So You Think You Can Dance (spoilers for current episode and back)

akritenbrinkakritenbrink Lynnwood, WA (Seattle area)
Anyone else watching this year? I am glad they are back to the young adult dancers. They have more range and they can do the moves like ballroom and stuff without being creepy.

My favorites so far: Kione and Dassy. I like Mark a lot better on the show than I did during auditions too. I'm really upset that Jasmine's partner went home because Jasmine is great and now we're not going to see much of her.
Travis

Comments

• TravisTravis CA
    edited August 22
    I was wondering if you were going to start a thread about this. Actually, my wife and I just went to the taping last night. It was super fun. It really is something to take in live. I mean, it's easy to take for granted a lot of the physicality when you're watching through the veil of TV, but damn they do some really impressive stuff. It's also just a really fun atmosphere. The standing in line for 2 hours with no guarantee of getting in is pretty brutal, and we definitely have some complaints about their sort of process and the lack of transparency, but we ended up getting some really great seats a few rows back behind the judges. If we had been maybe 2 rows lower you probably would have seen my wife and I every time they cut to Vanessa Hudgins. Also, not a fan of her as a judge. She seems perfectly knowledgeable and all, and at least we won't have to suffer through another night of Christina Applegate acting super pretentious, but she needs to be at least a little more critical if she is going to be on every week. You can still be very nice while being critical, and she does strike me as a very nice person and maybe that's what is holding her back, but get in the game, man.

My wife and I do a SYTYCD bet every year where we each pick a boy and a girl contestant and try to get the closest to picking the winner. This year, the winner of the bet gets to pick our next vacation spot. I won the coin flip and got Lex, then she took Dassy and Robert (RIP Robert's chances of winning it), and then I took Taylor, mostly because All-Star Robert is totally the Steve Nash of SYTYCD. That dude just makes people better, and she's pretty good to begin with. I almost took the blue haired girl (name escapes me), and I took a solid look at Koine, but Robert as her partner took me over the edge. If she hadn't already been taken off the board I would have gone with Dassy. She is so perfect to match up with Fik Shun. I like Mark (he's the Hawaiian dude, right?), and I'm glad that Comfort (Comfort is the fuckin best, man) really seems to be toning him down. Dude is really talented. Logan (or "Mop Guy" as I've come accustomed to calling him) is good too, but I think as great as he is he kind of does the same stuff as Lex just not quite as well. It's been a great show so far. Kiki could be a darkhorse as well, if he draws the right styles. Him and Jenna have crazy chemistry and he's very good. Really talented field. I'm super glad that we're back to adults. I'm not sure I would be watching another season of kids. Maybe later down the road or something, but I agree. It's kind of creepy and they're just not as good. Nothing against them, they're kids. They're not on that level yet. 

I think Lex is going to take it home though. I was worried after last week, but that dude... that dude is nuts. He's also very smart about how he structures his solos. One thing I noticed with at least 2 or 3 of them last night is they spent way too much time mugging. I mean you get what, 20 seconds? Show me something. 

Wow, sorry that got so long. Brevity isn't my thing, but that got really long.
    akritenbrink
  • Looking backwards, after getting home from the show last night, my wife and I fell down a small youtube hole and I forgot how much I loved watching Fik Shun and Amy together. Man, they were so great as a team.
    akritenbrink
  • akritenbrinkakritenbrink Lynnwood, WA (Seattle area)
    Wow, that is awesome! That would be super fun. It's such a good combination of fun/entertaining and high quality, high talent artists. The group routine to Strange Fruit was killer last night too- I was like, wow, they are going there!

We subscribed to the ballet for a few years and we sat in some cheap seats right up front, which are supposedly undesirable seats, but it was so cool that you could see the physicality of the dancers. Dance is something I just can't do- my body just doesn't do those things haha. So it's cool for me to see people who can express so much through movement.

