512 - "Remember"

Director: Greg Nicotero
Writer: Unknown
Cecily

Comments

• Frakkin TFrakkin T Currently Offline
    I'm starting to get to the point where the podcast isn't even enough of a reason to keep watching TWD, with all the other shows you guys do. 
  • AndrewAndrew New York
    Gabriel is;

1) at the church
    2) Under the church
    3) got raptured off screen

John_NadaTaraC73FlashGordonTravisElisaAmbitiousBukkymeskojSpookycat4
  • This half season has been nothing short of a disaster so far for the show. Ratings are down and I'm seeing even casual fans that never put a bit of critical thought into any TV watching experience starting to bitch about the show on Facebook. This makes 3 of 4 bad episodes since the return. Not good.
  • Frakkin TFrakkin T Currently Offline
    Jesus Christ, Carl, stay in the fucking house!
    TaraC73ksa1001TravisElisasteph_bSpookycat4
  • MichaelMichael Virginia
    I enjoyed the episode very much! Introduced to a slew of new characters. The group realized how strong they really are to other survivors. And they will survive with or without them. I think this was the perfect episode to have for where we are at in the season. 
    Carl is the first to point out they need to stay strong. So he and his dad go out and do a little killing together to stay in shape. LOVED IT! The look of Carl to Rick like, "Come on Dad, give me the pipe. I wanna kill it. Please??" Ok son, have fun."
    TaraC73ksa1001ElisaAmbitiousBukky
  • 1) I'm cautiously hopeful.  The show was getting really repetitive, and now that they're apparently moving from Voyager to Deep Space Nine, there are some new story possibilities.  (Next week: Glenn and ROTC Douchbag are stranded together when their runabout breaks down at a Wal-Mart, and gain a wary respect for each other as they struggle to stay alive.   And back at the station, Carl and Nog get into shenanigans while Jessie's past with the Maquis starts to catch up with her. . .)

2) I've come to grips with the hard truth that this is a show about stupid stupid stupid badasses.  I'll tell you what kind of person survahves in this warld, Rick - it's not good people or bad people, it's PEOPLE WHO DON'T WANDER OFF BY THEMSELVES!   Carl hears a suspicious noise upstairs.  He pulls his knife - that's good.  Then he goes upstairs by himself without telling anyone - why are these people still alive?   Rick and Carl fight of a half-dozen zombies with pocketknives.  Even if death by scratch is unlikely, it's definitely a thing - how many slap fights can you get into with a zombie and survive.   USE TEAMWORK AND SPEARS!   IT'S SO OBVIOUS.

Seriously, it's just a stroke of blind luck that Rick isn't dead.

3) I love Carol's act.  She's a hidden weapon, just like the gun in the blender, It's a nice touch that her act started with her fumbling to remove the gun, but we don't learn about it until the interview.  To A Ron's question in the previewcast, I assume that Aaron saw her handling herself competantly, but doesn't realize that she's Carol, Destroyer of Worlds.  I guess the question is whether Janeway's poker skills see through Carol and Janeway's just playing along, or whether she's fooled too.
    TaraC73ksa1001TravisElisaAmbitiousBukky
  • chriskchrisk Indianapolis
    edited March 2015
    Really surprised by the takes on this one. I thought this one of the best episodes the show has had. First or second best this year, and easily top 5 of the show for me. Liked a number of things:

Rick's awkwardness around the new people and the new environment. They all look out of place. 

Carol playing demure housewife. It's like she just decided right on the spot to be the spy for the group. Her clumsiness with the gun was hilarious.

(That girl has to have Rick's gun - was probably spying on him on one of her walks) 

Rick runs into Carl and he's not even mad. He's just "hey, let's kill some walkers." I think the whole group has walker withdrawal, along the lines of that trope about soldiers coming home and wanting to go back to war. I'm not bothered by Carl going out on his own - he was following the girl and he can more or less take care of himself. Either way he's effectively become an adult and can make his own decisions. I think the gang is just comfortable making that gamble 

Darryl being generally unsure what to do with himself and to Carol - "you look ridiculous"

I think we're headed for some sort of confrontation between Rick and Michonne. Noticed that they didn't include her in the porch scene at the end. Don't think she'd have been on board with the idea of just taking the place. 

