SANDWICHES!

Comments

• ChinaskiChinaski Santa Cruz, CA
    cheese frenchie? never heard of or had. just looked it up.. looks like a grilled cheese that works out with good genetics!

now to a sandwich that i've heard of and never had (but will one day!).. a kentucky hot brown! who's had the pleasure?

• Pastrami, swiss and good mustard on an egg bagel
    Michelle
  • taco's are sandwiches right? cuz TACOS fuckin' rock
    Michelle
    edited August 2017
    TACOS!?!
    Image result for no sandwich for youimage
    Michelle
  • pavlovsbellpavlovsbell Brooklyn, NY
    Okay, but what kind of mayonnaise?

Duke's, if I can find it. Hellman's, if I can't.
  • ^^yeah, IDK?...I like to push boundries.

Okay, but what kind of mayonnaise?

never heard of Duke's. grocery store mayo i normally go Smart Balance. i'm sure it's neother 'smart' or 'balanced'.. but i like it.
    pavlovsbell
  • Okay, but what kind of mayonnaise?

homemade
    pavlovsbell
  • Guilty pleasure: egg salad sandwich.
    cdriveMichelle
  • TaraC73TaraC73 Manchester NH
    I don't eat many sandwiches anymore (gastric bypass two yrs ago... my new belly is super small and bread fills it up quick!) but a few of my favorites:
    - Grilled cheese and tomatoes
    - roast beef w/ mayo pickles and provolone on a fresh sub roll
    - grilled peanut butter and banana on thin sliced sourdough
    - BLTM - bacon lettuce tomato and fresh mozzarella slices drizzled with balsamic on rye toast
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    Kewpie Mayo for us
    pavlovsbell
  • kingbee67kingbee67 Los Angeles Ca.
    edited August 2017
    They have at least 2 Portillo's in Southern California. My mom talked about going there when she worked in the Chicago area back in the sixties. One of there locations is about 6 miles from me. There specialty is hotdogs but the Italian beef sandwich really stands out for me. I have turned on about a dozen people to that place and I bet they have got a few converts in too.
    The Italian Beef is just a beef dip with seasoned beef they have a few choices on how you can have it. I get mine dipped with hot peppers. They also got great burgers and other items. If your lucky enough to have one near go there now! There is a place in L.A. that claims to have invented the French Dip but there is no where near Portillo's.

Also a great place for a Ruben would be Canters Deli in the Fairfax part of L.A. across from Farmers Market and CBS it is a city landmark. Although the price has risen with the hipster factor over the years.

I like making Italian sausage sandwich's every once in a while. Grilling the sausage and dumping sauce on it with onions and peppers that I grill also. Don't forget the mozzarella cheese maybe a sprinkle of parm.

edit: I see some else mentioned Portillos I would have say ditto to that.

HatorianChinaskiMichellepavlovsbell
  • BrieanneBrieanne California
    My favorite is a good breakfast sandwich.

Bacon, an over easy egg fried in the bacon grease, pepper jack cheese, a sauce of srirachia mixed with mayo, on toasted potato bread.

The best bite is when you get to the runny yolk in the middle...so good.
    DeeChinaskiMichellepavlovsbellNoel
  • OldGriswoldOldGriswold Brooklyn
    edited August 2017
    This specific blog always resonated with me.
    I think moreso because I didn't realise the differences between UK and USA as much until I lived here

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2015/may/05/how-to-eat-a-cheese-sandwich
    ChinaskiMichellepavlovsbell
  • A good grilled cheese is nice for lunch, I feel like gyros are more wraps than sandwiches.
    pavlovsbell
    @kingbee67 - Portillos has made it's way to Califormia?! whaaaa?! i absolutely fell in love with that place the one time I visited Chicago. i dated a girl from Downers Grove which is where the owner is from I believe. heck, i think i still have a Portillo's shirt somewhere.

@OldGriswold - that's a good read!
  • Chinaski said:

@kingbee67 - Portillos has made it's way to Califormia?! whaaaa?! i absolutely fell in love with that place the one time I visited Chicago. i dated a girl from Downers Grove which is where the owner is from I believe. heck, i think i still have a Portillo's shirt somewhere.

