401 - So It Goes / 402 - Signal to Noise

Just because the podcast isn't happening, doesn't mean the five of us here who still watch this show can't talk about it.

I really enjoyed this premiere. It seems like their plans for the final season changed at some point, since last year they set this up to be about web browsers, yet here they immediately jump forward three years (with a great montage, to be fair, and it allows the show to go full '90s - Fresh Prince of Bel-Air references and everything) and it seems like the season is actually going to be about search engines. Once you get used to that, there's a lot here to like - we know these characters so well by now that they can just have two of them talk on the phone for a whole episode and still have it be entertaining.

There are sadder moments here too, though. Not the fact that Joe's father died, no one cares about that - we must mourn the tragic loss of John Bosworth's boat.
KingKobra

Comments

• I still watch it. Recorded the premiere. Should watch it sometime today. Sad to hear there won't be a Bald Move companion podcast. I find having that discussion companion to the show really adds another layer of enjoyment.
    JaimieT
  • JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    edited August 2017
    I agree @Haselrig. I'm going to have to look for another podcast, I think.

Here's my sad story: watching these episodes felt like a chore. I wasn't into it. There are a few reasons that may be the case besides the episodes themselves, but at this point I don't know. I probably should have turned them off and come back later.

Favorite part: Dad feeling out at daughter's website. (Oh God, the names have left me too.)

Want: More drama with ex-husband!!!!!!! That can't be over, can it? That shit was the best stuff.
    Haselrig
  • Loved the season 4 opener. Super glad they skipped over the browser wars. Could have been as boring as HTML markup. 

That phone conversation was brilliant because it was earned. These are characters that have a lot pain in their past (from their relationship with each other, and from others). Using the distance of a phone allowed them a safe way to reconnect. Should be interesting to see if Joe has really grown in the way he is presenting to others and Cameron. Or whether he is going to return to asshole Joe.  
    SomeBiscuitNatter Cast
  • edited August 2017
    JaimieT, I did a quick search and came up with 20 GOTO 10 "A Halt And Catch Fire Podcast". They don't have an ep up for this week yet, so I haven't given it a listen, but I'll give it a chance if it does pick up for this season. Sadly, but not surprisingly, that was the only other dedicated podcast I could find that didn't look too sketchy.
    JaimieT
  • Natter CastNatter Cast San Francisco, CA
    Is the podcast still there? I'll just keep posting...because I think it's still there.
  • Watched the premiere. Really enjoyed that time-jump montage. Very well-done. Funny about that unending phone conversation, before the internet, I used to have six-hour phone conversations pretty regularly, so it seemed very reminiscent of the time to me. 

Glad we made it to the meat of the 90's. My favorite era for sure.
  • Natter CastNatter Cast San Francisco, CA
    Joe to Cam:

"This is great. Talking on the phone like this. But imagine if we could take pictures of our cats and meals with these things? And send them to each other! The possibilities are almost unlimitless!"
  • Loved this epsidoe. I thought that they handled the time jump near perfectly. While the Joe/Cam did get a little long for me, it still worked and was (as previously stated) a great call back to when talking to someone all day/night was a thing. it was great to see Haley who seemed like she was ignored because she was smart/good come out of her shell when it came to the website, she kind of reminded me of Gordon.

I'd also like to know what cordless phone Joe had that lasted basically all night.
  • "I'd also like to know what cordless phone Joe had that lasted basically all night."

In fairness, they did show him flip to another one. I'm assuming he was charging one while he was using the other?
  • Great start to the season. I thought it looked fantastic - I don't always explicitly notice the shot composition, lighting, etc in shows but it stood out to me these episodes. And it's nice to get some 90s tunes in the soundtrack.

Especially liking Donna (as always); her entrance to the season was pretty epic and I'm enjoying her storyline so far.
    KingKobra
  • Almost forgot to mention, great use of Hole....
    MrXHaselrighypergenesb
    Haselrig said:

JaimieT, I did a quick search and came up with 20 GOTO 10 "A Halt And Catch Fire Podcast". They don't have an ep up for this week yet, so I haven't given it a listen, but I'll give it a chance if it does pick up for this season. Sadly, but not surprisingly, that was the only other dedicated podcast I could find that didn't look too sketchy.

Haselrig said:

I listened to that one. Wasn't impressed. Going to try the one from WestCoastProject, which gets props for (1) thumbnail design and (2) reviewing Black Mirror's San Juniper in their preview cast.
    Haselrig
  • "I listened to that one. Wasn't impressed. Going to try the one from WestCoastProject, which gets props for (1) thumbnail design and (2) reviewing Black Mirror's San Juniper in their preview cast"

Nice find. I'll definitely check that one out tomorrow. The 20 GOTO 10 one wasn't terrible, but it lacked any real energy and was kindof flat. I might give it another chance next week, but I honestly can't remember much of it. Just didn't make much of an impact.
    JaimieT
    Flat is a good word for it.
    @Haselrig Night and day. This is the podcast you want. Dang, I wasted my time with the other...
    Haselrig
  • Even looks like Bald Move. Looking forward to giving it a shot.
    JaimieT
  • edited August 2017
    Ha. They actually plug the 20 GOTO 10 podcast in the episode.

Yep, liked that much better. With so many good female characters, it's nice to have a female host for a different perspective. Might have to go back and see what the Fargo and Better Call Saul podcasts were like.
    JaimieT
  • Haselrig said:

20 GOTO 10 

That's a great name if nothing else  :)
    Haselrig
    edited August 2017
    Haselrig said:

Ha. They actually plug the 20 GOTO 10 podcast in the episode.

Yep, liked that much better. With so many good female characters, it's nice to have a female host for a different perspective. Might have to go back and see what the Fargo and Better Call Saul podcasts were like.
    I really liked how they could disagree (and did a lot) and it wasn't a big deal. And re: the 20 GTO 10 podcast, I thought, "Well one thing that podcast doesn't do is research!" That might be unfair, lol. But I like that he is aware of other conversations, including Sepinwall.
    Haselrig
  • Yeah, some nice sharing of differing opinions without being contentious. The woman (sorry, the names haven't sunk in yet) in particular had some good insights. The man was solid and I'd like him just fine if he never says the word "lover" again :)
    JaimieT
  • redlancer said:

Haselrig said:

20 GOTO 10 

That's a great name if nothing else  :)
    The ASCII armadillo is pretty sweet, too :)
  • This show is great as always. Let the proto-Google wars begin!
    Okay THIS episode I liked. And I don't feel like creating a new thread.... Laughing, crying, all of it.
    Haselrig
  • Agreed. Good ep. Really liking the Cameron/Gordon relationship so far this season. 
  • Appreciate the attention to detail on Super Mario Kart. Cameron knows you always pick Toad or Yoshi.

When that game was out is was me and 3 other early twenty-something dudes living in a rented house. That game was going probably 20-24 hours a day  :)

We're lucky we still had jobs after that summer. I think we only had to replace 2 or 3 controllers after having them smashed against the wall.

And Doom Deathmatch, there is no greater pinnacle of video games  :)  The next house I lived in my roommates probably got really tired of picking up the phone to modem screeches. That's back in the day when you would directly dial the other players modem, just before ISP's and the internet really took off.