I like Vanessa as a judge but I see what you are saying- I do think she had some critiques last night, and I think Nigel and Mary will be more critical. Is Vanessa Hudgens super tiny? When she had that little bra thing on last week I was like wow, she must be tiny.
    Travis
  • TravisTravis CA
    edited August 22
    Thanks! It was a lot of fun. I would love to go check out a ballet one of these days. I totally know what you mean. I'm really grateful for my wife's interest in dance, and this show because on my own I never would have gotten into it. She danced a whole lot when she was younger, sounds like she might have been good enough to make something of it but her knees got shot. It's pretty cool though because she gets the technique (as well as a very gut level point) and I go in totally not knowing anything and we sort of compare notes. It's made for some very cool discussions over the years. You're so right about the physicality. Some of the things these people can do, even the more subtle stuff aside from the crazy tricks is just phenomenal. 

I am bummed that Strange Fruit was pre-taped in the morning session. Basically there are two tapings. The first is a final rehearsal and they will tape some of the big group stuff in the morning. Then there is the 5:00 live show. We did get to see the opener which I enjoyed immensely, and we did watch the Travis Wall one, and the other group one on a screen. I'm actually looking forward to watching the Wall one again at home because it wasn't the best way to watch it. It was kind of like watching a movie, but the screen off to the side instead of in front of you. I could see it and all, but it was a little harder to follow. That said, despite the non-optimal viewing of it, it was really powerful and very great. I like how they will take stands like that and it was executed really beautifully. Travis Wall is amazing. I was also really pleasantly surprised by Kaylee and Cyrus' jazz piece. We both left kind of scratching our heads at that one being a front runner for "best of the night" (at least of the standard 2 man routines). I also felt the gravity of the elimination a lot more in person. I didn't particularly care for the girl who they let go (I had actually nicknamed her "Vanilla McBlandGirl"), but I felt for her a lot more seeing it live than I would have at home. She took it well, but it was a bummer to witness. I can't believe Dassy was in the last two.

Vanessa is really tiny. We didn't see much of her because we were behind her and she didn't really get up much during the breaks or anything like that (that was mostly filled with makeup touch ups). Honestly, we mostly just saw her chair and the back of her head (my wife joked "wow, her hair grew like 18 inches in a week!"), and at the end when everyone got up I was mostly checking out the choreographers and seeing what Nigel was up to, and looking at what was going on on-stage as a whole. From what we could glean though, yeah. She is a very tiny person. I do agree that she did better this week. I wonder if it's the show advancing to rougher cuts, or maybe she got some notes about it, but she did much better this week. Hopefully it will be a continuing trend. I really think I just miss Adam Shankman though. That dude was the best third chair. He was kind of perfect at the job.
    akritenbrink
    Oh yeah, Adam Shankman was great. He's a busy man though. I liked it better overall when they had the choreographer and dancer judges rather than celebrity judges. I do think Vanessa Hudgens has somewhat of a dance background though, it sounds like. Also, I miss Paula Abdul and I don't care that much for Mary so I am not thrilled with that change. 

I was wondering about the pre-taping. There's a very quick, to the point of miraculous costume change in that piece. That's too bad because it would have been amazing to see in person. I guess you gotta do what you gotta do for a live show, though.

I like Kaylee and I think they did her a big disservice on the first episode putting her in that role that was kind of supposed to be way more "feminine" than she is. And the costume looked really chintzy that week too. I don't think she will win or anything but I am glad she has had more suitable routines since then.

The girl who went home- Yeah she was basically just cannon fodder haha. There always seem to be one or two girls like that. I can't believe Dassy was on the bottom either. She's been my favorite from the auditions. 
  • Dassy!? NOOOOOOO!!!!!!

I'm glad I won the in house bet, but that was a total injustice. Stupid voters.
    akritenbrink
    Travis said:

Dassy!? NOOOOOOO!!!!!!

I'm glad I won the in house bet, but that was a total injustice. Stupid voters.
    Right? She is so good.  I guess when you just do a top 10, the cuts are brutal. I don't see Ms. Blue Hair lasting much longer, but she did do really well that night.
    Travis
  • Yeah, she appears to be getting better with the show which could keep her around for a while. You're right though, it's just brutal with 10. One thing my wife said with Dassy is that she probably would have done a lot better if it had been a 20 contestant season and she had more time to form a bond with the audience. I think that's a good point. It's a bummer.

