SANDWICHES!

Comments

• DeeDee Adelaide
    @Michelle I guess the nearest thing we have to an iconic condiment is tomato sauce (ketchup).

I rarely use it though, I hate the smell of it. Poor Lily grew up deprived of that particular Aussie staple.
    Michelle
  • MichelleMichelle California
    Dying over your profile pic, @Dee!
    Dee
  • pavlovsbellpavlovsbell Brooklyn, NY
    edited August 2017
    Dee said:

What is with you Americans and mayonnaise.

Mayonnaise is delicious. I think the Japanese love it even more than we do because they drizzle Kewpie on things I wouldn't think to put mayo on. I like Kewpie, and sometimes I use a smidgeon of it to boost umami, but it's too sweet for me to use as a replacement for mayonnaise.
    Dee
  • TaraC73TaraC73 Manchester NH
    Michelle said:

TaraC73 said:

I don't eat many sandwiches anymore (gastric bypass two yrs ago... my new belly is super small and bread fills it up quick!) but a few of my favorites:
    - Grilled cheese and tomatoes
    - roast beef w/ mayo pickles and provolone on a fresh sub roll
    - grilled peanut butter and banana on thin sliced sourdough
    - BLTM - bacon lettuce tomato and fresh mozzarella slices drizzled with balsamic on rye toast

I totally forgot that you're my GP buddy here!  Thank goodness someone else can relate.
    And ffs, this thread is making me hungry though!  lol
    I forgot too!!! I actually get a lettuce bun at Red Robin for my burger :) I can eat some bread, like a couple of bites of a sub roll. I can also eat pbj - one slice of bread folded in half, no crusts (like a 3 year old LOL!!) last night we went out to eat at this place that has the yummiest rolls and whipped butter. I ate three bites it was heaven!
    Michelle
  • NoelNoel Dallas, TX
    Dee said:

Count me out, I can't stand mayo.

On another note, what's an extremely memorable sandwich experience for everyone? For me it was having this incredible Cuban sandwich in Little Havana, Miami. I can't remember the little shop's name but I can always remember that no other Cuban sandwich has ever come close.
    pavlovsbellDee
    Noel said:

Dee said:

Count me out, I can't stand mayo.

On another note, what's an extremely memorable sandwich experience for everyone? For me it was having this incredible Cuban sandwich in Little Havana, Miami. I can't remember the little shop's name but I can always remember that no other Cuban sandwich has ever come close.
    The first time I had Momofuku's pork buns, I almost died they were so delicious.

• Vasilnate1Vasilnate1 Salem, MA
    edited August 2017

Discuss-
    Travis
  • Vasilnate1Vasilnate1 Salem, MA
    edited August 2017
    and finally a Wikipedia page I care enough about to actually edit. and the Gyro makes the list.  and I really want to try a donkey burger!
  • ChinaskiChinaski Santa Cruz, CA
    POP TARTS!?!?

You're pushing your luck, little man. Picture Quote #1

Vasilnate1cdriveMichelleTaraC73TravisNoel
  • ^^ not my chart ;-)
  • OliviaDOliviaD Cincinnati, Ohio
    Dee said:

I loathe mayo.
    DeeNoel
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    Tortas.
    Tofu banh mi.
    A good sliced BBQ brisket sandwich.
    Japanese potato salad sliders on Asian bakery Hawaiian rolls.
    Soft shell crab po' boy.
    "Bird to the Wise" @ Jason's Deli. No longer on the menu but they'll still make it.

• DeeDee Adelaide
    @Vasilnate1 I'm structural purist, ingredient neutral.

edited August 2017
    @Vasilnate1 I am a Structure Purist. Beyond that, I'm not sure. A chip butty sounds disgusting, but it's a cultural thing, so I don't want to be the Ugly American. Then again, I've seen some horrifying sandwich trends here, like using mac & cheese or ramen as filling. An ice cream sandwich is a summertime staple, but is it a sandwich in the way "sandwich" is ordinarily understood?

