607 - "The Hunt"

A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
Director: John Dahl
Writer: Taylor Elmore & Keith Schreier

Comments

• A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    Man, Boyd getting out the 95 Pappy was awesome.
    Travis
    Man, that was incredible. Half way in, this is such a satisfying way to end the series. I wasn't expecting either, but I totally bought wynona taking Raylan back and ava and Boyds mutual forgiveness session, although the jury is still out on Boyd, I think. God that was good.
    Original_JosephTravisduncanpowers
  • ajknickajknick Madison WI
    Rachel gives Raylan way too much shit and Wynona gives him a free pass. seriously my wife hasn't given me that much credit in Six years of concentrated dadness that Raylan gets for three hours of daddy work. but for Rachel, what is her problem? Raylan has not done much wrong since she has been interim boss that I can think of
    Travis
    Yeah, I don't get that kind of slack either, but then again I'm not Raylan Givens, haha.
    ajknickksa1001
    If I were to criticize the final season Id say Boyd has been a little too "yeehah" good ol boy and Sam Elliot is not quite the arch baddie I hoped for. Choo choo was fantastic, I can't imagine sea bass being a serious menace going forward. Maybe Ty will recover enough to make an impact on the end game.
  • pavlovsbellpavlovsbell Brooklyn, NY
    Goodness, that episode spun my head.  I have to rewatch so I can fully comprehend everything that just happened.
    ajknick said:

If I were to criticize the final season Id say Boyd has been a little too "yeehah" good ol boy and Sam Elliot is not quite the arch baddie I hoped for. Choo choo was fantastic, I can't imagine sea bass being a serious menace going forward. Maybe Ty will recover enough to make an impact on the end game.

I disagree.  My take on Boyd is he really amped up the "YEEHAW!" as a way to play false his very intense emotions regarding Ava's betrayal, and to unsettle her, which seemed to all work. Ava and Boyd's reconcillation (which again, I'm not too sure about, Boyd's face when he was swapping out the pistol's magazine was very hard to read; he could be relieved that Ava didn't try to kill him and thus proved her loyalty, OR he could be thinking "how can I trust this woman even after all of this) was just a fantastic scene.

And Avery Markham has really exceeded my expectations.  His dance with Art in the Marshall's office was just awesome.  I don't think he can quite top Mags, but then again the season is just half over.  To me, this season has been sheer pleasure to watch.
    Original_Josephksa1001Travis
    Any scene with Art is gold for me. but as far as Markhams master plan he seems impossibly far from achieving it at this point, and as far as who framed the guy we never met years ago, Me and dead owls don't give a hoot. we've seen the outsider bad guy be completely flummoxed by Harlan County plot before. and seriously, Rachel your going to give Raylan shit for only having One Helicopter?!? What is he, J Edgar Hoover?
  • pavlovsbellpavlovsbell Brooklyn, NY
    I think the reason why the show keeps focusing on the Markham rat is because it must relate to Raylan in some way.  That's usually the way Big Bads work.  Each seasonal villain has been tied to Arlo and / or the Givenses in some way.  (Maybe not S5 so much, which may be why it's the weakest.)  It struck me as odd that Markham said he never heard of Arlo when he knew Bo.  Maybe the rat was Arlo?  Is that a little too crackpot?

I loved the parallel trust and commitment stories of Raylan & Winona and Boyd & Ava.  The show has posited from the beginning that these two men are two sides of the same coin, and this episode presented them both with their personal stakes and a choice to make.  Raylan prioritized Winona and his daughter for the first time over his job, so what do we now think are the odds of him getting a happy ending?
    Original_Joseph
  • ksa1001ksa1001 Plano, TX
    I loved this episode as most have.

Winona and baby being in Kentucky makes me VERY nervous. No 5-star hotels huh? Isn't that that same shitty motel from Season 3, Episode 1 where Raylan pulled the tablecloth bit? Seriously folks, she took an Uber, go to a Hilton or something.

Slight gripe: HATE the cgi blood and gun shot wounds. What happened to squibs people? It's American Sniper all over again (sigh)
    Original_JosephTravis
  • Regarding hog hunting:

1) You can hunt razorbacks in Kentucky, but (a) only since about the 90s, when they started moving into the state and (b) there's no hunting season - they're classified as an invasive species, so if you see one during daylight hours, you are encouraged to just start shooting.

