. Really bloated, with tons of filler that brings the entire season down. 
    Elisa
  • akritenbrinkakritenbrink Lynnwood, WA (Seattle area)
    I don't mind if it's not 100% perfect. I will probably watch it while crocheting anyway.
  • Is this going to be the thread for season 2?  I know the guys thought it was a mess, but I loved season 1 and I am SO STOKED to binge the new one!
  • lengmolengmo RTP, NC
    Is Jessica Jones a good show even if you're not into comics and superheroes per se? I don't get into all that stuff but some of it i like.
    Yes, I think season 1 can appeal to a lot of different audiences.  I like it for (among other reasons) the hard-boiled PI-style dialogue from Jessica, to others it might be a paranormal romance of a kind, or of course a superhero show.
    I did end up trying this out, but I didn't like it.
    Elisa
    edited March 8

You mean season 2? I fear there's too much other superhero junk involved now; it'll be less charming.
    edited March 8
    Plus they're going to have to be really creative with the villain/antagonist (I know nothing about actual comic book plot lines involving Jessica Jones).  Killgrave was a pretty great villain, the show is not half as good without that whole setup.

JaimieT said:

You mean season 2? I fear there's too much other superhero junk involved now; it'll be less charming.

• Plus they're going to have to be really creative with the villain/antagonist (I know nothing about actual comic book plot lines involving Jessica Jones).  Killgrave was a pretty great villain, the show is not half as good without that whole setup.

JaimieT said:

Killgrave was actually in the comics, except he has purple skin!  I wasn't mad that they didn't choose to make David Tennant purple for the show, tho.
    Yeah, I know Killgrave was the Purple Man, but I am ignorant of whether Jessica Jones has other interesting antagonists.  Because the equivalent of say, Diamondback, would be disappointing.  
  • I don't think the character has her own rogue's gallery, so to speak, but the show COULD draw from a deep roster of c-list street-level villains found in other comics like Daredevil (as they actually did with Purple Man in the first place).
    Septa Nutella
  • edited March 9
    Just started watching season 2.  First impressions: thirteen episodes?  Come on, Marvel, will you ever learn?
  • Yeah, for all that Netflix seasons *should* mean they can make them as short as necessary, instead they are 2x as long as they should be.

The season of Torchwood after Children of Earth had the same problem. 5-7 episodes of good story splattered across 10 episodes.
  • Frakkin TFrakkin T Currently Offline
    @akritenbrink May I ask a favor? Will you decide if this is a spoiler thread and edit the title? I'm busting through the series this weekend and don't want to get spoiled in case others are ahead. Thanks!

Also I am super excited about this. DD was great but JJ season 1 is my favorite so far. I watched the first episode last night and it was great.
    JaimieT said:

I watched about half of season 1 pretty soon after I wrote this thread and quit.
    JaimieT said:

I watched about half of season 1 pretty soon after I wrote this thread and quit.

Looks like I'm skipping it then. 
  • I really enjoyed season one but i started watching the first ep of season two last night, got bored and turned it off. The only thing that caught my interest at all was that Terry Chen who plays Prax on the Expanse is in it. I'll probably go back and watch to see what they do with his character and if they make JJ more interesting. 
    JaimieT said:
    JaimieT said:

I think you already watched what I watched, based on your comment above.
  • edited March 11
    I was really looking forward to this but unfortunately it was pretty meh. The plot felt forced and dragged out at the same time, there were hardly any character developments that felt right or earned. Also too much tell don't show with dialogs where one character stares into nothingness, picks up a random item and tells the other about their grand emotional connection from the past like :
    "Remember how you used to love strawberry milkshakes, you looked so adorable, like you were holding a whole universe of possibilities in your hand. *artificial silence* Right, so do you already feel the deep connection we have that is not  at all apparent in the way we interact with each other?
     Remember the barbecue Rick, most of the characters  reminded me of alian parasites.

Still a cut above the Defenders, Luke Cage and Iron Fist for me.
    JaimieT
  • lengmolengmo RTP, NC
    edited March 11
    Just finished season 2.  It's a drama this time around, not a thriller like season 1.  Smartly woman-focused, unlike the train wreck that was season 2 of Agent Carter.  Mother/daughter conflict, sisterly rivalry, metoo situations, etc. etc. are all explored.  I hope there's a women-only or woman-led podcasts about this season as I'd like to hear how this season worked for them.  The hard-boiled dialog is back and Rachael Taylor shines as her character gets put through the wringer by her own demons.  Looking forward to seeing what happens with her character and Jessica in season 3.

JaimieT said:
    JaimieT said:

Doh. My eyes read season 2.
  • JaimieT said:
    JaimieT said:
    JaimieT said:

Under your eyes. ;-)
    JaimieT
    Schlupp said:
    JaimieT said:
    JaimieT said:
    JaimieT said:

Under your eyes. ;-)

That show's more @akritenbrink's thing. ;)
    akritenbrinkSchlupp
  • kingbee67kingbee67 Los Angeles Ca.
    Went thru three episodes and lost interest. If you guys say it picks up I’ll give it another shot. I read the original series of books by Bendis. I thought the Kilgrave character was pretty menacing. I just didn’t see much danger in season 2 so far.
  • I'm just about to start episode 9, and am loving it.  
    lengmo
  • I am a few episodes into season 2 and I'm not sure if I can make it through. Especially now I know they went 13 episodes. Not sure there is even enough plot for 10.

<Mild Spoiler>

The confrontation and subsequent arrest and pending lawsuit seems so dumb. During every scene afterwards all that went through my mind is "What crap writing. Couldn't they have done better?" Do I need to re-watch that? He seemed as much as a combatant as her. He even tased her.

• lengmolengmo RTP, NC
    @CapeGabe let's just say you don't have to worry about your spoiler.  But like I mentioned above, season 2 is a drama, and IMO it's clearly aimed at women.  You may find this season just isn't for you, and that's OK.  Things are happening but this season is definitely more about character development, relationships, etc. than was season 1.  Focus on Trish's character arc is my suggestion if you are having trouble getting into this season.  I liked the season, and it sets up a great season 3, but as a guy season 1 > season 2.