Maybe Gabriel is with Huell. I don't care too much. 

brewseveltTravisElisacolleenHeatherAmbitiousBukky
  • FlashGordonFlashGordon Leeds, UK
    edited March 2015
    I really liked this episode, feel the new setting with be good for the show and story, but seriously they need to start offing some characters the group is huge, next time Noah tells a compulsive lie, Rick should just pull out his python and pop, 

Faviroute moment was Rick's last line, Rick you cold mother fucker

Also I saw it announced that the season finale will be 90 mins, so i'm pretty optimistic about the rest of the season
    ksa1001TravisElisa
    On second glance, looks like people are pretty positive on this one. Which is good IMO. This is really the first episode where it seemed like they were able to payoff all this characterization they've been doing the past couple seasons. As much as I liked the idea of them on the road, I think it limited what they were able to do and the writers seemed to cut loose a little and have some fun.
    Elisa
  • UnderwoodUnderwood Philadelphia, PA
    I liked this episode for sure. It was cool to see everyone try and get acclimated to "civilization". I liked the scene where Michonne see's Rick all clean shaven for the first time and the look in her eye's basically said "hot dayum". I love Carol's ascension this season as character. She's not just a badass now, she's a smart calculating badass. Really pretty happy with this half season so far, and maybe its just me but they seem to be sticking closer to the comic story line so maybe that's why I'm enjoying it more? Oh and A Ron and Jim were wondering about the size of Alexandria. I read somewhere recently that before the group arrived there, it was inhabited by around 60 people. So now with the group, maybe somewhere between 70-75 people are living in the safe zone? Seems like a realistic number.
    ElisaAmbitiousBukkySpookycat4
  • This was easily the best episode since the season 5 opener last fall...and for much different reasons. And the scene between Deana and Rick at the beginning is the best TWD scene this year hands down. Will be very interesting if they play Rick's group taking control of the safe zone as a hostile takeover or as some kind of necessity due to the current leadership's inability to effectively deal with the threats and realities that exist outside of those walls...because you know they're coming.

And reaaaaaaaally hoping there is some kind of legitimate explanation for the wall support beams being on the OUTSIDE of the walls!
    Elisa
    edited March 2015
    Looked all around for an explanation of those beams that made any kind of sense and I have nothing. Only thing I can guess is that practically it's not very workable as a set. They probably don't plan on filming just outside the walls very often, but they will inside. That's not a small issue, but it seems like you could fake it enough to get by. 
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    Yeah, I don't think we're going to get an explanation, which is stupid, but whatever.  Those aren't solid steel slabs either, and I'd bet dollars to donuts there isn't any cold rolled steel supports to be found either.  At times like this, you can either believe what the characters in universe are telling you, or your own lying eyes. I don't have enough information to know whether we're to believe these walls are impregnable, by even the largest herd / determined attacker, or whether going forward, a wall breech will be part of the plot, but I doubt if we do have a wall attack, it's going to involve attackers with hacksaws / blow torches, even though that would make sense.

All that bullshit aside, as I said on the instant cast, I really liked the episode, and am excited for all the storytelling angles they raised in just one hour.  Seems like it's going to be fairly easy to fill up the remaining four episodes with just working out that material.  The only thing I'm unsure of is the "stupid teenager plot" that shows like this seem to love to explore, but I'd still care if somehow they can involve Carl and not make him out to be an idiot.  As far as I'm concerned, the viability of those kind of plots died with the 128 oz can of chocolate pudding.
    TravisOriginal_JosephAndrew
  • Just got done listening to instant cast.  Wasnt ROTC douche bag the Congress womans son.  Doesnt mean that she hasnt needed to keep him in check so he doesnt uprise but I wasnt sure if A Ron and Jim realized that after first watch.