2) It would be funny if that's how Ava caught on to Boyd: "THERE'S NO SUCH THING AS RAZORBACK SEASON, YOU SON OF A BITCH!!!"

3) Feral hogs are seriously scary animals.  When you see a picture of a full sized one, you can understand how King Robert bit it.  I have a friend who hunts dear in Michigan, and pretty much the only thing that worries him in the wild is hogs or other people.

hunter-hog.jpg

pavlovsbellTravisFootballlordGeorgexile
  • I'm loving this season of Justified but Boyd is acting like Gomer Pyle on crack. Hopefully now that he knows what Ava is up to he can tone it down a little.
  • DrKenDrKen Chicago

Man, Boyd getting out the 95 Pappy was awesome.

I did a search to see if there actually was a warehouse fire in 1995 (there wasn't).  But, somebody did steal something like 65 barrels of the stuff from the distillery a couple years ago.

Also, ran across this article which I thought was pretty interesting talking about the bourbon choices that Justified creators made to help define their characters.  I usually don't get into this type stuff but thought this one was pretty good.

Travis

• 2) It would be funny if that's how Ava caught on to Boyd: "THERE'S NO SUCH THING AS RAZORBACK SEASON, YOU SON OF A BITCH!!!"

This literally made me laugh out loud.
  • TravisTravis CA
    edited March 2015

I did really like this episode, but as much as I liked it there was something that felt not quite optimal that I couldn't put my finger on until I was listening to the Holler Back Podcast this morning on my drive into work and the "yeah, that's it." feeling kicked in. So, this is built on a couple of things that Ryan Magee said (particularly the bottle episode comment that was the real "light bulb" moment), but here is my take. 

I kind of wish this had been mostly a Boyd and Ava bottle episode. Those scenes were so rich and so powerful, and that arc is so important that I honestly believe that you could have spent almost all of the episode with them. Building the tension even thicker and thicker to get to that amazing payoff with the gun and the (was it) forgiveness. As much time as they did spend with them and as much as it was incredibly effective it still felt a little rushed. As much as I loved the Art v. Avery scene and the Ty vs. dumb frat guys scenes, as well as most of the rest of the episode I mostly just wanted to be spending my time with Boyd and Ava. I was just totally sucked into what was happening there and wanted more of it, and I believe there was plenty of room.

Also, the other aspect of this that comes from Ryan Magee that I hadn't thought of but agreed with was that the stuff with Ty may have been even more effective if we had a week to let his situation breathe. You could still quickly set up the manhunt at the beginning of the episode as they did and pick up next week in more or less the same situation and move Art vs. Markham there and it could still play out just as effectively. I guess like I said, I really enjoyed those aspects, and I wanted to see all of it take place but it all kind of felt like getting away from where I wanted to be.

The third thing that I am probably on an island with between the HB cast and the comments here, I wasn't a big fan of bringing Wynona and the baby to KY. As much as the scenes were good and the baby was adorable and Raylan bringing the baby to the office was great, etc. I feel like all of this "you be you and we can still be us" and Raylan buying back into them... I don't know it just waters things down for me. I want Wynona and the baby and Florida to be this concept not something tangible. Something on Skype, not something in his hotel room. I think it hurts what they've been building. Of course, next week's episode could happen and it could make all of this perfect and I have no reason to doubt the Justified team, but I liked the whole point being about his life as an obsessed marshal at odds with stepping up to be a father, not him "getting back to Wynona." Maybe the whole "on again, off again" thing feels a little trite, maybe it feels like that relationship has just run its course and should be in the past, maybe it's just too pretty and clean (whether it plays out as a hallmark ending or a tragedy). I enjoyed the scenes they put in front of me, but when I woke up this morning and was thinking about the episode it just kind of left a bad taste in my mouth. I feel like the point is his daughter, not Wynona. Too clean and too bow tied with pretty wrapping. Justified is about messy and complicated and this feels too rushed and unrealistic. I'm sitting here and it is making me thing of Maggie and Doodle-Bug as far as things being weird and contrived and I just don't really like it.

That's a lot of bitching considering the fact that I did really enjoy the episode and that I had a blast watching it, but like I said it felt not optimized, and as much as I liked the Raylan and Wynona stuff if you look at this episode in a vacuum it still feels very problematic.