Did you watch World of Dance? I won't start off with spoilers just in case (I know it ended a while ago). We flew through it over the last couple of weeks and I was SUPER into it, until I decided it was rigged and the judges completely lost all credibility with me. Great format though and a whole lot of really amazing performances.
    Travis said:

Yeah, she appears to be getting better with the show which could keep her around for a while. You're right though, it's just brutal with 10. One thing my wife said with Dassy is that she probably would have done a lot better if it had been a 20 contestant season and she had more time to form a bond with the audience. I think that's a good point. It's a bummer.

Did you watch World of Dance? I won't start off with spoilers just in case (I know it ended a while ago). We flew through it over the last couple of weeks and I was SUPER into it, until I decided it was rigged and the judges completely lost all credibility with me. Great format though and a whole lot of really amazing performances.
    No, I didn't. I kind of meant to, but forgot. I will have to check it out.

With the blue hair girl, whose name I suddenly have forgotten, she's been in the bottom a lot and I just think she's not going to be an audience favorite so she's always going to be in the bottom, and sooner or later she'll get cut.do think she needs to work on her facial expressions but otherwise she is an interesting dancer. But this show typically likes girls who are more feminine and guys who are more masculine, and she doesn't fit into a certain gender role.    I think the show has learned how to use her, and generally that show has done better in recent years with not forcing their dancers into certain gender stereotypes. Like the routine she did where she was the shadow- That could have been a guy or a girl, didn't matter. Hopefully she will get a lot of work and recognition from being on the show! 
    Travis
  • It's funny you mentioned the face because my wife and I were watching and realized that she makes that stupid face that she makes on purpose. You could see it. At one point she is turned away from the microphone, turning her head to the side and her face was relaxed, but then Cat asked her a question and as she is turning her head to face her she quickly snaps into it. My wife guesses that it's her "persona" in action. That sort of pretentious "I've got to look intense now" kind of artsy bullshit. 

That aside though, you're right on all counts. She is very talented and I'm sure that given some great exposure from the show she'll find some great work. Also, with the "masculine dudes" and "feminine girls" thing it's definitely true, but I agree that particularly with her, but not only so, they are making strides there. It's nice to see. They really have some amazing choreographers. 

If you get to it, I hope you like World of Dance. Even though I'm not sure if a competition show has ever made me so fucking mad (like yelling at the tv, and then stewing about it for a couple of days, I'm not proud of this), I'm really, really glad I watched for some of those performances. There were some just insane acts.
    akritenbrink
    Yeah, she has some growing up to do for sure. I'm also not sure she's making the face she thinks she is making haha. But that's par for the course on this show also. I can't stand when they have the clips where they ask them questions and stuff. They all sound like a bunch of idiots, even the All-Stars. Just let them dance, haha. 
    Travis
    Wow... Shocking elimination last night. I really liked all the performances last night. 

The hip-hop one with Lex and Gaby was great, but what was up with Gaby's wig? Taylor is really talented but I find Mandy Moore's choreography so boring, and I find that attitude with which they approach those softer contemporary pieces also quite boring. They put them up on a pedestal so much. And the cane-throwing piece was fun to watch but I got so distracted by the canes... lol.

My favorite piece of the competitors' with their All-Stars was probably Koine's jive- she just has such a high performance level. Future All-Star. I also loved Cyrus and Kaylee's piece. It seemed a lot of people were comparing it to the way people are feeling in Houston right now. I thought the music choice was a bit odd, but that's Tyce Diorio. 

The group pieces with the contestants were both really interesting. I don't think I've ever seen something like the Maya Angelou piece where it was done to spoken word. This is what I love about this show- They slip these super arty things in between wacky cane-throwing numbers and whatnot.

I also loved the All-Stars piece with the French music. I wrote down the piece to find out more about it. I wished there was more so I have been watching it on repeat, haha.

@Travis what did you think of last night? I was mildly surprised by one boy who went home but I actually really like the top 4.
  • I haven't gotten to it yet. We'll probably watch on Thursday. I'll definitely check back in after we watch it.
    akritenbrink