I'll split the diff and go Structural Purist, Ingredient Neutral.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • kingbee67kingbee67 Los Angeles Ca.
    I was watching a YouTube vid on how to make a great grilled cheese. They put shred cheddar in side and then on the outside of the bread. When you fry it in the pan it makes this crunchy hard shell of cheese. I do it sometimes but it just seems so unhealthy. So good tho.
  • @Vasilnate1 I am a Structure Purist. Beyond that, I'm not sure. A chip butty sounds disgusting, but it's a cultural thing, so I don't want to be the Ugly American. Then again, I've seen some horrifying sandwich trends here, like using mac & cheese or ramen as filling. An ice cream sandwich is a summertime staple, but is it a sandwich in the way "sandwich" is ordinarily understood?

I'll split the diff and go Structural Purist, Ingredient Neutral.
    Chip butty on white bread with salted butter is incredible, trust me. Not FRIES btw. Chips.
    Dee
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    @OldGriswold Seconded.
    i went to Buffalo a few months ago and absolutely fell in love with beef on weck. it kinda blew me away..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beef_on_weck

johnnytruant
  • emnofseattleemnofseattle Mason County, Washington USA
    Chinaski said:
    i went to Buffalo a few months ago and absolutely fell in love with beef on weck. it kinda blew me away..

That looks really good. I don't know anywhere that makes them but I can probably recreate the Weck roll pretty easy. 
    Chinaski
  • Chinaski said:

Didn't know this was a Buffalo thing. A new German-style restaurant near me had one and it's fucked up. Roast beef that melts like butter, and then the salty roll just makes it.
    Chinaski
    Chinaski said:

That looks really good. I don't know anywhere that makes them but I can probably recreate the Weck roll pretty easy. 
    the roll is what makes it. turbo amazing.
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    Low key fav right now is a BLT and banana shake at an old place in the neighborhood 
    Brawn
  • TravisTravis CA
    edited December 2017
    I have to chime in because my boyfriend and I had the bright idea to make crab, artichoke, and spinach dip and make a grilled cheese out of it the other day. Put it on crusty sourdough and it turned out beautifully. 

But as far as regular sandwiches go breakfast is top (on a bagel!), and grilled cheese a close second. 

Ho-lee shit! Yes please!

Talk about the impossible question. I mean, where do you even start?
    @Chinaski's aforementioned Thanksgiving Leftovers Sandwich is the sandwich that I look forward to the most, but I only have it for like one week a year and it just doesn't feel right to make it outside of those times. (I kind of wonder why that is. I've asked myself this question so many times over the years. I love Thanksgiving dinner and leftovers so much, why not just make it other times during the year, but it just doesn't feel right. Just is what it is I suppose). 

Pastrami with provolone, grilled onions, pickles, mayo, tomatoes, and pickles (edit: I initially said relish in the post and I can only imagine that my head was already in the tuna sandwich below. weird) will always pop off a menu. Perhaps my favorite of the "deli style" sandwiches. 

I suppose it's built into my CA DNA that I just have to love grilled chicken, bacon, avocado, tomatoes, onions, and some form of pepper-y (generally chipotle) mayo.

About 4 or 5 times a year I get an unstoppable craving for a really good tuna sandwich and fulfilling that is one of my favorite (for lack of a better work) mundane eating experiences. There is just something about a really solid, maybe trending slightly on the pickle-y sweet (though not too much so) side of the spectrum with a little extra mayo and a shit ton of onions, tomato, maybe some bacon if I'm in that space. 

I could go on and on. I love sandwiches. They are pretty much my favorite thing to eat. 

Finally, I finally made it to the Ikes about an hour from our place over the weekend and man I have missed it. Ikes is the best. I got a Rawson Thurbur (turkey, bacon, cranberry, and pepperjack) on a dutch roll. Oh man, it was good. That place is amazing.
    Chinaski
  • Oh also, I had never really had pesto chicken sandwiches until a couple of years ago, but that's a good way to get me excited at the ordering counter. Some quality dark greens, mozzarella (or something in that family), maybe a tomato, maybe some onion or even a yellow pepper. Oh my! 
    Chinaski
  • Mofojones333Mofojones333 Fort Worth, Texas
    I have to agree with all of the above. I have never met a SAMMICH that I didn't like! Horray for SAMMICHES! 
    TraviscdriveChinaski
    i had a grilled cheese today with bacon and avocado. it made my heart pop, lock and roll..
    Travis
  • Chinaski said:
    i had a grilled cheese today with bacon and avocado. it made my heart pop, lock and roll..
    You know that's right!
    Chinaski
  • A hot dog, ketchup, onions, and relish. 
    saw this on DDD today. holy my goodness! i want!

Mofojones333Travis