• TravisTravis CA
    edited March 2015

Also, because I feel like maybe I came off as bitching too much considering how great this show is I also wanted to praise the show in the fact that this is an amazing season. My wife and I have been watching the last season of Cougar Town and feeling like it isn't clicking like it should and has in the past and reflecting on the planned last seasons of other shows that we have watched and their shortcomings and we are both so impressed by this show and Parks and Recreation for ending so amazingly strong. It's so wonderful that we get to go out on one of the best Parks seasons in the show's run, and perhaps (assuming things play out as strongly as they have and I'm confident that they will) maybe Justified's best season (bold statement, sure, but damn this season has been great). Props and kudos and respect and hell yeah!

******* Edit to my post above******

Unfortunately, it's too late to edit my initial post, but I'll do it here (so as to not make a third). Maybe the manhunt stuff is fine in this episode and I get that you need the excuse of Wynona to keep Raylan out of the fray (and for him to get the call about her being at the cabin where he elects to do nothing) but maybe I just wanted the episode to be Boyd and Ava and the Ty/Avery plots without the Wynona and Raylan stuff. Maybe that's just where it ends. I really, really liked the Avery and Ty lines and they did fit well. I just wanted more time with Boyd and Ava and I wanted their situation to breathe and build more. Take a little more time. Combine that with the complaints I had about the Wynona and Raylan stuff and you land at my feelings on the episode. Sorry I'm a little scattered on this, but I've done my employed the disservice of doing a lot of thinking about Justified this morning.

• chriskchrisk Indianapolis
    I didn't see enough of Ava after her admission to know that she's completely back in with Boyd. The guy just finished bruising her neck. It would be tough, but she could pull triple agent duty going forward. Have Boyd thinking she's feeding bad info to Raylan, while she's actually setting him up. 

Though in general I haven't been too happy with how helpless they've made Ava the past couple of seasons.
    Travis
  • Yeah, I like how the big honest moment with Boyd and Ava was totally just a surface event. We are still at a point where we have no idea what either of their real motivations are. It's clear that neither of them fully trusts the other, and we as the audience can't even be sure what their intentions for each other are. I like this a lot. That scene played out perfectly. The hugs and the looks and Boyd's switched clip. If I were guess, I think that they were being more or less honest with the sort of "back to square one catharsis" of a conversation, and the gun was just a test and Ava still really does love Boyd and vice versa, but we can't say for sure. They could totally, and have that scene as basis make this whole thing go any way they want to from here. I think that's a good thing too. I like how this show keeps you on your toes.

The one thing that I do disagree with a bit though is that I don't think they've made Ava helpless (in this season at least, season 5 was a total mess for her character on so many levels), I think they have put her in an amazingly difficult and incredibly dangerous situation. I believe there is a difference. I actually think she has shown a bit of cunning, but I also imagine the toll it would take to be in her spot. The mixture of danger and emotional turmoil. I wouldn't call her helpless, just very torn and wanting very badly to survive.

A_Ron_Hubbard
  • JerryBJerryB MetroWest Boston
    I got the feeling that Ty's bathroom surgery was a wink at Terminator.  Dillahunt played the Terminator in SCC.
    TravisA_Ron_Hubbard

• JerryB said:

I got the feeling that Ty's bathroom surgery was a wink at Terminator.  Dillahunt played the Terminator in SCC.

Was that show any good? I was skeptical about a network tv version, but Dillahunt is great and it would be a trip to see him play the Terminator.
  • @Travis (hello again!)
    I totally agree the episode should have focused solely on the Boyd/Ava story. I was completely sucked into every scene-and that last one was definitely one of the best of the series (I mean, I don't usually care about or keep up with awards, but the acting in that scene alone deserves all of them!). Absolutely love that they have Boyd find out this (relatively) early in the season that Ava is a CI. Better than letting it drag on too long. And the fact that they could still be playing each other will make for some amazing tv. These final 6 episodes are going to be exhausting to watch, in the best possible way just like this one was, for me anyway.
    And on another note, I really hope the Ty/Avery Markham stuff is going to pay off explosively, which is what it looks like is going to happen. Ty Walker looked like such a menacing badass character It'd be a shame if they just offed him like this. And as amazing as Sam Elliot is, I hope they have him do something big, besides just sit and talk to people, as great as that is.
    Also, I think the Winona/Baby scenes were to specifically remind people that Raylan is actually risking his life trying to catch all the bad guys when there is a family waiting for him. (We haven't really seen them in a while). Now, if it was necessary, I don't know, but I'm thinking that was their point.

