SANDWICHES!

Comments

• Michelle said:
    Chinaski said:
    i'm there with ya @Brieanne, that soft boiled egg in the middle FTW!
    I'm on this hill alone. :unamused:  That's ok though, it's better than soft-boiled yolk. :smirk:
    I'm with you, @Michelle. Also, I don't like it when sandwiches have runny eggs in them. It then becomes a fork food, which is the antithesis of a sandwich. When this trend first started out, I was unaware of it and ended up covered in yolk trying to eat what I thought was an innocent egg sandwich. Not OK!
    Michelle
  • MichelleMichelle California
    CeciliaM said:
    Michelle said:
    Chinaski said:
    i'm there with ya @Brieanne, that soft boiled egg in the middle FTW!
    I'm on this hill alone. :unamused:  That's ok though, it's better than soft-boiled yolk. :smirk:
    I'm with you, @Michelle. Also, I don't like it when sandwiches have runny eggs in them. It then becomes a fork food, which is the antithesis of a sandwich. When this trend first started out, I was unaware of it and ended up covered in yolk trying to eat what I thought was an innocent egg sandwich. Not OK!
    I do like runny yolk and it doesn’t bother me on a sandwich or burger, but I feel like it should either be cooked thoroughly like a regular hard boiled egg or runny, no in between.  Maybe it’s the texture of soft boiled?  I dunno.
    CeciliaM
  • ChinaskiChinaski Santa Cruz, CA
    there's a difference between a 'runny' egg that's in a sandwich like that than when they do a fried egg. that's a soft boiled egg where it's not really going to go everywhere and it's manageable.
    MichelleCeciliaM
    Chinaski said:
    there's a difference between a 'runny' egg that's in a sandwich like that than when they do a fried egg. that's a soft boiled egg where it's not really going to go everywhere and it's manageable.
    #softboiledeggseww

This looks really good, if you take away the kimchi and use bacon instead:
    https://www.justputzing.com/2011/08/goat-cheese-and-colby-jack-sandwich-with-kimchi-spinach-and-a-runny-egg.html
    Chinaski
    Michelle said:
    Chinaski said:
    #softboiledeggseww

This looks really good, if you take away the kimchi and use bacon instead:
    https://www.justputzing.com/2011/08/goat-cheese-and-colby-jack-sandwich-with-kimchi-spinach-and-a-runny-egg.html
    oh my goodness.. yes please!
    Michelle
    Chinaski said:
    Or this one:  https://www.saltandlavender.com/poached-egg-proscuitto-brunch-sandwich/

Chinaski
    Michelle said:
    Chinaski said:
    Or this one:  https://www.saltandlavender.com/poached-egg-proscuitto-brunch-sandwich/

killing me! right down my alley!

ya know what i've been doing lately that's fantastic? egg, cheese and bacon scramble on a tortilla with a fried egg on top. eat open face, then when it becomes  the perfect ratio.. roll it up, and.. BURRITO!
    Michelle
    Chinaski said:
    Michelle said:

ya know what i've been doing lately that's fantastic? egg, cheese and bacon scramble on a tortilla with a fried egg on top. eat open face, then when it becomes  the perfect ratio.. roll it up, and.. BURRITO!
    Yum!  With a very slight drizzle of sriracha or tobasco?  Tortilla sauteed so it's cooked but still soft?  Or steamed?
    Michelle said:
    Chinaski said:
    Michelle said:

Yum!  With a very slight drizzle of sriracha or tobasco?  Tortilla sauteed so it's cooked but still soft?  Or steamed?
    tortilla sauteed so it's cooked but still soft (but a little crispy). shout out https://www.tortillaland.com/
    Michelle
  • Chinaski said:

You just reminded me of this tiny 5 foot by 8 foot shack that was outside the place I used to work a decade ago. They made a bacon, egg, cheese and hash brown burrito that was unequaled to any breakfast burrito I've had since. 

