SANDWICHES!

ChinaskiChinaski Santa Cruz, CA
like the burrito thread.. what's in your sandwich?

type of bread, protein, cheese, veggies, and spread. also, chips on the side? if so, what kind?
cdrivedarwinfeeshyMichelleTravis

Comments

• edited August 2017
    Reubens 4 life!!!

But for my basic sandwiches, I would say Dave's killer bread, smoked turkey breast, avocado, bacon, pepper jack, mayo (preferably chipotle mayo), lettuce, and tomato.
    ChinaskicdrivepavlovsbellMichelleMofojones333
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    edited August 2017
    We're goin' boatin' tomorrow and we already have 4 banh mis purchased and ready to throw in a cooler. We've done banh mis tubing down the Guadalupe when we were kids and they are the jam.
    ChinaskiakritenbrinkAlkaid13jazzminawaMichelleMofojones333
    Reubens. Anything with pastrami of corn beef. The Italian beef sammie from Al's Beef in Chicago is a sneak-away must. A really fresh BLT.
    darwinfeeshypavlovsbellMichelleMofojones333
  • BLT made with tomatoes from my garden. Grill the bread (a quality white bread) in the bacon grease. Don't skimp with the mayo.

cdriveChinaskiakritenbrinkpavlovsbellMichelle
  • ChinaskiChinaski Santa Cruz, CA
    ohhh now we talkin' hot sandwiches.. so you go Reuben over French Dip? i'm not a fan of Rye bread so gotta go French Dip.. meanwhile, meatball and cuban sandwiches are side eying me..
    cdrivedarwinfeeshyAlkaid13MichelleTravisMofojones333
  • cuuuban
    Alkaid13MichelleTravis
  • i don't eat many sammiches these days tho...
    MrX said:

hot damn! welcome to the party MrX!
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    I don't really eat sandwiches much - Adelaide does not know how to make a good sandwich and I can't usually be arsed making my own. I have a toasted cheese one now and then and that's about as exciting as it gets.

Occasionally, though, I'll get a hankering for a bacon sarnie, but it has to be just so. White sliced bread (only time I ever eat it - usually I prefer dark grainy ones or sourdough) buttered with Lurpak butter, crispy bacon (my local market has a free range one that is triple the price of supermarket bacon but is totally worth it) and Lea & Perrins Worcestershire sauce. I only eat them three or four times a year, but it's the best.
    Michelle
  • akritenbrinkakritenbrink Lynnwood, WA (Seattle area)
    My husband has a gift for making sandwiches. Today he made me a sandwich on a torta bun with chicken, pickles, a little lettuce, pickles, mayo and mustard. Nothing Earth shattering but I was doing yard work and it was nicer than I would have made myself.

I also like Jimmy John's #16 with peppers! And a good club sandwich every now and then doesn't hurt.
    Michelle
    @Dee - what about this vegemite i've heard so much about?
    DeeMichelle
    Do quesadillas count? If so I'd like to change my answer.
    Michelle
    Quesadilla?!?

soup nazi - No sandwich for you next
    akritenbrinkpavlovsbelldarwinfeeshyMichelleNoel
    Ok. How about tortas? Yum yum
    MrXcdriveAlkaid13MichelleNoel
  • pavlovsbellpavlovsbell Brooklyn, NY
    edited August 2017
    Another vote for reubens. My favorite sandwich of all time.

I love hot sandwiches: My favorite to make is roast beef, caramelized onions, smoked cheddar or mozzarella, horseradish mayo, and fig jam on french bread. 

I also love simple sandwiches like grilled cheese, preferably with tomatoes, or if I'm walking past a good deli: liverwurst and onions on rye. A good BLT can be sublime.
    Michelle
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    Chinaski said:

@Dee - what about this vegemite i've heard so much about?

Kids eat Vegemite sandwiches. Grown ups have it on toast.
    Chinaski
  • cdrive said:

We're goin' boatin' tomorrow and we already have 4 banh mis purchased and ready to throw in a cooler. We've done banh mis tubing down the Guadalupe when we were kids and they are the jam.