The preview for the next episode looks great, so I can't wait to see all this come together.
    Last note- We need more Wynn Duffy before this is over! Haha, what are the odds of him coming out alive?
    Travis
  • TravisTravis CA
    edited March 2015

@Emily I totally agree about Wynn Duffy. He's probably my favorite non Boyd or Raylan Justified fixture (at least depending on how you define "fixture." Dickie Bennett is pretty fabulous). Kind of like Jim and A.Ron were saying I came into this season thinking that Wynn and Mikey would end up driving off into the sunset. I just think Wynn is a survivor. Nothing would surprise me, but if I were to place a bet that's where I'd go (at least Wynn, I give Mikey a 50/50 chance).

One concern I have about Wynona's return is that I am now about 95% certain that they are going to put her in jeopardy and it just all feels too convenient. I also may not have been the biggest Wynona/Raylan coupling fan anyway, but that aside it just doesn't feel right. It doesn't make sense from her perspective. I mean she leaves him for not being a real participant in their relationship and then he proceeds to not see his daughter for months and then she comes up to Kentucky to come get him back. I love Justified and I'm sure they'll make it right, but I feel like this whole situation is convenient and problematic (which is funny because in general I'm a really big belief suspension guy, but I guess I'm also pretty big on good shows being true to their characters). Like A.Ron has been known to say, I kind of hear the typewriters clicking here and I hate that with Justified because I feel like they're just better than that. I should have more faith though. I'm sure that I'll probably be totally wrong and have to eat my words in the end.

I totally agree with everything else. I can't wait to see Ty vs. Avery. Man, Dillahunt is KILLING it this season. He's so fun to watch. It's also funny because I was a big Raising Hope fan and it's pretty hilarious to see Burt Chance killing people and threatening dumb frat guys in such an incredibly awesome and bad ass manner.

• @Travis I loved Terminator: Sarah Conner Chronicles. Lena Heady was fantastic, and Dillahunt was spectacular on that show. The weak link was the kid who played John Connor. 
    Travis
  • TravisTravis CA
    edited March 2015
    @hypergenesb Cersei was in that too? Crazy. Thanks for the tip, man. I'll have to give that a look.
  • JerryBJerryB MetroWest Boston
    @Travis My wife and I enjoyed the SCC series quite a bit.  I only watched it while it was on, so I don't know if it will stand the test of time.  It certainly wasn't perfect.

Then I watched 'Raising Hope', and Dillahunt's Burt character made me laugh out loud.  It really was my kind of humor.  Justified and Looper caps it for me, I am a Dillahunt fan and I hope he is around for awhile.

Travis
  • TravisTravis CA
    edited March 2015
    JerryB said:

@Travis My wife and I enjoyed the SCC series quite a bit.  I only watched it while it was on, so I don't know if it will stand the test of time.  It certainly wasn't perfect.

Then I watched 'Raising Hope', and Dillahunt's Burt character made me laugh out loud.  It really was my kind of humor.  Justified and Looper caps it for me, I am a Dillahunt fan and I hope he is around for awhile.

You and me both, man. He was the best part of Raising Hope, which was a show with a whole lot of great parts. That's one of my favorite sitcoms. I really have to check out SCC. I just can't picture him as the Terminator, but I'm sure he was really awesome at it. So intriguing.

Also, I've only seen far enough to see one of his characters in Deadwood, but he was great in that too. Such a weird, shitty dude. He was great.

Another cosign for the Sarah Conner Chronicles. Summer Glau did good work as the "good" terminator as well. Really bummed it didn't make it.
    Travis
  • @Travis
    Oh, yeah, agree with all your points. But I trust the creators know what they're doing with Winona and baby and it'll pay off.
    And yeah, Dillahunt is so good, very underrated. Great in Deadwood, he made my skin crawl. And hilarious in Raising Hope!
    I honesty have no idea if they'll kill Wynn Duffy or not. He's kind of like a cockroach of the show, survives anything for some reason, but then again I felt that way about Dewey Crowe, and look what happened to him. However, I feel like they're going to do something really big with Wynn.
    We'll see next episode- talk to you then!
    Travis