That was a rather long way to say you made me hungry for food from a place that isn't there anymore. You bastard!
    ChinaskiMichelle
    Chinaski said:
    tortilla sauteed so it's cooked but still soft (but a little crispy). shout out https://www.tortillaland.com/
    Oh, I've seen those here & wondered if they were good.  I'll have to give them a try.  Thanks!
    And your open faced burrito sounds yummmmmmy. :smile:
    Chinaski
  • edited May 2019
    I invented a new dish called an "eggsadilla" (I'm sure someone has invented it before, but I am trying to be in denial so I haven't googled it).This makes a kind of rich, greasy (in a good way) and thick quesadilla, so don't eat it if you are on a diet. 

So you get a frying pan. I use my nonstick one for this and you'll see why.

Get all your stuff ready because this is kind of fiddly and goes fast. You need 2 large tortillas (not 10 inch but definitely large taco size, and it helps if they are roughly the same size as your pan), cheese, one or two eggs, and whatever you like in quesadillas- I put nacho slices in if I have them, and some red pepper flakes. 

It also helps if you have some big flat thing that can handle heat (I use a flat metal pan that I got at the restaurant supply that is meant to be for pizzas to be served on)

Mix up one or two eggs in a bowl.

Heat up the pan to medium with a little oil or spray. Pour your egg in the pan and swirl it all around to make it large, round and thin like you are making a crepe. This is why the nonstick is important. I think it would make a mess in a cast iron pan.

Fold over the edges with a rubber spatula until it's the same size and shape as your tortilla. Put your stuff (nacho slices, cheese etc) on the part of the egg that is still runny. 

Lay one tortilla on top while everything is still gooey and runny. Shake the pan a little to make sure the egg doesn't stick. Cook until it doesn't stick.

Flip this out of the pan, tortilla side down on the big flat thing. This step is not 100% necessary, but I like to put more oil in the pan at this time so my tortillas are really crispy and it needs a little time to heat up. Slide it back in with the tortilla side down once the oil heats up. if you don't want to do this step, just flip it over in the pan.

Put a little more cheese for more glue and then put your other tortilla on top.

Fry the side that's down, flip it and fry the other tortilla. Flip it back out on the round thing and cut with pizza cutter. Put salt on it, put in a bowl and top with whatever you like on your quesadilla!

Note: This is a very cheap and filling meal if you are broke like I am 75% of the time. haha
    ChinaskiMichelle
  • edited May 2019
    Italian deli meats, fresh loaf, olive oil. Mmmmmm. 
    ChinaskiTravisMichellerusskellyNoel
  • edited May 2019
    https://i.imgur.com/sxXF68d_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium Roasted pork shoulder, avocado, mango sauce, and pickliz (a spicy haitian cabbage slaw), between two big fried plantains instead of bread. I got it without avocado because yuck, but if you like avocado it’s probably even greater. This is a top-ten world sandwich. I was skeptical of the prickly pear orange soda, but turns out that’s absolutely the way to go with this sandwich. At the Fritai stall in St Roch Market, an easy walk from the French Quarter. If you find yourself in New Orleans, this is a must imo. https://neworleans.strochmarket.com/fritai

edir: oh, and get a big container of pickliz to go, because that shit is amazing. 
    ChinaskiTravisMichelle
    i had a chicken salad sandwich on sliced fresh sourdough today. i put ruffles in it and i’m still thinking about it. made my week going into a 4 day weekend! 
    MichelleCeciliaMTravis
    Chinaski said:
    i had a chicken salad sandwich on sliced fresh sourdough today. i put ruffles in it and i’m still thinking about it. made my week going into a 4 day weekend! 
    A good chicken salad is so underrated.  I can only imagine how good it was on sourdough.  The best I've ever had was at a little deli on S. California Blvd. in Walnut Creek back in the '90s.  I worked right near it and their chicken salad sandwich was my go-to:  chicken salad, apples, celery, and cashews on a grainy wheat bread.  It was perfection.  I haven't had one as good since.
    Travis
  • Chicken salad is the bomb. 
    Travis
  • This just reminded me of a time in college when a good female friend, and her guest, asked if they could make an *OldGriswold* sandwich.