Love Banh Mi's. My Wife is Viet and can make some killer Banh MI's.

My personal Favourite though is breakfast sandwiches. Egg, cheese, ham on a muffin.

For lunch I'm pretty simple. Ham and cheese with lettuce and mayo on a healthy bread.
    cdriveChinaskipavlovsbelljazzminawaMichelleAww_PHuuCk
  • Let's not leave out the best damn sandwich:

pavlovsbell
  • Gyro's all day! 

and sometimes for breakfast I make French toast sandwichs 
    pavlovsbellAlkaid13Michelle
    what about the day after Thanksgiving leftovers sandwich? yes please!
    cdriveTaraC73MichelleTravis

Oh, gyros! And po' boys, too. And how could I forget shawarma... and falafel with tahini in pita?

@Vasilnate1  French toast sandwich? Do tell. That reminds me that I loved getting Monte Christos at Bennigans when I was a kid. Do they still have those. Is Bennigans even still around?
    cdriveMichelle

That reminds me that I loved getting Monte Christos at Bennigans when I was a kid. Do they still have those. Is Bennigans even still around?
    ha! i use to work by one in my 20's in Santa Clara and an old roommate/co-worker would get super stoned and swear by the Monte Christo there.
    pavlovsbellMichelleMofojones333
    ^oh shit fried Oyster po' boy!!!!

What have you done @Chinaski !?
    pavlovsbellMichelle
  • Vasilnate1Vasilnate1 Salem, MA
    edited August 2017

Oh, gyros! And po' boys, too. And how could I forget shawarma... and falafel with tahini in pita?

@Vasilnate1  French toast sandwich? Do tell. That reminds me that I loved getting Monte Christos at Bennigans when I was a kid. Do they still have those. Is Bennigans even still around?
    it is basically a monte christo, the Bennigans ones are ham turkey and cheese, on 3 pieces of bread, then deep fried(I worked at one during college).  I usually just put sausage or bacon and cheese between 2 pieces of bread press together dunk in the egg wash and cook on a griddle.  I eat them with a fork and maple syrup.  It's also kinda like a Crouque-Madame, which is a ham and cheese frenchtoast sandwich with a sunny side egg on top.   and yeah shawarmas are awesome to, I get Mamoun's every time I go the city, cuz I like the Comedy Cellar

crouque-madame
    pavlovsbellMichelle
    cdrive said:

What have you done @Chinaski !?

i'm a sucker for a good grocery store deli sandwich. soft french bread, turkey, bacon, cheddar, jack, lettuce, pickles, avocado, mayo. and side of NY cheddar kettle chips. i'm good to go!
    cdrivepavlovsbellakritenbrinkMichelleNoel
  • nothin fancy - but, I love a good chicken salad
    akritenbrinkMichelle

it is basically a monte christo, the Bennigans ones are ham turkey and cheese, on 3 pieces of bread, then deep fried(I worked at one during college).  I usually just put sausage or bacon and cheese between 2 pieces of bread press together dunk in the egg wash and cook on a griddle.  I eat them with a fork and maple syrup.  It's also kinda like a Crouque-Madame, which is a ham and cheese frenchtoast sandwich with a sunny side egg on top.   and yeah shawarmas are awesome to, I get Mamoun's every time I go the city, cuz I like the Comedy Cellar

crouque-madame
    Mmm, that sounds delicious. Ah, Mamoun's -- and the Comedy Cellar! I love the Comedy Cellar, but I haven't been there in forever.

Thanks to this thread, I now have a hankering for sandwiches and stand up.
    THIS QUESTION IS TOO HARD!!!!!
    pavlovsbellcdrivedarwinfeeshyMichelleMofojones333
  • Italian beef sandwiches from Portillos is heaven. So good.
    akritenbrinkcdrivenatonya
    What about a Cheese Frenchie? I haven't had one of those in forever. Maybe it's a Midwest thing.
    Chinaski