Chinaski said:

they also do US delivery for their beef. You can buy a bag of beef delivered to the 48 continental states. Trust me check it outS
  • HatorianHatorian Dagobah
    edited August 2017
    It's also debatable whether it's a sandwhixh but if you can find a good pizza puff there the shit.

My ranking. After some more thouggt

1. Italian beef sandwich with a complete covering of Morz
    2. Breakfast sandwiches
    3. Club sandwich with chicken, mayo,
    Cheese, extra bread slice in the middle, real crunchy tomatoe, bacon
    3. Grilled ham and cheese
    4. Cold hand and cheeese with mayo and lettuce
    5. Grilled cheese with bacon
    6. Turkey, cheese mayo and lettuce
    7. Pizza puff
    8. Banh Mi
    9 rice paper roll with shrimp
    10. Lobster roll
    11. Tuna with celery
    12. BLM: bacon lettuce mayo with extra extra bacon

Favourite breads for. Sandwiches: wheat, multigrain, focaccia, white, Italian, eye.

I grew up on school sandwiches, my mom would pack me a sandwhich, chips, a sweet. A note and a drink. Best Mom ever.
    ChinaskiMichellepavlovsbell
    @Hatorian - you my friend.. have excellent taste and an even more excellent mother!
    Hatorian
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    What is with you Americans and mayonnaise.
    Michellepavlovsbellcdrive
  • MichelleMichelle California
    I miss sandwiches so much!  I can't eat bread anymore since my surgery, but - when I could - my absolute favorite was turkey, avocado, bacon, sprouts, cream cheese, and mayo on wheat bread.  *So* good!
    pavlovsbell
  • I have to chime in because my boyfriend and I had the bright idea to make crab, artichoke, and spinach dip and make a grilled cheese out of it the other day. Put it on crusty sourdough and it turned out beautifully. 

But as far as regular sandwiches go breakfast is top (on a bagel!), and grilled cheese a close second. 

ChinaskiMichellepavlovsbellnatonyacdriveTravis
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    Michelle said:

I miss sandwiches so much!  I can't eat bread anymore since my surgery, but - when I could - my absolute favorite was turkey, avocado, bacon, sprouts, cream cheese, and mayo on wheat bread.  *So* good!

Is it that you don't eat bread or that it's just too much food? If it's the former you could just whack all that in between two sturdy lettuce leaves.

• kingbee67kingbee67 Los Angeles Ca.
    edited August 2017
    Gotta add Lee's Sandwich chain. A Vietnamese sandwich (Banh Mi) chain that makes sandwiches on fresh made baguettes. I stick to the BBQ pork sandwich. The thing about there sandwiches is they are simple. light spread, cilantro a raw sliced jalapeno and your choice of meat or veggies on the thin baguette. A lot of Vietnamese restaurants offer sandwiches on there menus my friends parents had a restaurant in the eighties that made them. Now a days I usually I go to lees for them.

Image result for lee's sandwichesimage
    MichelleVasilnate1cdriveTravis
    Dee said:

Michelle said:

Is it that you don't eat bread or that it's just too much food? If it's the former you could just whack all that in between two sturdy lettuce leaves.

I can't have bread at all, because my stomach is now the size of a ping pong ball and the bread swells, so....   What you suggested is a great idea though.  Apparently a lot of people who have had this surg. eat their sandwiches that way now.  I haven't tried it yet - I may someday though!
    DeeTaraC73
    edited July 2018

TaraC73 said:

I don't eat many sandwiches anymore (gastric bypass two yrs ago... my new belly is super small and bread fills it up quick!) but a few of my favorites:
    - Grilled cheese and tomatoes
    - roast beef w/ mayo pickles and provolone on a fresh sub roll
    - grilled peanut butter and banana on thin sliced sourdough
    - BLTM - bacon lettuce tomato and fresh mozzarella slices drizzled with balsamic on rye toast

I totally forgot that you're my GB buddy here!  Thank goodness someone else can relate.
    And ffs, this thread is making me hungry though!  lol
    Dee said:

What is with you Americans and mayonnaise.

What is it with you Aussies and Vegemite?  lol    :)    (jk)

Mayo is *life* on a good sandwich. 
    pavlovsbellTaraC73
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    @Michelle Haha, Vegemite isn't a condiment though - we aren't slathering it on with everything else. Although a good sourdough toast and Vegemite with avocado is the duck's nuts. ;-)
    MichellepavlovsbellDummy