Why didn't Jon mention the sword?

What does everyone think about this? It easily could be an oversight by the Double D's. But my in universe explanation is going that he killed a white walker with it. If I were him, and I had a weapon that, for all I know is the only thing other than dragonglass that can kill white walkers, and Lady Mormont asked for it back I would answer "NOT GON' BE ABLE TO DO IT" (To quote the American philosopher, Jalen Rose).  

Now that Jorah is going north of the Wall with him you could make an argument that Jon should give it to him. But I would counter that not only did Jeor personally give Jon the sword but Jorah disgraced his house and Jon knows that. Jon is the head general in war against the Night King, he needs to survive this expedition and thus should have the valyerian steel. A good general (which I'll admit, Jon isn't always) would know that. I'm totally fine with him keeping it to himself. 

Comments

• I don't think Jorah has any right to the sword. The last owner gave it to him, even made it more his by putting the wolf head pommel on it.

It belongs to Jon, Jon showing it to Jorah would just rub his face in it.
    DaKingInCleveland
  • pavlovsbellpavlovsbell Brooklyn, NY
    edited August 2017

What does everyone think about this? It easily could be an oversight by the Double D's. But my in universe explanation is going that he killed a white walker with it. If I were him, and I had a weapon that, for all I know is the only thing other than dragonglass that can kill white walkers, and Lady Mormont asked for it back I would answer "NOT GON' BE ABLE TO DO IT" (To quote the American philosopher, Jalen Rose).  

Now that Jorah is going north of the Wall with him you could make an argument that Jon should give it to him. But I would counter that not only did Jeor personally give Jon the sword but Jorah disgraced his house and Jon knows that. Jon is the head general in war against the Night King, he needs to survive this expedition and thus should have the valyerian steel. A good general (which I'll admit, Jon isn't always) would know that. I'm totally fine with him keeping it to himself. 
    This is basically what I thought last season when people were criticizing Jon for not bringing up the sword to Lyanna Mormont when he first met her. Now that Jon has a mountain of dragonglass at his fingertips, I would expect him to offer it to the House to which it belongs, because Longclaw is a priceless family heirloom of House Mormont, and Jon would wonder what Ned would do.

Kit Harington said that he played Jon as being bewildered by Daenerys and Jorah, because as far as Jon knows, Jorah disgraced his House by engaging in the slave trade, and Daenerys' whole thing is freeing slaves. Perhaps if Jorah proves his honor to Jon on the stupid wight heist, Jon will offer Longclaw to him.

But I can't imagine Jorah accepting Longclaw. Jon without Longclaw is like Arthur without Excalibur. 
    DaKingInClevelandElisa
  • Kit Harington said that he played Jon as being bewildered by Daenerys and Jorah, because as far as Jon knows, Jorah disgraced his House by engaging in the slave trade, and Daenerys' whole thing is freeing slaves. Perhaps if Jorah proves his honor to Jon on the stupid wight heist, Jon will offer Longclaw to him.

I did not know that, very interesting. Makes sense.
  • What does everyone think about this? It easily could be an oversight by the Double D's. But my in universe explanation is going that he killed a white walker with it. If I were him, and I had a weapon that, for all I know is the only thing other than dragonglass that can kill white walkers, and Lady Mormont asked for it back I would answer "NOT GON' BE ABLE TO DO IT" (To quote the American philosopher, Jalen Rose).  

This is basically what I thought last season when people were criticizing Jon for not bringing up the sword to Lyanna Mormont when he first met her. Now that Jon has a mountain of dragonglass at his fingertips, I would expect him to offer it to the House to which it belongs, because Longclaw is a priceless family heirloom of House Mormont, and Jon would wonder what Ned would do.

Kit Harington said that he played Jon as being bewildered by Daenerys and Jorah, because as far as Jon knows, Jorah disgraced his House by engaging in the slave trade, and Daenerys' whole thing is freeing slaves. Perhaps if Jorah proves his honor to Jon on the stupid wight heist, Jon will offer Longclaw to him.

