Happy ending, indeed.

TravisvoodooratdavemcbwasiMichelleGarageMovieGuy

Comments

• Ha! That's awesome.
  • Neil is gonna be so pissed
  • davemcbdavemcb Melbourne
    soo many white jumpsuits and cartons of cigarettes can be purchased now
    GredalBee
  • Fuck a RV full of TNT. The GR can now afford a damn nuclear bomb.
    All the Chickens
  • I don't get it?
  • wasiwasi Melbourne, AU
    Hatorian said:

Fuck a RV full of TNT. The GR can now afford a damn nuclear bomb.

Or anti drone weaponary.

• DeeDee Adelaide
    Why on earth would you go public if you'd won that much money? Crazy.

Also, I saw a news thing of her and lady, spit your gum out. You're on TV. Jebus.
  • Dee said:

Why on earth would you go public if you'd won that much money? Crazy.

Also, I saw a news thing of her and lady, spit your gum out. You're on TV. Jebus.

In some states in order to collect the prize you have to appear on TV and agree to have your name and town you live in published. I do wish it was allowed to be anonymous, but these days they want the publicity. You CAN have a lawyer accept in a trust/etc (they'll take publicity photo), but you still have to have that press conference.
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    @KingKobra Wow! That's kind of dangerous - she's just had to get out there and show her face to every robber and kidnapper?
    KingKobra
  • Dee said:

@KingKobra Wow! That's kind of dangerous - she's just had to get out there and show her face to every robber and kidnapper?

Yes, it's a rule, otherwise you can't collect the jackpot. Some states to allow you to have a lawyer accept (via trust) or collect anonymously, but not all. If you think about it, she accepted right before the hurricane news cycle, her story will be buried, except for those that look for her.
  • The more likely issue with public noteriety from winning the lottery is family and friends trying to get their piece of the pie.
    edited August 26
    KingKobra said:

Dee said:

Yes, it's a rule, otherwise you can't collect the jackpot. Some states to allow you to have a lawyer accept (via trust) or collect anonymously, but not all. If you think about it, she accepted right before the hurricane news cycle, her story will be buried, except for those that look for her.
    They actually changed the laws here around lotto winners having to be named after a child was kidnapped and ended up being murdered after they named the lottery winners and that was in the 60's. Now you have the rights to stay anonymous, most of the time you just here a man from this suburb won the jackpot etc.
  • davemcb said:

KingKobra said:

Dee said:

They actually changed the laws here around lotto winners having to be named after a child was kidnapped and ended up being murdered after they named the lottery winners and that was in the 60's. Now you have the rights to stay anonymous, most of the time you just here a man from this suburb won the jackpot etc.
    If only all states were tbat way...:(
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    Alkaid13 said:

The more likely issue with public noteriety from winning the lottery is family and friends trying to get their piece of the pie.

Well, that too. And loads of begging letters.

• DeeDee Adelaide
    davemcb said:

KingKobra said:

Dee said:

Ooh, I don't know that I've heard of this case, do you have a link?
    @Dee its the Graeme Thorne case here is the wiki page but there are links from it https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graeme_Thorne_kidnapping
    Dee
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    @davemcb Ohhhh, yes of course. I did vaguely know about that. Cheers for the link.
    davemcb
  • wasiwasi Melbourne, AU
    I'm happy to win the lotto and take the chance of someone kidnapping my cat or having to deal with grubby relatives..
  • All the ChickensAll the Chickens Birmingham, AL
    I imagine you can do what other rich people do. Seclude yourself from the poors, hire protection, etc.
  • All the ChickensAll the Chickens Birmingham, AL
    Get a new cell phone #. Take your family away for a while.
  • edited August 26
    >Win lottery

>Over the years, resentment and envy cause you to lose connection to all your friends & family

>End up destitute and bankrupt

>Departure happens

>Form guilty remnant