Travis
  • DohRaeMeDohRaeMe Lewisville, Texas
    Not sure if  A Ron was trying to be funny or not, but the Congresswoman is not from DS9, she's a veteran actress from As the World Turns.  I'm sure MOST of you are regular soap opera watchers and caught that. ;)  And yep, ROTC douche/the last member of the Member's Only club was her son.  There was no mention of her husband, so I wonder if doucheboy thinks he's HDIC around there.

All in all, definitely my favorite episode this season.  I don't need massive amounts of zombie kills, just give me a solid drama that takes place in the ZA. It'll be interesting to see how this goes.  
    Elisacolleen
  • ksa1001ksa1001 Plano, TX
    @trippy  "I figured ROTC dude and his buddy were morons as soon as they referred to the guns as 'sweet ass biscuits'.   Is that a thing?  Do people refer to guns as baked goods?"

Yes and Yes, as example, track 2

FlashGordonAlex
  • I really like this episode as well. It may have been a little slow, but it set up so much. So many interesting new threads were presented. I love how true to the characters the episode was, and I love the way they went about it. The interviews were a very cool way of getting into the characters heads. I'm pretty excited for Rick and Michonne: Buddy Cops! I wonder how long until Rick has to beat up Jessie's husband for being a drunk douche.

Carol was AWESOME! I was totally cracking up at the whole "helpless den mother" routine. I love it! Particularly, as you noted, even before the interview where she tries to demurely hand off that giant fucking rifle. It was so good, and so totally Carol. The way that they could provide some great comic relief while staying true to her character was both impressive and really great for the episode, and I guess that gets to one of the roots of why I liked this a lot. They managed to make a very good, compelling episode without relying too much on a ton of action. I think they did a good job of showing how these people would react to the possibility of peace, and I think exploring that side is incredibly important for the show. Michonne had mentioned that they've been out there too long, and in a way as a viewer I agree. When the group starts to lose all of it's ties to the civilized world the characters also have less to react to on a non-action level. Jim and A.Ron mentioned during last week's cast about how they just don't seem to have much to talk about, and that is bad for the show and it makes all of the characters blend together. Now we have a whole new stimulus to diversify them, and it's already paying off in a big way. I'm also very interested to see know more about Deanna. She's interesting and hard to predict and already an incredibly promising character. I hope this plays out for a while because I think that there is a lot you can do to enrich and reinvigorate the characters. They've given us so many possibilities. A whole new set of parameters and a whole ratty sweaters-worth of threads. I'm really excited and I'm impressed.

ksa1001Elisacolleen
  • goodmoregoodmore Ballston Spa, NY
    I believe ROTC DBAG said he was Deana's son. She told Rick she had 2 boys during their interview. I'm guessing that her other son was of of the "good people" who was killed recently during a scavenger hunt. That's why he took Glens criticism so hard.
    A_Ron_Hubbard
  • TaraC73TaraC73 Manchester NH
    I liked this episode a lot. Except the angsty teen bullshit. /but that could be because I have enough of that in my own house/ I don't know whether to trust Deanna or not. I DO know that Jessie's husband has got to be some kind of asshole or douchebag or something because she never mentioned him to Rick at all. So there's some potential conflict.
    Travis
  • colleencolleen wisconsin

I'm glad to see other people liked the episode like I did.  At first the thread started out with negative opinions and I was a bit bummed out about that.  I think this will definitely lead to more interesting storylines down the road.  The show was getting way too repetitive and boring with the same old story being told over and over.  I can't wait to see how they try to reintegrate into a "society". 

I still want to see Rick and Michonne hook up, too.  I was so hoping Michonne would be the one to cut Rick's hair, not that blonde lady.  I really hope they don't end up pairing Rick with her instead!

TravisAmbitiousBukky
  • Also, regarding Jessie's husband: I really liked hearing that A.Ron and Jim got the Ed feeling from him. That was the first thing I thought of during his exchange with Rick too.
    Spookycat4
  • So happy to see others liked this episode! I thought it was pretty informative, set up some things for us to keep an eye on in the future (without banging it over our heads).