Happened a few times, including a couple of "I'm cold, spoon me, *OldGriswold*!" when we were camping without sleeping bags (in England).

Yeah, it took me a while but I got the hint in the end.  What a dumbass.
    Travis
    chicken salad with a bunch of crispy bacon in the mix. on turbo soft sourdough with fresh avocado to press down, take a bite.. and hello! :o
    TravisMichelle
  • TravisTravis CA
    edited July 2019
    Chinaski said:
    chicken salad with a bunch of crispy bacon in the mix. on turbo soft sourdough with fresh avocado to press down, take a bite.. and hello! :o
    Oh hell yes!

A few minutes ago I was craving a pastrami on sourdough with the hot mustard from the packets you get in Chinese restaurants, but that has changed as of reading that. Man, been a spell since chicken salad and that one sounds amazing.
    Chinaski
  • made a nice turkey sandwich for lunch. Got some veganaise, deli mustard, pepper jack, and spinach on whole wheat with crushed up spicey Fritos inside (yes, I'm 5). Looking forward to it
    TravisChinaskicdriveMichelleNoel
  • TravisTravis CA
    edited July 2019
    gguenot said:
    with crushed up spicey Fritos inside (yes, I'm 5). 

Respect to the crushed up spicy Fritos in the sandwich! That's good stuff.
    Chinaskicdrivegguenot
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    So last Friday I re-visited SUBWAY since it's next door to my hair cut place and I was trying to be quick during lunch.

Two new sandwich-related SUBWAY news items:

#1 $5 foot long is back
    #2 They now have fresh mozzarella medallions!  

TravisChinaskiFreddy
    gguenot said:
    made a nice turkey sandwich for lunch. Got some veganaise, deli mustard, pepper jack, and spinach on whole wheat with crushed up spicey Fritos inside (yes, I'm 5). Looking forward to it
    Hey no shame in that game.Right there with you.  I took my Antone's original po'boy last week and crushed some jalepeno chips into it.  Take that, adulthood!
    TravisChinaskigguenot
  • FreddyFreddy Denton, Texas
    cdrive said:
    So last Friday I re-visited SUBWAY since it's next door to my hair cut place and I was trying to be quick during lunch.

#1 $5 foot long is back

The only thing that keeps Subway off my ban list is the cold cut combo. Cheapest and best sandwich on the menu; also the only time I ever eat bologna. Roll through about once a year. Come to think of it, I'm about due for one.1
    Chinaskicdrive
    Freddy said:
    cdrive said:

#1 $5 foot long is back

The only thing that keeps Subway off my ban list is the cold cut combo. Cheapest and best sandwich on the menu; also the only time I ever eat bologna. Roll through about once a year. Come to think of it, I'm about due for one.1
    don't they call their bologna 'mortadella'? i just can't do subway. i can't help but think of that creep Jared, and that overpowering Subway bread smell. 'Subway! Eat Flesh!'.

y'all in Texas have Schlotzsky's. turbo jealous!
    TraviscdriveNoel
  • Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA
    Chinaski said:
    Freddy said:
    cdrive said:

#1 $5 foot long is back

don't they call their bologna 'mortadella'? i just can't do subway. i can't help but think of that creep Jared, and that overpowering Subway bread smell. 'Subway! Eat Flesh!'.

Subway was the primary restaurant they had in my food court in college. That bread smell is a real thing. I can’t go there again. 
    TravisChinaskiNoel
    We have a local chain called Hole in the Wall and they have been the best sandwiches around for *years*.  They have incredibly tasty bread and they pile on the fillings.  If anyone ever comes to northern Humboldt County, seek them out.  I'm telling you.
    Chinaskigguenot
    Chinaski said:

You had Schlotzsky's living in my head rent free for the past few days so I had to hit them up today!
    ChinaskiFreddyNoel
    cdrive said:
    Chinaski said:

You had Schlotzsky's living in my head rent free for the past few days so I had to hit them up today!
    haha nice! what's your jam there? usually get the same or do you mix it up?