Hannibal (Fridays at 10pm on NBC)

What do you guys think of Hannibal? Do you ever think about covering it? I personally believe that it is one of the best shows on both network television and television as a whole.

It's definitely not a show that is afraid to be ballsy and gore ridden, often times going the extra mile. I think the cinematography is on par with the HBO series True Detective, well, actually I think that it is better. The sound design is amazing as well.

There are a few annoying things such as some characters seemingly supernatural abilities but the acting and story is so good that it is easy to ignore that. One thing that always makes me think is how is it that a network show can have more courage to do more controversial stuff than a show on cable television. AMC's Walking Dead specifically.

Whereas I felt like many times Walking Dead has skirt around issues, Hannibal has taken them head on and even going the extra mile to really push viewers limits. Also, the fanbase is much more arty.

As for the story of Hannibal itself, I find that NBC's portrayal is my favourite rendition and that I can now not imagine anyone else playing these characters.

Comments

• TaraC73TaraC73 Manchester NH
    Has this been renewed? I have the last or so 5 episodes saved on my DVR, but can't get into them. I really likes the beginning of the series. It's tough because you really have to sit and watch Hannibal and I have very little time to do that (3 kids, by the time they are in bed my energy is sapped!) should I try and finish up Last season? Was it really good?
  • TaraC73 said:

Has this been renewed? I have the last or so 5 episodes saved on my DVR, but can't get into them. I really likes the beginning of the series. It's tough because you really have to sit and watch Hannibal and I have very little time to do that (3 kids, by the time they are in bed my energy is sapped!) should I try and finish up Last season? Was it really good?

It has been renewed and in my opinion you should try to finish the rest of the season, if you can. I will agree Hannibal does demand that you would sit uninterrupted and watch because there is so much going on in the episode.
  • Gan said:

What do you guys think of Hannibal? Do you ever think about covering it? I personally believe that it is one of the best shows on both network television and television as a whole.

It's definitely not a show that is afraid to be ballsy and gore ridden, often times going the extra mile. I think the cinematography is on par with the HBO series True Detective, well, actually I think that it is better. The sound design is amazing as well.

There are a few annoying things such as some characters seemingly supernatural abilities but the acting and story is so good that it is easy to ignore that. One thing that always makes me think is how is it that a network show can have more courage to do more controversial stuff than a show on cable television. AMC's Walking Dead specifically.

Whereas I felt like many times Walking Dead has skirt around issues, Hannibal has taken them head on and even going the extra mile to really push viewers limits. Also, the fanbase is much more arty.

As for the story of Hannibal itself, I find that NBC's portrayal is my favourite rendition and that I can now not imagine anyone else playing these characters.

I agree. Hannibal is done really well and this portrayal is truly awesome. I would like to see this covered as well.
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    I like Hannibal, watched all of season one, and I heard season two was even better. The problem is, if it comes back in the winter/early spring slot, we're fucked. Because we're already doing The Americans, Walking Dead, BrBa Season Two Rewatch, Better Call Saul, and Justified, and that's not counting American Horror Story and Girls which Cecily and I are covering (tentative on Girls), and any commissioned work we end up doing, the LWJ&A stuff, etc. Oh, and House of Cards drops somewhere in there. We thought for sure we'd cover it, but that workload is insane even for full time. Maybe some Bald Move TV discussion?
  • At a minimum, it's need to be covered on BMTV. It's one of the most unique shows on TV right now.
  • pavlovsbellpavlovsbell Brooklyn, NY
    Production for season 3 started late this year, so it may not return until April. If Bald Move is unable to cover it, or if people are looking for full-coverage, I recommend Digesting Hannibal. The hosts are familiar with the books and films, and they are pretty knowledgable about writing and production aspects. The hosts are one male and one female, and I like getting gender perspectives.

• Damn I was hoping to get the Bald Move touch on Hannibal but I do understand about the demanding schedule. Maybe pavlovsbell is right and we get a spring airing which in turn would help with scheduling.
  • It's definitely not airing any time before April, I think. I'm okay with BMTV discussion at minimum if the schedule is too packed. Season 2 is very much a step up from season one, in every way. It starts somewhat as procedural as the first season but it really opens up as it goes along. Season 3 will probably break away from the procedural format entirely.

I am glad to see that you liked season one. Get on two ASAP. :)
  • TaraC73TaraC73 Manchester NH
    null
    Thanks John! I left off after the bizarre guy sewn into horse storyline... I'll play catch up
    Over winter break.
  • broompersonbroomperson the Iron Islands
    I would say drop/postpone Breaking Bad rewatch for Hannibal.
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    Hannibal slipping it's schedule will definitely help, but on the other hand, we don't know when True Detective, Fargo, or The Leftovers will drop either, and the Mad Men / Game of Thrones season could get crazy as well. The one saving grace about this winter flood is that at least they're not all on Sunday night. Our maximum work load for Sunday night is 2 per week, unless we'd make a cast for a Sunday show come out on Wednesday or later, which we are loath to do.
  • pavlovsbellpavlovsbell Brooklyn, NY
    Fargo is slated for Fall 2015. Either Hawley or Landgraf (FX pres) said possibly November. The HBO Programming Director had said that they were hoping to start shooting True Detective in September for a summer 2015 release, but they just now started production and haven't even officially announced final casting. The thing about HBO is they release a series whenever; they don't rush them. You could go for almost two years between some seasons of The Sopranos, which granted was a while ago and they lost viewers over it, so maybe they will stick to a summer release, but I wouldn't expect it sooner.
  • chriskchrisk Indianapolis
    They've said late spring for Hannibal. Americans actually got pushed up to January. Would love casts on both of those, but especially Hannibal. Warning to all though, if the logistical problems on Walking Dead bother you, Hannibal is basically built on plot holes and impossible things. Thought it's less bothersome because it's so good.
  • Are you saying that Hannibal airs in January because that's not right at all. It's quite impossible since they only filming this month. Also, as sort of a disclaimer people should expect the beginning of the third season of Hannibal to be VERY different than season 1 and

Also I don't think there's a lot of plot holes,? The main problem with the show are the characters somehow supernatural like abilities. It's dumb but forgivable.
  • No, @chrisk‌ says that The Americans starts in January. Premiere is Jan. 28. From everything I've read, Hannibal S3 is supposed to premiere in late spring of 2015 as he says.
  • Frakkin TFrakkin T Currently Offline
    Season 2 was terrible. They believed too much of their own hype and forgot to make a story that was actually interesting. The visual/dreamy stuff is cool but they let that drive the story instead of the other way around.
  • chriskchrisk Indianapolis
    Bah. Season 2 was better IMO. They largely put the procedural-like elements on the back burner and focused on the game going on between Lecter and Will. I thought it was plenty interesting.
  • I'm with @chrisk‌ on S2. Loved it.
  • Season 2 was much better, it's one of my favourite TV shows of all time because of how awesome season 2 was.
This discussion has been closed.