Like everyone said, Carol's shtick is pure genius. I didn't even connect why she fumbled with the gun earlier until we got to her interview. She is THINKING on her feet!

I can not WAIT until the demise of Douchebag, it better be coming. Oooh I disliked him on sight. Who ties up walkers?! Glenn and Fistbump were quick to cal him on that. My how they've grown. Seeing how amped up everyone is compared to the residents of Alexandria shows that our gang isn't as useless as they sometimes let on. I hope the new residents appreciate that.

Why does everyone hate on poor Noah?! LOL I don't think he lied about his injury to Aaron in the last episode, he was limping at the hospital when he met Doodlebug. He aggravated when he jumped but I'm pretty sure he told Beth that he was saved and fixed up while his dad was left behind, presumably because he was the weaker of the two.
    Travis
  • DohRaeMeDohRaeMe Lewisville, Texas

Why does everyone hate on poor Noah?! LOL I don't think he lied about his injury to Aaron in the last episode, he was limping at the hospital when he met Doodlebug. He aggravated when he jumped but I'm pretty sure he told Beth that he was saved and fixed up while his dad was left behind, presumably because he was the weaker of the two.
    You're right, in Slabtown he shows Beth a gnarly scar on his calf, and talked about how they saved him over his dad.  
    AmbitiousBukkyTravis
  • TaraC73TaraC73 Manchester NH

Like everyone said, Carol's shtick is pure genius. I didn't even connect why she fumbled with the gun earlier until we got to her interview. She is THINKING on her feet!

My first reaction to her fumbling was that she was still hurting from getting hit by the car. But then it all came together. Very smart Carol.

AmbitiousBukkyTravis
  • AlexAlex Seattle
    edited March 2015
    This is my second favorite episode of the season, that being said why did they give up their guns?  In season two they camped outside of Hershel's for like 3 episodes so they could hold on to their sweet biscuits.  Rick was telling the senator that people measure one another by what they can take from them.  What if all the Alexandrian's wanted where automatic rifles?

Travis
  • TravisTravis CA
    edited March 2015

...The only thing I'm unsure of is the "stupid teenager plot" that shows like this seem to love to explore, but I'd still care if somehow they can involve Carl and not make him out to be an idiot.  As far as I'm concerned, the viability of those kind of plots died with the 128 oz can of chocolate pudding.
    I totally agree with this. It's just such a played out angle in general. I literally stopped watching Homeland as soon as they started to play up the "dumb, confused teenager" plot with Brody's daughter. Homeland Season 2 Spoiler: They killed that dude in the car accident and I have no idea what happened later because I said "fuck this, this is stupid" and never turned it back on. I have very, very little tolerance for it. I get it, teenagers make bad decisions and it creates a lot of drama, but in a show like TWD there are so many more potent stories to tell there is just no room for it. I guess I simply think grown-ups are much, much more interesting. Especially because, it's the zombie apocalypse dude, put the big boy pants on. Also, if they make Carl an idiot he's been out there. He knows better. I suppose thinking about it, you've got kids that are sheltered playing video games behind huge walls. You could justify it, but God can you imagine how much of a waste of good airtime that would be. I can see it already "the two boys want to do something dumb and reckless and the girl is coming too and Carl doesn't want to alienate himself from the girl he likes and the only peers that he has so he doesn't tell the grown-ups that they're sneaking over the wall to go get drunk in the woods. One of the kids is now in peril... and knowing is half the battle" Jesus, I'm watching the Walking Dead, not a Kirk Cameron ABC Family special.
    AmbitiousBukkyErikSTL
  • EricEric Seattle
    Not sure yet how I feel about the episode...my initial impression was that it was okay, but I'm not sure how much of that is just relief that story is moving off of aimlessly wandering the road in a dehydrated stupor and into a new setting. Going to rewatch it tonight and try to absorb it a little more. One thing I do want to know: Where the hell is all the "cold rolled steel"?? All I saw was what looked like a bunch of corrugated metal siding. An irrelevant point to some but if you are gonna make a huge deal about the fences and all the cold rolled steel....there better be some impressive looking walls made of ...wait for it....COLD ROLLED STEEL. 

