SANDWICHES!

Comments

• ChinaskiChinaski Santa Cruz, CA
    be cool to see Yelp places you guys go to. like i went here on Tuesday and my ass was kicked!

https://www.yelp.com/biz/little-lucca-specialty-sandwich-shop-south-san-francisco

Travis
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • TravisTravis CA
    edited January 2018
    Here are a couple of ones that I like a lot off the top of my head. Old School is pretty much a standard sandwich shop, but they make fantastic sandwiches. It was a "go-to" of mine when I lived in Simi for a couple of years. Mamma Llama is this cafe/sandwich shop that is really fun up where my grandma lives and we stop there multiple times whenever we visit. Then there is Ike's, which we saw the SF location on Man Vs. Food once and stopped there on a trip that happened not too long after and were pretty blown away. They opened a L.A. location a couple of years ago.
    https://www.yelp.com/biz/old-school-sandwiches-and-salads-simi-valley
    https://www.yelp.com/biz/mamma-llama-eatery-and-cafe-weaverville?osq=mama+llama
    https://www.yelp.com/biz/ikes-place-los-angeles-2
    Chinaski
    @akritenbrink - pupusas do not count as sandwiches but they are awesome so they are more than welcomed in this discussion. welcome pupusas. also, your yelp link isn't working.

@Travis - dude that mamma llama place looks good! menu seems all over the place (in a good way). we have several Ike's up here. it's good but i'm not crazy about it. kinda lost a step when they started expanding and getting more chainy (god, I sounded like that d-bag hipster that 'use to like that band before they got all corporate')
    Travis
  • TravisTravis CA
    edited January 2018
    Yeah, man. I love Mamma Llama. I haven't done much aside from coffee and various sandwiches (it's also very nice that they have a nice beer selection), but some of those plates look pretty great. I wonder if that's a sort of dinner menu or something new because I never remember seeing a more expanded menu in the past. I'm tellin ya. this may have been the best sandwich I ever had (copied from the menu online "Roast beef, bacon, carmelized onion, cream cheese, tomato, fresh jalapeno, melted provolone, avocado, sweet & tangy llama sauce, all on Hawaiian bread"). 

I can definitely dig the "chain-ification" of a place like Ikes diminishing the quality. I can say that when we went to break in the one in L.A. recently the sandwich was amazing, but the selection wasn't quite as wild as I vaguely remembered from our trip to SF many years ago. I will give them though that they put the cream cheese for my wife's sandwich on in slices, which is a total baller move. Anyhoo, I totally get it. There is this really cool vegetarian place in Ventura called Nature's Grill that that happened with. It was this great, unique singular restaurant and now there are like 10-15 of them scattered around the county (and perhaps further, I don't know) and the food is mostly the same, but not quite. I mean, I still like it a lot, but it's not as special and it seems to be a little bit lesser. I don't know. I do get where you're coming from though.
    https://www.yelp.com/biz/natures-grill-and-juice-bar-ventura
    Chinaskicdrive
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    @Travis Holy shit that looks awesome

@akritenbrink yeah pupusas to me are like the platypus of the food kingdom.  Can't help you there. But if you feel it's a sandwich, then it's a sandwich!  I love pupusas. And pupuseria is fun to say. 
    Travis
    ok yeah pupusas are more than welcomed in this discussion. holy heck, place looks good!
  • Very happy with my lunch choice today; torta de carnitas from the local taco truck. 

ChinaskicdriveTravisMofojones333Noel
  • TravisTravis CA
    edited January 2018
    MrX said:
    Very happy with my lunch choice today; torta de carnitas from the local taco truck. 

Oh yeah! That's the good stuff, right there. Nice!

RE: Papusas, they are the ones that are kind of like hot pockets, right?
  • Yinz ever have a primanti sandwich? 
    Travis said:
    MrX said:
    Very happy with my lunch choice today; torta de carnitas from the local taco truck. 

Oh yeah! That's the good stuff, right there. Nice!

RE: Papusas, they are the ones that are kind of like hot pockets, right?
    Ok.. Sure! Lol. Basically it's a ball of masa with a filling and they flatten it and cook it.
    yeah that! soooo good! they're El Salvadorian. then there's Arepa's which are Colombian and are sock blowing! the best jerry! the best! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arepa

Travis
    curb re-watching never gets old. reminded me of this thread..

i talked to my mom last night and spent a good 10 minutes on how mexicans say french fries in spanish.. i was like 'pappas fritas. duh mom!' and she was like 'no mijo. creo es 'papas a la francesa'. pos es lo que dijo la novela...' i was dying! :D

Noel
  • edited February 2018
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited February 2018
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Tocino? really? that's a game changer!
  • Pupusas are the bomb. 
    cdrive
  • Alkaid13Alkaid13 Georgia
    edited February 2018
    Arepas are kind of like pupusas but in sandwich form. 
  • FreddyFreddy Denton, Texas
    Just had a french dip at one of my local dives. It was good, but not great. Which when it comes to french dips, it means it was bad.
    Chinaski
    Chinaski said:
    Tocino? really? that's a game changer!
    Bacon? Or is it a special kind of bacon?
    it's not you're traditional bacon. its more like intense pork belly. there's a Filipino diner i go to.. 2 eggs over easy, rice and tocino. hmm mmm mmm!

Freddy said:
    Just had a french dip at one of my local dives. It was good, but not great. Which when it comes to french dips, it means it was bad.
    i couldn't agree more. and a meh french dip is a terrible mistake
    edited February 2018
    @Chinaski It was just decent enough that I thought to myself "horseradish won't turn this from good to great, and it's not bad enough to turn it from bad to okay." Would have been like trading a 2013 Honda in for a 2017 Kia.
    Travis
    @Freddy - and the bread. how was the bread? that's a game changer imo. need nice soft bread to soak up that au jus. this is my go to can't miss french dip spot.. like a slice of heaven! https://www.adamsonsfrenchdip.com/adamsonsfrenchdipmenu

@Chinaski Okay. It wasn't fresh enough, but not stale. Meat was good, but again, not great. They did wrap the provologne up in the meat before heating, which was a nice touch. The aus jus was solid as well. I'm starting to get angry about this.
    Chinaski