But I can't imagine Jorah accepting Longclaw. Jon without Longclaw is like Arthur without Excalibur. 
    Jorah gets longclaw, Jon gets oathkeeper or Dawn, Brienne keeps oathkeeper of gets Dawn. Hound gets heartsbane, Arya keeps Catspaw/ gets Darksister

• cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    edited August 2017
    Did anyone see if Sam took his sword with him in that wagon he rode off in? We were looking for it, rewatching in slomo. That's another fine Valyrean steel sword.
  • cdrive said:

Did anyone see if Sam took his sword with him in that wagon he rode off in? We were looking for it, rewatching in slomo. That's another fine Valyrean steel sword.

We can guess "yes", but it's not something that would probably showcase in this episode.
  • cdrive said:

That's even supposed to be a Valyrian Greatsword. I would give it to the hound or make two normal swords out of it like ice. Gendry with the maesters help should be able to do it.

cdrive
  • Schlupp said:

cdrive said:

That's even supposed to be a Valyrian Greatsword. I would give it to the hound or make two normal swords out of it like ice. Gendry with the maesters help should be able to do it.

Orrrrrr someone like Gendry.......
  • Gendry doesn't know how to use a sword, so he would need to make a war hammer. Hartsbane is an ancestral sword and shouldn't be melted down.
  • Gendry doesn't know how to use a sword, so he would need to make a war hammer. Hartsbane is an ancestral sword and shouldn't be melted down.

He dosent need to know how to use them, just how to make them.....
    edited August 2017
    My longstanding hope is that Brienne and Jaime fight side by side with Oathkeeper and Widow's Wail. I'm clinging to that.

@Schlupp  Maybe Gendry could reforge Heartsbane into a sword for Jorah and an axe for Sandor, since he seems to prefer an axe most of all. Then we could have different types of Valyrian steel weapons: sword, dagger, axe... maybe Gendry's war hammer could be refashioned with Valyrian steel. Now that I'm typing this, it sounds too RPG.

Maybe they just find a way to kill the army of the dead and the Night King within the first half of S8, and we can go back to the regular GoT in the back half. That's what I would prefer, but I think the show is more interested in spectacle.
    darwinfeeshycdriveGredalBee
    edited August 2017
    Ooh, check out the cool hilt on Heartsbane. It has the Tarly huntsman hunting the sigils of other great houses. The Heartsbane in the show does not look like a two-handed greatsword like Ice, though. It looks about the normal size of a longsword.
    cdrive
  • edited August 2017
    @pavlovsbell
    The hilt looks great but I think you're right, in the show it's probably "just" a regular sword. Gendry might be able to reforge valyrian steel but in the show it's unclear if his smith master Tobho Mott could have told  him since Ice is melted down by a crew from volantis. The maesters at Oldtown should at least now how to reforge small amounts since they sometime  forge links for their chain out of it. This could have beeen another great project for Sam alongside making dragonglass into weapons to make an impression on the maesters but I guess he is busy running away. And to create a dragonglass weapon you obviously just have to put a sharp end to a stick and you're done.
    I seriously hope they didn't imply that if the knight king is killed anyone else including white walkers he has turned just drops. I don't want an avengers finale for this, they really need to kill of main characters to raise the stakes again.

P.S: If there is a one golden shot solution for the white walker problem at least let Qyburn come up with it like a semiautomatic dragonglass ballista on a dragon or something. :-)

• I'm hoping that many of the conversations we didn't get at the initial meeting last week will be happening in this week's episode. That would include Jon and Jorah discussing his Mormont status and Gendry discussing Arya with Jon and/or the Hound. I think some part of Sandor would be pleased to know she's alive and back in Winterfell.
  • edited August 2017
    I wondered about that meeting, but from Jorah's point of view.  You served with my Father? You must have been at The Wall.  What's a crow like you doing in Dragonstone besides stealing my dragon ass? From Jorah's point of view, it must be strange that the last two men who served with his Father are nowhere near the wall or wear the black.
    voodoorat
This discussion has been closed.