Something else that caught my attention...last episode really set up the impression that these guys are real pros in not only building a community, but ranging outside the walls to great distances without too much problem. "Clearing route 16" (or whatever road it was) takes some work after all. "Calling the ball" ROTC douche guy and his friend really left the opposite impression with me on first watch. Next to Rick's group, they seem very weak in that arena...I'm guessing that is why they wanted Rick's group inside the walls, but it just doesn't jive with what we as viewers have been given up till now. I'll be curious to see if this bunch has any heavy hitters in it, or if they are all as weak as those two.
    Travis
  • AndrewAndrew New York
    Travis said:

...The only thing I'm unsure of is the "stupid teenager plot" that shows like this seem to love to explore, but I'd still care if somehow they can involve Carl and not make him out to be an idiot.  As far as I'm concerned, the viability of those kind of plots died with the 128 oz can of chocolate pudding.
    I totally agree with this. It's just such a played out angle in general. I literally stopped watching Homeland as soon as they started to play up the "dumb, confused teenager" plot with Brody's daughter. Homeland Season 2 Spoiler: They killed that dude in the car accident and I have no idea what happened later because I said "fuck this, this is stupid" and never turned it back on. I have very, very little tolerance for it. I get it, teenagers make bad decisions and it creates a lot of drama, but in a show like TWD there are so many more potent stories to tell there is just no room for it. I guess I simply think grown-ups are much, much more interesting. Especially because, it's the zombie apocalypse dude, put the big boy pants on. Also, if they make Carl an idiot he's been out there. He knows better. I suppose thinking about it, you've got kids that are sheltered playing video games behind huge walls. You could justify it, but God can you imagine how much of a waste of good airtime that would be. I can see it already "the two boys want to do something dumb and reckless and the girl is coming too and Carl doesn't want to alienate himself from the girl he likes and the only peers that he has so he doesn't tell the grown-ups that they're sneaking over the wall to go get drunk in the woods. One of the kids is now in peril... and knowing is half the battle" Jesus, I'm watching the Walking Dead, not a Kirk Cameron ABC Family special.
    I don't think that they'll go for the angsty teen special.  I'm fairly certain that Enid is sneaking out to give intel/supplies to another group, whose members include some of the people that were exiled.  I believe they said that she came alone.  Why else would she be sneaking out? Carl will discover her duplicity and have to exact justice.
    TravisTaraC73colleenAmbitiousBukky
  • EricEric Seattle
    TaraC73 said:

My first reaction to her fumbling was that she was still hurting from getting hit by the car. But then it all came together. Very smart Carol.

Oh yes and Carol was brilliant...by far my favorite character in the show at this point. She is in psychological warfare mode until she can sort out what is going on in this town. I really hope she sticks around for awhile as I think I would miss her more than Daryl.
    TravisTaraC73Elisa
  • UnderwoodUnderwood Philadelphia, PA
    edited March 2015
    These thoughts just popped into my head, so I could (probably) just be connecting dots that aren't there. Anyways I'm almost sure it was Enid who took Ricks gun from the blender. We know for a fact that she was outside of the safe zone during the same time the group was broken down on the road just a couple of miles from Alexandria. So its justifiable that she was in the woods close to the house when Rick hid the gun. I found what a poster said last page about maybe Enid is taking supplies to another camp outside the walls interesting. What if they sent her there to essentially be a spy? They know any half decent people aren't going to reject a a child, even if they weren't watched cleared by Aaron and Eric. When Carl is first introduced to her, he's told that she was "on the road for a while too" and just entered Alexandria three weeks prior. It would be a really interesting sub plot if Rick and the group find out that she's been helping out this dangerous group ( maybe the "wolves"? ) the whole time by giving them info and supplies as they plan their attack. What do they do with her? Exile or worse?
    TraviscolleenElisaA_Ron_Hubbard